Menu

Ignore this thread!

22 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Yes.  I'm hoping to get through the main 5 sessions over the next two weeks so that they have a common basis for discussion and doing a "story chart" for a handful of literature books so that their primary English focus this year will be their writing programs.  (OYAN for one, Byline for the other).  At least that's the plan, lol.  

I'd been planning to do this with my HSer too but forgot, thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

Hi Again!

Sitting here not wanting to move because it's going to be super-hot (for NJ) and we have air quality warnings.  I have asthma so I have to take those seriously.  I was supposed to go check out some geocaches with a friend but we're postponing.  I need to go to the bank, the UPS store to do some Amazon returns, to my classroom to put another layer of paint on cork board frames and organize more stuff, and probably clean my house a little bit.

We lost power AGAIN last night.  Lost it Friday into Saturday because a tree came down across the wires, then lost it last night because a transformer evidently blew.  We're having really bad luck with that after years and years of not losing it at all.  Thankfully, when we had to stay at a hotel last year when half the state lost power during the snow storm, we bought a generator.  It's not a whole house but we can get lights, wifi, tv and the refrigerator up and running.  But no water or AC so it's still not great.

We started school up again yesterday. The kids only had about a month off because we go year round for at least math and reading.   I"m thinking about letting dd bail on the series she's reading.  It's a 4 book fantasy series (Joust) that is going really really slowly for her.   I think part of it is she's just a slower reader than ds and I (I go through a book a day regularly) and I just realized it's considered a 7.5 reading level, which is probably a little high for her.   I have plenty of other options so I think I'll ask her opinion about it.

• Like 4

Good morning!

I couldn't for the life of me remember what day it was when I woke up.  Sunday?  Saturday?  Monday?  Took me a while.  :wacko:

Hey Toto!  Happy to see you!

I need to get a move on.  The kids are already into their lessons and I'm still trying to catch up with the morning in my bathrobe.  I need to bring dd12 to the AFSA optical place because she broke the arm of her glasses - free replacement guarantee.  ?  I can hear ds13 practicing his audition piece downstairs and I'm supposed to be down there listening.  Pantz will have to wait.

Coffee!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, egao_gakari said:

Got through to therapist's office finally. Now just have to hold out 6 days--took the earliest appointment available. On to the laundry mountain.

You can do this!! Just remember, ITT is your safe and happy place. We got your back!!!

l

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Junie said:

Dh and I are shopping for a new printer.

See Slachey's recommendation.

30 minutes ago, Slache said:

Yes.  This is what we got a month ago (?). We are very happy with it so far.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mama25angels said:

Yes, I did know that because I absolutely adore the movie they made from the book, The 13th Warrior, starring Antonio Banderas!

Fun fact - my friend and I went to see that because of AB...we had no idea it was based on Beowulf until we were well into the movie. lol 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Southern Ivy said:

Fun fact - my friend and I went to see that because of AB...we had no idea it was based on Beowulf until we were well into the movie. lol 

Isn’t it funny when that happens?? I was most of the way through Clueless before I realized it was based on Austin’s “Emma”.

• Like 3

We survived The AFSA.  Dd20 came along to get some school supplies, and I bought some frozen salmon (they have wild-caught fillets at a very good price) and shampoo and more paper notebooks for dd15 so she doesn't use up our entire supply in the next month.  The optical shop had the frames in the store, so they just put dd12's lenses in the new frames and that was that.  Easy peasy.

PB&J for lunch.

More coffee!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Isn’t it funny when that happens?? I was most of the way through Clueless before I realized it was based on Austin’s “Emma”.

I didn't know that until years later.  I read Emma for the church book club (for the first time, oh, maybe 15 years ago) and someone mentioned it.  I tried hard to hide my look of surprise.  :blink:

Ah nuts.  A literary dunce booyah!

ITT presents: Math'n'Grammarville
*All Rights Reserved*  

Except for those to the tune and original lyrics, which are obviously held by Jimmy Buffet or whatever company it is that owns him, LOL.

Livin' on twaddle,
I was happy to dawdle,
Until Mom told me my work must be done.
Now here it is sunset, 
And she won't let me drop it,
I'll be here all night and I never had fun!

Refrain:
Wasting away again in Math‘n’Grammarville
Hoping that there's a whole hour of art
Some people say that there is knowledge to gain
But I know, of it I want no part

It sure isn't pleasin',
All this logic and reason,
Gettin' shoved down my throat with these dusty old books!
When I could be skatin'
Building forts and be playin'
So I'm giving my teacher these disgusted looks! 

