Menu

Ignore this thread!

:seeya:

I left a blade from the food processor drying on the kitchen windowsill.  For a week and a half.  (Because corner cabinets #suck, especially bottom corner cabinets.) . 

But the blade was just a tad too close to the kitchen faucet, and well...  washing dishes turned my finger into a bloody mess.   It's a ridiculously small cut to hurt as much as it does.   

#whine

#wimp

#cornercabinetssuck

#isaidsucks

:grouphug:

DS is listening to Wagner's Ring Cycle through Hoopla.  He looked at me funny when I said we were going to listen to it, and now he won't let me turn it off.  While I like that he likes it, I need to go to sleep.  It's on my phone, and I am secretly hoping the battery thoroughly drains and POOF!  Done.

• Like 5

And DH -not an introvert- thinks it's a great idea to invite people to stay for Christmas since we aren't going anywhere!  :smash:  :willy_nilly:  :blink:  :banghead:

Maybe he can invite everyone to stay with him at a resort somewhere and the introverts can stay home.

Or maybe the introverts can go to the resort.

• Like 4

I left a blade from the food processor drying on the kitchen windowsill.  For a week and a half.  (Because corner cabinets #suck, especially bottom corner cabinets.) . 

But the blade was just a tad too close to the kitchen faucet, and well...  washing dishes turned my finger into a bloody mess.   It's a ridiculously small cut to hurt as much as it does.   

#whine

#wimp

#cornercabinetssuck

#isaidsucks

Owie!

• Like 1

Good Morning ITTers!  It's Hump Day.  COFFEE!!!!

After a night with a fever, chills, and endless nursing, I think whatever it was that looked like a breast infection is gone! No more fever or hard red patches.

Is there a nice way to tell your parents that they're planning on staying too long for Thanksgiving? They were invited for the week of Thanksgiving and I was told they are planning on coming the Sat before until the Mon after. Which will mean that the kids get no down time before going back to school. Sat-Sat is what I was expecting- two extra days don't sound like much but they will make a big difference. We've had visitors almost every weekend! It's nice that people want to visit, but my kids (and I) are introverts and need space. And these are not helpful visitors- they will be the "what's for dessert," "I don't like leftovers or pizza," and "who's going to fix me lunch?" "we're on vacation and not here to work" kind of visitors. I can't think of any way to suggest they at least leave Sun instead of Mon (so the kids have one quiet evening before going back to school) without being offensive. 

So thankful for the relief!

As for relatives at Thanksgiving, I'm amazed you can have them at all.  Lack of sleep, etc, would have me putting my foot down.  Definitely keep it the shorter length and Definitely establish any boundaries you need to for your sake.

#whine

#wimp

#cornercabinetssuck

#isaidsucks

:grouphug:

And DH -not an introvert- thinks it's a great idea to invite people to stay for Christmas since we aren't going anywhere!  :smash:  :willy_nilly:  :blink:  :banghead:

I'm trying to think of what I can say without violating the husband bashing rule, lol.   :laugh:  :leaving:

Just say no.  

Maybe he can invite everyone to stay with him at a resort somewhere and the introverts can stay home.

:iagree:

I wish my husband would invite people for the holidays.  I like people; him not so much.  :lol:  I miss crazy holidays.

Sounds like you should go to Paige's house.   :D

• Like 6

Vopo!

Was woken up this morning by Celery that Broccoli's sick. Found Broccoli in the bathroom with vomit on the floor all around the toilet. At least he got closer than Celery did a week or w/e ago...

Which does mean that we've gotten Dutch cartoon, CNN 10, and Ted Ed done already thus far. The last story on CNN 10 is about some frontal collision alarm. It's terrible... made me freeze for a few seconds. Now, the smoke detector also tends to make me freeze for a while, but if the goal of an alarm is to get people to take some action, getting people to freeze is a terrible idea. Maybe I'm weird... but still, even if only, say, 10% of the people freeze for a while, that could be worse than not having the alarm to begin with, no? (Of course, if only 0.01% of people freeze, then the alarm probably would be better than no alarm... doesn't help me though. Not that we're likely to get a car with such an alarm other than maybe while renting a car on vacation or something... our current car doesn't even have power windows or power locks)

Wrt coffee, I use this, but the French Vanilla version (which I don't see on the website). I see some reviews about it being discontinued, but those are from a year or more ago, and I didn't even start drinking it until early this summer, so  :huh:. You'd think they'd want to have all their products listed online. Anyway, I do half water, half milk, and no heating.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/maxwell-house-international-haz-1414.aspx

Also, an easy no-risk-of-forgetting-the-stove solution to heating a cup of water or w/e would be to microwave it. You could put a sticky note on the microwave saying how long you'd need to microwave a cup (or w/e) of water for for visiting elderly parents or kids or whomever else might forget/be unaware. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for all of you.  Get better soon, Broccoli!

i have considered the microwave idea, but ours is rather powerful and people don't put the sticks (shortened bamboo skewers) into the cups reliably.  As a result we have had some pretty close calls with the water suddenly erupting when the cup gets moved.  I have 4 weeks yet in which to figure this out, so I'll get something worked out.  I might also talk to Dad about how he makes his tea at his apartment now.  In the meantime the kids can learn how to use the kettle on the stove.

