Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ok, I survived the Family Reunion. Today was our day to do the food. It all went well. It a hot again, but I stayed in the shade. I have a ton of pizza leftover, so if ya'll want to come over, I'd be happy to serve your pizza. It all went well. Better than I expected, being a person with slight social anxiety. But my cousins and aunts and uncles are all very kind and friendly people. Now, I am going to finish cleaning up my kitchen,take a shower and crash!

• Like 7

Someone at church today told me she thinks that my poor healing is God's way of telling me not to have any more children. It's been bothering me all day. Would that bother you?

It wouldn't bother me because I'd figure she has no idea what she's talking about. Then again, it would bother me because I'd wonder what other kind of crazy stuff she's telling others.

Many times poor healing is due to poor care from one's providers after surgery. Which is your case. 

• Like 6

Slache, it would bother me because she is not God the Holy Spirit and has no insight into what God might want regarding your family size. I think that is between you and Matt and God. In our case, we did take my health into account but it was only one thing we considered when making the decision.

Yes, my cesareans have always come into play with whether or not we could have another. With Mary and Alex I picked a doctor I trusted and said that if my uterus was trashed to tie my tubes. This last time he said my uterus looked fantastic so we're good. She said that she had been praying about it and that was the conclusion she had come to. She's about 89 so I just smiled and nodded.

Eta: Not 89 like your mother is 91. This woman is very frail and sadly losing her mind. It's heartbreaking.

It's a crazy old lady Booya!

Edited by Slache
  • Like 3

I'm also surprised we're already getting the big family comments. We got a lot of "One boy, one girl. Now you're done, right?" comments when Mary was born, but we got *so many* when I got pregnant. Everyone knew we wanted more. It shouldn't have been a shock. I know, we're poor. We should be ashamed, but we're not. Our kids are healthy and eat well so I don't think that should be a factor. I just never thought 3 was a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. 5 is a lot. Anything over 9 would be too hard for me, I think. Now I'm rambling. I hear a lot of comments made to those with one. "When are you going to have another?" "Isn't he lonely?" I guess everyone is supposed to have two.

Okay. How many kids do you have and do you get comments?

• Like 2

Slashie, just blow her off. Some people are just rude. Family size is nobody else's business.

I have five kids and yes, we get some comments. Although with us, it's more adoption comments that I find completely annoying. I just smile and wish I had a snappy comeback and that I had the nerve to deliver a snappy come back.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

I've always wanted 4-5 kids. I get comments about how far in age my girls are. A side comment about "secondary infertility" shuts them up pretty quick. Otherwise, I'd get roundabout comments about how we must not have enough teA. Because people have no filter and think they can be all up in yo biz when it comes to sex and family size.

Ok. I'm going to bed now.

• Like 5

I have the "perfect" family - one boy and one girl.  (You know that I don't really believe that - that's just according to others).  I was told that I couldn't have any kids though so getting pregnant at all was a miracle and getting pregnant a second time was an extra miracle. (The doctor actually wasn't happy when I got pregnant but I told her that we would deal with any health difficulties and we did.)   I got a LOT of comments when we had no kids.  Even finally telling people that I couldn't have kids did not shut them up, which really left me gobsmacked. 

• Like 4

I have the "perfect" family - one boy and one girl. (You know that I don't really believe that - that's just according to others). I was told that I couldn't have any kids though so getting pregnant at all was a miracle and getting pregnant a second time was an extra miracle. (The doctor actually wasn't happy when I got pregnant but I told her that we would deal with any health difficulties and we did.) I got a LOT of comments when we had no kids. Even finally telling people that I couldn't have kids did not shut them up, which really left me gobsmacked.

God is good. :)

• Like 5

I'm also surprised we're already getting the big family comments. We got a lot of "One boy, one girl. Now you're done, right?" comments when Mary was born, but we got *so many* when I got pregnant. Everyone knew we wanted more. It shouldn't have been a shock. I know, we're poor. We should be ashamed, but we're not. Our kids are healthy and eat well so I don't think that should be a factor. I just never thought 3 was a lot. Maybe I'm wrong. 5 is a lot. Anything over 9 would be too hard for me, I think. Now I'm rambling. I hear a lot of comments made to those with one. "When are you going to have another?" "Isn't he lonely?" I guess everyone is supposed to have two.

Okay. How many kids do you have and do you get comments?

Yes it would bother me and I would stew over it for a while. I am a stewer. In fact, I'm stewing right now (over something else, but I am happy to stew on your behalf as long as I'm at it.)

My MIL always warned us "not to wait too long" to have kids because then we might only be able to have one. But then when #5 was announced, she got "rather worried". I mean, we didn't have a full time nanny or housekeeper or anything that would make life work with that many kids. Plus I was getting so old. :D

People from church never thought twice about it because at the time there were two families with 9 kids, and the average was 4-6.

• Like 4

Yes it would bother me and I would stew over it for a while. I am a stewer. In fact, I'm stewing right now (over something else, but I am happy to stew on your behalf as long as I'm at it.)

My MIL always warned us "not to wait too long" to have kids because then we might only be able to have one. But then when #5 was announced, she got "rather worried". I mean, we didn't have a full time nanny or housekeeper or anything that would make life work with that many kids. Plus I was getting so old. :D

People from church never thought twice about it because at the time there were two families with 9 kids, and the average was 4-6.

