Menu

Ignore this thread!

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Dh put a lot of work into something for me today and I have thoroughly pissed him off by asking him to redo it the way I originally requested before he started.  Sigh.  Will they ever learn?  :laugh:

No.

(((Susan & Mr. Susan)))

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Junie said:

I just slogged through Oliver Twist.  I'm not going to kill you.  There are rules about that.  However, I do question your sanity.  🙂

Maybe the difference is that you have boys and I have (mostly) girls.

I love Oliver Twist...

Probably is that, plus I have a strong love for really intricate plots with ten million characters,  so, it kind of makes sense.

• Like 3

I went to the Spanish service at church tonight.  :)

I had talked to the Hispanic Pastor about joining his Bible study and he was very welcoming.  As was everyone in the service.  I introduced myself to the group and told them that I knew some Spanish but I was wanting to learn more.  The Hispanic pastor speaks fairly slow Spanish and he has very good diction.  I estimate that I was able to understand about 70 percent of what he said. The others in the service spoke much more quickly and I was not able to understand as much.  I definitely has some deer-in-the-headlights moments, especially when someone asked me a question.

It was a good experience and I'm excited to go back next Wednesday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hello, Just checking in to say Hi!  I'm exhausted this week between wizard camp, 4-H fair stuff and life in general.  Two more days of camp (which is going extremely well and is lots of fun), then two days of set-up at the fair grounds, then a few days where I can do home stuff during the day but have to be at the fair grounds every evening (I'm chairperson for two different categories - science and fine arts so I have to be there for check-in and judging), then 3 1/2 days of fair, THEN I can rest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I love Oliver Twist...

Probably is that, plus I have a strong love for really intricate plots with ten million characters,  so, it kind of makes sense.

Unrelated.

I'm looking at the creative writer. I would like to use it as a fun, on the side supplement and not a core curriculum. So maybe once a week, casually? It says it's for 5th graders and I am concerned about the quantity of output expected. Can I get it and just use it as a tool the way I want to?

10 hours ago, Junie said:

I just slogged through Oliver Twist.  I'm not going to kill you.  There are rules about that.  However, I do question your sanity.  🙂

Maybe the difference is that you have boys and I have (mostly) girls.

I remember Gymnast picked up our large tome of Dickens' works and asked me to read something. I don't even remember what I started reading, maybe Oliver Twist, but Dancer and I found the introduction so funny, I could barely read. Maybe it was the way he worded things so "majestically" to talk about the baser things. And how long the sentences were. But it was hilarious. I think Dancer finished the book on her own time.

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

The bullfrog just stuffed a cricket into his mouth.  Yum!

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Unrelated.

I'm looking at the creative writer. I would like to use it as a fun, on the side supplement and not a core curriculum. So maybe once a week, casually? It says it's for 5th graders and I am concerned about the quantity of output expected. Can I get it and just use it as a tool the way I want to?

Isn't that what you do with just about everything? ...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Renai said:

Isn't that what you do with just about everything? ...

Yes, but WWS is scripted and detailed and would be a total pain in the butt to use in any way other than that which it was intended and if the creative writer is similar then I will not buy it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Have you looked at the Getting To Know The World's Greatest... by Mike Venezia? He has artists, inventors, composers, and presidents. Mine love them.

Memoria Press also has sets of Art Cards that might be useful. The Enrichment guides for JrK - 2nd have a bunch of stuff that might help. They also have lists of music.

Doesn't Rainbow Resource have some kind of geography game? The name escapes me.

I bet Sonlight might have Missionary books that could be what you need.

HTH!

We've done (and love!) Venezia but I'm looking for a single book, independent collection.

European and American centered.

Yes, lots! I've been looking.

Not a collection. They use YWAM.

I am difficult. If you don't believe me just ask ITT. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite stories in the whole world. I think that’s all I’ve read of Dickens, though. So, I can’t really say I like him or not. I do know that I can’t stand Jane Austin. (And I am ducking now as I can see the rotten tomatoes coming my way).

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The portable ac thermostat read 92 degrees in the bedroom. I decided to turn on its fan. We have an actual fan that is way less noisy, but alas, it is kaput. It is moving, but nothing comes out. I want to try to operate on it tomorrow. 

Speaking of tomorrow, I should be asleep now. Good night!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi. I snuggled a bunny. I live it when Rusty uses his front paws to dig at me. 

So did we! Dancer has a pair, that pair just had another litter. There were 6 2-week old bunnies. Very cute.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Svengo, Toto!

Yeah, but on the bright side I haven't slept this well in ages.   I'm asleep about 5 minutes after hitting the bed.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

I used to use nicknames. The academic and the artist. I hate DH because on another forum I was on it meant d!ckhead and I still see that.

