Menu

Book a Week in 2015 - BW10

Robin M

I finished the latest in Julia Quinn's Smythe\Smith quartet a few minutes ago. The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy was a fun visit to Flufferton Abbey with on of my favorite fictional families front and center. I will be honest and say this wasn't as good as some of her books but I did read all of it this afternoon/evening so it really didn't matter. :lol: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22046656-the-secrets-of-sir-richard-kenworthy

• Like 9

TeacherZee, I spent much of the afternoon reading Coming In From the Cold (Gravity Book 1) by Sarina Bowen.  It was well worth the 99 cents it cost me.  Thank you!

"He can’t have her. And he can’t tell anyone why.

Ski racer Dane "Danger" Hollister does not do relationships, though he keeps his reason a secret. The real-life curse he's inherited from his mother will eventually cost him everything: his place on the Olympic ski team, his endorsement income, and his ability to fly downhill at top speed.

Reluctant country girl Willow Reade meets Dane by accident. Literally. Her skidding truck forces him off the road during a blizzard. Stranded together in his Jeep as night falls, the two loneliest people in Vermont find themselves sharing more than they'd planned. And not just conversation.

Yet neither can guess how their unlikely tryst will threaten Dane's frightening secret and Willow's tentative peace with her own choices. Only mutual trust and understanding can end their pain and give them a hard won shot at love."

Adult content.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished Daughter of Time last night.  If anything, I loved it more this read, because I've spent more time in the intervening years thinking about history - how it is created, how it is communicated to kids in stories and textbooks, how historical knowledge is constructed by historians and by consumers.  This book does a fine send-up of all that.  I find myself thinking about all the people who "know" that Anne Boylen stole Henry VIII from her sister Mary, and that Henry had a sister named Margaret who married, and then murdered, the King of Portugal.  So many people - Americans at least - get their history from Oliver Stone and HBO, not to mention their school history textbooks, no wonder our collective historical IQ is so low. But it's easy to forget that even the writers contemporary to past historical events had their own agendas, some of which make it into canonical, textbook history without much examination.  I loved the snark about "the sainted Thomas" - I'm not a big Thomas More fan, but I wonder how much that was influenced by his character in The Tudors!!!  :lol:

• Like 10

I finished both Murder on the Orient Express and For Whom the Bell Tolls on Monday.

The mystery was easy to figure out, as most of Agatha Christie's are, and it was fun to spend some time with the pompous Poirot again. I can say I gave Hemingway another try and not feel guilty for deciding his novels just aren't for me.

I've gone back to North and South. I'm also reading Resurrection Row by Anne Perry. I said I wasn't going to read any more of her work once I found out who she is, but then I got caught up in the lives of the regular characters in this series.

Library holds are coming in left and right, and at some point I might have to cancel some and place a new hold another time. I had both the audio book and Kindle versions of The Joy Luck Club on hold. The audio book came in yesterday but I can see that the Kindle version will be in soon. I have to decide if I want to listen to it or read it. I have 2 more days to decide or the audio book hold is automatically cancelled.

If only all of life's decisions were simply as difficult as which book to read next. ;)

• Like 11

Maybe we do!  I am the only Marianne I know.  Thankfully, ALL of my Elinor's take care of me.   ;)  (Did I mention there are  A LOT of them?  :willy_nilly:  But I adore them all!)  

I think you are only focusing on the negatives of Marianne's character (the bolded), and funny enough, yep, I posses those qualities.  Of course, I felt all those much, much more when I was younger.  I truly was Marianne then.  Thank God, I have grown leaps and bounds since then but they are still there inside me.  Marianne, as a character, has positive traits as well.  She possesses an extreme sense of loyalty to those she loves, and when she (finally) comes to the realization that she is wrong, she is willing to admit that (Plenty of my Elinor's never think they are wrong because surely their way is the most practical and makes sense so it has to be right) .  And Marianne doesn't love by halves or with reserve.  Colonel Brandon will be well loved for the rest of his days.

