Menu

Ignore this thread!

I cleaned my bathtub today. This means I get to take a bath before bed. The day is looking up! I finished editing the first story, and then did a few more edits on the second, at least until the editor-in-fur plunked her furry butt on my pages and told me I was done and quit ruining that story! She's not right, but she does have whiskers, and so I have to obey.

Dinner was good, and I'm done with the cleaning for the day. I got through seven loads of laundry, three loads of dishes and I cleaned one whole corner of my room, the corner with my desk in it. I am tired!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

All the jam supplies and ingredients are ready to go.  I filled the canning pot with water.  Jars are in the dishwasher, ready to be washed in the morning.

I discovered recently that I love Earl Grey tea.

I love Earl Gray tea, with or without caffeine. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mama25angels said:

So, I have a few serious questions, do you have an instant pot?  If you do, what exactly do you make in it?  What are you reading right now?

Yes, I love my instant pot! I use it for yogurt and it rarely fails. When it's failed, it's been because I did something wrong and tried, foolishly, to salvage it. I've had it for about 3 years.

I make everything in it- it's so easy. I used to make all kinds of meat and poultry in it and it was always good, but we're mostly vegetarian now so I use it less. I still like it for making beans super quickly,  and I can make soups and stews, sauces, rice, lentils, etc. I never use it as a slow cooker.

I've been reading Madame Bovary forever- since the end of April. It's taking so long not because I'm a slow reader, or even because I dislike the book, but I dislike the characters so much, and it's like Anna Karenina- you know the train wreck is coming and you don't want to get there. When I pick it up, I like the book and find it compelling, but I don't have a strong desire to pick it up because Madame Bovary is such a pathetically terrible person and I find it scary that I can also relate to her. 

Booyah.

• Like 4

I was going to post about an hour ago about how Baby was actually sleeping in his crib for the 2nd time ever (first time was when he was bitty), and we were going to celebrate- but then he woke up after 5 min and I have been trying unsuccessfully to get him back down. So we're watching the Notekins and he's wide awake swinging now. ?‍♂️

He loves his mommy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I got a lot done today.

1 hour ago, Paige said:

Yes, I love my instant pot! I use it for yogurt and it rarely fails. When it's failed, it's been because I did something wrong and tried, foolishly, to salvage it. I've had it for about 3 years.

I make everything in it- it's so easy. I used to make all kinds of meat and poultry in it and it was always good, but we're mostly vegetarian now so I use it less. I still like it for making beans super quickly,  and I can make soups and stews, sauces, rice, lentils, etc. I never use it as a slow cooker.

I've been reading Madame Bovary forever- since the end of April. It's taking so long not because I'm a slow reader, or even because I dislike the book, but I dislike the characters so much, and it's like Anna Karenina- you know the train wreck is coming and you don't want to get there. When I pick it up, I like the book and find it compelling, but I don't have a strong desire to pick it up because Madame Bovary is such a pathetically terrible person and I find it scary that I can also relate to her. 

Booyah.

How do you make yogurt?

1 hour ago, Paige said:

I was going to post about an hour ago about how Baby was actually sleeping in his crib for the 2nd time ever (first time was when he was bitty), and we were going to celebrate- but then he woke up after 5 min and I have been trying unsuccessfully to get him back down. So we're watching the Notekins and he's wide awake swinging now. ?‍♂️

He loves his mommy.

My MIL would have a field day with this post. "You've just spoiled him!" "He has you trained!" I wonder why her children don't like her...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Slache said:

I got a lot done today.

How do you make yogurt?

My MIL would have a field day with this post. "You've just spoiled him!" "He has you trained!" I wonder why her children don't like her...

I do it pretty much like this blogger: https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-yogurt/ 

I purchase a starter from Amazon; euro yogurt or something, because I think it works better than using store bought yogurt as starter. Then, I can use yogurt I've made as a starter several times before opening a new packet and it lasts a very long time. I also have a cheese making bag I use to strain the yogurt to make it thicker. Before I got an instant pot, I'd make yogurt in the crock pot, but the instant pot is more reliable. When she mentions sterilizing the instant pot, I also sterilize my cheese bag at the same time. 

