Menu

Ignore this thread!

19 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm looking for something sciency like inventors. I'm trying to paint a picture of WHO lives there. I have artists, missionaries, meals from the area and maybe inventors but that seems to be very American and Euro centered (for good reason). Any other suggestions? It doesn't have to be sciency.

Why do you think it would be American and Euro-centered? You don't think there were inventors in other countries, or you think the books you want would lean toward America and Europe?

5 minutes ago, Renai said:

Why do you think it would be American and Euro-centered? You don't think there were inventors in other countries, or you think the books you want would lean toward America and Europe?

I'm not finding any that aren't. Do you have a suggestion? I specifically want a collection, not a series of books.

It is taking every ounce of self control I have not to rip my skin off even with the Benadryl gel.  I am going to eat low histamine foods tonight because I think that this whole histamine reaction got started and is a runaway train even though I have been out all day away from any possible mold and don't feel all that stressed. 

• Sad 5

I didn't spin too many wheels.  I got the backpacking food reboxed and put on the shelf and opened the mystery box and figured out a place to store it.  Got a lot done on the curriculum list including RainbowR and Amazon orders.  Had story time. Assisted with instrument practice.  Straightened some shelves.  Sprayed plants with neem oil.  Investigated tomatoes. Found a book. Looked for a book on inventors around the world and couldn't find anything really.  Made dinner.

• Like 3

Good morning!

Jean, I hope you can find something that will give you some relief!

Dh is working from home today in hopes that he can help his injured back/side recover a bit.  (He slipped and fell at scout camp last week and seems to have done something to the muscles around his ribs.)  When he mentioned this at breakfast, dd12 immediately asked if he would take her fishing!  :laugh:  Uh, no Sweetie, I'm gonna be in bed all day.

I have to go to Aldi and then get Some Things done.

Coffee!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Slache said:

Take two Benadryl and call me in the morning.

I don't follow the royals. I've never cared. I thought it was cool a little American girl actually grew up to be a princess.

Neither do I. But, I don't follow anyone...

1 hour ago, myblessings4 said:

Still trying to make school decisions.  They would be much easier to finalize if DD had already taken the test to see if she will be able to do dual enrollment.  

So, after going back and forth between the part time ps option and keeping Gymnast home, she'll be going to the part time ps. Dh prefers her home, but...

Then I said perhaps I could, but do CC on Tuesdays, but that would mean I'm not working during that time and she'd still be wandering aimlessly while I work after CC. He didn't want to pay for it.  In the end, we went with the ps. Only issue is, if we need to pull her out, there may be a problem as the state is trying to require things that are not required, and I've been underground the past year...

• Like 4

I talked to DH yesterday.it was 3:30pm on Tuesday here, and 7:30am on Wednesday there. It just seems so weird that he is literally on the other side of the world from me and we just talked on the phone like he was in the next town. His flight was fine. He didn’t sleep, so I guess when it was all said and done by the time he got there and settled he’s been awake about 24 hours, but he said he slept pretty well that night. He’s not in Seoul, but some 2.5 million people City a 45 minute flight from Seoul.

It’s Daegu. I looked it up. That’s in the kind of southwest part of S. Korea, whereas Seoul is in the north east.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Slache said:

Since I have failed to implement Drawing With Children twice I just put Mark Kistler's Draw Squad on hold. Wish me luck.

I implemented a portion of DWC with Dancer when she was about 7-8. We didn't finish, but what we did was good. In the end, I got the Drawing with Thomas Kincaide vhs tapes, and she did it on her own. I'd like to do that with Gymnast. Oh, we have The Great Courses Plus, and Gymnast got interested in one of the painting courses. Apparently, video art instruction goes over well here. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  Survived the night.  Benedryl doesn't do much (even the pills) but I was able to sleep a good portion of the night.  My one arm especially is still itching like crazy.  My other arm and my back itch too but not as badly.  My new approach - bathe it in tea tree oil.  That has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties so depending on the source of the hives, hopefully might get to the root of the problem. 

I have decided that it isn't stress induced.  Though this does add another layer of stress to my days. . .  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I like Meghan Markle though that doesn’t seem a popular opinion on that thread. 

Yeah, the thread got nasty after a while. 😞 

Let's keep this The Happy Place.  :)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Yeah, the thread got nasty after a while.  😞

I have decided not to even look any more.  I have decided that I don't want to be around negativity if I can help it.  Of course that doesn't mean that I don't want friends to share their real struggles or to ask for prayers or help but when people are just being negative and tearing people etc. down, then I don't want to be around it. 

