Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dh passed his flu to me and DS.  :cursing:  So now he's on my $hit list.  There hasn't been anyone on my list for a loooooong time.   But now there's his name, all alone at the top of the list. I was all feeling sorry for him that he was sick, and then WHAM!  :smash:

I'm leaving work early today.  Because sick. :(

• Like 4

I was reading the mid life crisis thread & I posted once but can't write anymore because it would be, I don't know.. wrong. 

I love my life. I love homeschooling, even though many days and months it's super hard & I worry that I'm doing things right, but still I love it; I'm sad about it ending but also super excited about the next years. I feel like there are so many fun, great opportunities ahead for all of us.  

What's funny is that I don't think of myself as an optimistic cheery person. IRL I'm cynical, sarcastic and we do a lot of black humor & I can find the flaw in any plan & point out the worst case scenario. BUT we laugh about it and move on. 

I hope the midlife misery people are describing is not just lurking ahead to whack me on the head & kick me on the behind with a quick one,two just when I'm least expecting it....  I've made a conscious effort in the last 5-10 years to always know I'm making a choice, that I can always choose something else, and to every day be happy with the choices I'm making, to meditate, to take time to be grateful. I wonder if it's paying off & whether it will continue. I guess we'll see. 

• Like 8

I was reading the mid life crisis thread & I posted once but can't write anymore because it would be, I don't know.. wrong. 

I love my life. I love homeschooling, even though many days and months it's super hard & I worry that I'm doing things right, but still I love it; I'm sad about it ending but also super excited about the next years. I feel like there are so many fun, great opportunities ahead for all of us.  

What's funny is that I don't think of myself as an optimistic cheery person. IRL I'm cynical, sarcastic and we do a lot of black humor & I can find the flaw in any plan & point out the worst case scenario. BUT we laugh about it and move on. 

I hope the midlife misery people are describing is not just lurking ahead to whack me on the head & kick me on the behind with a quick one,two just when I'm least expecting it....  I've made a conscious effort in the last 5-10 years to always know I'm making a choice, that I can always choose something else, and to every day be happy with the choices I'm making, to meditate, to take time to be grateful. I wonder if it's paying off & whether it will continue. I guess we'll see. 

:iagree:

• Like 3

I hope the midlife misery people are describing is not just lurking ahead to whack me on the head & kick me on the behind with a quick one,two just when I'm least expecting it.... I've made a conscious effort in the last 5-10 years to always know I'm making a choice, that I can always choose something else, and to every day be happy with the choices I'm making, to meditate, to take time to be grateful. I wonder if it's paying off & whether it will continue. I guess we'll see.

I read through some of that. Definitely dangerous seas. Didn't get to your post yet, but Prairie had some good things to say and got whacked against a rock. Hmm. Mid-life isn't bad. Although I know that circumstances can have a profound effect.
  • Like 3

I read through some of that. Definitely dangerous seas. Didn't get to your post yet, but Prairie had some good things to say and got whacked against a rock. Hmm. Mid-life isn't bad. Although I know that circumstances can have a profound effect. 

Yeah, I just drifted across it. Nothing really resonated with me. I kept thinking "dreams deferred" and "unrealistic expectations" as I went through it, and decided that I just didn't understand enough to post. 

I just hope that I never go there. Nasty place to be.

• Like 3

And now I'm depressed just thinking about it. Somebody send me Rocco and something tall and cold to drink!

(((Ikslo))). Ikslo needs the bunny slippers! And a thick comforter, cup of tea, and Rocco.

Sounds like we need a second Rocco. Like his twin brother.... Roderigo.

• Like 5

Ok, so.... I am just irritated with people right now. DS keeps claiming that "Isaiah" at school is having a birthday party today. But I have seen no flyer, no invitation, no text, no e-mail. I don't even know "Isaiah" or his family. DS took my phone # and e-mail address to summer school so "Isaiah" can somehow notify me. So, is this a "thing"? Just word of mouth invitation. Although another kid in his class had a birthday party in June and I got a nice flyer with an address and phone number and time and date. I'm sorry, but I am not taking my child (I don't even know where I'd take him) to some birthday party that I have no information about. And now DS is mad at me. Even if I get a text or e-mail, it's today. I'm supposed to drop everything and go get a present for some kid I don't know and has so few manners he (or his family) can't notify people in a reasonable way? Well, I'm not doing it, even if I get it today, but it's just one more battle with this child. That's what's getting me down, because he is so difficult to parent and here's yet another thing that will cause conflict. I'm praying this kid or his parent doesn't contact me. Yes, it's oldest DS, with the questionable taste in literature.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

I plan to die in my sixties so I'm old enough for a midlife crisis. What should I do? 

I don't know...buy an Instant Pot. Or a coffee table. Personally, I'm happy just hiding behind my tablecloths that are blocking out all the light and not thinking about it.

My homeschooling budget just got blasted out of the water. The air conditioner is shot, but we can help it limp through summer until fall when the weather will be nice enough that we can have windows open for cooling. Five thousand bucks... :svengo:

So I saved pennies using hair conditioner to shave my legs, lined up beans and rice for the next hundred or so suppers and am busy thinking about purloining science and French from the library for the fall. In which case I'd be set and nothing to buy but Latin for fall. And I think I really ought to take my writing with me, because a cool squillion would come in handy right about now!