• Like 2

Last night our nocturnal visitors were back.... the raccoons. DH brought the cat food in early, so I'm not sure what they were after, but they sure hung around a long time, slinking in and out of the shadows.

They are casing the joint, looking for weaknesses in the security.  Better step up the guards' patrols for a week or two.

• Like 2

Dd11 is heartbroken because she seems to have lost "Soccer", her beloved sock puppet of 2 days. She's made a math tent for herself with a throw blanket and will only respond in low grunting sobs. Sigh. I think these low pressure systems really mess with her.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Soccer may have gone exploring and gotten lost or stuck.  Persistent search and rescue patrols by DD11 are called for.  Stuck sock puppets often have trouble calling out loud enough to be heard, and static often binds them so they can't move.  A careful examination of all blankets, towels, covers of any type, down the crevices of upholstered furniture, between beds/other furniture and the wall, underneath furniture, in laundry hampers and piles, dogs' kennels or favorite hiding places -- there is a lot of area to search.  Don't lose heart, DD.  Keep looking.

• Like 4

I got 800 words this morning. It took me all day to get my 2K yesterday. Hopefully today won't be so tough.

:hurray:  :hurray:  for you!

Yesterday we had a lot of fun at Ren Fest School Days, but we wore ourselves out.  I went to bed and sleep at 8 PM and didn't get in any writing yesterday at all.  I am officially behind once again.

• Like 3

Good Morning!

I've been busy homeschooling, unpacking, and cleaning bathrooms.  

And I've got about 2 minutes until my 3 high schoolers arrive for their Sign Language class.

ETA:  It's a getting things done Booyah!!

You do sign language classes?  DD13 is studying that online this year!

• Like 1

Ladies, I could use some help/advice/insight.

Yia Yia is fading fast. DH should be there in a few hours.  My question is wrt DD. IF (and it's an IF) it looks like we will have a couple more days in which meaningful interaction is possible, 1) should I fly DD there tomorrow and 2) do you have suggestions for her as to what to say/how to act?  I know that you can't give me specifics because you don't know her, but and general advice or things to consider would be very appreciated.  She wants to go.

Take her.  By all means, take her.  

Talk to her about Yia Yia's condition and what visiting her might be like.  Tell her it's okay to not have much words when she gets there; she can simply hold Yia Yia's hand and tell her she loves her, if that is what she wants to do.  Give her a chance to visit one-on-one with Yia Yia, and let them determine how the visit goes.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Thanks, Jean. This is very helpful. If Jo goes, she'll have to go by herself, so I'll need to prepare her beforehand. And, honestly, DH is not very good at reading her emotionally.  She is INCREDIBLY sensitive, but she hides it.  I am more than a bit terrified right now.

As for the next part, I've seen dying and I know my child.  She needs to NOT be there for the active dying process. Period.

Yia Yia got a blood transfusion last night.  I'm hoping that she rallies for a few days.

Regarding the dying part:  My Mom hung on stubbornly for days on end until there was finally a short time when both my sister and I were away from her bedside.  She wasn't alone, to her consternation (my uncles had arrived), but the two she worried most about distressing were away from the place (I needed a shower, and my sister was getting some sleep).

Are there nurses there?  If you are worried about your DH not getting your DD out of the room in time you can phone or write a note to the nurses, for DD to give them immediately when she gets there.  Nurses will help kids coming to visit dying loved ones, and can get your DD out of the room quickly if needed.

So, dh has been working 12 hours a day....pretty much all year.  Some days it has looked more like 18 hour days.  He asked me to hire a lawn service to lay mulch, tidy the bushes, etc.  It looks great.  It really does.  But I am  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  at the cost (which dh approved).  Tell me to support my dh, please.  I need encouragement in welcoming his desire to make our house look nice.

It's admittedly more work than we could've done in a month of Saturdays, it's taking a 4 person crew (in fit shape with good equipment) an afternoon.

It's okay to be worried about the cost.  I imagine it is relieving a big source of stress that your DH is feeling, so let him have and enjoy this.   :grouphug:   There there.

• Like 1

Good morning!

I may need to go to Aldi today - we are out of bread and milk and cheese and butter. :svengo: And they have pomagranates on sale for 69 cents each! :hurray: I don't want to go anywhere because I am a homebody. We have youth group/church choir tonight, but that's it otherwise.

