Menu

Ignore this thread!

I think you told us what you're planning and I have forgotten.....  

I don't think I have posted about it because in order to do so I'll have to look everything up...  ;)

I divided American History into 2 years.  Ds15 did the 2nd part first, but he loves history and it didn't bother him.

Part 1 is basically Explorers to 1899.  I am using the Hakim books as a spine, but we are supplementing with biographies and reproducibles that I had collected.  (If you want, I'll look them up and post links.)  This class is not going as well as I had hoped.  This is my first year teaching all six of my kids, plus so.many.migraines...

Part 2 is the Twentieth Century.  This was really fun!  (Dd13 will do this class next year.)  We took 10 months, more or less, studying one decade per month.

We started out using this, but it really isn't high school level.  It was still a nice overview, though, and I plan to continue using it.  This series is at our library and is really good (although there were some language issues).  We also watched movies (Iron Will, Rebel without a Cause, Mr. Holland's Opus...) and listened to some music.  (We don't listen to secular music, but I think that knowing about the Beetles, Michael Jackson, etc. is important from a historical standpoint.)  I had ds15 choose some biographies and other books on specific topics (WWI was particularly interesting for him.).

We really like the Signature Lives biography series.

Ds15 also did American Lit during the 20th century year, so I tried to put things like To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. in the correct month.

Lynn (or anyone), let me know if you want more complete lists.  The 20th Century class was particularly fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.  I have a feeling, though, that dd13's choices of what she wants to focus on are going to be much different than her brother's.  

• Like 2

Lynn and other parents who have survived parenting 14yo.  Any advice?  Things I have repeated over and over and over have fallen out of his brain. Serious things. He is a good, sweet kid but the complete mindlessness of his decision making leaves me stunned.

:grouphug: Really all that helps is time and patience. 

• Like 5

Light bulbs, agreed.

Between his piano and my Spanish we can afford to be poor. :laugh:

This is why my kids play stringed instruments. I can teach them myself, at least until they get to the point of making it worth spending money on teachers. Really, it's why we do music instead of sports. Sports are foreign to dh and I. I feel bad about it sometimes because I do see their value, but I just don't have the time, money, or brain power to invest in both. Their sports will have to come from neighborhood games. :)

• Like 2

Lynn and other parents who have survived parenting 14yo.  Any advice?  Things I have repeated over and over and over have fallen out of his brain. Serious things. He is a good, sweet kid but the complete mindlessness of his decision making leaves me stunned.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  15 is not much better, ime.   :grouphug:

• Like 1

So, at some point I need to decide if I want textbook coverage, or do I want to pick major events and people and go more in depth?

This has been the thorn in my side for about 3 years now. I love history. I study history in depth. But my kids... meh. They could care less. They didn't get in to SOTW. We have struggled and struggled with history. My second son has gone through 2 years of A Beka History just because it was cheap and I didn't know what else to do. A Beka is so boring I was clawing my eyes out doing it, but... it does provide historical literacy and they are actually pretty good with geography. And he actually didn't mind it. Dd did A Beka's 4th grade history, plus state history this year. She hated A Beka. This year I'm going to start MoH with my girls. Since I don't know what we're doing long term with DS (he's starting 7th grade, we may put him in Christian school for high school, or we may not) I don't know whether to start him again on the 4 year history cycle, which I would do if we were going to keep him home for high school, then, his jr, and sr. years in high school we'd maybe do a govt./civics course one year and an economics course another year. I like that plan. If he goes to b&m school I am more inclined to do a world history overview for 7th and govt, for 8th. I'm hoping to finger some textbooks at Convention in a couple weeks.
  • Like 1

And in Literature News:

I have been trying to read Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  After a month, I am only about 100 pages in.  I have decided that I just.don't.care. who ends up with whom.

