Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Tuesday Morning!

(((Ellie)))

Isabel, your dd cracked me up.

JJM, I like the Descartes joke.  I'll share that with my older ones later.  

Prairie, so putting knives in the dishwasher is bad?  For a real reason?  I figured some of these things people made up to make my life harder.   :D

• Like 7

Good Morning!

I have to do all the things today. Plus school lessons and music lessons and youth orchestra.

Dd18 is frustrated with her advanced communications class because every week they have to write an essay or paper or give a speech, and her teacher never gets the assignment requirements to them until Monday or Tuesday - class is on Thursday. The class is supposed to reflect college requirements, but I have assured dd that in college she will likely have the specific requirements for papers and speeches on the very first day of class.

I always put my knives in the dishwasher.

<DingDongDingDongDingDongDingDong>

Can Krissi Play!?!? :D

Coffee!

• Like 8

Dh and I ended up at a cafe and got sandwiches and dessert. I had a Reuben.

I do sharpen knives. It's my penance for being lazy and occasionally running them through the dishwasher.

OMG - is that bad?  I do that all the time.  :leaving:

• Like 2

I do it in public on the ITT and what's nicer than that? 

She IS very open about it, not duplicitous at all, isn't she?

Computer keyboards are all missing a very important button -- the switch caps button.  This is the button you push after highlighting text you typed after leaving all-caps on by mistake so you can reverse the capitalization of each letter so you don't have to re-type the whole danged thing.  Why has no one built in this function?!?!

• Like 4

Rocky is a biological weapon tonight.  Just saying. 

I need like a cattle prod that turns down really, really low.

Like quotas should be abolished for ITT participants.  Just sayin'.

LIKE!

• Like 5

I haven't read the book.  And, no, I don't talk to my stuff.  I've just been shoving stuff in trash bags.   :)

It is easier to do that if you don't anthropomorphize the stuff first, isn't it?

• Like 1

Well but that is just Decluttering.  Of which I do plenty.  I'd suggest not to bother with the book if you're happily decluttering already.

Yeah, a while back I had to declutter the books I had accumulated on decluttering.   :laugh:

• Like 1

Good morning. Coffee is good.

was an interesting series on youtube. Getting rid of 30 bags in 30 days. And yes, I watched every.single.video. Because insomnia. :svengo:

It took me a while to place her accent. It turns out that she's a French woman living in New Jersey. ;)

Several years ago, I gave up clutter for Lent. I did 40 bags in as many days. I probably need to do it again though.

She IS very open about it, not duplicitous at all, isn't she?

Computer keyboards are all missing a very important button -- the switch caps button. This is the button you push after highlighting text you typed after leaving all-caps on by mistake so you can reverse the capitalization of each letter so you don't have to re-type the whole danged thing. Why has no one built in this function?!?!

I need this button.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I woke up this morning to find that I am yet another functional door down. I refuse to change another lock-set. I've done the last three, every indoor handle in the house, and I'm just done. Everybody can go out the front door until the birds fall from the sky or change the danged things themselves after they wear them out from trying to go out the door before they actually turn the knob. :cursing:

I might need the cranky pants. The dragon scale ones. And extra chocolate.

• Like 4

Yeah, I know.  The library has the book; I *might* check it out.  It's kind of fun to watch people Konmari-ing their house, though, when I'm up in the middle of the night with insomnia.  Then I just de-clutter my own way when the sun's up.   :)

That works!

I found my initial reaction to the Konmari book rather interesting -- "The book costs how much and all one gets is this little thing?!?"  I had to tell myself to read it through first, and then I acknowledged that this book contained as much useful stuff as other books I had gotten on the subject and took up less space.  Some of the other books were promptly decluttered, not waiting until I got to books in general.

I do like the Konmari book and find some of her content to be useful reminders.  I won't, however, store most of my clothes in drawers because we Elfa'd our closet so we can get rid of our dressers in the bedroom entirely.  (Couldn't use all that space for anything other than storage, so having plenty of bar space and a few drawers in the closet freed up room space in the bedroom.  Which we just refilled with bookshelves.   :laugh: )  I also find it a lot easier, since I have the closet space, to keep my clothes hanging out in plain sight -- I'm less likely to think I need more clothing when I can see how much I have.  Drawers don't do this for me since they are boxes I tend to fill until they won't hold any more.  Of course, if we lived in a smaller place drawers (carefully organized) might be used more by us.

