Menu

Ignore this thread!

I hope his last name isn't Andretti.  I want safe responsible driving. 

No, I forget his last name.  He has a brother, Luigi, who also is willing to drive the kids around.

• Like 1

I understand. I thought what you just described sounded more like what Slache was talking about than what I remember festina lente being about. I get how there could be tension between mnm and spreading a feast, but I didn't really get why there would be tension bw FL and feast. But then, I don't remember Perrin talking about CM ;) it's been a while.

The purpose of making hast slowly is so that you can go deeply with much, not many. How's that?

• Like 1

I tried another recipe from the Fresh20 cookbook -- citrus chicken, from near the back of the book.  It's good -- everyone quite likes it -- but I find the name of the recipe a bit odd.  I would have called it Quinoa Chicken.  The only citrus in it is the lemon wedge you serve with it.

I also pulled out a bagged salad with a bunch of different greens and veggies.  Between that and the artichokes I cooked for part of lunch the girls and I ate another 7 veggies today.  To date the earlier days of June our new-to-the-month veggie count was 7.  Now we are at 14, nearly halfway to the goal of eating 30 different veggies in the month of June!  Go, us!

Tomorrow I'm gonna pull out some beets.   :drool5:

(In actuality I have eaten MORE different veggies this month, but I'm trying to get the girls (and maybe DH) to reach 30 veggies in June and I'm eating all of the veggies they are.  I figure keeping track of their progress is close enough for my own consumption.)

• Like 3

You're the kind of interesting person who writes novels and considers taking up swordsmithing. 

I think you count as at least a side dish. A really cool one, like samosas, not green beans from a can. 

Fried okra, maybe.

And swordsmithing sounds like too much work, too. But I'd like to watch. And commission somebody to make me one like my protagonist carries so I can hang it up over my desk. :laugh:

• Like 2

At some point I've got to sit down and think about the fall schedule. I think I'll put on some Vivaldi and do that next week sometime. 

ETA: It's a musical motivation Booyah! (Although perhaps, given my current mood, I should go epic and hope for the best?)

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

It sounds like a secondary benefit, not the main purpose and I'm not absolutely convinced you couldn't festina lente with a feast.

But maybe I should go watvh instead of talking out of my arse. Look for my witty rebuttal in a few months when I actually get through the whole thing.

I have no idea what I'm talking about if that helps.
  • Like 2

I had yogurt for lunch today, and oddly, I think I felt better this afternoon because of it. I'm going to try that again tomorrow to see if it helps with the afternoon growls. It's also possible that getting out and walking around helped, despite feeling that the sun was sitting on top of my head.

• Like 1

We just got home from a swim meet.  It was freezing.  Well, freezing by KY standards.  Normally after a swim meet we're so stinkin' sweaty we need a shower before bed.  Tonight we're too cold to think about changing clothes.   :laugh:   I came home, took off my sandals and shorts and put on wool socks, pajama pants and a sweatshirt.  Brrrrrrrr.  (And I wasn't even the one in the water!   :laugh: )

• Like 5

He really sounds like that one guy years ago at work who remarked on me putting on weight when I was 7 months pregnant. I wonder if he retired and moved?

Maybe! I do know he's recently divorced, but that's all I know. His kids are a little...different, let's say, but I forgive them that since they are young, their dad is weird, and their parents just divorced, ya know? They seem like they'll turn out okay. Dad is a very loud, strange fellow. Today simply added to my previously formed impression of him.
  • Like 1

Like, your ideas are all over the road. Pick a lane (idea) and stay in it instead of swerving all over the place. (maybe.)

Oh. Maybe I would have gotten it if I had understood who Perrin was. But I've been tuning out that part of the conversation. I mean, I'm reading the posts, but my brain is not engaging.

I'm one of those homeschoolers who couldn't really tell you what kind of learner my son is - at least not in that fancy educational speak. And reading books on educational philosophies? Why don't you just force me to sit and have a poetry tea while you're at it? Sheesh! Do I look like I like kool aid?

(No offense. :LOL:)

Slache knows more about homeschooling than I do, and John's only in 1st grade!

• Like 3

Maybe! I do know he's recently divorced, but that's all I know. His kids are a little...different, let's say, but I forgive them that since they are young, their dad is weird, and their parents just divorced, ya know? They seem like they'll turn out okay. Dad is a very loud, strange fellow. Today simply added to my previously formed impression of him.

Okay, that sounds too young to be that guy from my work.  Maybe your guy is the son of my guy....

Did I mention today that I also tried cooking radishes for the first time?  Basic red radishes, roasted in the oven (cut in half, coat lightly with oil, pop into a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes).  They were quite good!  The roasting takes away the bite and mellows the flavor.  I made the girls try radishes both raw and cooked.  They both agreed they would eat them cooked again.