I get called out for using their real names and posting pictures. It bothers some hive members. The thing is that so many people are so good with computers that it doesn't matter. One woman who had no personal information in her profile but gave tidbits of information in posts on occasion challenged me to find out anything I could about her. It took me about 5 minutes to send her utility bill to her personal email. I do not look people up online but she challenged me to so I did. So I use real names. It's easier. :laugh:

I don't think I have names in my signature but I do use names when talking about the kids.  If someone knows me IRL, they are going to know this is me just based on things I post and my first name isn't exactly common for someone my age.  Plus I used to link to my blog with pictures of the kids.   If someone doesn't know me, they can probably figure it out as well but it won't be because of our names.   There are about 15 people with dh's exact name and 8 or 9 with my exact name living in my general area right now.  At least 4 of the women with my exact name are also within 5 years of my age.    But I'm sure I've shared enough that someone could figure it out if they really tried.  Heck, lately I've linked once or twice to my business page and that has my full name and business address.   

• Like 4

Good morning!

Septic Tank Guy!  Let us know if he's handsome.

I remember looking for a lefty scissors when dd12 was younger.  And finally a parent in the AFSA school supply Zone of Terror told me that all scissors are made for right AND left hand now.  Dd12 uses scissors on a continual basis and I've never bought (or found) a lefty scissors.  Also, teaching her to write was no big deal.  If something was in a 3-ring binder, I would put the "writing" pages on the left side so the rings wouldn't get in her way.  That was early on.  Now I just give her the same stuff everyone else has and she does fine.

Dh is going to stop by the walk-in clinic today on the way to work to have them check out his owie side. The girls have a summer music lesson this afternoon and I am hoping to be able to have everyone try the Muppet Medley at some point.

I'm on the verge of ordering The Art of Arugment for ds14.  Somebody stop me if this is a really bad idea.  I might have dd16 do it with him, since she really struggled with Traditional Logic a while back.  I am still super impressed with Writing and Rhetoric.  We will be doing levels 5 and 6 this year.  But enough of this educational mumbo jumbo...

Coffee!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

I remember looking for a lefty scissors when dd12 was younger.  And finally a parent in the AFSA school supply Zone of Terror told me that all scissors are made for right AND left hand now.  Dd12 uses scissors on a continual basis and I've never bought (or found) a lefty scissors.  Also, teaching her to write was no big deal.  If something was in a 3-ring binder, I would put the "writing" pages on the left side so the rings wouldn't get in her way.  That was early on.  Now I just give her the same stuff everyone else has and she does fine.

Dh is going to stop by the walk-in clinic today on the way to work to have them check out his owie side. The girls have a summer music lesson this afternoon and I am hoping to be able to have everyone try the Muppet Medley at some point.

I'm on the verge of ordering The Art of Arugment for ds14.  Somebody stop me if this is a really bad idea.  I might have dd16 do it with him, since she really struggled with Traditional Logic a while back.  I am still super impressed with Writing and Rhetoric.  We will be doing levels 5 and 6 this year.  But enough of this educational mumbo jumbo...

Coffee!

He's been here before - young, knowledgeable, professional, and communicates well, (quite a contrast to the folks we had out in years past) and seemed to know a lot about septic tank stuff.  Highly recommend.  

• Like 2

Susan, my dd12 is a lefty, too.

A long time ago I asked her if she needed different scissors because she's left-handed.  She told me that she cuts right-handed.  :svengo:

She also eats right-handed.  I *think* that the only thing that she does left-handed is write.

Several people in my family on my step-dad's side were/are lefties.  That does not explain how dd12 is.  

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!!~D

I slept horribly. Just horribly. DH (that would be Dear Husband) is still in S. Korea and I don’t sleep well when he’s not there. Well, I actually think it’s just sleeping alone because DD3 (that would be third daughter who is 8 years old) slept with me Tuesday and I slept great. I just had a hard time falling asleep last night because I kept hearing every single little sound. Plus, I kept having panic attacks about my new job.

Today I work our school’s booth at a new homeschool convention in the Big City. The kids are going to my in-laws.

I just let three different cats into the house from three different doors. They all pick a door and sit there yowling to be let in until I go around and let them in. I swear they are so spoiled.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Funny about dd, ds and dh abbreviations, I think them in my own thoughts when I'm writing emails or other such things even to people who aren't on the forum.  Then I have to mentally edit and either use their names or spell it out.  😂

I do this too!  :laugh:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!! :blink:

COFFEE!!!!!!!~D  :wub:

I slept horribly. Just horribly. DH (that would be Dear Husband) is still in S. Korea and I don’t sleep well when he’s not there. Well, I actually think it’s just sleeping alone because DD3 (that would be third daughter who is 8 years old) slept with me Tuesday and I slept great. I just had a hard time falling asleep last night because I kept hearing every single little sound. Plus, I kept having panic attacks about my new job.  :sad:

Today I work our school’s booth at a new homeschool convention in the Big City. The kids are going to my in-laws.  :smile:

I just let three different cats into the house from three different doors. They all pick a door and sit there yowling to be let in until I go around and let them in. I swear they are so spoiled.  :rolleyes:

More coffee!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

Jason Lisle just came out with a logic curriculum from Master books. I absolutely love him and that is what I will be using. I have heard many good things about art of argument but not the sequels. I also hear good things about fallacy Detective but one person mentioned that they use the argument that it's in the Bible as a support that something is true. Now, I believe 100% that if something is in the Bible that it's true, but that is not logic.