Refrain:
But you can’t force me to take part!

I've stalled and I've grumbled
Dropped my pencil and fumbled
Lost my place and my temper and spilled all the glue,
But Mom isn't buying,
All these tricks that I'm trying,
And I'll just have it all tomorrow to do.

Refrain:
And so I must play the part 

Wasted away again in overplanningville
Lookin for my lost teacher's manual
Some people claim
That it's the Hive that's to blame
But I know (ba ba bum bum bum)
It's my own dang fault.

Wasting away again in Math'n'Grammarville
Looking for those lost hours of sleep
Some people say that there's no way it'll work
And I say, bleeep-ity-bleep-bleep-bleep.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

I slept twelve hours.  The kids all agreed that I looked tired and let me sleep in this morning. TWELVE (12!!) HOURS. 

On a related note, uh, my joint swelling is down, and I feel a heck of a lot better. 

I've started sleeping in the guest room with a fan and a sleep mask.  I'm not going to feel guilty about this anymore. I flat out, physically, need to sleep well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have this sleep issue.  I sleep so much better by myself, and my fitbit info proves it.  Dh hates when I sleep anywhere except our bed.

I sleep much better in a bed by myself, but I'm the one who refuses to sleep anywhere except our bed.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have this sleep issue.  I sleep so much better by myself, and my fitbit info proves it.  Dh hates when I sleep anywhere except our bed.

24 minutes ago, Junie said:

I sleep much better in a bed by myself, but I'm the one who refuses to sleep anywhere except our bed.

It used to be DH who had the sleep issues where he couldn't sleep with me in the bed. Now, the polarity has reversed and I'm the one with the issue. I've never had sleep anxiety in my life, but after 2 years of my natural sleep movements causing him serious pain, I sure do. I sleep so much better when I couchsleep, or when I go down to bed first and fall asleep before he joins. If he goes to bed first, forget it, I simply will not be able to fall asleep in that bed.

• Like 4

Ugh. I have to go buy more plastic stuff to store my stuff. The minimalist in me is screaming. My chemistry supplies can't all be friends, though. Those incendiaries can't take the corrosiveness of their neighbors. There's way too much just to put these all individually on shelves. I need to come up with a stackable solution.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ugh. I have to go buy more plastic stuff to store my stuff. The minimalist in me is screaming. My chemistry supplies can't all be friends, though. Those incendiaries can't take the corrosiveness of their neighbors. There's way too much just to put these all individually on shelves. I need to come up with a stackable solution.

Have you checked Costco?

• Like 1

It's treasure hunt night at church on Wednesday. She's been tracking it on the summer church "map" for Wednesdays and when they said to dress like a pirate, she was frantic because she didn't have a costume. So, thank God for Amazon Prime! I still had to pay a bit to get it here today, but she's the cutest darn pirate I've ever seen!
(Also, I'm really glad I ordered the size 4-6, because this dress fits like an 8! )

IMG_4427.jpg.70ef4b999b4cfbeb6b21a63d6baa2c8c.jpg

ARRRGGH!

IMG_4425.jpg

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 12

38 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Do a lab intensive this week and then you won't need to store them!  

Or not.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am back from Le Target.  I tried the dollar store but they didn't have plastic shoeboxes.  I bought three boxes a size up from shoeboxes and everything should stack nicely on top of a bookcase. I have my labeler in hand to label my boxes and hopefully this mess will all be cleared off soon. 

I have a set of the rainbow boxes that stack from Costco, but they aren't deep enough for my lab burner stand or some of my glassware.  Some of my flasks and such are tall and wide. 

Ok, off to start checking off lists to make sure I didn't get shorted on supplies. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, egao_gakari said:

sadpo/

Good morning all. Haven't ketchupped. It's been a rough few days. DH's depression is worse than it's been in months. Can't get therapist's office to pick up the phone. I am now seriously contemplating putting the kids back in PS for this year... we simply don't have any money to purchase needed supplies, and any money talk at all just crushes DH into the dirt. On his way out the door this morning he said, "It's so hard to wake up every day knowing that nothing I do will make any difference." I said, "If you didn't do what you're doing, we'd be on the street. Seems like a difference to me." He said, "If kind people weren't helping us out, we'd be on the street right now anyway." It's so hard for me to combat those thoughts in him, so hard to watch him walk around, shoulders slumped, looking totally defeated by life. So hard to see him come home from work like he did yesterday, straight into the bedroom so the kids wouldn't see him cry, and stay down there all evening because being around people makes him feel worse. I think the kids are in a good place emotionally right now where I could put them back in PS for a year and it wouldn't destroy them. The fact is, my earning potential is greater than DH's from an hourly-wage perspective, although I'm not sure how many more students I'd be able to get. I just want him not to feel so completely alone and overburdened. I want to help us dig out of this hole we've wound up in after 2 years with him unable to work. It's something I've been mulling over privately for a few weeks, but this morning I prayed about it and then sent DH a text to open it up as a discussion. I think at the very least we need to talk about it.