I forgot to count the radishes in the total veg count.  15 so far!  Halfway to the goal!

• Like 1

Oh. Maybe I would have gotten it if I had understood who Perrin was. But I've been tuning out that part of the conversation. I mean, I'm reading the posts, but my brain is not engaging.

I'm one of those homeschoolers who couldn't really tell you what kind of learner my son is - at least not in that fancy educational speak. And reading books on educational philosophies? Why don't you just force me to sit and have a poetry tea while you're at it? Sheesh! Do I look like I like kool aid?

(No offense. :lol:)

I like that stuff. It's fun. And I've learned to enjoy things even if some of it goes over my head. My education was abysmal; I've not been shy about that, but in my quest for a better, more entertaining, more opportunistic environment for my children I have had fun. The world is so much bigger, yet so much more unified than I ever could have imagined.

• Like 4

Yes, he's American. My friend just said that she didn't expect him to know that. I'm like, really? It's like Italy is the boot and Cape Cod is an arm? Apparently I overestimate people's intelligence. ;)

Not everyone from your state (ahem ;) ) is that clueless.

• Like 1

We had a theatre miracle tonight. We spent an hour going over sets and cues for the cut-down version of the musical and 15 minutes before showtime the director announced that we would do the full show. It went fairly well. The only hitch was when I went on stage (during a scene) to remove a prop and the prop wasn't there. I just kept walking and found out afterwards that they cut the prop out of that scene.

• Like 7

We had a theatre miracle tonight. We spent an hour going over sets and cues for the cut-down version of the musical and 15 minutes before showtime the director announced that we would do the full show. It went fairly well. The only hitch was when I went on stage (during a scene) to remove a prop and the prop wasn't there. I just kept walking and found out afterwards that they cut the prop out of that scene.

I'm so glad that it went so well!

• Like 1

Yay for theater miracles!!

My parents were married in 1964.

I have a hard time understanding how a person could never have even heard of Cape Cod. I've never been to MA, and I don't know what it looks like the, but sheesh. It's the place. Named after a superhero fish.

My parents were married in 1950.

My parents were married in 1960.

Why are we talking about this??

• Like 1

(No offense. :lol:)

I used to be really interested in educational philosophy, but my implementation stunk so bad that I figure I only need a small dash of it now.  I don't really need the difference between whatever that one word was and multa non multum.  I just need to make sure we have a balance of skills and content, make sure we're moving forward in skills without too much busy work, hope we're engaging with something somewhere and try to tweak it if we're not, keep enough activities going that they're not on screens half the day.  (Is there a 3 word Latin phrase for that?)

• Like 8

I used to be really interested in educational philosophy, but my implementation stunk so bad that I figure I only need a small dash of it now.  I don't really need the difference between whatever that one word was and multa non multum.  I just need to make sure we have a balance of skills and content, make sure we're moving forward in skills without too much busy work, hope we're engaging with something somewhere and try to tweak it if we're not, keep enough activities going that they're not on screens half the day.  (Is there a 3 word Latin phrase for that?)

Actually, that's not totally true.  I'm a bit more interested in educational philosophy than that.  I did really enjoy Karen Glass's book Consider This.  And I have to restrain myself when people I know think that CC (Classical Conversations) IS classical education because I don't think it is.  And I should probably re-read Teaching from Rest every summer.   :laugh:

#jadedveteran  

• Like 4

My parents were married in 1964.

I have a hard time understanding how a person could never have even heard of Cape Cod. I've never been to MA, and I don't know what it looks like the, but sheesh. It's the place. Named after a superhero fish.

This my hang up, too. I get forgetting where it is, or not having been there. But the way he asked first, "What's Cape Cod?" And then, "never heard of it." I was just astounded. And then my friend telling me she wasn't surprised he didn't know, and that I expect too much from people.

But I didn't know Perrin, so... :) I guess I forgive him. :LOL:

• Like 3

I started out reading educational books. I found TWTM forums easier and more fun. Like, you learn the best parts and skip the rest. I was able to figure out early on that CM was not for us, for example. I learned to let DS play Legos while I read. That sort of thing. I'd rather spend my time reading good literature.

BUT I only have 1 kid and he's somewhat normal.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 9

Hooray!

My parents were married in 1960.

Why are we talking about this??

An interesting note:  the "generational" differences (the differences due to the times and not due to levels of maturity) don't seem to follow the generations arbitrarily defined by the Census (baby boomers, generation X, etc.) so much as they seem to follow when the parents of the generations or individuals being compared were growing up.  Many people of my sister's so-called generation had parents younger than my sister, so they tend to be surprised by some of the things she, their contemporary, does.

As for me, I'm on the cusp between two Census-designated generations.  I refuse to be categorized so easily.   :laugh:

• Like 2

How about proelio facto?