I think I'm feeling judgmental against those who feel differently about Marianne than I do :lol:

I started listening to Sense & Sensibility on audio last week when I had that horrible migraine.  It has been awhile since my last read of it, and I will admit to cringing at some of Marianne and Willoughby's  conversations about other people.  Willoughby was a bad influence on an already passionate mind.  He's not the manipulator that Wickham is in P&P but his is a more subtle influence, a taking advantage of the love that was given him.     

It's funny how we read books differently at different times in our lives, influenced by our recent/surrounding experiences, and how we ourselves have changed, isn't it? It's one of my favorite things about re-reading.  FWIW, I think I'm being more hard on Marianne now than when I was younger! And more sympathetic of the person "in the middle" who has to be the grown-up for her elders and her "younger" - absolutely influenced by current events in my life!

• Like 8

I'm well into the latest Flavia mystery, As Chimney Sweeps Come To Dust, and enjoying it immensely. I have realized that these books have a similar flavor to books by Lemony Snicket, Trenton Lee Stewart,and Blue Balliet. I guess I have a soft spot for precocious children with large vocabularies and quirky senses of humor.

• Like 10

For those of you who like fantasy, check out this bundle of sixteen authors of fantasy - available in e book for  99 cents. Lots of firsts in numerous series.

For non fiction mysteries - check out Erik Larson and see the review of Dead Wake on Flavorwire.

BBC's Culture article - The Greatest Year for Books ever?  lauds Hemingway, Woolf and Fitzgerald and thinks 1925 was the best year ever in literature.

• Like 9

Earlier I finished Anne Bishop's Vision in Silver: A Novel of the Others; this is the third book in the Others series.  I enjoyed it a great deal; however, I recommend starting with the first book, Written in Red.  Now I want to read more but will have to wait for the author!

"The Others freed the cassandra sangue to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Earlier I finished Anne Bishop's Vision in Silver: A Novel of the Others; this is the third book in the Others series. I enjoyed it a great deal; however, I recommend starting with the first book, Written in Red. Now I want to read more but will have to wait for the author!

"The Others freed the cassandra sangue to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…"

Regards,

Kareni

I will be finishing this tonight! We are apparently having a group read. :lol: I have to say it is very good. I am glad Robin discovered more are planned but wish we didn't have to wait.

If anyone is planning to read these this really is a series where starting at the beginning (Written in Red) is needed.

• Like 6

I've spent a goodly amount of time on the BookRiot site.  Here are a couple of finds ~

Dangerous Consequences of the Book Life

(Make sure you read the comments; I was laughing so hard I cried.)

and

for fans of Tolkien, Harry Potter, The Princess Bride, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

More Bookish Cross Stitch and Embroidery

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I'm well into the latest Flavia mystery, As Chimney Sweeps Come To Dust, and enjoying it immensely. I have realized that these books have a similar flavor to books by Lemony Snicket, Trenton Lee Stewart,and Blue Balliet. I guess I have a soft spot for precocious children with large vocabularies and quirky senses of humor.

I am reading Flavia as well.  I was a bit afraid of this book as Flavia leaves all that is familiar to her but I am absolutely loving it!  Never before have I enjoyed a series for so long.

• Like 8

I will be finishing this tonight! We are apparently having a group read. :lol: I have to say it is very good. I am glad Robin discovered more are planned but wish we didn't have to wait.

If anyone is planning to read these this really is a series where starting at the beginning (Written in Red) is needed.

Okay, I can't wait any longer.  Downloaded the Kindle version.

• Like 6

18. "How to Become a Straight-A Student" by Cal Newport.  Sounds great.  I did a few of these things as a student.  I wasn't straight-A in college, but I graduated with a respectable GPA and all.  Maybe if I'd known all of them...  I'll probably buy my own copy of this for the kids to use.  DS may need it as soon as three years from now, as we are eyeing a dual enrollment charter high school associated with one of our local universities.

17. "Eight Plus One" by Robert Cormier.

16.  "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.

15. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.

14.  "As You Wish" by Cary Elwes.

13. "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. 

