Menu

Ignore this thread!

I want the illustrated HP books. They look so beautiful! I think I will start buying one volume every year as a family Christmas gift. Then when I am dead, the kids can all fight over them. :D

I agree about the LoTR movies. They were beautiful, but some of the storyline was changed so much it took away the brilliance and depth of the stories. I guess with books like that, it is near impossible to capture the story in such a short time. An extended TV mini-series might work if you were willing to spend the time and money and plan to not recoup any of the costs.

More coffee!

• Like 8

So maybe we need to fill out the FAFSA?  We don't know when ds16 is graduating yet.  We're delaying his graduation on purpose because he didn't want to be 15 (almost 16) when he started college.  If we had worked hard, he could have started college this semester.  He will probably graduate in December 2017 or maybe as late as June 2018.

And there are 5 after him.  So Susan is right -- every year, forever amen.  Kind of like the PSAT.  I require my kids to take it twice;  the kids are all two years apart.  So every year until 2025.   :svengo:

I rather agree with the reluctance to start college at age not-quite-16.  I had a friend in college who started at age 16 (just turned 16).  I started at age 17 (just turned 17).  My eldest niece has started at age 16.  There are some challenges to being significantly younger than most everyone else on campus.  My friend and I attended a small college with an all-girl campus (though classes were shared with the all-boys campus, so classes were mixed) so there were fewer misgivings about our young selves living on campus and lots of vigilant and caring nuns and monks watching over us all.  My niece could only get the college to let her enroll this early because she lives close enough to campus she can live at home, with her parents.  She has to drive herself, however, and moved to the area just as her college year started, so she had no familiarity with the area (just a couple of quick visits with her Mom insisting on driving) and no practice driving in that kind of traffic before having to do so.

These are not insurmountable issues, but they do add to the stress of starting college.  There are a few socializing issues, too -- several times my DN has had to inform guys clearly of drinking age that not only is she still not drinking age herself, she's still under age 18.  She's finding that both boys and girls seem hesitant to visit with her and just be friends because of her younger age.  She's very gregarious and personable so she will make friends, but she's a bit disheartened by the initial reluctance on classmates' parts.

My SIL's family has 5 kids spaced about 2 years apart (DN mentioned above is the oldest), with one more still a toddler.  She's facing similar issues with tests and college admittances in the years ahead, plus since her kids all attend B & M schools she also has to deal with every child (except the toddler) going to a separate school building with a separate school schedule through most of their remaining education.  I'm getting the barest inkling of what she deals with by watching from (slightly) afar, and I'm impressed at how she handles it all.

You impress me, too.

• Like 5

I read it for the first time when I was 19 or 20, followed by LOTR. I have read them now over 30 times. Hence my consternation and great disappointment when the movies came out and so.many.changes had been made to the story. :crying:

I am currently in Harry Potter mode. 

That is all.

I share your consternation with what the movies did, especially the Hobbit movie I saw (didn't bother to watch the others).  I remember an old Hobbit animated film I actually did like, but the books win out over the rest by far.

We are out of HP mode here, having gone through all of the books and the movies.  Enjoy the books for what they are.  Enjoy the movies for what they are.  In your mind divorce them from each other -- don't expect similarities -- then you will be happy where they do align and won't be as disappointed where they don't.

• Like 4

I want the illustrated HP books. They look so beautiful! I think I will start buying one volume every year as a family Christmas gift. Then when I am dead, the kids can all fight over them. :D

I agree about the LoTR movies. They were beautiful, but some of the storyline was changed so much it took away the brilliance and depth of the stories. I guess with books like that, it is near impossible to capture the story in such a short time. An extended TV mini-series might work if you were willing to spend the time and money and plan to not recoup any of the costs.

More coffee!

Where Tolkien and other literature is concerned I find that no matter how well done the movie might be I'm always disappointed unless they have a narrator reading segments.  I love the poetry, the very SOUND of the writing, and without a narrator that is simply too elusive to capture in a movie.

Out of Africa, for example.  Meryl Streep narrated some as well as playing the lead, and so the viewers got some of the beautiful, expressive writing as well as some spectacular photography, music, and acting.

• Like 7

I have gotten started, and I'm on my second cup of coffee.

I made gravy with roux before I learned what a roux was from Emeril. My cousin that passed away last year taught me. Good memories.

I'm ashamed to say I have never read The Hobbit or Alice in Wonderland. But I would like to, I think. For some reason I thought I would not like The Hobbit, but it seems to be popular. Maybe I should.