I also cannot do the marathon sessions she advocates with anything other than clothes.  I simply don't have the time to do one all in one go, and our work spaces are always in use and cannot be freed up for such use except for an hour or two at a whack.  Instead I cross the Konmari marathon purge with the capsule idea -- I do all of the like items in an area at a time.  This makes it more time- and space-manageable during the task, and I still get much of the benefit.  As space gets cleared in capsule areas I fetch other items that should also go there from around the house.  I also add a Flylady element to these purges -- I limit the time (most of the time) and make myself stop and put stuff away after my time allotment expires, otherwise I end up with the decluttering project at hand being one of the big hot spot space-eaters keeping me from doing other things.

Some of what she says bugged me because I felt she simply didn't understand a) U.S. lifestyles outside of large cities, and b) what life can be like after you have acquired a few decades and some kids.  I recognized she was young and hadn't yet experienced many things I had, so I looked for what I could use and ignored the rest.  I do appreciate the aesthetics of her little book -- I found it easy on the eyes and nice to the touch.  This is why I still like hardcopy books -- the tactile FEEL of them speaks to me.  Ebooks are nice and I have some, but they lack this element.

• Like 2

I have the book, and I do talk to my stuff. It does help the process along. Especially if you deal with guilt over "spending good money" on something, realizing you hate it, can't return it because you took off the tags and wore it once or twice and tried to make it work but couldn't, but have trouble getting rid of it. Because some people have this problem. But the process of thanking the object for teaching me ... er... some people that they hate polka-dots and won't ever buy polka-dots again has helped me... Er.... some people... get rid of a lot of stuff. It's psychological for some people.

Yes, it is.

Unfortunately my DD12 anthropomorphizes stuff too much.  If she has no choice and something is leaving her life having her say thank you to it helps the separation process.  But if she's the one choosing stuff to let go of she can't do this or she won't ever get rid of anything.  This is something I hope she grows out of eventually.  We test it periodically.  It helps if the stuff can be given to someone else who would actually appreciate it, but old, broken stuff tends to be tougher.

Good Tuesday Morning!

(((Ellie)))

Isabel, your dd cracked me up.

JJM, I like the Descartes joke.  I'll share that with my older ones later.  

Prairie, so putting knives in the dishwasher is bad?  For a real reason?  I figured some of these things people made up to make my life harder.   :D

It is very harsh to the sharp edge of your kitchen knives to put them through the dishwasher (dulls and pits the metal), and can cause the handles to deteriorate and break down quicker over time.  I am picky and won't put my sharp knives or good pots and pans through the dishwasher (I paid hard-earned money for many of my knives when I worked food service).  MIL, however, has decided that for her it's a quality of life issue to not hand-wash anything she can fit in the dishwasher and puts them all in at her house.  She and FIL have decided they don't want any cooking implements they can't put in the machine, with the exception of items that are needed but just too big (like the big wooden cutting board).

For me it was also a safety thing -- I wouldn't even allow small, cheap paring knives in the dishwasher because I didn't want kids assigned to empty it to accidentally cut themselves.  They are older now, so it's time I taught them how to properly handwash such items, anyway.

• Like 1

Depending on the knife type, it's either the alkalinity of the dishwasher soap or the prolonged exposure to water that dulls the blade.  I'm careful to not place the knife in a position where it's going to get knocked about by other things, and I resharpen it before use.

Hugs to everyone. I've got to go be productive, but I don't think it's going to happen.  

• Like 1

Morning! I'm going to work. Having coffee right now.

Ding dong! Can Krissi play??

I don't talk to my stuff, either. I talk to myself enough for people to already think I'm crazy! I Kon Mari'd last year sometime. It was wonderful!

I agree! This is probably what I cctually did!

I would like to watch the videos of people decluttering. I listened to the audio book on you tube, but never saw the demonstration.

That's all I saw even on my kindle!

Yeah.

I have always been told that knives are dulled by putting them in the dishwasher. I do it anyway. But is it the heat of drying that dulls them? I don't use heat dry.

Talking to oneself is not crazy, nor is it crazy to answer oneself.  The time to worry is when the response you give yourself is, "Sorry -- repeat that, please?  I wasn't paying attention."  (Been there....)

I tried peeking at a couple of the Konmari videos but found them a bit long and slow to get going.  I know she's explaining for viewers unfamiliar with the methods, so I skip a bit.  

