Menu

Ok, I need some ideas.

LucyStoner

My older son is working in writing both sides of the persuasive essay.

I need topics that are not controversial enough to inflame him (he is a rigid thinking kid with ASD, part of these assignments is meant to help him be more flexible but there's a limit) but not so milquetoast as to bore or him or make the assignment wholly pointless. Looking for topics where there are strong points on each side so things like "blue is the best color" are out.

For whatever reason, I am finding this challenging. I can think of a gabillion and one topics but they don't hit that middle ground of important but not highly controversial. Any ideas? I am hoping we can work up to more meaty topics later but he needs to get some practice under his belt first.

This is tied into what he is working on with his SLP too and she's had trouble finding that middle ground with him too- challenging but not so challenging as to be counterproductive.

Let's see. . .  whether XYZ movie stuck to the book?  

I was going to suggest something similar to this.  He could present the arguments for and against whether a particular film adaptation was successful.

Other random suggestions that popped into my mind:

Digital music vs old school vinyl

Whether or not it is appropriate/necessary to tip hotel housekeepers

The new Hello Barbie- cool or creepy?

The advantages and disadvantages of crockpots :D

This is for an 11 year old boy, not a bunch of middle aged homeschool moms with our panties in a twist. :P

Pro-crockpot:

Sometimes some of the food my mom makes is cooked in a crockpot. It uses electricity and is nice to come home to a good smelling dinner ready to eat. Long live the crockpot!

Anti-crockpot:

It's my job to unload the dishwasher and it's heavy. Also I can't reach the shelf where we keep it. And that's annoying. Down with crockpots!

• Like 4

Android vs. Apple?  I kid you not, I taught a research paper class and one of the kids did a paper on why Android is better than Apple. It was actually quite good, but I still have an iPhone! 

Is there anything going on nearby that might interest him - something like using tax $ to pay for a skateboard park or other amenities? 

Slot toaster v. toaster oven

Hand or machine dish washing

Is it worthwhile to keep a second fridge or should I buy a deep freeze

Stick or pitcher blender (or both)

Is apple really safer from virus/malware attacks

I have questions he could research!  :tongue_smilie:  Good luck!

Minecraft: Peaceful Mode or Survival Mode

2 years ago that could have been a death spiral issue. So this reminds me we have made progress.

He wrote a very strong essay arguing against educational TV shows for kids and TV for little kids in general but when I asked him to argue the other side I might has well have asked him to perform a juggling act with fire while riding a unicycle uphill though an obstacle course.

Eating organic food or not?

Is it better to read the book first or see the movie first?

Personal freedom vs. helmet/seatbelt laws?

Yoga pants:  yay or nay?  (OK that was a joke)

A lot of school topics come to mind, which may or may not be interesting to a homeschooler:

Should school be compulsory for youths (___ age group)?

School dress codes - pro or con?

Zero tolerance discipline

Compulsory volunteer hours

Compulsory phys ed / foreign language / home ec / shop.....

Let's see. . .  whether XYZ movie stuck to the book?  

Ds17 - also an aspie says "Negative effect of the lack of direct competition of internet service providers on the internet"

OMG! I completely love that. Seriously, Net Neutrality/Government granted monopolies is a great example of a whole class of prompts... The personal freedom/libertarian thought vs societal obligation.

Should drugs be legal?

Should the government extend mandatory education through college?

Should peanuts/perfume be banned on airplanes?

Should seat belts be mandatory?

Should there be any limits to weapons possession(nukes, biologicals)?

Are copyrights excessive?

Lots of places you go with these...

• Like 1

The whole point of an assigned writing that makes you right both sides is that you will probably not agree with half of what you are writing.  That doesn't mean he cannot research what other people believe about the topic.  I think picking a book and deciding if the movie successfully portrayed the book or not.  He doesn't have to care whether books should be turned into movies.  Something like the first Harry Potter movie might be something he is familiar with.  Really the book to movie translation is decent in that they get the storyline out correctly, but they leave out a whole lot of details.  Totally different then the first Percy Jackson book where they totally destroyed the book to movie.

• Like 1

He doesn't have to be reduced to a death spiral over coral reefs or scrabble rules but those are things he has lost it over before.

Autism is a strange thing though.

Do you really think he will find a topic that he has an opinion over that won't send him into a spiral to find out information that contradicts his current opinion?  I would think it is the confusion that ensues after learning the new information that give him the most problems.

Can you have him choose the general topics and then help him come up with a thesis and antithesis?

My older son is working in writing both sides of the persuasive essay.

I need topics that are not controversial enough to inflame him (he is a rigid thinking kid with ASD, part of these assignments is meant to help him be more flexible but there's a limit) but not so milquetoast as to bore or him or make the assignment wholly pointless. Looking for topics where there are strong points on each side so things like "blue is the best color" are out.

For whatever reason, I am finding this challenging. I can think of a gabillion and one topics but they don't hit that middle ground of important but not highly controversial. Any ideas? I am hoping we can work up to more meaty topics later but he needs to get some practice under his belt first.

This is tied into what he is working on with his SLP too and she's had trouble finding that middle ground with him too- challenging but not so challenging as to be counterproductive.

Do you really think he will find a topic that he has an opinion over that won't send him into a spiral to find out information that contradicts his current opinion? I would think it is the confusion that ensues after learning the new information that give him the most problems.

No, it's not confusion. It's also not the existence of things he doesn't like that is the issue, it's trying to reconcile two very valid but very opposite sets of information. And death spirals are rarer these days but yes, he's pretty militant that movies from books suck, always. I jest, but I still don't really care to remind him about it either. It's an oddly serious issue for him. He especially hates historical inaccuracies in books and movies and since he studies so much history, he finds inaccuracies that many just wouldn't know where there.

It's a rigid mindset that makes it hard to see opinions that he doesn't share or, in the case of something really controversial can make it hard to shut off all of the empathy for vastly counter positions (like seeing both sides of the Israel Palestine issue and being overwhelmed with concern for all and feelings of hopelessness for a solution.)

One interesting thing that came up when we were listening to some news is that he is intuitively pro-life. This is not a political opinion I share (though personally is a different matter) but I respect his ability to think differently than me or his father. When I gently gave a rundown of the pro-choice side he wasn't confused or flummoxed or even angry but he was totally not seeing how those were points. He wouldn't be able to come up with three pro-choice reasons unless he memorized them or some thing, much less write about them (not that I would assign that for a nearly 12 year old anyways). Just trying to illustrate why this is a more difficult endeavor for him than some.

• Like 1