Menu

Ignore this thread!

I also think that it was a great idea for me to bump Logic to a summertime class. I'm going to look at maybe making it a winter course, too. Kind of give us some flexibility in electives and some novelty from season to season. 

I tried to get to it as a full-time thing last year, and that just didn't work. I might look at alternating Logic and Literature in the plans and see if I like that arrangement.

I think my homeschool motto might be Semper Gumby. :laugh:

• Like 4

I also think that it was a great idea for me to bump Logic to a summertime class. I'm going to look at maybe making it a winter course, too. Kind of give us some flexibility in electives and some novelty from season to season. 

I tried to get to it as a full-time thing last year, and that just didn't work. I might look at alternating Logic and Literature in the plans and see if I like that arrangement.

Are you using CAP's AoA? I feel like I remember seeing another one. It may be the coffee talking.

• Like 2

Anyone who says we shouldn't teach logic is suspect in my book. If we don't teach logic, what will we replace it with- blind acceptance of whatever we tell them? I want my kids to know how to think more than I want anything else in their education. That will allow them to make wise choices wherever they go. Sometimes adults are wrong. Kids should know that. History is full of adults being really, really wrong. Thank goodness children in the past have been able to grow and think for themselves and fix some of the mistakes of the past 

• Like 5

Anyone who says we shouldn't teach logic is suspect in my book. If we don't teach logic, what will we replace it with- blind acceptance of whatever we tell them? I want my kids to know how to think more than I want anything else in their education. That will allow them to make wise choices wherever they go. Sometimes adults are wrong. Kids should know that. History is full of adults being really, really wrong. Thank goodness children in the past have been able to grow and think for themselves and fix some of the mistakes of the past 

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Are you using CAP's AoA? I feel like I remember seeing another one. It may be the coffee talking.

Yes. That's what I've got. I toyed with MP Logic, but I really feel I'd like to try that one myself first. Art of Argument I can read right along with the boys and we can kind of discuss as we go along.

• Like 2

Yes. That's what I've got. I toyed with MP Logic, but I really feel I'd like to try that one myself first. Art of Argument I can read right along with the boys and we can kind of discuss as we go along.

How religious is it? 

• Like 1

She did say CM advocated they be taught how to spot logical fallacies. So she was ok with that but not logic. Which I thought was kind of a distrustful, utilitarian way of looking at logic.

I find reading a well-laid out, logical argument very pleasurable. It's so rare.

What's the difference? Logical fallacies are the first step to learning logic, but why would we avoid going deeper? Does she simply think it is a waste of time that could be spent on other things?

I bought a Theo's Root Beer Barrel chocolate bar. It is... interesting. Not bad tasting but not good enough to buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, chocolate and root beer are two flavors I wouldn't put together. But now you made me want a rootbeer float. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Preach it, Sister!!
  • Like 1

Could be a message. (Have you watched Stranger Things on Netflix?)

It is. It's me telling you to come out to California and I will show you the Golden Gate Bridge. Maybe we can even rent bikes and bike across the Bridge and in to Sausalito and then take the ferry back into the City. I did that once. It was a lot of fun!
  • Like 3

Y'all...I'm about to be admitted to the looney bin. 

We've had roofers here for 2 days, the air compressor for whatever they're doing up there is so darn loud, and now someone is in my daughter's room with an electric saw or whatnot to fix her ceiling. (HUGE hole from a leak.) 
I'm a "Highly Sensitive Person", so and noise affects me a lot. I'm going insane.

SO MUCH NOISE  

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 4

We've had roofers here for 2 days, the air compressor for whatever they're doing up there is so darn loud, and now someone is in my daughter's room with an electric saw or whatnot to fix her ceiling. (HUGE hole from a leak.) 

I'm a "Highly Sensitive Person", so and noise affects me a lot. I'm going insane.

SO MUCH NOISE  

Ear plugs saved my sanity when I had people here fixing the floor in the kitchen a few years back. Not comfortable, but I was about ready to explode without them.

• Like 1

I'm getting a lot done.  My pain is still there but it's giving a bit of respite from the eye-gouging level of the last couple of days (even though the pain wasn't in my eyes!).  I'm still waiting to hear about the CT but for now I'm madly getting as much housework as I can done so that I will be free when they do call.  I've figured out that I need to up the stakes  a bit to like housework because then it isn't so mind numbingly boring. 

• Like 3

I'm getting a lot done.  My pain is still there but it's giving a bit of respite from the eye-gouging level of the last couple of days (even though the pain wasn't in my eyes!).  I'm still waiting to hear about the CT but for now I'm madly getting as much housework as I can done so that I will be free when they do call.  I've figured out that I need to up the stakes  a bit to like housework because then it isn't so mind numbingly boring. 

