Menu

Ignore this thread!

Critterfixer, I think my cats have ear mites.  My old cat never had them so assume the kitten brought them from the shelter.  I've treated them directed in the ears twice, and they persist.  Will fipronil applied between the shoulder blades get rid of the mites?  The cats are indoors only and do not have fleas or ticks, but I want to get rid of the mites because my old cat is really bothered by them.

I have not had any success with fipronil for ear mites. I like the Acarexx product which doesn't require ear cleaning. For longer term control, you might go with Revolution for cats, which treats and prevents ear mites. Revolution is what I use for my kitten.

• Like 2

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Matt's company is moving to Austin. Maybe in 6 months, maybe in 6 years, we don't know. If they'll pay for us to relocate we will. They've been trying to get Matt to be a lead for years, but it's more responsibility with no more pay. It's a really crappy job, but they might pay for us to move if he takes it. We're still going to Indiana, but this would mean same pay with lower cost of living.

• Like 7

Matt's company is moving to Austin. Maybe in 6 months, maybe in 6 years, we don't know. If they'll pay for us to relocate we will. They've been trying to get Matt to be a lead for years, but it's more responsibility with no more pay. It's a really crappy job, but they might pay for us to move if he takes it. We're still going to Indiana, but this would mean same pay with lower cost of living.

COL in Austin is sky high. 

Edited by texasmama

In other news, I caught up with the world and saw Star Wars. It occupied a few hours. We had a literary discussion in the car relating to the opening act of a story and characterization points related to said opening act.

Still trying to decide if I want to see that! We saw the second set that came out and they did nothing for me.
  • Like 1

So, I'm waffling between watching the Cardinals and the Packers (no spoilers for Jo Jo's Mom) and researching places to stay on the coast. My birthday is next month and I told dh we were going to go to the coast for a night, sans children. Since our babysitter had the nerve to go out and get a real job, thus dumping us, we haven't had any time together in a year. They've really jacked up the prices at the hotel we used to like in Pismo Beach,so now I'm trying to find another place. Some people like this sort of thing, I hate it. I just wish some one would book me a room at a moderately priced, clean hotel on the Central Coast with an ocean view.

• Like 2

Might be. It's all relative. It's a fun and funky liberal town. I like it. UT is there and it's the Capitol and all. Nice weather. Close to Ellie.

We're uber conservative, but get along with all kinds. I like nice weather and Ellie. We need to look more into it. They haven't even made a formal announcement yet, just lots of rumors. Apparently there was something in the paper in San Francisco about it? I don't know. I'm tired of finding out about everything last.

• Like 1

Still trying to decide if I want to see that! We saw the second set that came out and they did nothing for me. 

It was okay. I wouldn't go see it again, but once was fine. It suffers from something I've seen lately in both movies and in fiction: inability to define a protagonist in favor of fleshing out stories of misunderstood or interesting secondary characters. At some point, you have to pick a guy or gal and run with him or her, and you hope to do that in your first draft, but you really must have it figured out before you cut and print, you know!

Secondary characters are fun, but they are a lot like pepper. You don't want pepper in every bite, and you really want to know what the main flavor is supposed to be, or you worry that all that pepper is covering up something that can't stand up by itself. 

• Like 3

I hated, despised, abhorred the "prequels" (Episodes 1-3). I liked the originals, though. 

This one was definitely as good as the originals, and 100x better than E1-3, imho. I really enjoyed it and am ready to watch the coming episodes. 

• Like 1

I hated, despised, abhorred the "prequels" (Episodes 1-3). I liked the originals, though.

This one was definitely as good as the originals, and 100x better than E1-3, imho. I really enjoyed it and am ready to watch the coming episodes.

I loved the originals! Well, maybe we'll go watch this one!

Oh, my word, Slash!  I looked up average rents in Austin, TX and found this link.   :scared:   I hope it's not right, but you may want to listen to Tex.  And have Ellie look around for you.  Wow.  The average rent on a two-bedroom apartment was higher than our mortgage payment was on a three bedroom house with a shop on ten acres.  Double :scared: .

