Menu

Ignore this thread!

Mom-Sleep -- The type of sleep in which you sleep so lightly that every.single.noise wakes you up because you think that someone might need you for something.   :lol:

So many years spent doing that.  I even did that as a teen, because stuff would come up and my little sister was my responsibility (and we shared a room much of the time).  Working graveyard shift at an all-night restaurant killed my natural sleep patterns and messed up my chances of developing sounder sleep, so when motherhood came along that habit was very quickly re-established.

And DH wonders why noises and lights disturb my sleep so much.

Booyawwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn..............................

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 4

Other than the usual Aikido this evening we don't have anything scheduled outside of the house today (the only weekday this week we don't).  I, therefore, am planning on getting my hair trimmed -- it's long overdue.

Personal care for Mom day!

• Like 1

Good morning!

It's our 26th anniversary today! Dh made quiche for breakfast.

Dd18 told me about her wardrobe malfunctions during last night's show which I didn't know about because I was backstage. First, her skirt fell down during one scene (she was wearing running shorts underneath), and later her golden ballgown came unzipped in the back and Beast had to help hold it up during their waltz. :ack2: The show must go on! :D

Coffee!

• Like 11

Good morning!

Dd18 told me about her wardrobe malfunctions during last night's show which I didn't know about because I was backstage. First, her skirt fell down during one scene (she was wearing running shorts underneath), and later her golden ballgown came unzipped in the back and Beast had to help hold it up during their waltz. :ack2: The show must go on! :D

Coffee!

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 1

I'm just the kind of big nerd that read everything I could get my hands on when my oldest was still in diapers. 🤓 But I feel like I'm in a season of life now where I've absorbed what I can and now they do more harm than good and I need to just figure out what's working for us and develop the discipline to actually do it. Also, having been around for a bit I'm a little less naive about what the lives of the homeschooling guru moms usually actually are like...it usually involves more paid help and falling back on workbooks than their most famous stuff would suggest or they burn out and end up sending their kids to school. Not to say there's no phenomenal ones, but...they are phenomenal, and I don't feel any more guilty abot not being them than I feel guilty about the fact thst I'll never run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Yes!

• Like 2

Good morning!

Coffee!

Happy anniversary!

Congrats to DD18 for carrying on despite uncooperative attire!

• Like 2

We're at the park, and some little boy just asked DS how he got up to the roof of the barn. DS told the little boy that he's a wizard. Then the boy asked but how he was going to get down? DS said more magic. Little boy: woooooooowwwwww. :LOL:

So cute.

My kids think your kid is so awesome!

This my hang up, too. I get forgetting where it is, or not having been there. But the way he asked first, "What's Cape Cod?" And then, "never heard of it." I was just astounded. And then my friend telling me she wasn't surprised he didn't know, and that I expect too much from people.

But I didn't know Perrin, so... :) I guess I forgive him. :LOL:

All my kids at the breakfast table have heard of Cape Cod. Don't know where it is ("Is that a place by the ocean?") but they have all heard of it. No one has any idea what Perrin is. :D

• Like 6

I am really enjoying reading this book:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579656315/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's quite tempting, and giving me ideas.  I won't be able to find everything he finds, but that's okay, I can simply use the stuff I can get around here.

He does seem a bit fixated on breads in this vegetable book, but some of those ideas might be useful and adaptable later.  Right now I'm interested in learning more about veggies.

• Like 2

All my kids at the breakfast table have heard of Cape Cod. Don't know where it is ("Is that a place by the ocean?") but they have all heard of it. No one has any idea what Perrin is. :D

When I used to work downtown my work group had a group lunch at a restaurant called Cabo.  Not a Spanish speaker amongst us at the time (odd for here), so chatting turned to what the word "cabo" meant.  We asked the (young, cute, and well aware of it) waiter, and all he could say was "it's Cabo.  As in Cabo San Lucas.  It's a name.  It has no other meaning."

One of my coworkers had an early smart phone and looked it up.  At the end of the meal we informed the waiter that "cabo" means "cape", as in the landform.  "So?"  "So next time a customer asks you will be able to tell them."

He did not get much of a tip.  His service was poor even before we asked that question, and it only got worse after we asked.

• Like 2

Actually, that's not totally true.  I'm a bit more interested in educational philosophy than that.  I did really enjoy Karen Glass's book Consider This.  And I have to restrain myself when people I know think that CC (Classical Conversations) IS classical education because I don't think it is.  And I should probably re-read Teaching from Rest every summer.   :laugh:

#jadedveteran

I got a quarter of the way through Consider This and I felt like it was just her saying pretty things and I'm having a hard time picking it back up.   

Good Morning!

I hope so!
  • Like 2

Caffeine. Caffeine. Caffeine.

I dropped dh off this morning at work with a kiss, drove away, and my cell phone rang. His laptop was still in the backseat.

