Menu

Ignore this thread!

I've gone shopping and bought steaks - on sale, plus I had a coupon.  I hope they are good.  Anyway, they are seasoned and in the fridge and I made the birthday cake and put that in the freezer and finished the Sound of Music Medley - the notes at least.  I still have to put in dynamics and bowings and stuff.

Dd11 found 3 ripe cherry tomatoes this morning!

Our printer is on the fritz and I need to make copies for Sunday School.  I might have to go in to church early and use their copier.  Hopefully it will print in color and I can figure out how to work it.  

No where near getting my steps in yet.  Sigh.

• Like 2

The house is clean.  Well actually just the 1st floor.  ?  Well actually, it's just cleaner.  Just have to dry my hair and start the lasagna.  And make a salad.  And remember to bake the garlic bread.  I'm just so thrilled to have a reduction in clutter (at least on the first floor).  It's so nice.  And I used duct tape to cover a place the cat likes to scratch on the couch.  And I put peppermint oil on it to discourage her from returning to it.  So.much.better.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My house is not picked up but the kids have been walked and it will be picked up before bed. Our bedroom closet is about 6 ft by 8 ft and the apartment has decided we are only allowed to keep it half full. :blink: Matt will be home on Wednesday so I guess that's how we will be celebrating the 4th. :dry: The only storage we have is a tiny closet in the kids room and one in the hallway just large enough to hold the vacuum. We have no linen closet, no bathroom storage and about 1/3 of our kitchen cabinets are gone. We don't have anywhere else to put things!

• Confused 2

40 minutes ago, Slache said:

My house is not picked up but the kids have been walked and it will be picked up before bed. Our bedroom closet is about 6 ft by 8 ft and the apartment has decided we are only allowed to keep it half full:blink: Matt will be home on Wednesday so I guess that's how we will be celebrating the 4th. :dry: The only storage we have is a tiny closet in the kids room and one in the hallway just large enough to hold the vacuum. We have no linen closet, no bathroom storage and about 1/3 of our kitchen cabinets are gone. We don't have anywhere else to put things!

I don't understand the bolded.  Do you mean that you only have shelves or rods in there that utilize half of the space?  Or do you mean something else? 

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't understand the bolded.  Do you mean that you only have shelves or rods in there that utilize half of the space?  Or do you mean something else? 

We have bins of Christmas decorations camping equipment, and things from Matt's childhood, a 2 tier bookshelf for shoes and about 2 feet of hanging clothes. They want all of the bins out because it's apparently a fire hazard. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Slache said:

We have bins of Christmas decorations camping equipment, and things from Matt's childhood, a 2 tier bookshelf for shoes and about 2 feet of hanging clothes. They want all of the bins out because it's apparently a fire hazard. 

That's so weird!  Like a closet full of clothes wouldn't be a fire hazard?

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do they come in and inspect?  At times when you know they are coming?  Randomly?  Because I would put the bins in the car temporarily and then put them right back in the closet. . .

Don't suggest this to Matt!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I'd just pile them on your bed.  Do they have rules against having stuff on your bed?

Probably. We can't have a bbq, park by pulling in backward, have more than one house guest for more than 3 days, have colored curtains, an air conditioner between September 1st and June 1st...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Good morning!  Saturday!

We had my cousin and her husband for dinner last night.  It was very nice.  They are young - have been married a year - so cute.  

We are skipping swim this morning.  I think the kids need a rest.  And we're having a girls get together for 15yo dd's birthday.  Dh and sons have come up with a scavenger hunt with lots of clues, etc.  

But, coffee first!

• Like 3

I got all my steps in doing a scavenger hunt in The Big City for ds23's birthday.  It was hot but not unbearable.  By 10am there were live bands playing in all the honky tonks on Broadway and by noon the streets were getting crowded and the bicycle taverns were in full swing.  :)  We had a quiet lunch at Panera.  Nashville really is a nice place to visit with kids.  Apparently the city was a complete cesspool in the late 20th century until the mid-90's when the city's mayor decided it was time to clean it up, with the goal of making it a family friendly destination.  They did a pretty good job.  Lots of construction going on which is fun to watch.

I was pleased to find the origin of the name Demonbreun St. (if you are "from here" you pronounce it kind of like de-MUM-bree-uhn), originally De Montbrun, a Canadian trader who came to live here in the mid-1700's.

After dinner and cake we're going to watch Coco.

• Like 2

I didn’t get half my steps in today.

I harvested some tomatoes and a jalapeño and made salsa. And my hands are burning. And so are my lips.

Laundery is laundering.

I finished the difficult book on vacation. “We Were the Lucky Ones” a true story about a Jewish Family in Poland during WWII. It was really good, but hard to read.

And the I picked up a memoir written by Hitler’s valet called, “With Hitler to the End”.  It is really interesting, actually. I don’t know, i’ve Been on a WWII kick this year.... three books I’ve read have had to do with WWII. Not intentional.

• Like 3

I'm back!

I got a lot of reading done this week, but not as much as I had hoped.  Of course, I wouldn't have read even 10 percent of this list if I hadn't taken a board break.

My reading list:

Othello

A Comedy of Errors

Shakespeare's Sonnets (I only got through 50)

A large book of short stories by O.Henry (40+ stories)

A Private History of the Campaign that Failed -- Twain

Tom Sawyer: Detective -- Twain

A White Heron -- Jewett

A New England Nun -- Freeman

The Yellow Wallpaper -- Gilman

Kidnapped -- Stevenson

ETA:  Booyah!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm very tired but my feet smell like lavender. Need seep. Wots of seep. And more lavender.