We found two kittens that were dumped at church yesterday. They were starved so we brought them home of course. We don't need anymore cats. We have too many. They are all outside cats, and they have plenty of countryside to roam and hunt. They are all big pets. The children and dh love and are attached to all of them. So they don't want to give any away.

• Like 7

I have one load of dishes in the dishwasher and washed some pans, and now I need to head to the basement to organize.

Nope, I actually need to call the ortho. Why? Now I am scared.

Good job on the housework.  Stay calm and call the ortho -- usually it's just some schedule management or bookkeeping.  You can tell us later if it's not.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

I'm back. DS is delivered at school. I decided on my way across town that instead of getting frustrated at the idiots that drive the streets of our smallish town I would extend grace instead. So, I worked on that.

Regarding Tolkien... I like him as a person, I appreciate his genius, I appreciate everything about him, but I can't stand his writing. He's too wordy, too detailed. I remember reading one of his LOTR books and they came to this town and then there's this whole chapter on the history of this town and I'm thinking, "why do I care about this town? I don't! They're just passing through." And I just skipped the chapter.

• Like 7

I'm ashamed to say I have never read The Hobbit or Alice in Wonderland. But I would like to, I think. For some reason I thought I would not like The Hobbit, but it seems to be popular. Maybe I should.

We found two kittens that were dumped at church yesterday. They were starved so we brought them home of course. We don't need anymore cats. We have too many. They are all outside cats, and they have plenty of countryside to roam and hunt. They are all big pets. The children and dh love and are attached to all of them. So they don't want to give any away.

Yes, of course, you should read the Hobbit, even if you don't read LOTR. It is a good story all by itself.

And yes you do need more cats. What is this "too many" of which you speak? :confused1:  Fie on the people who dumped them off. :cursing:

Where Tolkien and other literature is concerned I find that no matter how well done the movie might be I'm always disappointed unless they have a narrator reading segments.  I love the poetry, the very SOUND of the writing, and without a narrator that is simply too elusive to capture in a movie.

Out of Africa, for example.  Meryl Streep narrated some as well as playing the lead, and so the viewers got some of the beautiful, expressive writing as well as some spectacular photography, music, and acting.

You're right. I rarely watch a movie based on a book which equaled the book in any way.

I share your consternation with what the movies did, especially the Hobbit movie I saw (didn't bother to watch the others).  I remember an old Hobbit animated film I actually did like, but the books win out over the rest by far.

We are out of HP mode here, having gone through all of the books and the movies.  Enjoy the books for what they are.  Enjoy the movies for what they are.  In your mind divorce them from each other -- don't expect similarities -- then you will be happy where they do align and won't be as disappointed where they don't.

Actually, I sort of liked the new Hobbit movies. :-) The animated one was terrible. I own the HP movies; the first three are pretty close to the books, but after that...I have to avoid shouting "THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!!" when I watch them, which I rarely do any more. I read the series three times before I watched a movie; then I'd read the book and watch the movie, read the book and watch the movie...I wasn't nearly as offended with them as I was with the LOTR movies, but still... 

Only one of my dds--the one who was Sorted into Slytherin!!!--cares about HP, so I'm not going to buy the illustrated books, even though it is tempting. :D

With LOTR, it wasn't only that there was no way to capture the story; it is that some major things were changed, such as Farramir. Oh my Farramir!! He was one of the heroes of the story, not a jerk. And what was with Arwen Warrior Girl? and keeping the Sword That was Broken in Rivendell instead of Aragorn carrying it with him? And...oh, there's so much more. It makes me weep...

• Like 4

Yes, of course, you should read the Hobbit, even if you don't read LOTR. It is a good story all by itself.

And yes you do need more cats. What is this "too many" of which you speak? :confused1:  Fie on the people who dumped them off. :cursing:

You're right. I rarely watch a movie based on a book which equaled the book in any way.

Actually, I sort of liked the new Hobbit movies. :-) The animated one was terrible. I own the HP movies; the first three are pretty close to the books, but after that...I have to avoid shouting "THAT'S NOT WHAT HAPPENED!!" when I watch them, which I rarely do any more. I read the series three times before I watched a movie; then I'd read the book and watch the movie, read the book and watch the movie...I wasn't nearly as offended with them as I was with the LOTR movies, but still... 