ETA:  I have also decided that I love dd13 too much to require her to read this next year.  She can watch the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma (as her brother did) and it will be good enough.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

And in Literature News:

I have been trying to read Austen's Pride and Prejudice.  After a month, I am only about 100 pages in.  I have decided that I just.don't.care. who ends up with whom.

That's fine, gentle reader. 1,500 words due tomorrow on why you just don't care who ends up with whom. :D

• Like 3

I went swimming in the treacherous sea with no water wings.  I need Rocco to fan my fevered brow and bring me fruity drinks with little umbrellas.  And I need funny Youtube videos of kitties and puppies. 

If it is the thread I'm thinking of, I think your swimming looked just fine to me.

ETA: It's a Jean can swim in the sea, Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

And in Literature News:

ETA:  I have also decided that I love dd13 too much to require her to read this next year.  She can watch the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma (as her brother did) and it will be good enough.

Nooooooo!!! 

Must watch the Colin Firth mini series. The lake scene, people. It's practically canon.

And Mr. Collins in that one SO SO SO over the top awful... 

• Like 4

Oh, Junie, Junie! No,no,no! Take a week and watch the Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and have tea and crumpets the whole time. And there's a great Emma that Masterpiece Theater did that is much, much better than Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma. My boys love it. Seriously. They would beg to watch it. 

• Like 3

And in Literature News:

I have been trying to read Austen's Pride and Prejudice. After a month, I am only about 100 pages in. I have decided that I just.don't.care. who ends up with whom.

ETA: I have also decided that I love dd13 too much to require her to read this next year. She can watch the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma (as her brother did) and it will be good enough.

I gave up on Jane Austin years ago. The witty dialogue bores me to tears. I'm a plot person. I want action. I don't care what people have to say to each other.

Re: Austen. I struggled to read her books, though I have actually finished several due to being involved in a book club that loves Austen. They became more tolerable when it was suggested that I pay close attention to how each character treats the people they come into contact with.

Re: Teenaged boys. I have a cousin with 5 (now grown) boys and she always said they become fairly intolerable around age 13 or 14, but just hang in there and you will be surprised at the wonderful young man that appears in 4 or 5 years. Keep your eyes on the prize. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. (((Moms of Teen Boys)))

• Like 3

:grouphug:   I'll third or fourth the recommendation for time and patience.  My motto the last couple years has been "Let go, let go, let go" because I needed to.  That may not be your situation though.  ETA:  His kindness and responsibility the last couple months have been amazing.    

I don't think I have posted about it because in order to do so I'll have to look everything up...   ;)

I divided American History into 2 years.  Ds15 did the 2nd part first, but he loves history and it didn't bother him.

Part 1 is basically Explorers to 1899.  I am using the Hakim books as a spine, but we are supplementing with biographies and reproducibles that I had collected.  (If you want, I'll look them up and post links.)  This class is not going as well as I had hoped.  This is my first year teaching all six of my kids, plus so.many.migraines...

Part 2 is the Twentieth Century.  This was really fun!  (Dd13 will do this class next year.)  We took 10 months, more or less, studying one decade per month.

We started out using this, but it really isn't high school level.  It was still a nice overview, though, and I plan to continue using it.  This series is at our library and is really good (although there were some language issues).  We also watched movies (Iron Will, Rebel without a Cause, Mr. Holland's Opus...) and listened to some music.  (We don't listen to secular music, but I think that knowing about the Beetles, Michael Jackson, etc. is important from a historical standpoint.)  I had ds15 choose some biographies and other books on specific topics (WWI was particularly interesting for him.).

We really like the Signature Lives biography series.

Ds15 also did American Lit during the 20th century year, so I tried to put things like To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. in the correct month.

Lynn (or anyone), let me know if you want more complete lists.  The 20th Century class was particularly fun and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.  I have a feeling, though, that dd13's choices of what she wants to focus on are going to be much different than her brother's.  

