Menu

My kids are worried about the coming cyclone

Jasperstone

4 Severe Tropical Cyclone 225 - 279 km/h 

Very destructive winds. Significant roofing and structural damage. Many caravans destroyed and blown away. Dangerous airborne debris. Widespread power failures.

5 Severe Tropical Cyclone More than 280 km/h 

Extremely destructive winds. Extremely dangerous with widespread destruction.

Ohhh, crap! Okay, was hoping it went to a 10 rating! No such luck...5 is the highest!

Dd12 is making her bed in our room already.

I have friends up your way preparing also. I hope you all stay safe.

Do you know how close it's likely to come to you, Jasperstone? Got a plan?

How far up the coast are they?

It's apparently hitting here, but they always exaggerate so not sure. I'm thinking it should be fine here.

No, only to jump in the car and flee if it's extreme.

Is it Cyclone Marcia ?

It doesn't sound great :(

Stay safe and cuddle those kids! Have you got a good shelter ?

That's it!

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that *Marcia* from the Brady Bunch is here on live reality TV ( though in Africa) and this cyclone is named that? Lol!!!!

Yes, will do. I've already told ds 5 to come into our bed if he wakes up. Like I said before, dd 12 has already set her bed up in our room. And ds 9 doesn't appear to be frazzled by it yet.

Now get this for another weird thing happening. Our real estate agent texted through before (7.55pm) asking for an inspection tomorrow at 11am. Hmmm... I said as long as its still standing. He doesn't get my humour though.

So, now I'm cleaning.... I don't think I can actually comprehend the potential danger and damage this cyclone could do....

It's apparently hitting here, but they always exaggerate so not sure. I'm thinking it should be fine here.

I don't know anyone too far North. Mostly friends of friends.

Friends in Brissie are not too concerned. Just keeping an eye on reports yk? Oh, and expecting floods more than anything.

Have you seen the Storm Watchers game on the BOM website? Dd enjoyed it a few years ago when we had some hype about a cyclone further north in the state (we just got wind here). It's about storm preparedness for kids.

http://www.bom.gov.au/storm_watchers_game/

Stay safe! We lived through a cyclone in another country. The houses were all brick so the wind didn't do much damage but there was a lot of flooding that caused a lot of damage. At its highest the water reached 1.5m in our walled yard. Luckily the (double story) house was raised and we only got 30cm inside and could go upstairs. It was certainly an interesting experience!

I hope all is well at your house and you are happily snoozing.

I woke up happy as we only had really heavy rain throughout night. Then, I popped on the news was deflated to hear that it hasn't arrived yet! And it's definitely a grade 5! I'm still trying to find out when it's going to hit us on the Gold Coast etc...

That's it!

Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that *Marcia* from the Brady Bunch is here on live reality TV ( though in Africa) and this cyclone is named that? Lol!!!!

Yes, will do. I've already told ds 5 to come into our bed if he wakes up. Like I said before, dd 12 has already set her bed up in our room. And ds 9 doesn't appear to be frazzled by it yet.

Each time I hear it mentioned a little voice goes "Marcia, Macia, Marcia!"

Of course they wouldn't name one 'Jan' would they?

Praying for your safety. If you haven't already you may want to fill tubs, pots and pans with water. Assume that at best you will have a boil water notice for a while, if utilities are not completely out. What is your elevation? Hurricane Katrina was a category 3 when it hit but the storm surge and flooding was a higher category. The storm surge was by far the most destructive aspect. I would try to get 30-40 feet above sea level if possible.

If it's really hitting where you are, please make a serious plan for the safety of your family.  By the time it gets bad, it will be too late to jump in the car and flee.   That kind of weather can be deadly, in ever so many ways.  Take it seriously.  Do you have friends elsewhere you could visit for a few days?    

If it's really hitting where you are, please make a serious plan for the safety of your family.  By the time it gets bad, it will be too late to jump in the car and flee.   That kind of weather can be deadly, in ever so many ways.  Take it seriously.  Do you have friends elsewhere you could visit for a few days?    

If it's really hitting where you are, please make a serious plan for the safety of your family. By the time it gets bad, it will be too late to jump in the car and flee. That kind of weather can be deadly, in ever so many ways. Take it seriously. Do you have friends elsewhere you could visit for a few days?

We will have some time before it moves down the coast. So we can assess it as soon as it hits the first town in its path.

No one that isn't on the Coast as well.

Praying for your safety. If you haven't already you may want to fill tubs, pots and pans with water. Assume that at best you will have a boil water notice for a while, if utilities are not completely out. What is your elevation? Hurricane Katrina was a category 3 when it hit but the storm surge and flooding was a higher category. The storm surge was by far the most destructive aspect. I would try to get 30-40 feet above sea level if possible.

Wow!

And we are having high tide!

My brain can't seem to take the enormity of it..... I'm still feeling it's going to be fine....

We have at least 6- 12 hours to go. They keep changing the arrival time.

We are glued to the news.

Jasperstone, here's my list of tasks to prep for serious weather.  Maybe some of this will apply to your situation.  Most of it is things that need to be done eventually anyway, it's just good to get them up to date before a storm.  If I get started a few days ahead of time, then I avoid long lines and empty shelves, which keeps my stress level low.  We've been lucky to avoid any serious problems from local storms, but it's good to be prepared. 

--I clear the yard of sticks and other debris.  Keep an eye out for things that would blow around, like trash cans, and either take them inside or tie them down.  Remember that they can get damaged by the wind, but also that they can be blown into other things and damage those things.

