Menu

My Homemade Christmas Ornament for my Wife (Dog Content)

Spy Car

So this summer we got an 8 week old Vizsla (Hungarian Pointer) puppy. His name is Chester. The whole family (me included) is in love with the dog. My wife adores him.

She also loves collecting Christmas ornaments that commemorate the special times in our lives. So I was looking and looking to see if I could find a "Vizsla" ornament to give her as a gift this year. But nothing I saw was really special. I wanted something special.

So despite not being "crafty" I decided to make something myself. 

What do you think?

Bill

Fabulous!  What did you make the ornament out of?  It almost looks like a pretzel!

It basically is a pretzel :D

I figured im not "crafty," but I can cook. So I made it from a combination of dough and paper mache. Then I gave it an egg white wash and baked it.

Bill

Love it and the dog! We have a beagle mutt and I've always thought she's part Vizsla. She has a Vizsla's body and personality with a beagles coloring and ears.

Believe it or not I know a Vizsla x Beagle who come to our park. She's elderly, and starting to get a white face (which is typical of Vizsla's). You can definitely see the Vizsla in her (the Beagle not so much). She is chocolate brown not red. She's a sweet dog.

Bill

You did a terrific job!

We have some doggie ornaments from years ago (sigh). They are four or five inch Milk Bone type treats. The dog's name was written on the treat with black paint, then the entire thing was covered in polyurethane. A little screw in the back holds a ribbon for hanging. Those dogs have been gone 15 and 12 years...I still love having those ornaments on the tree.

I hope your wife thinks the same with your ornament a decade or three from now.

It basically is a pretzel :D

I figured im not "crafty," but I can cook. So I made it from a combination of dough and paper mache. Then I gave it an egg white wash and baked it.

Bill

Not only are you an artist, but a resourceful one at that! Terrific ornament, handsome dog, and I predict a very happy gift recipient! Well done, Bill.

So do you also offer "Christmas gift counseling for non-sentimental DH's" - perhaps as a side business? :)

Before you think its a good idea you should know I'm the guy who got his wife a vacuum clearer as her wedding present and a new washer-dryer combo as the "baby bauble" :D

So...I dunno. 

Bill