Menu

Ignore this thread!

My cat came home a little early this evening and yowled to be let in.  DD12 let her in, then immediately called for me -- my cat was limping and her front paw is all swollen.  Not much blood and she really didn't want us messing with her paw.  She has hobbled upstairs for bedtime early.  We'll see how she is tomorrow -- might be taking her to the vet.

Time for the girls and me to be getting ready for bed, too.  Good night, all!

• Like 1

Back to my safe space. The ITT.

It has been a day. I was playing for the church services today and dh was singing and had deacon duty and ds21 texted us to say he was at the ER. He'd been up all night with a racing heart and one of his roommates made him go to the ER. I love his roommate - she kept us updated all morning. Ds got an EKG and was fine and sent home, but has a follow-up appt. with a cardiologist tomorrow. We are fairly certain he was having a panic attack, mostly due to stress over school and life and all the things, and particularly this weird weakness/tingling he gets when he exerts himself or is excited or is under stress. I have instructed him to take his B vitamin complex and magnesium and we'll have him see his GP if he wants when he has fall break.

We just got back from an honest-to-goodness dinner party hosted by a cellist friend of mine. We all took turns playing string quartets and heckling each other. I was busy getting my cellist friend refills on her wine cup, as she said it helped improve her playing. :D Dh and I were the youngest people there, and with one exception, the only ones without grandchildren.

In the meantime, dd18 took the rest of the kids to the local library branch see Shakespeare in the Park, which was a wild hit with them. A Comedy of Errors set in the 1960's. I hope they will come back again next year.

I am tired and need to get a good night of sleep. Tomorrow begins preparation for The Great Yard Sale of 2016. I have commanded everyone to sleep in! :) (though not too late because of ortho appts at 9am.)

• Like 8

*I don't know whether this is a man thing, or whether it's just my man. But when I cook, I wash up and tidy as I go, whereas whenever he cooks, it takes me at least an hour to clean up afterwards. (I don't actually mind doing it, it's fair enough since he does twice as much cooking as I do, I'm just curious.)

Oh, no, definitely not a man thing. When I was young and married (before Mr. Ellie; yes, I am divorced, but it was so long ago it is as if it never happened. Except for stories like this.), we lived with another young couple in Hawai'i (because it was so expensive neither couple could afford their own place. But Hawai'i!!!). They had lived with another couple for several months but the other couple moved out and so we moved in. The previous division of labor had been that one person would cook and the other would clean, and of course I agreed to that in the beginning, because naive. I was the only one who didn't work (she worked at McDonald's, the dhs were in the Navy); when I cooked, I cleaned as I went along. She, OTOH, used every single pot and pan and spoon and surface. Perhaps it was that she zoomed home and cooked dinner, while I was home and had time to clean while I cooked. IDK. But the upshot was that when I cooked, all she had to do was put away the clean dishes in the rack, while I had to get in there with a hazmat suit. After a few weeks I suggested that whoever cooked should just go ahead and clean the kitchen. She had a cow. Who could blame her? She was getting off easy...I think we only lived together for a couple of months, then we all moved out for the last month we were in Hawai'i.

My mother did the same thing (touched every surface, used every utensil, did not clean until she finished cooking, then complained about how she hated cooking because of the clean-up. ::rolls eyes::).

Anyway, no, it is not  man thing. :hat:

• Like 5

I think next time I make turkey stock I will get DH or someone strong to break up the wings at the joints for me before I roast and submerge them.  I deliberately left out salt and pepper from my stock today so I could more easily use the stock as an ingredient in upcoming recipes, but the stock still seems rather thinner in taste than I was shooting for.  I have these choices now:

1. Freeze the stock as-is 
  2. Boil the stock down tomorrow before cooling it again and freezing it
  3. Go get more turkey parts and repeat the process, using the current stock as the liquid this time.

It took a lot of water to submerge the turkey wings, and that was with me folding them up as much as I could after roasting them (they kept unfolding).  Right now the stock is in the fridge cooling overnight so what fat is left can rise to the top and solidify for easy removal.

After roasting the wings I poured off the turkey fat in the pan and labeled and froze it to play with later.  I then deglazed the pan, scraping up as much stuff as I could, labeled that as "turkey drippings", and froze that to also play with later.  Perhaps if I had put the drippings/deglazing back into the stock it would have been more flavorful.