My mother would say and has said the exact same thing to me about Baby! I don't care. I never thought I'd have another baby and I'm not going to waste one night of cuddles to make him unhappy! I'd love for him to sleep better on his own (or at all!) but not as much as I'd hate to hear him cry. I have enough kids and old enough kids to know that what I do doesn't really matter anyway, so I'll choose cuddles over tears every time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I have a different brand instead of insta-pot.  I have had it probably a couple of years.  I haven't taken it out of the box.  A friend did, when I told her she could try mine before buying one, with the promise she wouls give me tips when I got it back.  She gave it back.and said she must be an instant pot failure because nothing turned out right.  She gave it back returned to the box, so it's still there.

I have 3 crock pots and use them regularly.  I have a silicone bowl microwave popcorn popper that we love.  I had a pressure cooker once but got rid of it when I didn't use it.

I use the coffeemaker every day.

Pure genius!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Paige said:

I do it pretty much like this blogger: https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-yogurt/ 

I purchase a starter from Amazon; euro yogurt or something, because I think it works better than using store bought yogurt as starter. Then, I can use yogurt I've made as a starter several times before opening a new packet and it lasts a very long time. I also have a cheese making bag I use to strain the yogurt to make it thicker. Before I got an instant pot, I'd make yogurt in the crock pot, but the instant pot is more reliable. When she mentions sterilizing the instant pot, I also sterilize my cheese bag at the same time. 

My mother would say and has said the exact same thing to me about Baby! I don't care. I never thought I'd have another baby and I'm not going to waste one night of cuddles to make him unhappy! I'd love for him to sleep better on his own (or at all!) but not as much as I'd hate to hear him cry. I have enough kids and old enough kids to know that what I do doesn't really matter anyway, so I'll choose cuddles over tears every time. 

Good woman! And thanks for the yogurt info! 

• Like 1

I have gone through the bios of over a dozen local neuropsychs. Only two have made the cut. I have left messages. (For evals for Dd). 

I was feeling a bit of the old mommy guilt because I haven’t fixed things for her a long time ago. But perspective, right?  Thinking things through, I think of all that we’ve worked on  over the years. I think of how her health issues over the years have given us challenges in diagnosis and also in the ability to concentrate and learn. And we haven’t really known what was medical and what was more directly learning related. I’m hoping that we can tease more of that  out this summer. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I have gone through the bios of over a dozen local neuropsychs. Only two have made the cut. I have left messages. (For evals for Dd). 

I was feeling a bit of the old mommy guilt because I haven’t fixed things for her a long time ago. But perspective, right?  Thinking things through, I think of all that we’ve worked on  over the years. I think of how her health issues over the years have given us challenges in diagnosis and also in the ability to concentrate and learn. And we haven’t really known what was medical and what was more directly learning related. I’m hoping that we can tease more of that  out this summer. 

You're teaching her how to handle hardship. That's far more important than fixing everything for her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been up since around one. DH woke up and shifted around, and that was it for me. I skipped out to write so he could get back to sleep. Got a critique done for a writer who was needing some feedback. He wanted brutal. I don't do brutal. His story is good, and just needed a few fixes that I could see. It's in a genre I don't generally read, and so I doubt I'll do much more for him because I don't feel I can be all that helpful with his genre. I don't have the love for it, and that's needed to be a good critique partner.

To save my sanity, I dropped an online critique group. I wasn't keeping up, and they kept sending me horror and sci-fi. I do fantasy. I write fantasy. I venture out of my genre rarely when it comes to critiques. Reading is a different matter, but honestly, I don't like horror, and I don't feel invested in most sci-fi worlds and characters. So that's done.

Now I'll fix some revisions, have a cup of tea, and write until DH gets up, and then try to go to sleep for another hour maybe.

• Like 3

Good Tuesday Morning!  COFFEE!!!  

We got together with friends last night which we wouldn't normally do on a Monday, but it was the only time we could get together.  Fun!  Tired!  Coffee!

14yo dd is no longer with us -------  She's 15yo dd!!! 

(I told her the story of the first "no longer with us" b-day yesterday and she thought it was hilarious, so I had to do it for her.)

• Like 7

Good morning!  Happy Birthday to Lynn's dd!!  Nothing much for me today except labs for my yearly check-up, not looking forward to that, and trying to find a book to read and continue reading.  Now, for the annoying question of the day:  when will your  school year begin?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I like both, but I think I like English breakfast better.  I don't like any fruit tea or tea that smells like potpourri.

