Menu

Ignore this thread!

Hi Girlies, I'm in my happy place right now. The weather is finally cool enough to wear sweat pants, I'm on my comfy couch, watching a football game and drinking COFFEE! We churched, we lunched, the boys are leaving for a youth group activity in an hour.... life is good!

AMJ - your turkey stock is inspiring me. That Alcoholic Thanksgiving cookbook I had said to make a ton of stock and use it for everything. You can freeze it for a month, so I will be doing that soon.

Whitehawk - I love pumpkin pie. Sounds like a great dessert.

Junie - hope your migraine goes away soon,

Jeannie - I hope you feel better!

Ellie - I hope your foot feels better soon, too!

Lana- congratulations. I won't tell anyone!

Hi Renai and Lynn and Ikslo and Dawn and Prairie!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

I just started rereading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, to prep in advance of assigning it to DS. And now I'm thinking maybe I never read it before. As in, I'm almost positive I have never read it. How can this be?

Seen enough movies and cartoons that contained pieces of it, perhaps?  I had the same feeling when the kids and I read it last year.  We also promptly delayed other books to follow it up with Through the Looking Glass (or whichever book came second).  A lot of the story bits I remembered as "Alice in Wonderland" were actually from the second book, so I think Disney and other movies/cartoons had an overly-strong influence on my experience of Alice when I was a kid.

• Like 4

I just started rereading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, to prep in advance of assigning it to DS. And now I'm thinking maybe I never read it before. As in, I'm almost positive I have never read it. How can this be?

I've only read bits and pieces. Never the story in it's entirety.
  • Like 3

Me too.  We put on a musical of sorts of it in elementary, but I never read the book.  And, actually, still haven't.   :leaving:   

• Like 3

Seen enough movies and cartoons that contained pieces of it, perhaps? I had the same feeling when the kids and I read it last year. We also promptly delayed other books to follow it up with Through the Looking Glass (or whichever book came second). A lot of the story bits I remembered as "Alice in Wonderland" were actually from the second book, so I think Disney and other movies/cartoons had an overly-strong influence on my experience of Alice when I was a kid.

I'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse, that Disney can mess with my memories like that!

• Like 4

I think next time I make turkey stock I will get DH or someone strong to break up the wings at the joints for me before I roast and submerge them.  I deliberately left out salt and pepper from my stock today so I could more easily use the stock as an ingredient in upcoming recipes, but the stock still seems rather thinner in taste than I was shooting for.  I have these choices now:

1. Freeze the stock as-is 
  2. Boil the stock down tomorrow before cooling it again and freezing it
  3. Go get more turkey parts and repeat the process, using the current stock as the liquid this time.

It took a lot of water to submerge the turkey wings, and that was with me folding them up as much as I could after roasting them (they kept unfolding).  Right now the stock is in the fridge cooling overnight so what fat is left can rise to the top and solidify for easy removal.

After roasting the wings I poured off the turkey fat in the pan and labeled and froze it to play with later.  I then deglazed the pan, scraping up as much stuff as I could, labeled that as "turkey drippings", and froze that to also play with later.  Perhaps if I had put the drippings/deglazing back into the stock it would have been more flavorful.

Plans for the stock:

• as an ingredient for stuffings
  • as a base for gravies
  • as a base for soups

I had been reading up on making gravies and most of the recipes for making gravy from stock call for adding in some fat with the thickener -- my thought was to use the turkey fat from the roasting pan, along with the drippings, to give gravy a bit more turkey flavor.  Having learned to make a good cornbread stuffing for one family member (now departed but fondly remembered) I guess I'm ready to start working out how to make a truly good gravy for another.  I have a new cooking challenge to snag my interest!

• Like 4

UPDATE: DH has agreed that we can just have the pie for dinner. (It's our family favorite.)

I threatened tuna patties last night; I think he wants me to forget about that and get to the store before cooking again.

ONE pie isn't enough for supper for the family.  How many did you make?  You might have to cook something else for the kids so you and DH can sup on pie.

• Like 1

I was thinking of chicken and stuffing for dinner. Now all I want is pie.

Same here.

Shopper alert:  Noosa makes a very yummy pumpkin yogurt, and now I found 4-packs of single-serve pumpkin Noosa at Target.  Noosa is evil -- I've been trying to cut back on their yogurt because I'll eat an entire 8 oz tub before I realize it.  Now they've come out with 4 oz. cups in 4-packs, and my stomach says I need to eat 2 at a time.

I've been good today (so far).  I only ate one.  But I'm really fighting hard right now, especially as I was making room in the fridge for the stock.  "Oh, look, I need to relocate one Noosa cup.  I could just eat it."  So hard, fighting such thoughts!

• Like 2

I had been reading up on making gravies and most of the recipes for making gravy from stock call for adding in some fat with the thickener -- my thought was to use the turkey fat from the roasting pan, along with the drippings, to give gravy a bit more turkey flavor. Having learned to make a good cornbread stuffing for one family member (now departed but fondly remembered) I guess I'm ready to start working out how to make a truly good gravy for another. I have a new cooking challenge to snag my interest!