Plans for the stock:

• as an ingredient for stuffings
  • as a base for gravies
  • as a base for soups

I had been reading up on making gravies and most of the recipes for making gravy from stock call for adding in some fat with the thickener -- my thought was to use the turkey fat from the roasting pan, along with the drippings, to give gravy a bit more turkey flavor.  Having learned to make a good cornbread stuffing for one family member (now departed but fondly remembered) I guess I'm ready to start working out how to make a truly good gravy for another.  I have a new cooking challenge to snag my interest!

:hurray:

So, my grandmother, mother, and aunt all made the most wonderful brown gravy, but they did not teach me how to. :sad: I could see them do it in my mind's eye; turns out that what you see in your mind's eye does not always translate well into reality. o_0 So when I was first married, I tried making gravy with my friend chicken and only ended up with several cups of flour-y stuff that was definitely NOT good brown gravy.

And so I looked through a couple of cookbooks and found a recipe that started with...wait for it...a roux (although the book did not use that word). At first I had to measure all the ingredients (2 TBS of flour, 2 TBS of fat, 1 cup of liquid), but eventually I figured out what was going on. Now I make *excellent* brown gravy. :thumbup1: I also learned to make gravy using corn starch (or arrowroot) and water, and flour and water (for things like pot roast, where you can't separate the cooking liquids and the fat so you can make a roux).

They did the same thing with biscuits. I could *see* them make biscuits, but I couldn't figure it out (part of the problem was probably that we just don't want to eat biscuits very often). I finally found a recipe that had the right ratio (4 cups flour, 2 c buttermilk, 1 c Crisco; the recipe actually also had salt and baking soda and stuff, but in my family, we use self-rising flour), and so I've made biscuits a few times, just not enough to be able to eyeball the flour and know how much buttermilk and shortening to add. I was watching a cooking show one afternoon, and a very Southern Black woman showed the host how to make biscuits *just like these.* It was wonderful; I felt like I was watching my grandmother ("Put the flour in the bowl. Make sure it's self-rising. Make a well in the middle; put the shortening and buttermilk in the well, and mix with your hands. You have to use your hands...").

Anyway.

If I lived nearby, I'd come over and show you how to make that tasty brown gravy, just the way my grandmother, mother and aunt made it. :001_wub:

• Like 6

My cat came home a little early this evening and yowled to be let in.  DD12 let her in, then immediately called for me -- my cat was limping and her front paw is all swollen.  Not much blood and she really didn't want us messing with her paw.  She has hobbled upstairs for bedtime early.  We'll see how she is tomorrow -- might be taking her to the vet.

I hope the cat is on the mend by morning.

Our cat is in purgatory because he sneaked into the pantry (my fault, I forgot to latch the door properly and he has no trouble opening it), pulled out the sack of cat food, managed to tip it onto the floor and help himself to a liberal extra serving.

Edited by IsabelC
  • Like 4

Oh, no, definitely not a man thing. When I was young and married (before Mr. Ellie; yes, I am divorced, but it was so long ago it is as if it never happened. Except for stories like this.), we lived with another young couple in Hawai'i (because it was so expensive neither couple could afford their own place. But Hawai'i!!!). They had lived with another couple for several months but the other couple moved out and so we moved in. The previous division of labor had been that one person would cook and the other would clean, and of course I agreed to that in the beginning, because naive. I was the only one who didn't work (she worked at McDonald's, the dhs were in the Navy); when I cooked, I cleaned as I went along. She, OTOH, used every single pot and pan and spoon and surface. Perhaps it was that she zoomed home and cooked dinner, while I was home and had time to clean while I cooked. IDK. But the upshot was that when I cooked, all she had to do was put away the clean dishes in the rack, while I had to get in there with a hazmat suit. After a few weeks I suggested that whoever cooked should just go ahead and clean the kitchen. She had a cow. Who could blame her? She was getting off easy...I think we only lived together for a couple of months, then we all moved out for the last month we were in Hawai'i.

My mother did the same thing (touched every surface, used every utensil, did not clean until she finished cooking, then complained about how she hated cooking because of the clean-up. ::rolls eyes: :).

Anyway, no, it is not  man thing. :hat:

Evidently not!  In fact your house mate sounds worse than my husband.