I had a little trouble sleeping last night - I don't normally have issues on my 2nd night of fasting but last night was rough. I was dreaming that I couldn't find the instructions on making Nido powdered milk and it started raining in the store. Then I was in a cathedral listening to a concert and a 3-foot flying cricket and a large owl started a battle and I was trying to shield myself with hymnals. I might take a nap instead of going to the store. :D

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Soccer may have gone exploring and gotten lost or stuck. Persistent search and rescue patrols by DD11 are called for. Stuck sock puppets often have trouble calling out loud enough to be heard, and static often binds them so they can't move. A careful examination of all blankets, towels, covers of any type, down the crevices of upholstered furniture, between beds/other furniture and the wall, underneath furniture, in laundry hampers and piles, dogs' kennels or favorite hiding places -- there is a lot of area to search. Don't lose heart, DD. Keep looking.

:)

Coffee!

• Like 5

Now Mary's crying because she realized she forgot to read at quiet time.

:grouphug:   Poor Mary, it's okay.  Sometimes our brains need a little more quiet during quiet time.  You can read more later.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

After a night with a fever, chills, and endless nursing, I think whatever it was that looked like a breast infection is gone! No more fever or hard red patches.

Is there a nice way to tell your parents that they're planning on staying too long for Thanksgiving? They were invited for the week of Thanksgiving and I was told they are planning on coming the Sat before until the Mon after. Which will mean that the kids get no down time before going back to school. Sat-Sat is what I was expecting- two extra days don't sound like much but they will make a big difference. We've had visitors almost every weekend! It's nice that people want to visit, but my kids (and I) are introverts and need space. And these are not helpful visitors- they will be the "what's for dessert," "I don't like leftovers or pizza," and "who's going to fix me lunch?" "we're on vacation and not here to work" kind of visitors. I can't think of any way to suggest they at least leave Sun instead of Mon (so the kids have one quiet evening before going back to school) without being offensive. 

Mom, Dad, I'm sorry, but with physical problems post-pregnancy I am drained and exhausted and cannot handle a visit as long as you are planning.  I look forward to seeing you, but I'm afraid I need some down time before I have to see to my kids' education on Monday.  I can't have you here past Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Or, if he's the type, your DH can say this to them for you.  He will, of course, be looking after the welfare of his wife and children.

• Like 4

Either sounds good to me!

I wish my husband would invite people for the holidays.  I like people; him not so much.  :lol:  I miss crazy holidays.

You can come for Thanksgiving. It will be crazy enough for you. I bet you'll even hold the baby if I want to nap and won't say anything about the dust bunnies under the couch or DSs unbrushed hair. 

In DH's defense I had originally invited his mom for Christmas. It was my preferred time as I wanted to space things out, and we'd have more free time with no school or work. She declined my invitation which is why she's here now. For a week. DH interpreted that as, "Paige wants to invite people for Christmas!" and was trying to convince more of his family to come so his mom would change her mind and accept my earlier invitation! I told him, no- it was Christmas or now, not both!! 

There's no way to nicely kick my parents out early. I think they are staying so long because my mom was upset that I wouldn't let her come up by herself for a week with the baby before Thanksgiving. (See, I can be firm. And, my goodness- when mom, when?? ) My only hope is that my dad, who is like me, will decide it's too long himself. I've learned my lesson for the future- invitations should come with firm boundaries on either side; no more of this wishy washy business of "for a week, a couple days," etc.

• Like 4

#whine

#wimp

#cornercabinetssuck

#isaidsucks

:grouphug:  :grouphug:   There there.

• Like 2

I may need to go to Aldi today - we are out of bread and milk and cheese and butter. :svengo: And they have pomagranates on sale for 69 cents each! :hurray: I don't want to go anywhere because I am a homebody. We have youth group/church choir tonight, but that's it otherwise.

I feel cheated. Pomegranates at our Aldi were $1.69 yesterday. Fair warning if you're weak-willed like me: They have all their yummy German holiday treats in stock.

Good morning! We dropped from 90F to 55F. I am pulling out a sweater to celebrate!

I'd be pulling a sweater on to cry. It went from 75 to 45 here and I want to cry. #summerforever

Mom, Dad, I'm sorry, but with physical problems post-pregnancy I am drained and exhausted and cannot handle a visit as long as you are planning.  I look forward to seeing you, but I'm afraid I need some down time before I have to see to my kids' education on Monday.  I can't have you here past Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Or, if he's the type, your DH can say this to them for you.  He will, of course, be looking after the welfare of his wife and children.

Can people really say stuff like this without causing more drama than it's worth? I mean, it sounds so reasonable and like reasonable people would understand and cooperate, but I know that's not how it would work. I'd rather suck up the two days than have a year's worth of hurt feelings. It's better than it was in the past with MIL. My MIL would come and never leave- she'd never tell us until the night before when she was planning on going home. If asked, she'd say, "I don't know; we'll see." Not knowing is much worse. Now, we buy MIL plane tickets so how long she stays is up to us. 

