Menu

Horse Movie

Plink

My 12yo daughter is planning a sleepover and wants to show a horse-themed movie to her friends, but everything we seem to come up with has scenes that will frighten her more sensitive friends.  Anyone know of a fun horse movie without death or beating?

Maybe National Velvet, Seabiscuit, or Secretariat?

Maybe some documentary about horses? Maybe about training Lipizzaners?

ETA: How about one of the dvds from the Cavalia &/or Odysseo shows? (Like Cirque du Soleil, but with horses.) We've seen both shows live & they are very beautiful, nothing scary or bad in them.

Dvds: http://boutique.cavalia.net/products/cd-dvd-book/

If you're not familiar w/ the shows, here are some overview videos:

http://www.cavalia.net/en/cavalia-show/videos

http://www.cavalia.net/en/odysseo/videos

Secretariat would be great. So would National Velvet and the Black Stallion.

War Horse would also be good; there are some *tense* moments, but no real trauma, and it has a spectacular ending.

If you can find it, they might enjoy Miracle of the White Stallions. It's a little dry, but...Lippizans!

• Like 2

I second Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.

National Velvet would also be good.

My own personal favorite horse movies are The Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River. These might be too much for a super sensitive viewer - especially the sequel. Common Sense Media has reviews on all 4 of these if you want to look at them closer.

• Like 1

The Man from Snowy River

I thought of that one too, but it had been so long since I had seen it, I couldn't really remember if it would be ok or not. (I saw it in the theaters when it was originally released, if that gives you an idea of how long it's been. Lol.)

• Like 1

The original National Velvet, hands down.  I would say Black Stallion, but it does start with a shipwreck an obviously folks drown (not seen, though).  Secretatiat may have some adult themes (the jockey before hired on to ride S. goes through some rough patches). 

Spirit, the animated film, is good, too - note it begins with grapic animation of main character being born, so maybe not....

I second Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.

National Velvet would also be good.

My own personal favorite horse movies are The Man from Snowy River and Return to Snowy River. These might be too much for a super sensitive viewer - especially the sequel. Common Sense Media has reviews on all 4 of these if you want to look at them closer.

The Man from Snowy River is my favorite movie.  I even bought the soundtrack on CD about a thousand years ago and still play it regularly.  The only language to which anyone might object is one of use of "bastard" when the brothers are arguing.  No one gets naked.  Of course the dad dies in the opening scenes, but there is no blood.  Horses are never abused. 

MFSR trivia:  For years, a clip from the soundtrack was played regularly when professional golf was being televised.  It was the fade music before they went to commercials.

• Like 1

The Man from Snowy River is my favorite movie.  I even bought the soundtrack on CD about a thousand years ago and still play it regularly.  The only language to which anyone might object is one of use of "bastard" when the brothers are arguing.  No one gets naked.  Of course the dad dies in the opening scenes, but there is no blood.  Horses are never abused. 

MFSR trivia:  For years, a clip from the soundtrack was played regularly when professional golf was being televised.  It was the fade music before they went to commercials.

If you watch MFSR, you have to watch it until the credits finish rolling. :-)

• Like 1

Secretariat, hands down.  I rarely watch movies more than once anymore, but I've seen this one 5-6 times.  There's nothing in it that's questionable (unless very small things like one character referencing a monkey's butt or one character with buxom girls on his arm saying they must like his fat wallet would be a problem; both of those incidences last 1-2 seconds), but there's a very good storyline, a bit of laugh-out-loud humor, some great subtle humor, and a great ending. 

My husband and I had fond memories of Man from Snowy River (we had music from the soundtrack in our wedding), so watched it with our kids one night.  Wish we hadn't -- too much kissing and some implied/suspected adultery with the main characters.  Seabiscuit is pretty good, but there's a scene with prostitutes that we skip through.  I really highly recommend Secretariat.  Oh, Dreamer is another good one with Kurt Russell and Dakota Fanning. 

I just love Sylvester with Melissa Gilbert. Amazon has it for purchase. I would watch it first since you mention sensitive 12 year olds, as there are two short scenes that I can think of that might be an issue with super sensitive kids and I can't find it listed on kidsinmind. It is rated PG and is from 1985 when ratings weren't as strict as they are now, so there may be some things I have forgotten as it has been many years since I last saw it.

Generally, it is a story about a 16ish year old girl who sees the good in a harshly-treated high-spirited horse and forms an incredible bond with him. It's a real feel-good movie and I shed some (happy) tears when I saw it. 

The Man from Snowy River is my favorite movie.  I even bought the soundtrack on CD about a thousand years ago and still play it regularly.  The only language to which anyone might object is one of use of "bastard" when the brothers are arguing.  No one gets naked.  Of course the dad dies in the opening scenes, but there is no blood.  Horses are never abused

My horses would highly object to living rough in the Australian bush without the benefit of in-stall fans and cool water on summer days, as well as having to, well, work for their dinner. Oh, and cliffs. They're not running down any cliffs. Or anything that looks like a hill, really. So, they tell me they highly disagree with the bolded statement. :lol:

• Like 2

My horses would highly object to living rough in the Australian bush without the benefit of in-stall fans and cool water on summer days, as well as having to, well, work for their dinner. Oh, and cliffs. They're not running down any cliffs. Or anything that looks like a hill, really. So, they tell me they highly disagree with the bolded statement. :lol:

Ha! Your horses are wusses. Tell 'em I said so.

• Like 2

Um... so Flicka'  - a super intense mountain lion attack takes the horse down!  Sure the horse lives, but our poor sensitive friend wouldn't sleep for a week after that.  Thought I'd warn others who were looking at this thread for sensitive kids.

We are enjoying the movie preview process - what little girl wouldn't have fun with weekly horse movies!   I have a feeling she is going to want more sleep-over parties if she figures out that she gets to pre-view the movies.