12. "My Louisiana Sky" by Kimberly Willis Holt. 

11. "Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself" by Alan Alda.  

10. "When I Was Your Age" edited by Amy Ehrlich.

9. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick.  

8. “Broken Things to Mend†by Jeffrey R. Holland (LDS)

7. “When You Can't Do It Alone†by Brent Top. (LDS)

6. “What to Do When You Worry Too Much†and “What to Do When Your Temper Flares†by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.â€

5. “Tales of a Female Nomad†by Rita Golden Gelman.

4. “Heaven is for Real†by Todd Burpo.

3. "Your Happily Ever After" and "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. (LDS)

2. "Cliff-Hanger" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

1. "Rage of Fire" by Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson.

• Like 6

I am now listening to Mansfield Park on audio--so wonderful,. I just get lost in it. The audio version really brings it to life.  Still finishing The Westing Game with the kids and about 80% done with George Orwell's Coming Up for Air--highly recommended.

Up next is I was thinking Atticus Lish' new book, but reading the first chapter left me depressed, so I think that's not right for me right now. I need something light yet meaningful--Mansfield Park is fitting the bill, so maybe another Jane Austen.....I am feeling a bit down lately so this is a wonderful escape.

• Like 8

I've been very neglectful and haven't posted for awhile, but I wanted to get caught up. Currently I'm reading Passage to Dawn. Eventually I'm going to break out of my little fantasy binge, but not quite yet. Life has been stressful. My reading has been relaxing. When life is less stressful, then I might have some brain cells left to tackle some more challenging reading. For now, I'm thankful for escapist twaddle.

So far this year I've read: 

Siege of Darkness

Starless Night

The Memory of Earth

The Return of the King

The Two Towers

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Legend of Drizzt (collection of short stories)

The Legacy

Earthbound 

The Halfling's Gem 

The Kings & Queens of Roam 

Streams of Silver 

Son 

Messenger 

The Familiars 

The Crystal Shard 

Songmaster

• Like 10

It's funny how we read books differently at different times in our lives

That is certainly true!

I'm well into the latest Flavia mystery, As Chimney Sweeps Come To Dust, and enjoying it immensely....I guess I have a soft spot for precocious children with large vocabularies and quirky senses of humor.

I just finished Flavia yesterday!  Yaroo!  I adore her!  I'm hoping to have time to get my reviews done today, as I also finished Mary Poppins.  

• Like 7

I finished Return of the Native.

Now, would anyone like to tell me *why* this book is considered a must-read classic?  I mean, I enjoyed it, but I don't see that it's something all young people need to read in order to be complete, literate human beings.

Next I'm going to read Portrait of a Lady.

• Like 8

Now, would anyone like to tell me *why* this book is considered a must-read classic?  I mean, I enjoyed it, but I don't see that it's something all young people need to read in order to be complete, literate human beings.

I feel this way about so many classics! How many there are, and how few are actually must-reads.  

I feel the same way about Portrait of a Lady  :leaving:

ETA: don't get me wrong, I love reading classics, but I don't think too many are must-reads for people under 18.  I get a lot more out of the classics I've read as an adult, for sure. (ducking tomatoes)

• Like 6

I finished Olive Kittridge. It's been a long time since I cried when a book was finished, but I did with this one. Such a beautifully done piece of work.  It is going to stay with me a long time. It is amazing to me how, in the hands of a talented writer, the story of an ill tempered, moody, middle school math teacher can become filled with so much insight into the human condition. At times it felt almost too truthful to bear.

So, now I have to decide where to go next.  I am next in line on the hold list for Redeployment and have been expecting the notice any time now. But I don't know when it is due.  So, do I start another book or give it a couple days...decisions, decisions....

I am tempted to start something else first. I expect Redeployment to cause some tears as well, due to the subject matter. I absolutely did not expect it with Olive Kittridge.

• Like 5

Susan included it in WEM, noting that Hardy is a great "landscape writer", a sentiment with which I agree.  Do all all young people need to read The Return of the Native?  Of course not.  But I for one am a fan of this book in that it illuminated a certain time period and lifestyle within the English countryside. 