• Like 2

Either sounds good to me!

You can come for Thanksgiving. It will be crazy enough for you. I bet you'll even hold the baby if I want to nap and won't say anything about the dust bunnies under the couch or DSs unbrushed hair. 

In DH's defense I had originally invited his mom for Christmas. It was my preferred time as I wanted to space things out, and we'd have more free time with no school or work. She declined my invitation which is why she's here now. For a week. DH interpreted that as, "Paige wants to invite people for Christmas!" and was trying to convince more of his family to come so his mom would change her mind and accept my earlier invitation! I told him, no- it was Christmas or now, not both!! 

There's no way to nicely kick my parents out early. I think they are staying so long because my mom was upset that I wouldn't let her come up by herself for a week with the baby before Thanksgiving. (See, I can be firm. And, my goodness- when mom, when?? ) My only hope is that my dad, who is like me, will decide it's too long himself. I've learned my lesson for the future- invitations should come with firm boundaries on either side; no more of this wishy washy business of "for a week, a couple days," etc.

Any chance you could have a quiet word with your Dad at some point, mentioning how you are exhausted and needing downtime but not wanting to hurt your mother's feelings by being blunt?  A quiet wink between the two of you and your Dad claiming to be visited out and needing to go home would certainly be a graceful way out.

• Like 3

I feel cheated. Pomegranates at our Aldi were $1.69 yesterday. Fair warning if you're weak-willed like me: They have all their yummy German holiday treats in stock.

I'd be pulling a sweater on to cry. It went from 75 to 45 here and I want to cry. #summerforever

Can people really say stuff like this without causing more drama than it's worth? I mean, it sounds so reasonable and like reasonable people would understand and cooperate, but I know that's not how it would work. I'd rather suck up the two days than have a year's worth of hurt feelings. It's better than it was in the past with MIL. My MIL would come and never leave- she'd never tell us until the night before when she was planning on going home. If asked, she'd say, "I don't know; we'll see." Not knowing is much worse. Now, we buy MIL plane tickets so how long she stays is up to us. 

It does depend upon the person, doesn't it?  Advice on what I would think to do to handle it long-term wouldn't be practical or correct for the near-term due to the particular circumstances, and I don't know the people involved, either, so I can't predict the fallout.  All I can offer are well-meant suggestions and HUGS.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

And I'll listen here as much as I can, just like the others.  Because we love you.

• Like 1

You do sign language classes?  DD13 is studying that online this year!

We are learning ASL online at lifeprint.com.  So in theory we can do the class at any time, but since we have to coordinate four of us to be in the same place at the same time, we have to set a time.

• Like 1

It does depend upon the person, doesn't it?  Advice on what I would think to do to handle it long-term wouldn't be practical or correct for the near-term due to the particular circumstances, and I don't know the people involved, either, so I can't predict the fallout.  All I can offer are well-meant suggestions and HUGS.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

And I'll listen here as much as I can, just like the others.  Because we love you.

I was genuinely wondering if your suggestion works for most people. We all think our families are normal and then something comes up and we realize, hey, maybe our family really is unusually sensitive/weird! Your response would definitely be great for DH's dad, but it would be unnecessary because he would never stay so long without specifically asking if it were ok. 

• Like 1

The girls went to bed at their usual time, but both are rather dragging today.  I have called off class time for today.  We will go to art class this morning (only the one today) and music class this evening.  On the way home from art class we will stop by a shoe store to look for new dress shoes for DD13 -- she wore her boots yesterday (the ones she planned on wearing to the wedding), and finally admitted they hurt her feet sooner than she let on.  I want her to have more comfortable shoes for the wedding, since she will be on her feet a lot.

Aside from these things and perhaps a quick stop at a nearby craft store for me (I want chipboard) all the studying that is happening is DD16 working on her math.  I have declared recuperation necessary, and might alter our school plans for tomorrow, too, to get everyone rested and ready for wedding, a birthday party, and whatever else this weekend.

It also seems to go well in line with the cooler weather that has come in.  Hmm, maybe I can also squeeze in some writing time before we leave for art class....

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Wednesday ðŸ‘

My sinus infection justnwon't go away. I thought I had turned the corner on it, but I just feel like carp this morning. (Autocorrect put Carl instead of carp. I found myself wondering what Carl feels like this morning,) I don't want to go back to the doctor for more antibiotics, I've been rinsing my nose and trying to rest as much as possible.

• Like 1

I was genuinely wondering if your suggestion works for most people. We all think our families are normal and then something comes up and we realize, hey, maybe our family really is unusually sensitive/weird! Your response would definitely be great for DH's dad, but it would be unnecessary because he would never stay so long without specifically asking if it were ok.

Truth there!!