It's a Pollyanna booyah!  Or really a  " Philippians 4:8, NIV: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."  booyah

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

It's 10 am and ALL my kids are still asleep! This does not bode well for school today. 

I know! Now that everyone finally got up, finally started breakfast, and finally finished breakfast I'm beginning to fade. We should be finishing up school within the hour but I've got at least 2 hours ahead of me. Gug.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

11 am still zonked out. What time did they finally go to sleep? The last one was still knocking on my door at 11:30 last night. Even Captain is sleeping! This is his usual nap time.

Hmmm. I feel like I could use this. Like if I can't sleep just stay up until morning. What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

We were up reasonably early to go to the lake. No school today. Some days just aren't for school, but are for fishing in the morning, boating, and then movies in the afternoon that have absolutely no educational value. 

Have decided that I like Charles Dickens more than Jane Austen. Don't anybody kill me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

EDPO

This is a whine.  Why does playing an instrument have to cost so much?  The cost for getting my flute refurbished has to come out of my curriculum money, and I had all these fun games and awesome things in my RR cart that now I can't get.  So I am pouting.  

I am happy DS wants to play the flute.  

I am happy that DH didn't make any negative comments to that end. 

I am just not happy that I can't buy all my goodies as a result.  Humph. 😞

#firstworldproblems

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ikslo said:

EDPO

This is a whine.  Why does playing an instrument have to cost so much?  The cost for getting my flute refurbished has to come out of my curriculum money, and I had all these fun games and awesome things in my RR cart that now I can't get.  So I am pouting.  

I am happy DS wants to play the flute.  

I am happy that DH didn't make any negative comments to that end. 

I am just not happy that I can't buy all my goodies as a result.  Humph. 😞

#firstworldproblems

Or maybe look on the bright side - you probably won't have time for the fun stuff, so you really saved yourself buyers remorse!  #felpful  😜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Since I have failed to implement Drawing With Children twice I just put Mark Kistler's Draw Squad on hold. Wish me luck.

I did it years and years ago with my oldest 3, but didn't do the whole book.  I really liked the eye relaxation exercises.  This year I'd like to try Kistler's You Can Draw It in Just 30 Minutes book - they can draw while I read at story time.

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Don’t feel bad. I failed at it, too. So many things are just lovely in theory....

This is true.

4 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

Still trying to make school decisions.  They would be much easier to finalize if DD had already taken the test to see if she will be able to do dual enrollment.  

From dd16's ACT scores, she can take any class that is not math or science related.  This year, I'll probably have her take American History and speech.  Hopefully her ACT math score will improve over the next year so she can take a math class her senior year.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi.  Survived the night.  Benedryl doesn't do much (even the pills) but I was able to sleep a good portion of the night.  My one arm especially is still itching like crazy.  My other arm and my back itch too but not as badly.  My new approach - bathe it in tea tree oil.  That has both anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties so depending on the source of the hives, hopefully might get to the root of the problem. 

I have decided that it isn't stress induced.  Though this does add another layer of stress to my days. . .  

Do you have any neem oil?  It's stinky but worked wonders when dd20 had bad eczema outbreaks.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

We were up reasonably early to go to the lake. No school today. Some days just aren't for school, but are for fishing in the morning, boating, and then movies in the afternoon that have absolutely no educational value. 

Have decided that I like Charles Dickens more than Jane Austen. Don't anybody kill me. 

I just slogged through Oliver Twist.  I'm not going to kill you.  There are rules about that.  However, I do question your sanity.  :)

Maybe the difference is that you have boys and I have (mostly) girls.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Do you have any neem oil?  It's stinky but worked wonders when dd20 had bad eczema outbreaks.

You know I had never heard of that, but then my friend’s son had a terrible accident on his bike (front wheel came OFF when he was doing a jump and his face got the brunt of it) and she’s putting neem oil on it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

True story: The short person read A Tale of Two Cities the summer after 5th or 6th grade. In a day. She loved it. 😐

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

True story: The short person read A Tale of Two Cities the summer after 5th or 6th grade. In a day. She loved it. 😐

Yeah, it took me weeks to finish Oliver Twist.  Dd16 read it in 2 days.  

I love A Tale of Two CitiesOliver Twist was ok, but it dragged a lot.  I won't be reading any Dickens for a while.  I need a break. :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

We are officially up and running with our solar system now. Yay!!!

Ooooo neat!  Next stop: Solar Freakin' Roadways! :laugh:

3 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I loved A Tale of Two Cities also, but I don't think I've ever finished any of his other novels.  A Cricket on the Hearth is one of my all-time favorite Christmas stories.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1