Oh! Our Friday movie was called Hotel Transylvania. I'm writing a song about it now.

Welcome to the Hotel Transylvania.

Such a mummy place,

Such a bloody face.

Welcome to the Hotel Transylvania.

Such a nice surprise,

We'll gouge out your eyes!

I adore the original. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Writing camp check-in with cabin and chat group done. Inspiration set up at desk. Done. I ran us out of thumbtacks. Caffeine? Check. Do I have chocolate, anti-writer's block, adverb spray, a dictionary, thesaurus and a flashlight to illuminate my spooky brain? Yes! Let the writing begin!

Other than that, it's the usual grocery run, laundry, cooking, watering plants, and so forth. It's melting outside. I wish it would rain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

EDpo warning.  Avert your eyes.  On a Sunday.  Sacrilege.

So, (because edpos must start with so), my 15yo dd is not a math lover (to say the least).  We agreed to re-start math in July to give us extra time to finish for the coming school year.  She wants to do Saxon (algebra 1).  I have no plans to turn her into a math major; I'll be happy with a firm foundation in the basics - a general understanding, a reasonable competency in highschool math and the ability to go to college (kwim?).  When we tried to go away from Saxon (year before last), we were not successful because she wasn't getting the constant review (perhaps even over-learning) she needs to achieve automaticity, and thereby retention.  She does not seem to retain without Saxon's spiral and repetition.  On the other hand, (while I know Saxon may be lacking in some ways - i.e. I personally feel that a mathier kid needs to see higher math in organized chunks - related lessons together and make bigger connections, etc.), in other ways I think it demands too much.  It is so incremental and detailed - I think maybe it is more detailed than what she really needs as far as basic competency in algebra, geometry and algebra 2.  Lastly, she does not like it when I suggest changes to the plan.  So, I'm probably stuck with using Saxon with her.  I just wish there was something that a) showed her the big picture, 2) didn't expect incredibly detailed retention, but enabled her to have conceptual retention, 3) let her feel successful and 4) didn't kill us both.  I'm looking for a unicorn, right?  See, I wonder if MUS would be good for her, (but then I think how in the world when it doesn't review like Saxon does...... ) or the Key to series (but no one thinks it's good enough to stand alone) - I think she would understand the Key to series while she was doing it, but then she would forget it all as soon as she walked away from it.  

Trophies for all who read all that.  Two trophies if you understood it.  A free unicorn if you know what we should use and guarantee we will love it all year long.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Tired! Coffee?

57 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

So, (because edpos must start with so), my 15yo dd is not a math lover (to say the least).  We agreed to re-start math in July to give us extra time to finish for the coming school year.  She wants to do Saxon (algebra 1).  I have no plans to turn her into a math major; I'll be happy with a firm foundation in the basics - a general understanding, a reasonable competency in highschool math and the ability to go to college (kwim?).  When we tried to go away from Saxon (year before last), we were not successful because she wasn't getting the constant review (perhaps even over-learning) she needs to achieve automaticity, and thereby retention.  She does not seem to retain without Saxon's spiral and repetition.  On the other hand, (while I know Saxon may be lacking in some ways - i.e. I personally feel that a mathier kid needs to see higher math in organized chunks - related lessons together and make bigger connections, etc.), in other ways I think it demands too much.  It is so incremental and detailed - I think maybe it is more detailed than what she really needs as far as basic competency in algebra, geometry and algebra 2.  Lastly, she does not like it when I suggest changes to the plan.  So, I'm probably stuck with using Saxon with her.  I just wish there was something that a) showed her the big picture, 2) didn't expect incredibly detailed retention, but enabled her to have conceptual retention, 3) let her feel successful and 4) didn't kill us both.  I'm looking for a unicorn, right?  See, I wonder if MUS would be good for her, (but then I think how in the world when it doesn't review like Saxon does...... ) or the Key to series (but no one thinks it's good enough to stand alone) - I think she would understand the Key to series while she was doing it, but then she would forget it all as soon as she walked away from it.  

Trophies for all who read all that.  Two trophies if you understood it.  A free unicorn if you know what we should use and guarantee we will love it all year long.     

AoPS Basics I, the supplement that existed before the full curriculum, or the game put out by AoPS. The typical suggestion on the hive is the game which is free.

Eta: This is me regurgitating a bunch of information I have read repeatedly from other posts, not me having a clue what I'm talking about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Good morning! Tired! Coffee?

AoPS Basics I, the supplement that existed before the full curriculum, or the game put out by AoPS. The typical suggestion on the hive is the game which is free.

Eta: This is me regurgitating a bunch of information I have read repeatedly from other posts, not me having a clue what I'm talking about.

<insert panicked, whiney reply about how I'm scared to spend time on something that won't give her an algebra credit>  

But it's better than dh's suggestion.  He said I should take the cover off the saxon book (actually, he called it Saxton ?) and stick it on top of the book I want to use and she'll never know the difference.  ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

<insert panicked, whiney reply about how I'm scared to spend time on something that won't give her an algebra credit>  

But it's better than dh's suggestion.  He said I should take the cover off the saxon book (actually, he called it Saxton ?) and stick it on top of the book I want to use and she'll never know the difference.  ??

I was thinking that if you used the game she could just do it on her own. I like hubby's idea though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

Well, I get one trophy. Lol,? We, too, struggle with math. And I mean struggle. DS2 does well when he gets the algorithms, but i’m Not sure he truly understands the concepts. But frankly, that’s good enough for me. We’re doing CLE and it’s working and we are sticking with it.  That’s the advice I would give you.... stick with what is working, which seems to be Saxon. (Do I get the second trophy?)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1