Menu

Ignore this thread!

My FIL sends out a weekly email to the whole family to keep in touch and this week he kept talking about his primary care doctor who was a "womb" expert and he was going to be seeing her once a week for "womb care". I wonder if anyone will let him know that he has a "wound", not a "womb". :D

Back when I was working in an office our company decided to put in some Mother's Rooms with comfy chairs, outlets, and a fridge.  This was so new moms could pump at work and store the items away from the regular coffee bar fridges.  The rooms were restricted access; new mothers would contact us and get an access code and book time slots in the rooms.  Women visiting from other locations could also request access when they were in town.

I was at a health fair with a guy for a partner, providing information on a certain employee organization but also with a poster advertising the now-open Mother's Rooms.  One guy kept coming past our table and leaving, then finally stepped up to ask, "Why mother's rooms?  Shouldn't new fathers also get to relax in there?  New fathers need extra care, too!"

"Oh, if you know of a new father who needs to pump breastmilk while at work please have him get in touch with us immediately, and we will give him an access code, too!"  The gentleman turned beet red, choked out an enlightened, "Oh!" and walked away.

One minute later he came scurrying back to pick up a brochure.  "I know a gal who needs to hear about these rooms!"

I was disappointed (just a little) that he didn't know of a pregnant dad!  Our employee organization worked hard to provide services for employees and encourage dissolution of old stereotypes and expectations.   :D

• Like 7

Don't mix the play doh

I say it every dang time

Go play something else

My 4yo nephew does this with glee all the time, especially when putting it back in the canisters.  The next time he gets it out he complains that the colors are mixed up (though he only complains half-heartedly, then mashes them together even more).

• Like 2

My entire family has gone deaf. It's the only logical explanation how I can pull myself out of a NyQuil-induced coma to let the puppy out, and no one else heard her asking. Loudly and repeatedly.

On a happy note, I think she's finally house-trained.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Also, I thought colds and the like were supposed to linger *afterwards*, not prelinger. (I think I just invented a word - not sure if there's a better word already in existence).

Your excellent immune system is responding so enthusiastically that it may be helping you skip the nasty middle part of being sick. Go, Luuknam!  :hurray:

Why, oh why, did I quit drinking coffee? #stufftodoaroundhere

• Like 6

Good Morning.

The kids are excited about the snow.  There's not enough to play in  :hurray: yet  :glare: .

I've had bad headaches this week.  I'm going to blame the weather for that, too.

Teens had fun caroling last night.  :)

Dd7 was supposed to go to a Christmas party today, but we decided not to make the trek (about 40 min.?) because of the weather.  AFAIK, she doesn't know that the party is today (and may not even know about the party at all), so there are no tears  :hurray: yet  :glare: .  

I have a long to-do list today.  I'm hoping that dh will help with some of it.  :)

• Like 3

Just have to share (I posted in the Learning Challenges group): 

We've had a heck of a time with dd not retaining ABCs. Two years of preschool and only 5 letters. We've been focusing on the letters sounds more, but still no retention. 

Yesterday, we started her on a new ADHD medication. I immediately noticed her hyperactivity was way low, but didn't have a lot of hope for the attention. Anyway, we worked on the letter F yesterday. Usually, it's a lot of repetition, fighting because she doesn't want to write and frustration because she can't remember the sound or name.
Well, not only did she write the lowercase F with no crying or fighting, but she did an AWESOME job. It was so good. I was very impressed. 
THEN, 3 hours later, I asked her again what sound the letter F makes and she REMEMBERED!!! 

It seems like such a small thing, but this is the first sign of comprehension or retention in the last 3 years! I almost cried. 

• Like 13

We've had a heck of a time with dd not retaining ABCs. Two years of preschool and only 5 letters. We've been focusing on the letters sounds more, but still no retention. 

Yesterday, we started her on a new ADHD medication. I immediately noticed her hyperactivity was way low, but didn't have a lot of hope for the attention. Anyway, we worked on the letter F yesterday. Usually, it's a lot of repetition, fighting because she doesn't want to write and frustration because she can't remember the sound or name.

Well, not only did she write the lowercase F with no crying or fighting, but she did an AWESOME job. It was so good. I was very impressed. 

THEN, 3 hours later, I asked her again what sound the letter F makes and she REMEMBERED!!! 

It seems like such a small thing, but this is the first sign of comprehension or retention in the last 3 years! I almost cried. 

Go Riv!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Go Riv!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

:party:  :party:

• Like 4

Well you have to share her. Otherwise there may be duels.

t3806.gif

My FIL sends out a weekly email to the whole family to keep in touch and this week he kept talking about his primary care doctor who was a "womb" expert and he was going to be seeing her once a week for "womb care". I wonder if anyone will let him know that he has a "wound", not a "womb". :D

:svengo:

It is sunny and 22*. We haz no snow. â„ï¸

Here, too!