My MIL can't make up her mind either. First it was "Isn't it time for another?" then it was "Another!" and now it's "You can't wait that long for another!"

• Like 2

I try to balance setting boundaries with taking people's motivations into consideration. Many people do have kind intentions when making these remarks. So I keep that in mind. But at the same time, it isn't their place to make these comments and if they persist after one attempt to brush them off, I will tell that they are being rude, politely but firmly. I just pretend that I'm having to tell my aspie about socially appropriate behavior and I coach them the same way. ;)

I had one man who was very intrusive about when we were going to have a third. So I asked him when he was going to have a third. I pointed out that just as it made him uncomfortable to handle my question on the matter, it made me uncomfortable as well. It did shut him up for the moment but unfortunately this man (a relative of my dh's) has trouble being socially appropriate so there is always something. . .

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 6

I think you get to a certain number and people aren't surprised by what you do anymore.   :laugh:

A major factor for me in considering family size was how much I suffered during pregnancy and how much that effected every.thing.else.  I know it's a relatively short season compared to a life, but .....  that's probably all I want to say publicly.  

Like Susan, I would have stewed awhile over the comment before I reached a conclusion.  

• Like 6

I used to hear comments about family size.  Now I'm so busy taking care of my kids that if people make comments, I'm too busy to listen to them.  :)

Dh and I decided before we were married that we would not do anything to prevent/increase chances of pregnancy.  The babies would just come when God sent them.

After Baby #4 I started to hear comments because I was diagnosed with RA.  Probably valid comments if they had come from close friends/family.  Not valid as they came from people I didn't know well.

At one point, a rheumatologist wanted to put me on meds that would require me to not have more children.  I told him no, as I didn't know if we would have more children and I wasn't going on birth control just so I could take an arthritis med that may/may not help me.  He asked me, "Can't you just be happy with the children you have?"  I don't remember what answer I gave him, but I was  :mad: .

• Like 7

When my neighbor (who just gave birth to number 8) was standing in line at the grocery store with all of her children, the man behind her in line started questioning her.  Are they all yours?  etc.

He asked, "How are you going to pay for college?"  She immediately shot back, "Are you offering to help!?"  Zing!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 8

Good morning. I did not have to interrupt my sleep to get Dh or ds off to work so there is no need for second sleep today.

I wonder though, what effect stressful dreams have on the body. Is it the same as stress when you are awake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know for sure, but I think the stress would be the same. I have woken from dreams/nightmares crying before. It was stressful.

• Like 3

Happy 4th!

Happy birthday!

Happy coffee!

We're having goetta, eggs and smoothies and I'm not going to throw up *any* of it!

We don't intend to pay for college. Not that we won't but it's not a definite. I don't think college is a necessity for every person and in most cases I feel it's appropriate for the student to pay for themselves. I imagine many board members would consider me a terrible, unloving mother for that.

• Like 4

Happy 4th!

Happy birthday!

Happy coffee!

We're having goetta, eggs and smoothies and I'm not going to throw up *any* of it!

We don't intend to pay for college. Not that we won't but it's not a definite. I don't think college is a necessity for every person and in most cases I feel it's appropriate for the student to pay for themselves. I imagine many board members would consider me a terrible, unloving mother for that.

What is goetta? 

• Like 2

Happy Independence Day!!

Dh read the entire Declaration of Independence at breakfast. He got started and then realized it was much longer than he expected. :D At least there were pancakes.

Happy birthday, Lynn's dd!!

Happy birthday, Libby the Disabled Wonder Dog!

The baseball bat boy came over to play this morning and I sent him home. I think we probably have one of those tomato staking situations where either I or another reliable adult will have to supervise all play between the two brothers and my girls.

I have to make potato salad (cooked the eggs and potatoes last night). After lunch we are going to the Escspe Game thing that we got ds for his birthday. If the weather holds out, we'll go park in the parking lot of a nearby church to watch fireworks tonight.

• Like 4

Good Morning, all! Happy Independence Day!

Yay for Mr. Susan for reading the entire Declaration of Independence. That is wonderful! And potato salad is one of my favorites. If it's done right.

Happy Birthday, Lynn's dd.

Happy Birthday, Libby!

Critter, sorry about the dreams. I hate nights like those.

Today is going to be a recovery day! The kids had a lot of sun and swimming and excitement this weekend, so we're all just kind of laying around. Except dh. He never lays around. He was up early rotating the tires on my car and he's going to go to Lowes and get me a small refridgerator for the garage to handle the fruit overflow. We've needed one for years. And today I'm going to work at some decluttering and cleaning up. I don't have time for a full-blown Kon Mari, but I'll get a little done. And tonight we're going to an Independence Day Party. More socializing. But, it'll be nice.

• Like 6

The baseball bat boy came over to play this morning and I sent him home. I think we probably have one of those tomato staking situations where either I or another reliable adult will have to supervise all play between the two brothers and my girls.

I've had to do that at various times with the neighbor kids.  It's one of those pain-in-the-you-know-what good parenting things. 

• Like 1