/sadpo

I forgot to post hugs earlier.

(((egao_gakari)))

• Like 1

Slache -- the printer you recommended went up in price $7 just a few minutes ago, but I was able to get a price match so I saved some $$.  :)

We actually bought it from a store (not Amazon) so it is in our house.  Dd7 said that it was "pretty".  :laugh:

• Like 6

First someone abandoned an RV at our church. Now homeless people are living in it. Yay.

35 minutes ago, Junie said:

Slache -- the printer you recommended went up in price $7 just a few minutes ago, but I was able to get a price match so I saved some $$.  ?

We actually bought it from a store (not Amazon) so it is in our house.  Dd7 said that it was "pretty".  :laugh:

Buy the ink I linked. Excellent value.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am feeling a bit sad tonight.  Our neighbors (for two years) are moving away.  We knew it would happen at some point because they are new to the state and renting the house, but it sure is sad they are going.  Their 15yo son, "E", has been such a blessing to our younger girls especially.  When all the kids would get together to play, he wouldn't allow the other two neighbor boys to mistreat my girls in any way, shape, or fashion (which due to their nasty father, they had become accustomed to doing).  We haven't had any abusive incidents in a long, long time.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

First someone abandoned an RV at our church. Now homeless people are living in it. Yay.

We have never bought generic ink.  Does it work just as well?  Have you had any problems with it?

Hi everyone. We had an uncharacteristically bad air bnb that had NO PHONE or INTERNET service at all last night. And the place was an axe murderers dream with no one to come to the rescue.  Plus faucet knobs that came off in our hand and clogged plumbing (which we didn’t clog). And roaches. And a couple hours after I had been hanging out there all alone, dh came “home” to discover that the propane oven had just been left on for whoever knows how long.

So I couldn’t hang out here. 

We hiked at Bryce Canyon today on our way to SLC. 

Today we found out that our Bailey bunny had a stroke or heart attack yesterday and died. We are very sad. All the other animals are doing fine. 

Our air bnb here in SLC is a dream. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi everyone. We had an uncharacteristically bad air bnb that had NO PHONE or INTERNET service at all last night. And the place was an axe murderers dream with no one to come to the rescue.  Plus faucet knobs that came off in our hand and clogged plumbing (which we didn’t clog). And roaches. And a couple hours after I had been hanging out there all alone, dh came “home” to discover that the propane oven had just been left on for whoever knows how long.

So I couldn’t hang out here. 

We hiked at Bryce Canyon today on our way to SLC. 

Today we found out that our Bailey bunny had a stroke or heart attack yesterday and died. We are very sad. All the other animals are doing fine. 

Our air bnb here in SLC is a dream. 

?  Sorry about Bailey.

That stinks about the bad AirBnB. Would you please pm me the name of the good one in SLC? We are in SLC a couple of times a year and need options as the hotel we usually stay at has gotten super pricey with development in the area.

• Thanks 1

So, Matt and I had a disagreement on basic Spanish conjugations and for some reason he believed that he was right and was willing to take an outlandish bet. I officially have a typist 30 minutes a week for the next 20 weeks.

17 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

We made hot wings tonight.  They were so delicious, and I stuffed myself!

I'm telling the chickens.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Dude, someone could leave a spare tarp in a parking lot in the metro area and some homeless person would be living under it come morning. ?  When the average worker earns $36k/year, and the average one bedroom apartment is $1200/month, that's a problem. I think that's true all up and down the west coast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

?  Sorry about Bailey.

That stinks about the bad AirBnB. Would you please pm me the name of the good one in SLC? We are in SLC a couple of times a year and need options as the hotel we usually stay at has gotten super pricey with development in the area.

We liked both “cozy cottage in downtown “ and “salt city basement retreat “. I think the basement retreat one sleeps more people (5 I think)  

Btw- I got half of the price of last night’s horrible stay refunded  

• Like 4