Hardy's writing can be breathtakingly beautiful (although saying this reminds me of the Monty Python skit--giggle.)

No NO NO!!!

Terry Pratchett Dead

I am imagining that he had something very witty to say to Death at the very end.

• Like 6

Last night I finished Christmas at Steel Beach (The Night Stalkers) by M. L. Buchman.  It's probably best classified as military romance.  There were a couple of situations in the book that strained credulity, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

"NAME: Gail Miller RANK: Chief Steward MISSION: To win the Admiral Ney Culinary Award for Best Navy Mess

NAME: Sly Stowell RANK: Chief Petty Officer & hovercraft pilot MISSION: To honor the Navy he loves

Gail Miller cares only about cooking the very best food for those who choose to serve. When assigned to the USS Peleliu, the Navy serves her far more than she bargained for.

Sly Stowell’s home aboard the USS Peleliu comes under threat of a changing Navy. He must decide if he can change with it.

When the Night Stalkers take over the ship and international crises call, their commitment and their hearts are tested to the limit. Will they still be there when the time comes to spend Christmas at Steel Beach?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Here's an intriguing post from Tor's site:

Five Theological Fantasies for Ecstatic Atheists by Rachel Hartman

It was posted a couple of days before Terry Pratchett's death but features one of his titles as well as another that is given an honorable mention.  I've read one of the five titles, The Broken Kingdoms, by N. K. Jemison, and enjoyed it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Dd will be so sad. Terry Pratchett was such a wonderful person by all accounts notjust as an author. I keep telling dd I will read one of his books. Picking where to start is daunting because I don't expect to want to read them all but who knows.....

• Like 4

Dd will be so sad. Terry Pratchett was such a wonderful person by all accounts notjust as an author. I keep telling dd I will read one of his books. Picking where to start is daunting because I don't expect to want to read them all but who knows.....

Same place. I want to read his stuff and don't know where to start.

• Like 3

No NO NO!!!

Terry Pratchett Dead

Oh no! I never read anything of his until my IRL book club read Good Omens last month. I was (and still am) considering giving the Disc World books a try. I'm not into either sci-fi or fantasy but I liked Good Omens enough to at least try. Now I feel as though I must read at least one thing he wrote on his own (not as a collaboration).

• Like 4

ETA: don't get me wrong, I love reading classics, but I don't think too many are must-reads for people under 18.  I get a lot more out of the classics I've read as an adult, for sure. (ducking tomatoes)

No tomatoes from me because I agree. Should no young people ever be required to read classics? No, of course not. But I think too many are considered must-reads for people who are too young to appreciate them.

• Like 9

I finished "Olive's Ocean" which was a Newberry Honor book. I was about half way through before I began to enjoy it and this is a good book to read while watching little ones as it's not heavy and the chapters are each about three pages long.

I want to read something lyrical but pickings for books are slim at the moment so we will see what comes next. And I really want to read HC Branner's "Two Minutes of Silence" or LeGuin's "Sea Road".

• Like 6

I feel this way about so many classics! How many there are, and how few are actually must-reads.  

No tomatoes from me because I agree. Should no young people ever be required to read classics? No, of course not. But I think too many are considered must-reads for people who are too young to appreciate them.

:iagree:  And I'll add, dodging more tomatoes, that I distrust those who have decided that some of these books are "classics."  Who really gave them the right to choose.

• Like 4

ETA: don't get me wrong, I love reading classics, but I don't think too many are must-reads for people under 18. I get a lot more out of the classics I've read as an adult, for sure. (ducking tomatoes)

This is where homeschooling provides such wonderful options!

My son's high school reading list contained a number of classics because of how we decided to define his education. Considering that he was an Archaeology major/Classics minor in college, he was naturally drawn to books that others might envision as dull for high school students.

At the same time, I am rather disgusted by some of the books that appeared on his friends' reading lists at the public high school. There were a number of what I call "ugh" books, i.e. stories that seemed so depressing--at least on the surface. Perhaps that is what some see in the classics though!

