Menu

Ignore this thread!

Due to all the backpack talk, and plus the fact that little dd has convinced me that she NEEDS a separate backpack for each of the co-ops she will be attending next year, I ordered this:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/62783?attrValue_0=Flower%20Power

Free shipping, paid with paypal, durable, cute, and all the things.  Score.

A separate backpack for herself or a separate backpack for each co-op?

She beats my little ones. They get one for each stage: lower grades, upper grades, middle school, high school. Four backpacks for childhood.

And they complain. It's a hazard of living in a high COL area. Some people are rich.

• Like 2

Wish me good luck. I have a job interview tomorrow. Private sector. Money. Not a ton, but more than enough to pay of my student loans in a year. Debt free besides a mortgage.

Yay for the person on this forum (I forget who) who told me, "You don't have a savings problem, you have an income problem." Truth.

• Like 12

I'm up again. Because husband.

Friend wants a mean looking dog and wife says no to pit bull (my first pick). Suggestions? I'm saying English Bulldog or Boxer, no pincher, chow, sharpie (ha!), or anything crossed with a wolf or coyote.

• Like 1

Friend wants a mean looking dog and wife says no to pit bull (my first pick). Suggestions? I'm saying English Bulldog or Boxer, no pincher, chow, sharpie (ha!), or anything crossed with a wolf or coyote.

I'm pretty sure you need one of these, Caucasian Mountain Russian Shepherd Dogs:

6ea830aafa81a72a5fde9f05129752f1.jpg

Hubby was looking at dogs last night...after learning how Sam and Jonah ran and hid from the neighbors yesterday...he's decided he wants a dog that's a little better at protecting the property.

We are NOT getting one of the above dogs.  We have enough of a problem keeping Jonah from chasing Mennonites on bicycles.  Pretty sure that kind of dog would EAT a Mennonite on a bicycle.  

I think this dog should be the ITT mascot dog.  We should get a screened t-shirt printed up so he can wear it.  Who wants to volunteer to put the shirt on the dog?  

Edited by Sweetpea3829
  • Like 9

Morning ITT PSA:

If you have radiant floor heating...AND you decide to use that radiant floor heating instead of, say, your wood stove...

Do NOT...I repeat now...do NOT store M&Ms for a science project in a bag on said radiantly heated floor.  

The science project you had in mind will not be the science project your kids will learn about.  

That is all...this concludes your Morning ITT PSA.  

Carry on.  And prosper.  

• Like 10

Good Monday Morning! 

Still working on the house today and laundry.  Oldest three are going their respective directions to school or co-op.  Younger two will probably do math and help me.  Back to a more normal school day tomorrow.  At least that's the plan

The coming week consists of 1 soccer practice, 2 soccer games, 2 basketball games, orthodontist check for 3, sewing lesson for 2, book club discussion for 1, trip to airport for one (because don't you think a unit based in KY should go to San Diego for its medical processing for 1 day?  Makes prefect sense.)  Dh returns Friday evening and his sister is coming to visit this weekend which doesn't require much from me, but still.  So, this will be me after today -->  :willy_nilly:   I also just realized that the two weeks of training dh will have starting next week (about an hour away from here) will include the weekend and possibly go late some evenings.  I somehow hadn't calculated that I would be mostly on my own those two weeks.  What was I thinking?  So, if I sound like I'm freaking out a bit the next 3 weeks, just pat me on the hand and say "There, there."  (I'm going to need another homeschool conference get away or prednisone, or both.)     

• Like 10

Good Morning!

Oh, my, Lynn. What a schedule!

I thought Ellie might've won the lottery.

Marching band practice starts in 2 weeks. Time has went so quickly.

Renai, I hope you had a good spring break. Are you back to school today?

I hope y'all have a wonderful day!

• Like 6

Good Morning!

Oh, my, Lynn. What a schedule!

I thought Ellie might've won the lottery. - My two guesses were either another grandchild on the way or Ellie's running for office. 

Marching band practice starts in 2 weeks.  YAY!!!   Time has gone so quickly.

Renai, I hope you had a good spring break. Are you back to school today?

I hope y'all have a wonderful day!

• Like 2

So here is how we are finishing up the year. We finish history this week. Then for the next three weeks we will do science in place of the history lessons. Then we are done. Except for misc. math and grammar lessons that need to be finished up by various people.

Co-op is done the first week of May, theater production is done the 2nd week of May, and then I will go into brain hibernation for a week.

And then we go to Maine and eat blueberries and lobsters. :)

• Like 6

I vote Dachshund; pound for pound the fiercest dog on the planet. They don't back down, and let me tell you, the sight of one of those little dogs with their lip curled is enough to make me run. :D

• Like 5

Rottweiler? 

• Like 3

(Pat, pat, pat) There, there, Lynn! It's going to be all right. One step at a time! One thing at a time. You can do this!