Hopefully my vehicle gets untrapped from the garage today. Dh says the spring is broken, so hopefully he comes with the part.

1. Yes!

2. Oh carp!

3. Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

Educational theory:  I read and loved the WTM and John Holt.  I had to stop reading everything else, because my teaching profile is "NEUROTIC."  :willy_nilly:

I used to be really interested in educational philosophy, but my implementation stunk so bad that I figure I only need a small dash of it now.  I don't really need the difference between whatever that one word was and multa non multum.  I just need to make sure we have a balance of skills and content, make sure we're moving forward in skills without too much busy work, hope we're engaging with something somewhere and try to tweak it if we're not, keep enough activities going that they're not on screens half the day.  (Is there a 3 word Latin phrase for that?)

Case in point:  I read this line, felt crushing guilt, and my palms started sweating.  No kidding.  :svengo:

Good morning!

Coffee!

Happy Anniversary!  And I'm really glad that the Beast is a gentleman and not a beast.

• Like 5

In other news, DD should be taking her final chapter test for Physics, then semester final and labs next week.  Bravewriter Lit Analysis is continuing more or less on schedule.  So she should be really done by the end of next week, as per the Revised, Nope-Modified Again, Uh-Oh-More Revisions, Oh-CARP-What Happened, OK Let's Try This, Final Schedule.

And I looked at the calendar yesterday and felt the stirrings of a panic attack when I saw the date when she is scheduled to leave.  :o

• Like 8

An interesting note: the "generational" differences (the differences due to the times and not due to levels of maturity) don't seem to follow the generations arbitrarily defined by the Census (baby boomers, generation X, etc.) so much as they seem to follow when the parents of the generations or individuals being compared were growing up. Many people of my sister's so-called generation had parents younger than my sister, so they tend to be surprised by some of the things she, their contemporary, does.

As for me, I'm on the cusp between two Census-designated generations. I refuse to be categorized so easily. :laugh:

I think that's true. Kids seem to pick up on the values of their parents more than we think. It's especially interesting when you have a first child of parents who are little older. My parents actually missed being Baby Boomers by a couple of years, they married in '60, but I, their oldest and only bio child was born in 1968. The parents of my contemporaries are all quite a bit younger than my parents.
  • Like 1

This my hang up, too. I get forgetting where it is, or not having been there. But the way he asked first, "What's Cape Cod?" And then, "never heard of it." I was just astounded. And then my friend telling me she wasn't surprised he didn't know, and that I expect too much from people.

But I didn't know Perrin, so... :) I guess I forgive him. :LOL:

Yeah.... But... It's Cape Cod. It's an extremely obvious geographical feature of our country. It's on all the maps. And it features prominently in the history of our country - the Pilgrims and all that. People should know about Cape Cod. It's like the Golden Gage Bridge or the Mississippi River. If you're an American, yiu should know these things. He should sue his elementary school for educational neglect. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

I used to be really interested in educational philosophy, but my implementation stunk so bad that I figure I only need a small dash of it now. I don't really need the difference between whatever that one word was and multa non multum. I just need to make sure we have a balance of skills and content, make sure we're moving forward in skills without too much busy work, hope we're engaging with something somewhere and try to tweak it if we're not, keep enough activities going that they're not on screens half the day. (Is there a 3 word Latin phrase for that?)

Stabbat Mater. The Mother is Standing.

It's not three words, and I'm actually not sure what the context is, but it was one of our Latin Phrases and I thought it fit the need.

• Like 4

She lost me when she said children shouldn't be taught logic and sgould be taught that just because something is logical doesn't mean it's right. That was kind of when I realized the theology underpinning her work was not compatible with Catholicism, at least imo. Diesn't mean she doesn't have a lot of great things to say, but now I take it all with a grain of salt. I don't know enough about different Protestant theologies to tell whether that would be an issue for some/most.

God is a god of logic and perfection. The only exceptions are miracles which are clearly stated and while they are exceptions to our logic they are put in play for logical reasons. Virgins do not have children, but the wages of sin is death and sin is passed from the father so we needed a virgin mother to birth our savior. Lots of theological differences between us, but that's not one of them.

• Like 2

I'm just the kind of big nerd that read everything I could get my hands on when my oldest was still in diapers. 🤓 But I feel like I'm in a season of life now where I've absorbed what I can and now they do more harm than good and I need to just figure out what's working for us and develop the discipline to actually do it. Also, having been around for a bit I'm a little less naive about what the lives of the homeschooling guru moms usually actually are like...it usually involves more paid help and falling back on workbooks than their most famous stuff would suggest or they burn out and end up sending their kids to school. Not to say there's no phenomenal ones, but...they are phenomenal, and I don't feel any more guilty abot not being them than I feel guilty about the fact thst I'll never run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Hey, I'm a homeschooling mom who burnt out and sent some to school. And I used some outside classes and a couple workbooks. I'm still phenomenal!! Phenomenal is a state of mind and also about being able to recognize what each kid needs and giving them that instead of clinging to some ideal homeschool/family life that you want but won't work with the personalities you have. 