• Like 1

It has been a day. I was playing for the church services today and dh was singing and had deacon duty and ds21 texted us to say he was at the ER. He'd been up all night with a racing heart and one of his roommates made him go to the ER. I love his roommate - she kept us updated all morning. Ds got an EKG and was fine and sent home, but has a follow-up appt. with a cardiologist tomorrow. We are fairly certain he was having a panic attack, mostly due to stress over school and life and all the things, and particularly this weird weakness/tingling he gets when he exerts himself or is excited or is under stress. I have instructed him to take his B vitamin complex and magnesium and we'll have him see his GP if he wants when he has fall break.

We just got back from an honest-to-goodness dinner party hosted by a cellist friend of mine. We all took turns playing string quartets and heckling each other. I was busy getting my cellist friend refills on her wine cup, as she said it helped improve her playing. :D Dh and I were the youngest people there, and with one exception, the only ones without grandchildren.

In the meantime, dd18 took the rest of the kids to the local library branch see Shakespeare in the Park, which was a wild hit with them. A Comedy of Errors set in the 1960's. I hope they will come back again next year.

I am tired and need to get a good night of sleep. Tomorrow begins preparation for The Great Yard Sale of 2016. I have commanded everyone to sleep in! :) (though not too late because of ortho appts at 9am.)

Glad Mr. 21 seems to be OK.  (And don't forget that panic attacks are hugely more common than heart attacks at that age!)

• Like 4

I am glad your son is okay so far and pray he continues to be so.  I am thankful he has such a good roommate.  I hope it proves to be exactly as you suspect, and the cardiologist has nothing but good news to report.  

That party sounds like a blast!  I wish I knew people who threw parties like that -- I love to hear string quartets, especially when they are jammin'.

The play sounds great, too -- if the library hosted be sure to have the kids tell the library how much they enjoyed the show.  Libraries like to hear their efforts are appreciated, especially from kids.

Good luck on the yard sale!  I hope you have good weather, good browsers & purchasers, and recover enough funds to have made it worthwhile.

And wishing you nothing but good news at the ortho appts.

• Like 5

:hurray:

So, my grandmother, mother, and aunt all made the most wonderful brown gravy, but they did not teach me how to. :sad: I could see them do it in my mind's eye; turns out that what you see in your mind's eye does not always translate well into reality. o_0 So when I was first married, I tried making gravy with my friend chicken and only ended up with several cups of flour-y stuff that was definitely NOT good brown gravy.

And so I looked through a couple of cookbooks and found a recipe that started with...wait for it...a roux (although the book did not use that word). At first I had to measure all the ingredients (2 TBS of flour, 2 TBS of fat, 1 cup of liquid), but eventually I figured out what was going on. Now I make *excellent* brown gravy. :thumbup1: I also learned to make gravy using corn starch (or arrowroot) and water, and flour and water (for things like pot roast, where you can't separate the cooking liquids and the fat so you can make a roux).

They did the same thing with biscuits. I could *see* them make biscuits, but I couldn't figure it out (part of the problem was probably that we just don't want to eat biscuits very often). I finally found a recipe that had the right ratio (4 cups flour, 2 c buttermilk, 1 c Crisco; the recipe actually also had salt and baking soda and stuff, but in my family, we use self-rising flour), and so I've made biscuits a few times, just not enough to be able to eyeball the flour and know how much buttermilk and shortening to add. I was watching a cooking show one afternoon, and a very Southern Black woman showed the host how to make biscuits *just like these.* It was wonderful; I felt like I was watching my grandmother ("Put the flour in the bowl. Make sure it's self-rising. Make a well in the middle; put the shortening and buttermilk in the well, and mix with your hands. You have to use your hands...").

Anyway.

If I lived nearby, I'd come over and show you how to make that tasty brown gravy, just the way my grandmother, mother and aunt made it. :001_wub:

As NaNoWriMo approaches again I find myself mostly food-focused again this year, so I suspect my writing in November will be all about food and family again.  I hadn't finished last year's writing project (I reached my 50K word goal and ran out of time before I finished and never got back to it) so I might start by finishing that, and then I'll likely branch out.  Last year was all about one particular cookbook, annotated by my Mom's mom and given to Mom when she was leaving home as a young adult.  This year I will likely spread further into Mom's recipe file (and the social convention of keeping one) and perhaps my recipes from my other grandmother and memories of her cooking.