Only one of my dds--the one who was Sorted into Slytherin!!!--cares about HP, so I'm not going to buy the illustrated books, even though it is tempting. :D

With LOTR, it wasn't only that there was no way to capture the story; it is that some major things were changed, such as Farramir. Oh my Farramir!! He was one of the heroes of the story, not a jerk. And what was with Arwen Warrior Girl? and keeping the Sword That was Broken in Rivendell instead of Aragorn carrying it with him? And...oh, there's so much more. It makes me weep...

The animated Hobbit was what actually introduced me to Tolkien, back when I was quite young, so I guess I remember less the quality of the film (which was on par with a lot of things I was watching back then) and more the enthrallment I had with the story itself.

And yeah.  I understand needing to cut some things for the sake of time and money when making a movie, but changing major elements of the story is generally unforgivable.

#staytruetothestory

#Hanshotfirst

#IhavestrongambivalentfeelingsaboutDisneybecauseofstorychanges

• Like 5

Good job on the housework. Stay calm and call the ortho -- usually it's just some schedule management or bookkeeping. You can tell us later if it's not. :grouphug:

Whew. Not billing or emergency issues. He just wants dd13 to have an oral surgeon put a chain on her incisors(?) to get them to come out. He said they haven't moved in a year and he doesn't think it's a good idea to drag the process out more than necessary. We have very solid dental insurance.

A good bit of the basement has been cleared and swept. I am beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel/hallway. We are continually hampered by the appearance of wolf spiders and their babies or companions. Not dangerous, but scary looking even when dead.

• Like 6

I leapt into an argument on FB. 😵 I only had one cup of coffee, I swear, but I've mostly been sticking to water the past few months.

But seriously, not every long name is a dangerous substance.

I will go drink some hydrogen hydroxide now and see about the housework.

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 7

Thoughts in the shower.

I'm glad that we have water.

I'm glad that our water does not run out or turn yellow after one minute.

I'm glad that we have hot water.

I'm glad that we have soap.

And shampoo.

And warm fluffy towels. 

These thoughts were prompted by our time in the Philippines where I learned that these are not givens. 

• Like 11

Start with Alice.  It's shorter. :D

Truth.

This is one book (well, two, actually, since often both Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are smushed together) that I'm ok with plot changes in movies. [The grammar is weird in that sentence, but I cannot fix it.] It seems to me you need to *see* the words for yourself to really understand what's happening (good vocabulary and good knowledge of history also help). And it isn't really a children's book; how many children know what a caucus race is, and would get the humor in the comment about its being dry?

• Like 4

Sign Whitehawk is overcaffeinated: I leapt into a vaccination argument on FB. ! I only had one cup of coffee, I swear, but I've mostly been sticking to water the past few months.

But seriously, not every long name is a dangerous substance.

I will go drink some hydrogen hydroxide now and see about the housework.

This stuff, right?  http://www.armory.com/~crisper/DHMO/

Did you know there was a movement to get its use regulated or banned?

I hadn't mentioned this to the girls.  I'll have to have a talk with them about proper use of the stuff, and perhaps we can discuss Socratically whether or not it should be banned or regulated.  A teaching moment, yes? 

:D

• Like 5

Thoughts in the shower.

I'm glad that we have water.

I'm glad that our water does not run out or turn yellow after one minute.

I'm glad that we have hot water.

I'm glad that we have soap.

And shampoo.

And warm fluffy towels. 

These thoughts were prompted by our time in the Philippines where I learned that these are not givens. 

We are glad here, too, because we share such good fortune.

• Like 2

I have a niece who once ate all of the chocolate from her Christmas stocking in less than 5 minutes.  I now live in fear of kids getting an overdose of chocolate -- she was uncontrollable.  She is entering teenagehood and is now into planning parties, and cake, and chocolate.  She's planning her own birthday bash.  I'm scared.  I don't want to go.  

Is it shameful of me to send my kids to the party (if we are up there that weekend) and hide myself at other SIL's house?

• Like 5

This stuff, right?  http://www.armory.com/~crisper/DHMO/

Did you know there was a movement to get its use regulated or banned?

I hadn't mentioned this to the girls.  I'll have to have a talk with them about proper use of the stuff, and perhaps we can discuss Socratically whether or not it should be banned or regulated.  A teaching moment, yes? 

:D

Yup, a teachable moment!  I had the kids going until I wrote the two terms (hydrogen hydroxide and dihydrogen monoxide) on the whiteboard.  Once they saw the roots of the terms the jig was up.

• Like 2

I almost booya'd on another thread. I actually hit the edit button before I caught my error. :scared:

I've almost done that, too. I get a real let down and feeling of disappointment. Like, I've won, but nobody cares or would understand. Another reason I ITT!
  • Like 8