We're all phenomenal!

• Like 4

Yeah.... But... It's Cape Cod. It's an extremely obvious geographical feature of our country. It's on all the maps. And it features prominently in the history of our country - the Pilgrims and all that. People should know about Cape Cod. It's like the Golden Gage Bridge or the Mississippi River. If you're an American, yiu should know these things. He should sue his elementary school for educational neglect.

Ab.So.Lute.Ly.

Everyone should know about the Golden Gage Bridge.  :iagree:

(teehee.gif)

• Like 7

Yeah, I was an awesome homeschooler when I only had two boys and they were both in preschool. And yes, I believe you are right about the lives of the homeschool gurus. How can it not be that?? Unless they all have extremely compliant, brilliant and willing children.... It's that whole Happy Little Learners Snuggled on the Couch Reading Living Books and having a Socratic Discussion. That is sooooo far from my reality and I am finally at the point where I am ok with that.
  • Like 4

Good morning. I slept for almost 7 hours last night. That is more than I usually sleep and is glorious. My doctor is having me double up on one of my meds (which has nothing to do with sleep) and that eased my discomfort enough that I could sleep.

Today has two mental tackle lists - a medical list should the phone ring getting me in for my CT scan and a non medical one for while I am waiting for the darn phone to ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Mom-Sleep -- The type of sleep in which you sleep so lightly that every.single.noise wakes you up because you think that someone might need you for something. :lol:

. I used to sleep like that, but now I don't. I make DH wake up and deal with the night problems.
  • Like 3

Good morning. I slept for almost 7 hours last night. That is more than I usually sleep and is glorious. My doctor is having me double up on one of my meds (which has nothing to do with sleep) and that eased my discomfort enough that I could sleep.

Today has two mental tackle lists - a medical list should the phone ring getting me in for my CT scan and a non medical one for while I am waiting for the darn phone to ring.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

I was sitting here typing on my phone and I kept hearing light knocking. Finally I got up and went to my door to look out to see what it could be. And there was one of my neighbors! She had locked herself out of her house and I have a key. She's saved me more than once when I have been locked out. But the light tapping was weird. I guess she was afraid of waking the kids up.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

Oh and an update on my compounded med. That particular doctor is on vacation but the on call doctor took pity on me and prescribed a small amount to tide me over. I used my last pill last night. That's another phone call I am waiting for today- to see if the pharmacy has made up my pills yet.

• Like 7

I think that's true. Kids seem to pick up on the values of their parents more than we think. It's especially interesting when you have a first child of parents who are little older. My parents actually missed being Baby Boomers by a couple of years, they married in '60, but I, their oldest and only bio child was born in 1968. The parents of my contemporaries are all quite a bit younger than my parents.

How's this for amusing:  My two SILs and I belong to 3 different generations, if you go by Census Bureau definitions.   :laugh:

• Like 2

Yeah.... But... It's Cape Cod. It's an extremely obvious geographical feature of our country. It's on all the maps. And it features prominently in the history of our country - the Pilgrims and all that. People should know about Cape Cod. It's like the Golden Gage Bridge or the Mississippi River. If you're an American, yiu should know these things. He should sue his elementary school for educational neglect.

I want to go see the Golden Gage Bridge!  

The sun reflection is winking at me again.  There's a car parked behind our back yard, with a willow tree and our fence partially obscuring the reflected sunlight off of the windshield.  When the breeze blows it looks like someone flashing a signal to me, or the light is winking.  It's both annoyingly bright and interesting at the same time.

• Like 3

Hey, I'm a homeschooling mom who burnt out and sent some to school. And I used some outside classes and a couple workbooks. I'm still phenomenal!! Phenomenal is a state of mind and also about being able to recognize what each kid needs and giving them that instead of clinging to some ideal homeschool/family life that you want but won't work with the personalities you have. 

We're all phenomenal!

That we are!  That we are!

• Like 1

Hurray for sleep!  I hope you get more good sleep tonight.

• Like 2

My garage door is fixed! I sprung for new rollers while he was here.  He tossed in a free can of spray lube, told me how to do some work on my own for 1/2 the price, and told me where I can get a new weather barrier for the door.  Yay!

Hooray for working garage doors and helpful fix-it guys!

• Like 1

Your kids are awesome, too!

• Like 1

The sun reflection is winking at me again. There's a car parked behind our back yard, with a willow tree and our fence partially obscuring the reflected sunlight off of the windshield. When the breeze blows it looks like someone flashing a signal to me, or the light is winking. It's both annoyingly bright and interesting at the same time.

Could be a message. (Have you watched Stranger Things on Netflix?)

• Like 2