My maternal grandmother died when I was age 5, so I don't recall much of her beyond a vague impression, and photos and stories shared by Mom and Grandpa.  Through Mom's cookbook I do have something of Grandma, though, and in boxes upstairs I have more -- family genealogy stuff Grandma started and Mom continued.

My paternal grandmother died when I was  a young adult, and I remember a lot about her.  The memories of her actually cooking (especially baking -- she loved to bake) are fuzzier because her heart gave her too much trouble to continue that by the time I was a teen, but she still liked to talk about fixing food.  She rejoiced when I told her my boss at the guest ranch I worked at in my late teens had taught me how to make bread from scratch -- that was something she had promised to teach me as soon as I was big enough to knead the dough, but by the time I was big enough she couldn't handle the task.

Going through what I have of their recipes helps bring back the memories of my Mom and Grandmas cooking.  There are a lot of gaps, but making a study of the cookbook and recipes, along with studying other people's cookbooks, recipes, and recipe collections helps my imagination fill in some of those gaps and adds life (and no small amount of comprehension and understanding of things that were completely over my head as a child) to those memories.  This also branches out into a study of the times in which they lived, grew, and raised families, which also included some small explorations into the architecture of the houses -- bungalows and farm houses.

It is this inclination, I think, as much as personal interest and enjoyment that has me studying how to create various foodstuffs.  Having someone real and present to try to make something for helps me focus and feels a lot more rewarding than just picking something to learn that only I will enjoy.  Food is so inextricably intertwined with people, for me.  

A few years ago my SIL's father spoke wistfully and yearningly about the cornbread stuffing his mother would make and how his ex-wife refused to make it after the first few years of their marriage.  He had no recipe to share with me, no knowledge of how such stuffing was made, but he described it for me and I gave it a shot.  At my request he then gave me a very honest critique of my first attempt and remembered another ingredient his mother used, and so the next couple of attempts were a lot better.  The expression on his face when I got it right was amazing -- it was as if the young boy was shining through.  He's gone now, passed away a couple of years ago, but I still make the cornbread stuffing.  It has become tradition for me.

MIL makes quite a good gravy when she has actual pan drippings to work with, but the family has turned to frying and smoking turkeys as a way to make more oven space available at Thanksgiving.  Without pan drippings to make gravy MIL has been turning to jarred gravy, which is passable enough (and less work, always something MIL encourages at big gatherings), and SIL makes her packet of white gravy.  BIL, however, really misses the homemade turkey gravy, and speaks wistfully (when SIL isn't in earshot) of it.  Therefore I am attempting to not only improve my gravy-making abilities, I'm trying to figure out how to get it right when making it entirely "from scratch" with no warm pan drippings.

It kinda makes me wonder which family member will wax eloquent about what food from yore next year!

• Like 6

I hope the cat is on the mend by morning.

Our cat is in purgatory because he sneaked into the pantry (my fault, I forgot to latch the door properly and he has no trouble opening it), pulled out the sack of cat food, managed to tip it onto the floor and help himself to a liberal extra serving.

Because of this sort of behavior and a love of "fresh" cat food over "stale" cat food I buy my cat food in 6-lb bags and store the chow in a Rubbermaid cereal bin.  The bin is big enough to hold a bag of cat food and the cat hasn't figured out how to open the bin.  If a bag of cat food is left where the cat can get at it she will rip open a hole so she can get fresh cat food herself, even if there's food in her dish.  Apparently food that has been out for more than 5 minutes is "stale".

She made it upstairs on her own last night.  I moved her bedding from the foot of DD's bed to the floor, and she settle down and started washing her foot.  Sometime during the night she moved to the glider rocker, which is a good sign.  She has made it out of the rocker and down the stairs by herself, though her foot is still swollen and she's still favoring it heavily.  Once the vet opens I'll call over and get her in as soon as I can.  I will miss today's personal training, if need be, because she is clearly in pain (though improving -- I have told her several times now that she does not get to go outside until after she's seen by the vet).

• Like 3

I just posted a thread on the Chat board.  Rough Collie's husband just had another stroke.  They are following the ambulance to the hospital. 

Oh no!  Hugs and prayers for all of them.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Oh, Good Morning!