• Like 1

Have you looked at Morro Bay, Krissi?  (Personally, I really, really don't like Pismo.  It's where the gangsters go to party on the weekend.  We stopped going when DH and I recognized too many people we knew professionally, so to speak.  Of course, that was a number of years ago, but still.  However, if you do go, have some chowder at Splash for me, k?)

Have you looked at Morro Bay, Krissi? (Personally, I really, really don't like Pismo. It's where the gangsters go to party on the weekend. We stopped going when DH and I recognized too many people we knew professionally, so to speak. Of course, that was a number of years ago, but still. However, if you do go, have some chowder at Splash for me, k?)

Yeah, we're looking at Morro Bay now! Or Cayucus. I actually like Morro Bay a lot. And I love hiking at Montana de Oro. I will make sure to stop at Splash for chowder in honor of you if we end up there. Which I think we will.
  • Like 1

Oh, my word, Slash! I looked up average rents in Austin, TX and found this link. :scared: I hope it's not right, but you may want to listen to Tex. And have Ellie look around for you. Wow. The average rent on a two-bedroom apartment was higher than our mortgage payment was on a three bedroom house with a shop on ten acres. Double :scared: .

Suburbs! That's what it cost to live *in* Portland, but we don't live in Portland. If you look at neighboring communities it's cheaper than our rent.
  • Like 2

My daughter is running around the house yelling "booty butt, booty butt". We would prefer she not say 'butt', so we tell her, "you may say 'booty', however we don't say 'butt' when we're talking about your bottom."

Her response?

"But, other kids say it!"

How are we dealing with peer pressure at 3 years old?!

Man I hear you. Now is a good time to watch Spanish language cartoons. :)

My thoughts are with those dealing with all the bad weather. It's just raining as usual here. I am at a violin lesson.

• Like 2

Stupid new computer doesn't support windows 7. I found a way around the password and changed it from the church account to my account. He set it up with the church email because he doesn't know if I'll know how to check the church email otherwise. He also downloaded chrome because it's the newest and best thing and I shouldn't use Internet Explorer. He also explained avast and told me to call him if I had any problems. Steve! Sweetie! I know how to use a computer. I've got this.

OH MY WORD!! By the time this rain is over, we will have received 12 inches of rain. The creek is flooding again, so downtown will be flooded again tonight I'm sure. Our basement is holding steady, but I have several friends who have multiple inches of water in their basements. 
Monday is supposed to be more rain and some snow. 

Gov. Nixon has declared a state of emergency. 

Check out all the closed roads - that's insane! 
http://traveler.modot.org/map/

• Like 2

We took advantage of the warm temps and a temp lull in the rain to go to the park today.  On the way there, DS said something.  I corrected his grammar.  He replied, "Wait...is today Monday?"  Apparently I am not allowed to correct his grammar on the weekends.  LOL  Yeah, right.  Try and stop me.

This from the kid who asked me to read history to him last night in the tub.  We're on break! 

History gets a pass, but grammar is a no-go. 

• Like 6

I have not had any success with fipronil for ear mites. I like the Acarexx product which doesn't require ear cleaning. For longer term control, you might go with Revolution for cats, which treats and prevents ear mites. Revolution is what I use for my kitten.

Sounds like I need to take her to the vet. Is there an over the counter product that works?

Grammatically incorrect songs drive me crazy. 

Also, my husband just cooked Hot Pockets in the oven. Isn't that why we have a microwave? He says they taste better in the oven. They're Hot Pockets! They're supposed to be cold on the outside and molten lava on the inside. You only get that from microwaves. 

He has a lot to learn.  :lol:

We don't get hot pockets here, are they the same as pizza pops?  If so my kids usually cook theirs in the oven too.  It is one of the rare times they get along, because they will cook the whole package as one in the oven and then split it between them. (Package referring to the box if I buy name brand, or the bag if I buy generic. Either way they are cooking about 12 at a time).  They really are way better in the oven.

• Like 1

COL in Austin is sky high. It's a thing being talked about. I have family there.