Happy birthday, Bookie and Second Son of Lynn (h/t Susan)!! :party:

Yay, Riv!  :party:

:seeya:

• Like 3

It is sunny and 22*. We haz no snow. â„ï¸

When we woke this morning we had thick frost, enough for some hairiness on top of DH's car and some artwork by Jack Frost on my truck's windshield.  Our snow is gone, but I was scraping frost on all windows before running errands!

• Like 2

:hurray:  :grouphug:  :hurray:  :grouphug:  :hurray:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Saturday!!ðŸ‘

DH and DS2 are going on a Boy Scout camping trip this weekend, leaving @9:00, so I was up @ 7:00am, grabbed my COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸ And ran to the Afsa. I tell you, that is the time to go. There’s nobody there.

• Like 5

I don’t know what I’m going to do with myself today. I have to get my hair cut and painted at 11:00am. I have cookies to bake and our Christmas letter to finish up and print and all that mess to do. There are piles of laundry everywhere. I need to organize my Christmas present list.

• Like 4

I was disappointed (just a little) that he didn't know of a pregnant dad!  Our employee organization worked hard to provide services for employees and encourage dissolution of old stereotypes and expectations.   :D

I think most pregnant guys don't breastfeed. For one, top surgery is fairly easy to get, which would make breastfeeding impossible, and even if you haven't had top surgery (yet), I think a fair number of guys feel that breastfeeding is emasculating (not entirely sure about the latter). 

ETA: I meant guys after they've given birth. Obviously they would typically not breastfeed *while* pregnant, unless they're having the second twin of the Irish twins or something (or they breastfeed a very long time). 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

Also my toes are now presentable. I do them once or twice in the spring and summer, and then now, right before dh’s fancy schmancy work party. I forgot to shave my legs before going, so the dear young woman with no children nearly fell over in shock.

My big toes are hairy. Now I want to go get a pedicure and see how the person doing it will react. :lol:  My legs are also not shaved. 

• Like 4

Happy Birthdays!!

"Oh, if you know of a new father who needs to pump breastmilk while at work please have him get in touch with us immediately, and we will give him an access code, too!"  The gentleman turned beet red, choked out an enlightened, "Oh!" and walked away.

My random not so deep thoughts: Why don't men lactate- and why isn't this a thing with all the single or homosexual guys adopting? I know the equipment is there and I've heard with effort men can lactate so why don't they try? I'd be cool with sharing the job with DH.

Reading the difference in responses to the intentionally difficult high schooler on the general ed board vs the highschool board is interesting.

Too lazy to read; short summary? I can't hardly stand to wade into those posts because I have such sympathy for the difficult/struggling children and the parents. I want to say to everyone to just focus on loving each other because that's the most important thing but I know that sort of advice is unwelcome. 

• Like 3

Baby was so super fussy yesterday from about 12pm on. He's not usually like this so it was exhausting. We thought he seemed tired. Once I got him to finally go to sleep he slept until almost 11am! We usually get up around 6:30/7. Since he slept that long, I slept that long and it feels awesome. I actually woke him up; he'd have slept longer. He slept clear through his normal nap time. Poor little buddy was just tired yesterday. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 5

I forgot to tell y'all that my microwave died this week.  We need to get a new one, but this week has been so busy.

Cooking has been more challenging this week.  Just what I needed.  At least we have a large freezer now for chicken nuggets, pizza, etc. that can just be thrown in the oven.

• Like 1

I forgot to tell y'all that my microwave died this week.  We need to get a new one, but this week has been so busy.

Cooking has been more challenging this week.  Just what I needed.  At least we have a large freezer now for chicken nuggets, pizza, etc. that can just be thrown in the oven.

:grouphug:   How inconvenient!  Thank goodness for large freezers and oven options.

• Like 2

It seems like the consensus on the hs board is pretty heavy on the discipline side and the consensus on the gen ed board is pretty heavy on being supportive. It’s just interesting to me to see how the different groups react. Of course I have the luxury of just observing. My kids aren’t quite old enough for that particular heartache yet.

My support has gotten less accommodating as my kids have gotten into the older teen years.  That doesn't mean that I haven't provided appropriate supports and scaffolding but the nature of growing up means that they have to take more responsibility for their own actions and attitudes as they have gotten older.  The scenario on the general ed. board is for a 9th grader.  The one of the high school board is for an 11th grader.  There is a huge difference between those two ages/ grades because the stakes are a lot higher for the 11th grader all across the board.  