53 minutes ago, Junie said:

Susan, my dd12 is a lefty, too.

A long time ago I asked her if she needed different scissors because she's left-handed.  She told me that she cuts right-handed.  :svengo:

She also eats right-handed.  I *think* that the only thing that she does left-handed is write.

Several people in my family on my step-dad's side were/are lefties.  That does not explain how dd12 is.  

She's amphibious.

Amphibious1-300x149.png

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I put my kids ages when referring to them. I thought that was what most people did here. Ie ds22 and dd17. 

I challenged someone here to find my real identity from what I have posted years ago. I am still waiting.   Slache can’t do that challenge because she knows my real name etc already. 

Well since Slache is the only one savvy enough to do it, you're safe!  😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Coffee!

Susan, The Art of Argument is fabulous. Discovery of Deduction was lousy, but Art of Argument was great.

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

My Baby is a lefty. And I spent all kinds of $ on a lefty scissors and warned her not to lose it. And now Susan tells me they make them for both. Willy-nilly Guy. Svengo.

The ones that claim to be for both never, ever work for my lefty. The lefty ones are a staple here.

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

He's been here before - young, knowledgeable, professional, and communicates well, (quite a contrast to the folks we had out in years past) and seemed to know a lot about septic tank stuff.  Highly recommend.  

Points for quoting self.  So, it was not the owner this time, but still someone adequately knowledgeable to complete the job and answer my questions.  And now that I have no overflow worries I'm back on laundry that has been piling up.  <svengo>

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I put my kids ages when referring to them. I thought that was what most people did here. Ie ds22 and dd17. 

I challenged someone here to find my real identity from what I have posted years ago. I am still waiting.   Slache can’t do that challenge because she knows my real name etc already. 

I'm not sure I could do this. Newcastle obvs, but the person I mentioned linked to another account with a last name. So a description of her town here and a last name on another account. If I were really good I could get you through your phone since you post here on it, but I don't know how.

• Like 2

I have spent too much time trying to find myself online.  I could not bring up anything on me using the name I use here.  I could find myself eventually using my given name (which I do not use here).  I couldn't find my husband using the name he goes by.  I also couldn't find him using his given name (which is also different than the name he goes by) but if I put his given name with my given name, then we pop up immediately.  I think that last part is weird. 

• Like 2

Afternoon. Spent the morning at art after waking up too early and physically crying because this is the fourth day in a row that I've been awakened in the middle of a REM cycle. I am so, so tired. I sleep okay, but when I get yanked out of a dream by a cat biting my fingers (he likes to make sure I'm not dead--frequently) and then am sick at my stomach because it's too early and there's stuff to do, I just get overwhelmed. Yes, it's petty. I don't care. I'm tired.

Rant over.

Art was good, and after a few cups of tea and resting while painting with my art buddy, I feel a little better about life, the evil sunshine, the unbearable heat, and the cat that likes to bite me awake. But I've got to do something about being woken up to early, or I'll be biting people myself by the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, Renai said:

The portable ac thermostat read 92 degrees in the bedroom. I decided to turn on its fan. We have an actual fan that is way less noisy, but alas, it is kaput. It is moving, but nothing comes out. I want to try to operate on it tomorrow. 

Speaking of tomorrow, I should be asleep now. Good night!

In other news, the operation was a success! We again have a functional fan!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

Susan, The Art of Argument is fabulous. Discovery of Deduction was lousy, but Art of Argument was great.

I haven't looked at DoD yet, but is there a primary reason people hate it? Have you looked at Argument Builder?  That would be my main interest after AoA.

• Like 1

Juliet was a great errand partner.  Except for the time she tried to climb into the front seat despite being tethered to the back.  I was trying to drive and push her back at the same time. . .  

We went to two pharmacies (regular and compound) and the pet store for her food.  She stole some parmesan flavored dog biscuits from a large uncovered bin so I bought some for her since I figured that she must really like them if they made her embark on a life of crime. 

Then when I got home, dh wanted to go get the new Guava iced tea from Starbucks so I went with him and got my lunch there as well.  He thinks it's funny that Starbucks is like Cheers for me - all the young people working there stop and yell out "Jean!" when I walk in.  I introduced him to them all. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet was a great errand partner.  Except for the time she tried to climb into the front seat despite being tethered to the back.  I was trying to drive and push her back at the same time. . .  

We went to two pharmacies (regular and compound) and the pet store for her food.  She stole some parmesan flavored dog biscuits from a large uncovered bin so I bought some for her since I figured that she must really like them if they made her embark on a life of crime. 

Then when I got home, dh wanted to go get the new Guava iced tea from Starbucks so I went with him and got my lunch there as well.  He thinks it's funny that Starbucks is like Cheers for me - all the young people working there stop and yell out "Jean!" when I walk in.  I introduced him to them all. 

I love this!  ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1