Sweet pea, I know what you mean. I hate when words meanings get co-opted and you end up thinking of the slang meaning instead of the legitimate meaning!

Susan, I am so jealous of you. I mapped out the rest of our school year and we're having to go full steam ahead until the beginning of June to finish our curriculum. DS will probably have to do math through the summer because he's been a butthead about math and I have been too trusting and too busy to ride him like I should have been. And I want to go to Maine, too!

• Like 7

We promise not to tell, Ellie, and we don't know your address so we are a safe bet. :D

Dh put "Mulholland Drive" on. It was on DVR. What a weird movie.

I hated that movie. Ugg. 

It may not be the meanest, but it's sure as heck the scariest looking creature on earth: 

APTOPIX_World_s_Ugliest_Dog__mschulte@kc

• Like 6

The sight of a German shepherd makes me nervous.

• Like 1

Dd9 used to call all dogs "foo-foos".  We were at the park one day while a police officer was training a K-9 German Shepherd.  Dd9 was about 2.  She pointed and said, "Foo-foo!"  No, Sweetie, that is not a foo-foo.

• Like 4

Good morning.  I slept poorly.  I do not handle temperature changes well at all.

I am doing doctor mandated research on an experimental treatment.  I don't know. . .   I'm scared to try it and a bit scared to turn it down.  I think I will ask him to help me to make a pro and con list.  Oh and I should check to see if insurance would pay for it.  It's fairly low cost, but still. 

I think the Caucasian Mountain dog (there was more to the name but I"m too lazy to look up there to see the whole name) is really really cool.  He doesn't look scary at all.  He looks like a sweetheart, like most of the huge dogs I've known.  Now I want one.  But I had vowed that I'm not getting a dog that needs a lot of grooming.  And all that hair. . . .  

• Like 8

Have you all read Mr. Popper's Penguins? What did you think?

I have a vague recollection of reading this aloud and not liking it much. But that might have been another book. (I am picking out some summer read-alouds.)

I think when I read this aloud last, kid3 tried to calculate how much penguin poo was likely to be in the house.  We still own the book, but I'm not likely to read it to my daughters.

• Like 3

When I was a kid we had a Rottweiler/German Shepherd/Dobie mix. Her name was Dixie and she was the sweetest dog in the world. She looked mean, but she was so gentle and she loved cats. She'd lay on the deck curled up with the cat. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Mr. Popper's Penguins was just a little too zany for me. That is one of those books that I'd have no problem reading excerpts from, but not reading the whole thing, because some chapters were pretty funny and enjoyable. After a while, the gimmick got old.

I discovered that I have only six weeks left of spring term. Then three weeks of summer break in May, the perfect time of year for outdoor enjoyment around here, provided one bathes in tick spray.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure you need one of these, Caucasian Mountain Russian Shepherd Dogs:

6ea830aafa81a72a5fde9f05129752f1.jpg

Hubby was looking at dogs last night...after learning how Sam and Jonah ran and hid from the neighbors yesterday...he's decided he wants a dog that's a little better at protecting the property.

We are NOT getting one of the above dogs.  We have enough of a problem keeping Jonah from chasing Mennonites on bicycles.  Pretty sure that kind of dog would EAT a Mennonite on a bicycle.  

I think this dog should be the ITT mascot dog.  We should get a screened t-shirt printed up so he can wear it.  Who wants to volunteer to put the shirt on the dog?  

I will! I can make any dog do anything. My boss at the grooming shop would only schedule certain dogs when I was in. :D

I vote Dachshund; pound for pound the fiercest dog on the planet. They don't back down, and let me tell you, the sight of one of those little dogs with their lip curled is enough to make me run. :D

So true!

I am in the middle of discussing a bird order with our local Runnings manager.  

I have to admit...every time I write the word "cock", I feel dirty.  

#isaidcock

#stillfeeldirty

#justaword

#butitsadirtyword

You could just say penis? Does that feel less dirty? Ok seriously, what's the difference between a rooster and a cock? Is it regional?

Rottweiler? 

I like them, but there are a lot of bad ones. I need to teach him to test submission. They made it to the maybe list last night.

There' a reason for that. They're on the no list. There are a lot of good ones, but with little kids one does not need a animal that might be nasty that was intended to bite little things.

• Like 4

This dog discussion is making me .... tense.... 

I have many many thoughts on this.  There are so many mislabelled, misunderstood, and abused breeds.  My general blanket statement is that the vast majority of people should not get anything remotely 'guardy' and should stick to dogs who simply make noise to warn of intruders.  

No dogs make my "no" list.  (I lie. I have "no" lists but their criteria have nothing to do with what's being said here) 

I'm waiting for our dentist to open. I thought they opened at 8:30 but apparently not. 