The detergents in dishwasher soap are quite harsh and can etch the metal.  The prolonged sitting in a wet environment also isn't good for the metal or handles, and if you don't isolate the knives well enough the washing process can cause the knives and other items to bang together a bit, further beating them up.  Heat dry itself won't hurt the blades, but can cause further deterioration of some handle materials.  If you have costly knives don't run them in the dishwasher -- wash them by hand.  If you want to dishwasher your knives don't buy costly ones, only get knives you don't mind replacing after a while, and sharpen them frequently.

• Like 3

Good morning. Coffee is good.

Several years ago, I gave up clutter for Lent. I did 40 bags in as many days. I probably need to do it again though.

I need this button.

I misread this as you having given up DEcluttering for Lent!  I could go for that at times!   :laugh:

• Like 3

It is annual enrollment time at DH's place of employment.  He just got out of a meeting in which they presented the changes this year.  Higher cost for all employees, and all maintenance meds MUST be ordered through mail order or we have to pay full price at the pharmacy.  Grr.  What if my dosages are still being adjusted?  What if my prescriptions are lost or stolen when I'm on a trip?  How will my pharmacist know what-all I'm taking if I'm prescribed something temporary (I rely on the pharmacist cross-checking and warning me about potential interactions -- this did catch a prescription error once made by an urgent care doc)?  

I really rely on having all of my meds recorded and filled at one pharmacy in a nation-wide chain.  Doing so really saved my bacon a few times.

Computer keyboards are all missing a very important button -- the switch caps button.  This is the button you push after highlighting text you typed after leaving all-caps on by mistake so you can reverse the capitalization of each letter so you don't have to re-type the whole danged thing.  Why has no one built in this function?!?!

Shift+F3 works in Word.

Maybe we can ask the mods that new guy they hired for a Special BBCode to do that on the forum?

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

Must do Geometry.

What are you doing?   

I quit today. Allergies have us all fuzzy headed and unable to focus. We powered through math, but now we're done.

Maybe we'll watch a documentary or something.

Magic School Bus!
  • Like 1

I can do that. I have some yummy baked oatmeal for the gluten-free among us and homemade cinnamon rolls. And of course.... COFFEE!

Baked oatmeal -- interesting idea.  Recipe, please?

What are you doing?   

Key to Geometry. I do five pages a day while the boys work on their math. I never had formal geometry, and I decided it would be a good thing to figure my way around constructions before trying to do a formal geometry program. 

I adore the Key to Series. I worked through Key to Algebra last year just for fun. Geometry and I are not great friends. I find it fascinating, but I have zero sense of direction due to my inability to tell my right from my left. I don't believe I am dyslexic, but I have always had to look at my hands to figure out which is the right side.

• Like 2

Shift+F3 works in Word.

Maybe we can ask the mods that new guy they hired for a Special BBCode to do that on the forum?

Thanks, I'll have to try that.  I wonder if it will work in posts?

I quit today. Allergies have us all fuzzy headed and unable to focus. We powered through math, but now we're done.

Maybe we'll watch a documentary or something.

It took us a while to get through Math today, too, largely because we were checking and reworking assignments from earlier.  We are all caught up, however, so after lunch we must email off the work and I need to print out the next bits for the kids.

Because of the extra time devoted to math we likely won't do Logic today.  And that's okay.

The cat has received her meds and tuna.  This afternoon I also need to exercise, and I have requested the girls let me listen to them practice their music this week.  Their music teacher gave them exercises to practice TOGETHER (one on piano, one singing), and I don't understand what he wrote.  They are likely exercises I have done in my past; I've done a number of such without knowing what they were called.

• Like 1

Key to Geometry. I do five pages a day while the boys work on their math. I never had formal geometry, and I decided it would be a good thing to figure my way around constructions before trying to do a formal geometry program. 

I adore the Key to Series. I worked through Key to Algebra last year just for fun. Geometry and I are not great friends. I find it fascinating, but I have zero sense of direction due to my inability to tell my right from my left. I don't believe I am dyslexic, but I have always had to look at my hands to figure out which is the right side.

My MIL also has always had issues with right and left -- when I'd go out with her somewhere and she drove I'd say "driver side" and "passenger side".  Amazingly MIL had a career working with mapping applications and did quite well.  In hindsight this makes sense (I had a similar career) -- one seldom has to actually think about left and right when working with maps.  The directional language uses other terminology.  

• Like 2