I use a roux to thicken my gravy and use the pan drippings and stock. I make a ton of the roux early on and stick it in the fridge. Then it's ready to use when I need it.
  • Like 3

I use a roux to thicken my gravy and use the pan drippings and stock. I make a ton of the roux early on and stick it in the fridge. Then it's ready to use when I need it.

Yup, roux or beurre manie, these seem to thicken gravies most satisfactorily, and I thought perhaps I'd try doing one or the other with the turkey fat in lieu of butter.  I only have a little turkey fat, so if the idea pans out I'll be roasting more turkey bits in the weeks before Thanksgiving in order to do it again for the big feed.  If it doesn't I'll have time to revert to the butter roux or buerre manie.

This also gives me an excuse for playing with roux and buerre manie, of course.

An offshoot of the Gravy for D project is to also play with non-grain thickeners to see if I can also figure out a decent turkey gravy for a friend who can't have any grain.  Rice flours are now out for her, too, so I'm wondering about arrowroot or nut flours.  More to play with!

We churched, Babies R Us'd and Costcoed. Alex got a simple toy that I don't think existed when the others were babies, or at least I didn't see it. It's a ball made out of little rings so it's easy for little fingers to hold. I had a credit that was going to expire and we needed larger nipples. For bottle feeding, not breastfeeding. Don't be weird.

Leftovers for dinner.

Communion tonight.

I'm oddly proud of the chocolate thread.

• Like 6

You know, I think you hit upon how to get the benefits of both roux and buerre manie.  I don't know why no one online has mentioned this idea (or why it didn't occur to me), but that's genius, actually!  You have all the conveniences of the buerre manie but also have the advantage of further flavor development from cooking the roux.  Great idea!

We churched, Babies R Us'd and Costcoed. Alex got a simple toy that I don't think existed when the others were babies, or at least I didn't see it. It's a ball made out of little rings so it's easy for little fingers to hold. I had a credit that was going to expire and we needed larger nipples. For bottle feeding, not breastfeeding. Don't be weird.

Leftovers for dinner.

Communion tonight.

I'm oddly proud of the chocolate thread.

Good job, Slashie!  I just read that thread.  And saw the reason.  I'm impressed!

• Like 2

I could try these!  The cat will be mad if I use up the one remaining can of tuna, but she can just deal.

Oh, I'm out of sweet potatoes.  Okay, I'll pick up more tuna on the next store run, too.  I have been to the store 3 times in the last 5 days, and here I am planning another stop tomorrow!

• Like 2

You know, I think you hit upon how to get the benefits of both roux and buerre manie. I don't know why no one online has mentioned this idea (or why it didn't occur to me), but that's genius, actually! You have all the conveniences of the buerre manie but also have the advantage of further flavor development from cooking the roux. Great idea!

Why thank you! :) I just do it because it's easy. My mom taught me to make gravy that way.
  • Like 1

I could try these! The cat will be mad if I use up the one remaining can of tuna, but she can just deal.

Oh, I'm out of sweet potatoes. Okay, I'll pick up more tuna on the next store run, too. I have been to the store 3 times in the last 5 days, and here I am planning another stop tomorrow!

I heart them. I double the recipe because they microwave well. I usually serve them with cauliflower couscous.

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/recipes/search/0/all/100421/cauliflower-couscous

This would be good too(sub pepper mayo):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14280/fresh-broccoli-salad/?internalsource=search%20result&referringcontenttype=search%20results

• Like 1

I heart them. I double the recipe because they microwave well. I usually serve them with cauliflower couscous.

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/recipes/search/0/all/100421/cauliflower-couscous

This would be good too(sub pepper mayo):

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14280/fresh-broccoli-salad/?internalsource=search%20result&referringcontenttype=search%20results

I will have to try these, and test them on the kids, too.  Does the cauliflower couscous do well as leftovers (cold or reheated), or is it best eaten all in one sitting?  I have to watch it on the broccoli and relateds as they cause me to get gassy if I eat too much.  (I wonder if blanching might reduce that?)

I will have to try these, and test them on the kids, too. Does the cauliflower couscous do well as leftovers (cold or reheated), or is it best eaten all in one sitting? I have to watch it on the broccoli and relateds as they cause me to get gassy if I eat too much. (I wonder if blanching might reduce that?)

I've never made enough for leftovers. Lo siento.

You know, I think you hit upon how to get the benefits of both roux and buerre manie.  I don't know why no one online has mentioned this idea (or why it didn't occur to me), but that's genius, actually!  You have all the conveniences of the buerre manie but also have the advantage of further flavor development from cooking the roux.  Great idea!

I don't know these words.  I don't want to know them.   :leaving:

• Like 5

How to make gravy:  1. Open jar.  2. Pour into the coffee creamer thing. (The gravy boat is an antique.)  3.  Heat in the microwave.  4.  Watch other people eat it.