One of my son's favorite books from high school was Moby Dick. You just never know what will resonate with a teen--maybe even The Return of the Native!

Same place. I want to read his stuff and don't know where to start.

I have only listened to a couple of Pratchetts, all at my son's suggestion. My intro was Hogfather. We had a drive across many states to attend a funeral during the holiday season. Listening to Hogfather in the car as we drove was cathartic! I have listened to it a second time.

It was Jenn who suggested finding a character you like in Discworld and then following that character. I fell in love with the Silver Horde in Interesting Times so the next Pratchett that I will listen to or read will contain them!

• Like 8

I have to admit I didn't know who Terry Pratchett was.   :o   Now I know.  

Last night I finished Book, Line, and Sinker by Jenn McKinlay.  It was pretty good; I liked it enough to put the others in the series on hold at the library.  :)

I've never read The Catcher in the Rye, so when I saw it on the bookshelf at my sister's house the other day I snatched it up.  So far, so good.

And, of course, I'm still working on La Casa.   

• Like 5

My ds is so sad at the news of Terry Pratchett's passing. And, he says, it's especially sad because Pratchett's last book (?), Raising Steam, introduced lots of new potential that could have been used in lots more books & now that won't happen.

For those that haven't read him, I definitely recommend his stuff. I'm not usually into fantasy works either, but his books are brilliant. As already mentioned, you tend to find favorite characters or groups & it's fun to follow them through books. Personally, I love Death, the Wizards, & Tiffany Aching. Ds loves Moist von Lipwig (I haven't read any of the books w/ him in them), Death, the Wizards, & the Watch.

Some of the books I've loved the most: Good Omens (but it is a collaboration w/ Neil Gaiman), Hogfather, Reaper Man, and The Wee Free Men.

ETA: Even though there are something like 40 books in the series, you can really start anywhere. (And, personally, I'd recommend starting somewhere other than the first one, The Colour of Magic, as I don't think he really hit his stride in that book.) The characters & locations weave in & out of the stories, so there's not a big problem with just dropping in anywhere in the series. The one time I'd suggest reading in order is if you want to read the Tiffany Aching books, in which case, her storyline does go in order: The Wee Free Men; A Hat Full of Sky; Wintersmith; and I Shall Wear Midnight.

I love that Death escorts Terry Pratchett on Twitter. I wonder if Pratchett wrote that before he passed? If you are familiar with Death from his books, it's at least a comforting thought that he & Death were meeting up together....

• Like 11

Oh no! I never read anything of his until my IRL book club read Good Omens last month. I was (and still am) considering giving the Disc World books a try. I'm not into either sci-fi or fantasy but I liked Good Omens enough to at least try. Now I feel as though I must read at least one thing he wrote on his own (not as a collaboration).

His books aren't fantasy in the traditional sense of the word, they are a category of their own. They are sort of philosophy and discussions of the human conditions.

My favorite characters are Death (and the Grim Squeaker), Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegles, the Witches, and the Wizards.

I've decided to read Reaper Man in memory

• Like 7

I finished Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers on Sunday, just in under the wire for co-op on Monday.  This was not your Julie Andrews's Mary Poppin's.  I did know this going into the book, but I'll admit to still being surprised.  It's hard to pull away from the movie and just look at the book.  Aly has never seen Mary Poppins the movie so hers was probably the most unbiased opinion, and she liked it well enough.  I liked the children but found it interesting that they loved Mary Poppins as much as they did.  Certainly they saw and did some magical things with her, but her attitude and actions towards them was always abrupt.  Mary Poppins herself was not a favorite.  She was very self-absorbed and showed none of the affection that a good nanny should have towards her children, especially ones that seemed to adore her.  I enjoyed the part about the compass, though I would have liked to have read the original, unrevised version.  I did not like the part about the snake being the King of the Jungle.  In fact, I would have lots to say on that but it is Christian content.  I also did not like it, at all, that Mary Poppins leaves without saying good-bye.  That's kind of a big deal in our house :)  Overall it was OK, I'm certainly not interested in continuing the story, nor will I read it to future grandchildren  :D