I love peppermint!  My Ds is the tea connoisseur of the house so we mostly buy whatever he recommends.  He likes English breakfast tea in the a.m and earl grey at night for relaxing.

• Like 2

You know the July Photography challenge on the chat board?  Today's theme is "smallest to largest".

OK - my first idea was to line up the animals from smallest to largest.  But the bunnies fought, the cat hid, the puppy tried to chase the rabbits and the disabled dog just huddled miserably.  So photo shoot was shut down for everyohe's sanity!  I will find something inanimate to shoot just to soothe my battered nerves!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Krissi, you will be pleased to know that I have started on The Sound of Music Medley.  I am thinking of starting with Do-Re-Me, then Favorite Things, Edelweiss, and Climb Every Mountain for the ending.  I want to fit Goatherd in there somewhere, but am not sure if I can get it to a reasonable length - we'll see how it goes.  Transitions might be a little tricky, too.

• Like 2

DS wanted fancy coffee from the doughnut store that we were only going to because he accidentally ate his sister’s doughnut. I said he could pay for it if he wanted it but he was low on funds and wanted to negotiate. I told him to make me an offer and now he’s emptying the dishwasher for a month! That’s a booyah no matter where this falls! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, Susan in TN said:

You all have given me hope. I only have regular flour, but I have buttermilk and butter.  I have The All New Joy of Cooking and a very old Better Homes and Gardens with a red & white checked cover, held together with duct tape.  :laugh:  I just checked - 1981.  Must have gotten it used or something.  I was in 6th grade in 1981.

Mine’s The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, MCMLXXIII.  Falling apart.  

I’m behind. Trying to ketchup!

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, Susan in TN said:

I feel a little depressed and disgusted with my inability to grow things.  Yesterday my neighbor came over and sheepishly asked if we would be willing to take a bag of zucchini and yellow squash off her hands because she is overloaded.  "If you aren't already over-run with zucchini."  Lord, I haven't gotten a single zucchini yet.  I saw a blossom once.  My tomatoes aren't turning red and most of them have blossom end rot.  The squirrels are now eating the strawberries while they are still white.  I don't even bother checking them anymore.  None of my garlic produced any garlic bulbs.  No peppers yet.  Barb died - I think it's for good this time.  Cilantro is long gone, bugs ate the basil, and the parsley isn't doing well.

Woe is me.  Such a pity party.  I need more coffee.

Get your soil checked.

• Like 2

Happy everything to everybody.

I don't have an instapot or an air fryer. I make yogurt using the stove (like this, but with more like 3 1/2 cups of milk in a quart jar). I ❤️ my Crock-pots. (I have a small and a large. I used the small one today to make sweet potatoes.)

Now that we're on like the 3rd year of homemade summer reading for DS, I finally made something up for myself as well. I'm usually into non-fiction (recently Drawdown, Never Turn Your Back on an Angus Cow, and I've started the Eric Metaxas biography of Martin Luther), but I recently read My Name is Asher Lev and couldn't put it down. It's a lovely excuse to buy myself a few rewards--things I've been wanting but didn't need urgently (a t-shirt, some yarn, and my next one is going to be a nice pepper mill).

The school year legally starts as soon as July 1, and we have school on the 2nd to start our July-August summer session, but I don't promote DS to his new grade until Labor Day.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, Tsuga said:

Not ketchupped. I had an interview by phone or in person every day for the last two weeks. Am sitting here with three offers in hand--all amazing. I am feeling incredibly blessed and fortunate on a day that is special to me! 

Happy Dance!!

and happy belated Nirthday!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Good Tuesday Morning!  COFFEE!!!  

We got together with friends last night which we wouldn't normally do on a Monday, but it was the only time we could get together.  Fun!  Tired!  Coffee!

14yo dd is no longer with us -------  She's 15yo dd!!! 

(I told her the story of the first "no longer with us" b-day yesterday and she thought it was hilarious, so I had to do it for her.)

Happy Nirthday!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Good morning!  Happy Birthday to Lynn's dd!!  Nothing much for me today except labs for my yearly check-up, not looking forward to that, and trying to find a book to read and continue reading.  Now, for the annoying question of the day:  when will your  school year begin?

July 1st.  First day allowed by PA.  But I made him start typing, continue reading, and get back to Russian as of yesterday.  Math would have been there, too, but our copier won’t copy so he has a reprieve until the next credit card cycle.

Back to school BOOYAH!

• Like 5