Don't make yourself hurt worse by overdoing it. 

• Like 5

It's 1:30 and I haven't done a damn thing all day. I'm somehow incapable of making myself get up and do something.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

Me neither. Almost. Was unexpectedly babysitting a couple neighbor kids and made everyone eat macaroni and cheese (with broccoli) outside. Now I'm "babysitting" the SD-OFN kids but they'll have to go home in an hour so I can get to the theatre. I also wasted a little time looking for a satisfactory string arrangement of Pomp and Circumstance with the peppy part but have had no luck, so I might have to do it myself.

But I haven't managed anything useful like putting away laundry.

• Like 2

I need some COFFEE!!☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

I also need something for my children to do. They are driving me insane. And they do get a couple hours of TV time a day. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a good and responsible mother. I could feed them chips and soda and all sorts of other carp and let them watch tv all day and maybe they'd leave me alone.

• Like 3

Which verb?? Personally, I prefer declining nouns. There are just too many aspects to verbs. I've never liked verbs. Not even in English. 

Cupio. Six tenses, active and passive. 

I'm kind of champing at the bit to get to subjunctive. But I've got to slog through pronouns first.

I also need something for my children to do. They are driving me insane. And they do get a couple hours of TV time a day. Sometimes I wish I wasn't such a good and responsible mother. I could feed them chips and soda and all sorts of other carp and let them watch tv all day and maybe they'd leave me alone. 

I sent mine out to romp with the pups. 

• Like 1

Cupio. Six tenses, active and passive.

I'm kind of champing at the bit to get to subjunctive. But I've got to slog through pronouns first.

. See, just as I was saying.... too many aspects!😜😜. I can't even remember what subjunctive is. I bought both myself and DS Third Form this year and he started the first couple chapters and then just drowned. I'd been making my way through Henle and enjoying it, but I think I'm going to pick up Third Form again, too. Then I can learn what subjunctive is.
  • Like 2

AoA was great.  DoD was :ack2: .

• Like 1

. See, just as I was saying.... too many aspects!😜😜. I can't even remember what subjunctive is. I bought both myself and DS Third Form this year and he started the first couple chapters and then just drowned. I'd been making my way through Henle and enjoying it, but I think I'm going to pick up Third Form again, too. Then I can learn what subjunctive is. 

Third Form is TOUGH. Subjunctive is the may/might/wanna/sorta/coulda mood, at least as I understand it. 

• Like 1

I don't like that the hand model has her nails painted white.  It's distracting.  I don't want to be thinking about someone's fingernails when I should only be thinking about coffee. 

Sorry - my prescription is keeping me sane right now. I might need some more doses though. 

Prescription: 
Dfn3LiSi-1280-1280.jpg

• Like 1

I don't like that the hand model has her nails painted white.  It's distracting.  I don't want to be thinking about someone's fingernails when I should only be thinking about coffee. 

The picture bothered me too...Where is the hand coming from? Is it attached to an arm or is it just a hand? Is the person holding the drink drowning in a sea of mint? (Which brings me to ask - why highlight the mint? I can't even taste it in the drink!) 

But, it was one of the few that looked decent and didn't have weird people in it. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I bought a Theo's Root Beer Barrel chocolate bar. It is... interesting. Not bad tasting but not good enough to buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like chocolate.  I like Root Beer Barrels.  The thought had never crossed my mind to try to combine the two.  It just sounds wrong.

Could be a message. (Have you watched Stranger Things on Netflix?)

I have, though if they make any more I won't see them.  We have now shut off our Netflix.

Yeah..it's like she's hiding in a bush trying to lure you with coffee.

Not to be morbid and creepy...

It's like the red balloon from IT. A yummy coffee just randomly showing up in a mint patch... lol 

Mary, will Starbucks file the insurance forms or do you have to do that yourself? I'm going to see if we're covered for that one.

The location I visited is on a strictly prepay-in-full system. Keeps the cost down. Apparently, when you get insurance involved, everything becomes ridiculously expensive. I've heard other places like this that take insurance, the Venti drinks are like $90! Mine was only $5.50ish. If you're willing to live without coffee insurance and plan to cash-flow your prescriptions, it's totally the way to go. ;) 

• Like 5

That's a good motto.  My kids, too, didn't enjoy logic as much when it was full year.  Their brains like some breaks to process, and to focus on other stuff while practicing application of logic.

• Like 2