And here is a Treacherous Seas Booyah!  (I realize that this opinion is a lot more opinionated than what I post on "my happy thread" so please feel free to ignore since we're all so good at that. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Happy birthday!

Tree shopping. Yay. Christmas concert later.

:blush: It's my curly metaphors, isn't it?

ETA: Booya. Just for you, Slache.

The way you describe writing.

Well you have to share her. Otherwise there may be duels.

Jealous!

Me too (dd8). She said she doesn't mind. :D

Mine is still messy.

I guarantee I'm the best shot here. :coolgleamA:

Good morning!

Dd15 has her midstate audition this morning and everyone has Children's Choir Christmas Concert this afternoon. The Middles have a church youth group Christmas party tonight. Things are winding down!

Y'all were on a roll last night with the poetry!

How are you feeling, Slache?

Coffee!

Better, thanks.

See, Critter, this is the type of stuff that will keep you a following on facebook.

:iagree: Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

The scenario on the general ed. board is for a 9th grader.  The one of the high school board is for an 11th grader.  

No, Pen did an X-post on both Gen Ed and the High School board, so they're about the same 9th grader. Maybe there's another thread as well, but she did get quite different answers on HS than on Gen Ed. 

No, Pen did an X-post on both Gen Ed and the High School board, so they're about the same 9th grader. Maybe there's another thread as well, but she did get quite different answers on HS than on Gen Ed. 

Pen's posts were a spin-off of the original thread by another poster on the high school board - about an 11th grader. 

• Like 1

It seems like the consensus on the hs board is pretty heavy on the discipline side and the consensus on the gen ed board is pretty heavy on being supportive. It’s just interesting to me to see how the different groups react. Of course I have the luxury of just observing. My kids aren’t quite old enough for that particular heartache yet.

I'd have thought it would be reversed, but Jean is right about it being different when one is 9th grade and another is 11th. My perspective may be different than some having experienced mental health problems and special needs with my kids. I've decided that the kids' outcomes are up to them- I have to let my plans for them go somewhat or at least be less important. Being alive today is more important. Having home be a safe place instead of a place of constant nagging and unhappiness is more important. Ensuring they have access to things that give them purpose and happiness is more important- I can't use those things as leverage. And letting them fail from their own choices while they are young enough to be somewhat sheltered in our home may sometimes be our best option.

I have a friend whose child died suddenly at age 8 or 9 from an undiagnosed heart defect and it breaks your heart. She said the DD was so unhappy at school and they argued about homework all the time for "her future" and they wished they hadn't stressed so much.  :crying: It's something that my mind can't even linger on. 

• Like 7

Pen's posts were a spin-off of the original thread by another poster on the high school board - about an 11th grader. 

Okay - I missed that one, probably because I generally don't read those threads (I only read these because they were mentioned on here), but she still did get quite different answers about her 9th grader. 

• Like 1

((Renai)) quiet and gentle hugs!!

I am irritated. I had an appt. at the beauty salon. Written down on a card or I would forget. Well, my hair stylist didn’t write it down and she forgot and is at home getting ready for a party they’re hosting. We rescheduled for Tuesday, and i’m Not at an emergency level yet, but...,., grrrrrrrrrrr!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I'd have thought it would be reversed, but Jean is right about it being different when one is 9th grade and another is 11th. My perspective may be different than some having experienced mental health problems and special needs with my kids. I've decided that the kids' outcomes are up to them- I have to let my plans for them go somewhat or at least be less important. Being alive today is more important. Having home be a safe place instead of a place of constant nagging and unhappiness is more important. Ensuring they have access to things that give them purpose and happiness is more important- I can't use those things as leverage. And letting them fail from their own choices while they are young enough to be somewhat sheltered in our home may sometimes be our best option.

I have a friend whose child died suddenly at age 8 or 9 from an undiagnosed heart defect and it breaks your heart. She said the DD was so unhappy at school and they argued about homework all the time for "her future" and they wished they hadn't stressed so much. :crying: It's something that my mind can't even linger on.

I'm not surprised the high school board would be a little sharper in its responses overall. (Just don't ask what's credit worthy over there. It's not, unless it involves blood, sweat, and tears, and double the time. 😂)

Thank you for sharing the story of your friend. I need to re-read it every day. I'm not a terrible slave driver, but I'm always looking ahead to the next thing, often forgetting to find joy in the moment.

• Like 5

:party: Happy Birthday, Bookie!

:party: Happy Birthday, dear child of Lynn!

Boo microwaves that don't follow ITT regulations and horrible headaches.

:party: Way to go, Riv! I'm so excited for her. Watch out when that girl learns to read and write. 

I am so tired it is beyond ridiculous. Imma shower, and try to nap. 

• Like 5