It's going to be one of those days where I'm running to catch up with myself.  I didn't sleep well, so I'm not sure how successful this day is going to be.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Energy hugs, to help you get through the day.

Good Morning! Thanks for the hugs. :)

Coffee!

Congratulations to those who filed their FAFSAs. I don't think I'll get to it today. I have a kitchen full of dirty dishes that need tending to.

When are we supposed to fill out the FAFSA?

you can fill it out starting now. I think ds's university has given a January or February deadline for receiving the information from FAFSA.

Booyah!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 6

Coffee!

Congratulations to those who filed their FAFSAs. I don't think I'll get to it today. I have a kitchen full of dirty dishes that need tending to.

you can fill it out starting now. I think ds's university has given a January or February deadline for receiving the information from FAFSA.

Booyah!

Senior high school year, right?  FAFSA gets filled out in the school year preceding the school year in which the college studies commence?  (Not earlier, right?)

• Like 3

I'm going to "cook" by going to the deli.  I do get whole food allergen free stuff.  More money but doesn't tax me and is still healthy.  I'm a gatherer. 

Ooooo! How primal!  How terribly au courant!  Jean is a trend-setter!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I did the FAFSA and got it sent in. 

fingers-in-the-ears-smiley-emoticon.gif  (but congratulations anyway.)

Oh, and my cats free-feed.  And the inside kitty just demands whatever extras she wants.  I am obviously a very well-trained human.

• Like 6

Coffee!

Booyah!

Sorry, my question wasn't clear.  What year do we fill out the FAFSA?

• Like 2

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. What year do we fill out the FAFSA?

Yes, the year before your child will go to college, and every year after that forever and amen, :D If you have someone submitting college applications, the when they are accepted, the college will use the FAFSA information to determine their financial aid offer.

• Like 4

Dilemma:  I must go take care of ponies, but it is too dark to see the poop to scoop.  Because dentist at 8:30 (poor kid-haven't even told her yet.)

This is the time of year when I long for Standard Time.  November 6th seems awfully late, if you ask me.

It is, but they moved it to after Halloween so there would be a little more evening daylight hours for working parents who want to take their young children trick-or-treating while it is still light.  I'd like DST to end earlier in the year, too (more morning daylight hours, less sun-in-drivers'-eyes-during-morning-commute), but I do acknowledge the advantages of commuters getting home during daylight on Halloween.  Our neighborhood has no sidewalks and lots of trees, so kids in the dark can be hard to see, especially when they come dashing out from everywhere.

Personally I think DST should end in early October at the latest, and Halloween should be declared a national and work holiday.  That fixes the issues on both sides!

• Like 5

Yes, the year before your child will go to college, and every year after that forever and amen, :D If you have someone submitting college applications, the when they are accepted, the college will use the FAFSA information to determine their financial aid offer.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I think I'm in for one of those days in which I feel about thirty minutes behind. all. day. long.  I hate those kind of days, and I really don't like them to occur on Monday if I can arrange it. 

I don't know what I'm doing for NaNoWriMo this year. I'll probably be a rebel this year and keep working on the revision of my novel. But I might split time between revision and a new project. I haven't decided yet.

• Like 6

So maybe we need to fill out the FAFSA?  We don't know when ds16 is graduating yet.  We're delaying his graduation on purpose because he didn't want to be 15 (almost 16) when he started college.  If we had worked hard, he could have started college this semester.  He will probably graduate in December 2017 or maybe as late as June 2018.

And there are 5 after him.  So Susan is right -- every year, forever amen.  Kind of like the PSAT.  I require my kids to take it twice;  the kids are all two years apart.  So every year until 2025.   :svengo:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

I want to reread The Hobbit.

I read it for the first time when I was 19 or 20, followed by LOTR. I have read them now over 30 times. Hence my consternation and great disappointment when the movies came out and so.many.changes had been made to the story. :crying:

I am currently in Harry Potter mode. 

That is all.

• Like 7

I read it for the first time when I was 19 or 20, followed by LOTR. I have read them now over 30 times. Hence my consternation and great disappointment when the movies came out and so.many.changes had been made to the story. :crying:

I am currently in Harry Potter mode. 

That is all.

Your Majesty, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think that I may have your secret grandchild here.

• Like 6