Sounds good.  I won't trouble you for the full list at this point.  I don't want to use Hakim as a spine.  But I will probably check out one of her books for a hole I can't fill (if I go spineless) (Jacksonian Democracy) and see how she covers it.  I like your "by decade" idea.  There's a similar "by decade" series for the 20th century that TOG uses parts of in its Year 4 that our library has.     

And in Literature News:

:svengo:

I gave up on Jane Austin years ago. The witty dialogue bores me to tears. I'm a plot person. I want action. I don't care what people have to say to each other.

:svengo:

I just talked to my 91 year old mom.  She told me about a recent Dr. Phil episode in minute detail.  :svengo: She said "I don't know why people watch that stuff!"  :ohmy:   I pointed out that she was watching that stuff.  :lol: She said that she didn't understand why she did that either! 

:laugh:

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

Nooooooo!!! 

Must watch the Colin Firth mini series. The lake scene, people. It's practically canon.

And Mr. Collins in that one SO SO SO over the top awful... 

Oh, Junie, Junie! No,no,no! Take a week and watch the Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and have tea and crumpets the whole time. And there's a great Emma that Masterpiece Theater did that is much, much better than Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma. My boys love it. Seriously. They would beg to watch it. 

I just checked and my library has the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice dvd.  And the Masterpiece Theater Emma.  (Although I did like the one we watched.)  And I'm planning a trip to the library tonight.  The stars have aligned.   :D

• Like 6

Round 1 of it running has been completed. Dr. forgot to sign one of mom's prescriptions, and I had to take it in for a signature. Then I dropped it at the pharmacy only to be told they are out of that med, and it won't be in until tommorow. :(

Round 2 of running is just now completed. My debit card was compromised, and I had to fill out fraud papers at the bank. I picked up supper while I was out so no cooking. Yay!

The first day of my homeschool conference is tomorrow. I am attending a cursive workshop. It starts at noon. So I don't have to leave really early. I will have to leave Thursday and Friday morning at 6 a.m to get there at 7:45 a.m.

Mom had a kinda bad breathing episode this morning, but we were able to manage it at home fine. I hope all this goes o.k. over the next few days. I hope I'm able to relax and enjoy it.

• Like 8

I just checked and my library has the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice dvd.  And the Masterpiece Theater Emma.  (Although I did like the one we watched.)  And I'm planning a trip to the library tonight.  The stars have aligned.   :D

Oh the Masterpiece Emma with Jonny Lee Miller??? That's also very yum. :D

• Like 4

Round 1 of it running has been completed. Dr. forgot to sign one of mom's prescriptions, and I had to take it in for a signature. Then I dropped it at the pharmacy only to be told they are out of that med, and it won't be in until tommorow. :(

Round 2 of running is just now completed. My debit card was compromised, and I had to fill out fraud papers at the bank. I picked up supper while I was out so no cooking. Yay!

The first day of my homeschool conference is tomorrow. I am attending a cursive workshop. It starts at noon. So I don't have to leave really early. I will have to leave Thursday and Friday morning at 6 a.m to get there at 7:45 a.m.

Mom had a kinda bad breathing episode this morning, but we were able to manage it at home fine. I hope all this goes o.k. over the next few days. I hope I'm able to relax and enjoy it.

Dawn, I hope you have a super fun fantastic time!!!!!

• Like 2

I have managed to write between trying to deal with the air conditioner repair business and everybody and their neighbor calling me this morning! :cursing: Imma have lunch now and then I'm yanking the cord on the home phone and hiding my cell under my pillow. So there.

I haven't had a home phone in over a decade. My son has never lived in a house with a landline.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I haven't had a home phone in over a decade. My son has never lived in a house with a landline. 

I live in a hole on top of a mountain. My cell phone will not work in my hole. I can get a text out. To send a picture I must assume the Statue of Liberty pose on the front step, and stick my tongue out and stand on one leg. Hard to do at the same time.

I am back from writer's meeting. We feasted on blueberry muffins like hyenas around a kill. It was maulsome.

• Like 7