Edit.  1. Have someone else Open jar.  ;)

Edited by Junie
  • Like 7

I don't make gravy, because we only ever eat it on roast meat, and that's one of my husband's things.  Roast is a once a month or so epic. He takes hours to cook, and he makes the kitchen look like ground zero in the process*, and the gravy turns out slightly different each time because he couldn't possibly follow a set recipe  :lol: 

*I don't know whether this is a man thing, or whether it's just my man. But when I cook, I wash up and tidy as I go, whereas whenever he cooks, it takes me at least an hour to clean up afterwards. (I don't actually mind doing it, it's fair enough since he does twice as much cooking as I do, I'm just curious.)

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 7

I don't know these words. I don't want to know them. :leaving:

I've decided that you need to learn how to make a roux. I will have you and the kids over for an etouffee lesson and you all shall roux. Maybe crawfish etouffee with pineapple bread pudding and coconut rum sauce. Dawn and the kids too. It'll be fun.

Roux is flour and fat (butter, lard, oil) cooked together on the stove. I'll often make a roux and build a soup upon it. Very easy. Sounds impressive because it has a silent x in it, but that's just marketing.

• Like 4

I'm quite fond of sauces that start with a roux, because making the roux one of the very few things that still stick in my mind from the year, a long time ago, that my mother tried to teach me to cook. Another thing I remember that has stood me in surprisingly good stead is the admonition to "always check there's not something already in the oven before you turn it on to preheat".  You would be surprised at how many times I have found forgotten things reposing in the oven, just waiting to be turned into burnt offerings by an unwary chef!  :ohmy:

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 7

I don't make gravy, because we only ever eat it on roast meat, and that's one of my husband's things. Roast is a once a month or so epic. He takes hours to cook, and he makes the kitchen look like ground zero in the process*, and the gravy turns out slightly different each time because he couldn't possibly follow a set recipe [emoji38]

*I don't know whether this is a man thing, or whether it's just my man. But when I cook, I wash up and tidy as I go, whereas whenever he cooks, it takes me at least an hour to clean up afterwards. (I don't actually mind doing it, it's fair enough since he does twice as much cooking as I do, I'm just curious.)

My dh does this too. By the time he's done, he's used every pot and pan, there's grease splattered, spices all over the counter. I don't think I could make that mess if I tried.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't know these words. I don't want to know them. :leaving:

If you cook, a roux is a very good thing to know how to do. It's equal parts flour and butter (or other fat). Cook and stir constantly until it's a nice smooth paste (a couple of minutes). If you can make a good roux you can thicken soups and stews, gravies, sauces... it's very versatile and easy! Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I'm going to "cook" by going to the deli.  I do get whole food allergen free stuff.  More money but doesn't tax me and is still healthy.  I'm a gatherer. 

I did the same.

I have made homemade gravy a few times - a couple times successfully, and a couple times not.  But I didn't give it any fancy names.  And I started with drippings.   :lol:   ("They talked fancy to me!  I got confused!")

• Like 4

The only time I make roux now is when I make gumbo. It's a little challenging with white rice flour, but the last time I did it, it worked okay. 

The day was picture perfect for sitting quietly by a hole of water and watching the wind dust the river with golden leaves. And that's exactly what we did. The DH and I found a place where the river had dumped a quantity of fine sand, and we sat in our chairs with bare feet buried in cool sand, and watched the boys paddle around for a few hours.

We didn't see elk. Maybe next time. 

• Like 6

I don't make gravy, because we only ever eat it on roast meat, and that's one of my husband's things.  Roast is a once a month or so epic. He takes hours to cook, and he makes the kitchen look like ground zero in the process*, and the gravy turns out slightly different each time because he couldn't possibly follow a set recipe  :lol: 

Not just a man thing, that's how I tend to cook, too.  I might do some cleaning as I go, but largely my attention is on the food and not losing track of anything.

• Like 2

If you cook, a roux is a very good thing to know how to do. It's equal parts flour and butter (or other fat). Cook and stir constantly until it's a nice smooth paste (a couple of minutes). If you can make a good roux you can thicken soups and stews, gravies, sauces... it's very versatile and easy!

Okay, before any other overly detail-oriented ITTers ask:  "equal parts" is generally by volume, not by weight, and it's a general guideline (especially since a sifted volume of flour is a lot less than the same volume not sifted).  When making a roux a large part of it is going by feel and taste.  And experience from lots of flub-ups.

• Like 2

I heart chocolate.

I heart heart gravy. Don't eat it now, though. But I've never made it by a recipe.

I make tuna cakes. No olives, though. Or sweet potatoes. Blech!

I walked almost 15,000 steps today!

Then I had a meeting at work that I had forgotten about.

Great job getting in all those steps!

The only time I make roux now is when I make gumbo. It's a little challenging with white rice flour, but the last time I did it, it worked okay. 

The day was picture perfect for sitting quietly by a hole of water and watching the wind dust the river with golden leaves. And that's exactly what we did. The DH and I found a place where the river had dumped a quantity of fine sand, and we sat in our chairs with bare feet buried in cool sand, and watched the boys paddle around for a few hours.

We didn't see elk. Maybe next time. 

Sounds beautiful!

• Like 1