There are many communities around the actual Austin city limits that have very reasonable COL. Even in Austin proper, I couldn't say COL is "sky high." Perhaps compared to, oh, Bismark, North Dakota, but not compared to other large cities. I live in Round Rock, and it's definitely affordable.

• Like 2

There are many communities around the actual Austin city limits that have very reasonable COL. Even in Austin proper, I couldn't say COL is "sky high." Perhaps compared to, oh, Bismark, North Dakota, but not compared to other large cities. I live in Round Rock, and it's definitely affordable.

Good to know. We're spoiled. Matt works on the edge of town and we got a place 10 minutes farther out. It's very quiet and wooded. Our rent is under $1,000 as well, which is difficult to find in Beaverton. Everyone seems to think that everyone makes $50,000 a year. We don't. Neither do all the people that work at McDonald's. Things are going crazy here. Our rent has gone up $100 a year since we moved in. We need to move. :(

We don't get hot pockets here, are they the same as pizza pops?  If so my kids usually cook theirs in the oven too.  It is one of the rare times they get along, because they will cook the whole package as one in the oven and then split it between them. (Package referring to the box if I buy name brand, or the bag if I buy generic. Either way they are cooking about 12 at a time).  They really are way better in the oven.

I think maybe what you call pizza pops, we would call pizza rolls. (And yes, those are definitely better in the oven.) 

These are Hot Pockets. They're quite a bit larger than pizza pops/rolls. They have ham/cheese, turkey/broccoli/cheese, pizza, etc. I used to eat them at school when I would take my lunch, so I was just used to popping them in the microwave. I can see how they are better, but to me, it just defies all school lunch ideology. ;) 

Edited by Southern Ivy

Computer woes update: Mr. Ellie is having to buy software to recover all my Outlook data (contacts and Notes). I keep *everything* in Outlook. I do have some information in my cell phone and on actual cards in my Longaberger address basket. :-) But Outlook has so much more. ::heavy sigh:: I'm almost up and running again.

• Like 2

Computer woes update: Mr. Ellie is having to buy software to recover all my Outlook data (contacts and Notes). I keep *everything* in Outlook. I do have some information in my cell phone and on actual cards in my Longaberger address basket. :-) But Outlook has so much more. ::heavy sigh:: I'm almost up and running again.

There's probably a 3rd party free software that will do that.

I think maybe what you call pizza pops, we would call pizza rolls. (And yes, those are definitely better in the oven.) 

These are Hot Pockets. They're quite a bit larger than pizza pops/rolls. They have ham/cheese, turkey/broccoli/cheese, pizza, etc. I used to eat them at school when I would take my lunch, so I was just used to popping them in the microwave. I can see how they are better, but to me, it just defies all school lunch ideology. ;) 

Those sound yummy.

THese are pizza pops https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_Pops We usually just get the 4 cheese ones, but there is pepperoni, deluxe etc as well.  We don't have those pizza rolls either as far as I know, they look smaller than our pizza pops.  They are normally done in a microwave and sent to school for lunches, in the regular box they come individually wrapped but when I buy generic they are all just in a big bag together.  Now I want to try a hot pocket and see if they are actually any good.

• Like 2

This evening I lost Rocky the deaf old dog with puppy ADHD. He wasn't in his usual spot under the dining room table. I called outside in the back yard. He's deaf but he usually sees when I put on the porch light. No response. I looked out front in case he accidentally got let out front. Nothing. Finally I went out in the dark with a flashlight in the cold wet rain. I started to get worried when I looked in his favorite spots under the deck and under the trees to the side of the shed and couldn't find him. Then my flashlight swept by the downstairs basement sliding doors. There was Rocky, warm and dry, looking out at me with great interest. He apparently had gotten locked into the schoolroom of doom.

• Like 9

I am popping to say hello!  I don't think I have any hope of catching up, but I will opine that Slache should totally move to Austin. :)

Dh is home for one more week!!! It's been great having him home!

:seeya:

ETA:  Booyah and good morning!

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 7