Yesterday I finished As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley.  As I have said previously, I adore Flavia!   I kept trying to figure out where this story was going!  Bradley spins some incredible stories, but in the last couple books he has been adding more substance to Flavia.  I love that after the first few books where we are introduced to the precocious child poison prodigy who is very practical and analytical but not very emotional, he has now brought us into a deeper relationship with Flavia and is opening her up.  Her vulnerability in the last couple books has increased, increasing her character to greater depths.   My only complaint with this book (that will keep it from 5 stars) is that I felt just a tad unfinished at the end, like there was still more to tell and wrap up.  Still, I can't wait to see what trouble Flavia gets into next!  GREAT BOOK!  

Favorite Quote:  "Curse this life!  I thought.  And then I remembered the dead body upstairs and I cheered up at once."  :lol:

*01.  As You Wish by Cary Elwes (non fiction)

*02.  The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (January Author, BaW rec, Japan)

*03.  The Princess Bride by William Goldman

*04.  Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman (BaW rec)

*05.  Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (England, February Author, reread)

*06.  Archimedes and the Door Science by Jeanne Bendick (biography, Greece)

*07. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (England, classic)

*08.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling (England, reread)

*09.  A Murder for Her Majesty by Beth Hilgartner (England, reread)

*10.  Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers (England)

*11.  As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust  by Alan Bradley (Canada) 

I am now reading my book based on the cover for here and my IRL book club.

• Like 7

I am reading Flavia as well.  I was a bit afraid of this book as Flavia leaves all that is familiar to her but I am absolutely loving it!  Never before have I enjoyed a series for so long.

Ooh, there's a new one?!  I hadn't heard...

..switching tabs to put a hold on it at the library...

...queue position 6, could be worse.

• Like 7

The tweets announcing Terry Pratchett's passing, with Death greeting him, got me all choked up this morning. I posted the quote with a link to a BBC article announcing his death on my Facebook page, but only one of my friends "got it".  I knew my BaW gang would be huddled together, raising a glass to toast him and his wonderful books. I had to "like" your posts in honor of our shared Discworld love.  I sent a text about it to my college boy and fellow Pratchett fan.  He is out in the Mojave Desert this week, almost totally unplugged from the world, but he happened to have cell service this morning.

My favorite titles are Going Postal, and Guards, Guards, and Hogfather and Reaper Man, well, and so many others. I felt his last 2 books, Raising Steam and Snuff, were his way of saying farewell to Discworld, but my perception came with some experience with Alzheimer's patients, knowing he didn't have long. I love that Stacia's son saw in Raising Steam so much potential for new stories and characters.

• Like 7

No NO NO!!!

Terry Pratchett Dead

I have never read a Terry Pratchett book but due to all of the chatter here about his books I have had one of his books on my TBR pile for a very long time. I feel that I have waited too long.  I am saddened by this news because I know that it has effected many here.

Yesterday I finished As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust by Alan Bradley.  As I have said previously, I adore Flavia!   I kept trying to figure out where this story was going!  Bradley spins some incredible stories, but in the last couple books he has been adding more substance to Flavia.  I love that after the first few books where we are introduced to the precocious child poison prodigy who is very practical and analytical but not very emotional, he has now brought us into a deeper relationship with Flavia and is opening her up.  Her vulnerability in the last couple books has increased, increasing her character to greater depths.   My only complaint with this book (that will keep it from 5 stars) is that I felt just a tad unfinished at the end, like there was still more to tell and wrap up.  Still, I can't wait to see what trouble Flavia gets into next!  GREAT BOOK!  

Favorite Quote:  "Curse this life!  I thought.  And then I remembered the dead body upstairs and I cheered up at once."  :lol:

I agree, Angel.  It ended too abruptly.  It was as if he got tired of writing it and so he ended it as quickly as he could.  I was also disappointed by the ending. I didn't expect it to end like that.  That being said though,  I still enjoyed the book.

• Like 7