Luanne

Newspaper Poll  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get the newspaper?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
    • Other
  2. 2. What is your favorite part of the newspaper to read?

• Sports
    • World News
    • Comics
    • Local News
    • Obituaries
    • Want Ads
    • Other

We get the paper. I skim the headlines, I flip through the local section, read stories that hit my interest (dh does not keep up with local issues at all), then I read the advice columns (ask Amy, tell me about it, and miss manners). If I have time I do a puzzle. I skim sports. Once a week the paper has expanded local, health and food sections on different days. I look at those. I usually find some cool science article in the health/science section.

We've discussed dropping delivery. Now, if you get home delivery you get full access online too, so dh does not want to drop home delivery.

We don't subscribe to a newspaper.  We tried years ago when we first moved to this house, but for some reason the delivery person had extreme difficulty getting a paper to us, even though our house is in a nice subdivision with well marked streets and we have house numbers prominently displayed on the mailbox and the front door.  But when I do read the paper my favorite part is the letters to the editor.  I like getting a peak into how the local people think about issues.  Maybe that somehow relates to my love of message boards. ;)

I voted other. I do not get our local paper, which I keep expecting to go belly up.  But I do have a digital subscription to NYT and I read that multiple times a day. My kindle also has a 6 month free subscription to The Washington Post, which is a good paper, but I won't be continuing it when it expires. I am already paying enough $$ for NYT and I can't really justify another subscription.

We used to subscribe to the newspaper, but with the increasing cost plus the fact it mostly went unread (dh and I would read it at work) we canceled years ago. We both use the Internet, and dh always watches the nightly news plus PBS news shows. I would always read local news then world news; dh always goes straight to the sports section, newspaper or Internet.

We had the closest real city's newspaper for years, but the amount of actual news became smaller and smaller, ads increased, international coverage was negligible. It was just a colossal waste of paper, and we finally pulled the plug. Have not missed it. In order to be informed, we read the Economist anyway.

(I had made the mistake of subscribing to our town's newspaper when I moved here, because I thought that would be the way to find out about things happening... well, yes, after they had happened. That paper was even more of a joke.)

My favorite part is the coupons and sale fliers.  We bought the Sunday/Thursday paper for years and then I canceled.  We weren't really reading it so it seemed like a waste.  Then suddenly they started sending me the Sunday paper for free.  That's been going on for about a year.  So I get the coupons and throw the rest out.  I tried telling them, but they just keep delivering it.  So..okay...

The news is generally old.  The articles are lame.  There is pretty much no international coverage.  They focus only on sports we aren't interested in. 

We get the paper from the major city about 50 miles away and the local paper for our county.  I like the investigative reporting of the big paper, as well as the editorial content and the comics and advice column.  I like the local paper for information about closer events.  I enjoy having the actual paper to read, instead of only reading online.

My mother has considered cancelling her subscription, but she doesn't read the news online like I do sometimes.  She likes to know what is going on in the world.  She also watches the news at least twice a day.  My daughter likes the comics the best.

We haven't been able to get the newspaper here yet since we moved in sept. However, we've had 2 Sunday papers so far and they're so small there's no real point. Just a few sections, 2 store ads (which can be found online easily), and that's about it. I'd prefer one that had inserts for coupons, but this one doesn't.

I answered Other because during football season I like the college and pro football articles.  The rest of the year, I don't usually follow the sports sections unless there is something big going on with the local NBA team.  

My other favorite section is the Lifestyle section which covers everything from health & fitness to home improvement and gardening.

I replied "other" because our son is a newspaper carrier, so we get a copy every day as a benefit of his job, but we wouldn't subscribe to a daily paper if it wasn't for his job. They do have a "weekend edition" that I'd probably subscribe to (Thurs, Fri and Sat). We live in a small-ish town, so I read it mostly for the local news and events.

We stopped getting the WPost just a few months ago. My husband now reads it online.

I really miss it, even though I didn't seem to get to it.

My dog misses it, too--he used to go get it with dh every morning!

They were just charging so much, and when we suspended service for vacation, they still charged us for that time, even though we didn't get the paper!

I subscribe to a local daily and two local weeklies.  I love newspapers.

That said, my weeklies only focus on local stuff.  The daily covers regional and state news, some national news, minimal international, . For the latter I turn to the BBC and NPR.

ETA:  I skip the sports section.  I am completely indifferent to sports.

My newspaper habits are slightly embarrassing. I first scan the front page. Then I peruse the local news. I completely skip sports. But I have a hard time starting my day without reading the lifestyle section, specifically the horoscope/celebrity birthdays/Dear Abby. I get any real news from NPR, usually before I read it in the paper.