--I fill our cars up with gas.  This way we can hop in the car and go if need be, either to another location, or in search of emergency services if need be.

--I buy a few flats of bottled water.

-- I make sure our phones and computers are fully charged.

--I make sure we have batteries for our lanterns, our flashlights, and a radio, and wicks and oil for our oil lamps.

--I put together a small bag of clothes and toiletries for each person, in case we decide to go elsewhere for the duration.  I might add a bedroll, depending on the circumstances.

--I make sure dishes and laundry are clean, in case we lose power or decide to leave.  

--I consider the food we have on hand, in case we lose power.  I cook up fresh things, and might make muffins or other easy-to-eat, easy-travel items.

--I have dh check our sump pump to be sure it's in good working order, and I inquire about the status of our extended family's shared generator.

--I keep a bit of cash on hand, as often when the power goes out the credit card machines are down which can make it hard to get gas, etc.

--I think through whatever else would be needed for me to stay at home for several days (so I don't have to go out in the bad weather), or to lose power for several days, or to leave home to seek safer shelter elsewhere.  Again, most of this prep is things that need to be done anyway.  It doesn't hurt to have a full tank of gas, a tidy yard, my dishes and laundry caught up, some peanut butter in the pantry and some fresh-baked muffins.  We can then settle in and enjoy the time together (assuming we don't need to leave.)

Wind damage can include power outages, falling trees, flooding, and in the worst cases the wind can tear apart buildings.  

If you are in an area where they are suggesting you evacuate (or they might suggest it), take it very seriously.  

Jasperstone, here's my list of tasks to prep for serious weather.  Maybe some of this will apply to your situation.  Most of it is things that need to be done eventually anyway, it's just good to get them up to date before a storm.  If I get started a few days ahead of time, then I avoid long lines and empty shelves, which keeps my stress level low.  We've been lucky to avoid any serious problems from local storms, but it's good to be prepared. 

--I clear the yard of sticks and other debris.  Keep an eye out for things that would blow around, like trash cans, and either take them inside or tie them down.  Remember that they can get damaged by the wind, but also that they can be blown into other things and damage those things.

--I fill our cars up with gas.  This way we can hop in the car and go if need be, either to another location, or in search of emergency services if need be.

--I buy a few flats of bottled water.

-- I make sure our phones and computers are fully charged.

--I make sure we have batteries for our lanterns, our flashlights, and a radio, and wicks and oil for our oil lamps.

--I put together a small bag of clothes and toiletries for each person, in case we decide to go elsewhere for the duration.  I might add a bedroll, depending on the circumstances.

--I make sure dishes and laundry are clean, in case we lose power or decide to leave.  

--I consider the food we have on hand, in case we lose power.  I cook up fresh things, and might make muffins or other easy-to-eat, easy-travel items.

--I have dh check our sump pump to be sure it's in good working order, and I inquire about the status of our extended family's shared generator.

--I keep a bit of cash on hand, as often when the power goes out the credit card machines are down which can make it hard to get gas, etc.

--I think through whatever else would be needed for me to stay at home for several days (so I don't have to go out in the bad weather), or to lose power for several days, or to leave home to seek safer shelter elsewhere.  Again, most of this prep is things that need to be done anyway.  It doesn't hurt to have a full tank of gas, a tidy yard, my dishes and laundry caught up, some peanut butter in the pantry and some fresh-baked muffins.  We can then settle in and enjoy the time together (assuming we don't need to leave.)

Wind damage can include power outages, falling trees, flooding, and in the worst cases the wind can tear apart buildings.  

If you are in an area where they are suggesting you evacuate (or they might suggest it), take it very seriously.  

:iagree: this especially the bolded.

First: Check the posted evacuation areas. In the US you will know if you have to leave and where shelters are located. I can't imagine that Australia is different.

If you are not in an evacuation zone, don't leave. Really, the traffic jams can be deadly (google Hurricane Rita).

If you will lose power, make sure you've got enough water and easy to prep food on hand for about 3 days. If the stores are sold out of bottled water, fill every pot you've got for drinking and your bathtub and any extra trash cans or large buckets to flush with. Once that's done, try to get flashlights and batteries, or even better, a solar powered lantern or even those lawn lighting sticks that are solar powered. If you can't get any of those, get some candles and matches. Fill your cars with gas if at all possible. Leave one in the garage, park one on the street if you have two. Hopefully, one will not be blocked after the storm. Make sure you have a radio of some kind to hear the news updates. When the storm passes your area, stay in an interior room on the ground floor as far as possible from any windows.

We went two weeks without power after Hurricane Ike which was a cat 5 storm at landfall. It wasn't fun, but it was doable. The electricity was restored to our town center and our supermarkets within 2 days so we could get food.

Stay safe! 

Has it been a long time(like a generation or more) since a major cyclone hit your area? Or have you moved into the area and there has not been one since you arrived? I am kind of getting the impression you have not experienced one before. :grouphug:

Yeah, I don't think there's been one for 50 years. If there has, they would only have been be small ones.

Hope all went well. Our news barely covered it, but did mention some coastal houses were destroyed. I'm assuming yours wasn't coastal. Nonetheless, I'm looking for an update when you get a chance (knowing power might be out for a bit).

We are coastal, but further down. So, Marcia had fizzled out to nothing more than wind and rain.

No, blackouts or anything except bananas being $5.99 per kilo!!!! Lol...

They come from up North. So you would think it wasn't affected that soon. I mean the ones they have already to be priced like that. I suppose they are predicting the shortage.