• Like 5

I was too tired to get into this last night but friend is an ex gang member from LA. Wonderful man, extremely sorry about his past, but still has some of that mentality. So, mean looking dog. He left LA when his 8 year old son covered himself in tattoos with a pen and said he was going to be just like Daddy when he grows up. Matt was one of his first friends after moving to Oregon.

I had a dream about organizing. Nesting much? We're going to Babies R Us for the first time this pregnancy to start a registry so we get coupons. I never pay full price for anything. I'm very stubborn in that way.

I really want to get accepted to this stupid apartment so we can enroll Mr. John into Martial Arts. He needs something fun to do with kids his age. I just don't want to pick a location until we know where we're living.

• Like 3

I have many many thoughts on this.  There are so many mislabelled, misunderstood, and abused breeds.  My general blanket statement is that the vast majority of people should not get anything remotely 'guardy' and should stick to dogs who simply make noise to warn of intruders.  

No dogs make my "no" list.  (I lie. I have "no" lists but their criteria have nothing to do with what's being said here) 

I'm waiting for our dentist to open. I thought they opened at 8:30 but apparently not. 

I agree. There is an issue though when people who should not be breeding are doing it anyway. You wind up with unhealthy or aggressive dogs. It's so sad. Pit Bulls are my all time favorite dog. :)

• Like 2

this is weird - I just saw a post which has no 'like' button.  Can people disable it on their posts? 

oh duh - never mind. Just saw that it's a moderator. I don't think this person was always a mod so I must have missed this promotion....

Edited by hornblower

I got an email from my church. They're wanting me to come in to take some administrative tests on Thursday. 
I'm super excited and nervous. I haven't used a PC exclusively for 5 years and switching between Macs and PCs is hard for me. 

I will be taking some free online admin tests on DH's PC in the next few days.
Plus, I need to go get a nice outfit. My clothes are so worn. I need something fresh. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 9

A separate backpack for herself or a separate backpack for each co-op?

She beats my little ones. They get one for each stage: lower grades, upper grades, middle school, high school. Four backpacks for childhood.

And they complain. It's a hazard of living in a high COL area. Some people are rich.

She will have two backpacks.  We are not rich.   She has already planned how she will pack her lunch in the lunch cube she got for Christmas.  That is how this child rolls.

Our Daisy is not mean, but she is a guardian breed so she will bark and protect her flock, which is us.  They will take down a coyote if needed, but mostly they use their deep, booming barks to warn people to stay away.  She does bark at people and other dogs passing by.  She would only hurt someone or another dog if they hurt her or us.  

Important info to know, then I'm going to bed for reals:

If I followed this advice, I would not sprain my ankle.

The only dogs at the Humane Society who ever bit me were chihuahuas.  I think they are mentally daft. :lol:  The multiple pits were sweet and gentle.

Yes, I agree.   

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8

Oh, and by the way, breeds that made my no list were breeds that were more likely to bite than not. We did unpleasant things at the groomer like trim nails and empty anal glands. Every one of our 30+chows bit, all 7(?) Shar Peis bit, all but about about 10 of our German Shepherds bit... you get the picture. My concern is what happens when a 3 year old does something unpleasant to a dog. Friend wants more kids.

Personally, I think he should get a beagle, but that's not his style.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

When you inexplicably sleep until 11 am and no one wakes you up and you don't get regular breakfast for your kid, who then misses his online geometry class because the only person awake in time was the brother who forgot to get him up.

Must.get.better.plan.

• Like 5

Hey friends, I'm taking a break from working on the house.  I'm going to clean the half bath on the first floor and then probably be finished except for laundry.

We have a chocolate lab.  I'm not a dog person, but he's a good one.  I agree with hornblower that I should never have anything guardy.  Also, the lower maintenance the better, like maybe a cat.  We are still treating the sore on our lab's leg.  It is improving.  That's all I've got about dogs.  Except for when I was younger and dogs killed our sheep.  But who wants to talk about that?   

Jean, best wishes with the medicine trial decision. 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 4

When you inexplicably sleep until 11 am and no one wakes you up and you don't get regular breakfast for your kid, who then misses his online geometry class because the only person awake in time was the brother who forgot to get him up.

Must.get.better.plan.

If it makes you feel better, we didn't get 14yo ds up early enough for breakfast.  He went to co-op without it.  Got there, felt slightly sick and slightly hungry and decided to eat applesauce out of his lunch, threw it up, called me to come get him after he did debate, lol.  He's a little better now - has had some saltines. 

• Like 3

funny aside: I live in a city of over 2.5 million people and there is exactly one groomer I would trust with my dogs.

And I actually never have sent my dogs to her but I did let her shave down a foster. 

I have similar thoughts about most veterinarians and some dentists (the dentists esp wrt children) 

• Like 3