• Like 5

:grouphug: Krissi. That is just such an awkward age. Full of unrealistic expectations and a deep-set belief that parents are there to make the world work according to ill-laid plans. That's another place I wouldn't want to go back to. And I'm fixing to go through it with two boys. Sigh.

• Like 3

Update: from post #55,713 (good grief, are we that far already?)

So, I just got a phone call from the Mom. She sounded nice enough and acknowledged that we hadn't met, but.... You know, blah, blah, blah. It's kind of a last minute thing. The kid's birthday was in December, so it's just a casual group of boys swimming with pizza. Their house seems to be in a decent part of town. So, I'll take him and tell him he can bring the gift at some other time because I am not going to the store today!

• Like 7

Ok, so.... I am just irritated with people right now. DS keeps claiming that "Isaiah" at school is having a birthday party today. But I have seen no flyer, no invitation, no text, no e-mail. I don't even know "Isaiah" or his family. DS took my phone # and e-mail address to summer school so "Isaiah" can somehow notify me. So, is this a "thing"? Just word of mouth invitation. Although another kid in his class had a birthday party in June and I got a nice flyer with an address and phone number and time and date. I'm sorry, but I am not taking my child (I don't even know where I'd take him) to some birthday party that I have no information about. And now DS is mad at me. Even if I get a text or e-mail, it's today. I'm supposed to drop everything and go get a present for some kid I don't know and has so few manners he (or his family) can't notify people in a reasonable way? Well, I'm not doing it, even if I get it today, but it's just one more battle with this child. That's what's getting me down, because he is so difficult to parent and here's yet another thing that will cause conflict. I'm praying this kid or his parent doesn't contact me. Yes, it's oldest DS, with the questionable taste in literature.

:grouphug:

ETA: just saw the update. Sounds like a plan.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

I don't know...buy an Instant Pot. Or a coffee table. Personally, I'm happy just hiding behind my tablecloths that are blocking out all the light and not thinking about it.

My homeschooling budget just got blasted out of the water. The air conditioner is shot, but we can help it limp through summer until fall when the weather will be nice enough that we can have windows open for cooling. Five thousand bucks... :svengo:

So I saved pennies using hair conditioner to shave my legs, lined up beans and rice for the next hundred or so suppers and am busy thinking about purloining science and French from the library for the fall. In which case I'd be set and nothing to buy but Latin for fall. And I think I really ought to take my writing with me, because a cool squillion would come in handy right about now!

Ugh.

• Like 1

Okay. We leave for Connecticut tomorrow.  I'm up to my ears in housework, laundry, work-work, and trip planning.  But I keep trying to stay caught up.   Then I saw the comments about the mid-life crisis thread.  So I opened it and got to maybe post 4.  Raising children and being a wife is endless and pointless?

shocked-scream-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 5

Upside to waking up after missing a month of your life and narrowly escaping death: Any day that you can make it from horizontal to vertical is, by definition, a good day.

Imma go pack.

Did we hear this story? I forget.

• Like 1

Okay. We leave for Connecticut tomorrow. I'm up to my ears in housework, laundry, work-work, and trip planning. But I keep trying to stay caught up. Then I saw the comments about the mid-life crisis thread. So I opened it and got to maybe post 4. Raising children and being a wife is endless and pointless?

shocked-scream-smiley-emoticon.gif

How's your MIL?

I am a firm believer that we can shape our attitudes and our happiness to a good degree.  Sort of a "if you are bored, you haven't been looking at life closely" sort of thing.  Now I've had down times and burn out and times of frustration but my general approach is to figure out what I can do to make things better or at least tolerable.  Thus cleaning to James Brown blasting in the background. 

I'm also a firm believer in "that's life".  Stuff happens.  Deal with it.  (This attitude comes in handy when you have a chronic illness.)

I'm also a firm believer in taking people as they come.  Sort of a "People happen.  Deal with it." 

And over all of this is grace - the grace from God to allow us to deal with it.  The grace we apply to others.  And the grace we apply to ourselves. 

Sermon over.  Imma gonna go "express myself" by folding and putting away some more laundry. 

• Like 8

Update: from post #55,713 (good grief, are we that far already?)

So, I just got a phone call from the Mom. She sounded nice enough and acknowledged that we hadn't met, but.... You know, blah, blah, blah. It's kind of a last minute thing. The kid's birthday was in December, so it's just a casual group of boys swimming with pizza. Their house seems to be in a decent part of town. So, I'll take him and tell him he can bring the gift at some other time because I am not going to the store today!

Actually, I would assume it was a no gift party given the age of the child and that it's so far removed from actual birthday. With such late notice, I would not feel a gift was expected or desired. Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

I think the mid life crisis thread is a result of the what you love about parenting thread, lol.

I was actually thinking that.  So since I don't "love parenting" I shouldn't miss it that much when it's "over".   :D   Hurray!  There's no mid-life crisis in my future!  I'll have to think of another excuse to buy a motorcycle.   :001_cool:

• Like 5

I was actually thinking that. So since I don't "love parenting" I shouldn't miss it that much when it's "over". :D Hurray! There's no mid-life crisis in my future! I'll have to think of another excuse to buy a motorcycle. :001_cool:

Um... because they're awesome! Not that Jean's son should get one. Not until he's 40.
  • Like 5