Menu

What is your long term goal for...

I am just finishing up my first year...our plan has always been to take it year by year. One of the reasons we decided to homeschool was to maintain some continuity in our children's education. My husband is military and we move every 2 or 3 years. I moves a lot as a child and I definitly feel like my education suffered because of it...I don't want that for my kids. We should be finished with our service in about 5 or 6 years (hopefully!) Really I can't see putting my kids into PS before High School but you never know...

We have always planned to go through high school, but with the caveat that "man proposes, God disposes." There is a classical high school getting off the ground fairly close to us that, if it fulfills its promise, I would actually (:eek:) consider sending my dd to when she gets to that age. But for now, we're in for the long haul with homeschooling.

for my son, without paying tens of thousands of dollars for the really pretty good pair of private schools here in my area. If I feel I ever reach a point where he can get a better education from someone else, I'll do it.

I do hope, along the way, to delay exposure to materialism and stereotyping and bad grammar. I am not terribly worried about teaching ethics. My parents did NONE of this....we just learned by example, and I have to say, having been in the world half a century now, I have one of the most honest and ethical families on earth. I'm terribly grateful for them, too.

Anyone remember that Jackson Browne line "when you have a real friend somewhere, suddenly all the others are so much easier to bear". For me it is "when you have honest and reliable family, all the fishy business the world is easier to bear."

Long-term goal for homeschooling?

To develop whole persons to be both intellectually discerning and humanly flexible, tough-minded and openhearted; to be responsive to the new and feel responsible to keep God's will in the forefront of it all. I want to raise adults that are able to filter through all the trappings of this world, see beauty magnified through the filth and know that their main purpose in this life is to serve through Jesus' teachings.

It would be nice to have the kids home or dual enrolled at college for high school but the Lord might have different plans. I'm preparing for that route, whether it happens, only God knows.

We started homeschooling because we couldn't find a good fit for Calvin in school (very bright kid with dyspraxia and motor skills delays). After that, we continued because we liked that our children had time to develop themselves: lots of exercise, reading time, time to discover who they were. Now we homeschool because the local schooling options are not attractive and because we like the togetherness of this kind of family life.

I intend for the boys to go to school for at least two years before university. They are double outsiders, growing up abroad and not going to school. I'd like to reduce that a little before they are thrown into college.

Laura

I've been committed to homeschool through high school since the beginning (2003). Barring a major illness or catastrope in our life, I plan to graduate all 3 boys. That's not say I don't have days where I think about sending them off to school, but in the end, I know that I can't go through with it. My DH has the same conviction. It's great that we're on the same page, and he's here to encourage me when I need it.

What is your long-term goal for homeschooling?

Do you plan on going through high school?

At what point will you determine when to consider making a change?

We are on a year to year basis, but I realize now more than ever that I would like to continue through high school.

Our first year home schooling neither my husband nor I had a clue.... he was scared and gave me 1 year to prove it could be done. That was 13 years ago. Yeah team!

I will not ever go on record that I am the sharpest tool in the shed ... nor always an expert at anything.... but I am willing to do the things I need to, to accomplish our goals.... and those have changed over the years as the kids grow and mature…. Or not.....

My kids are not math or science geniuses.... but they are articulate (for the most part) can hold an intelligent conversation with adults and love the Lord. They have ideas and ideals.... my son is finishing up High school at a local Community college 25 credits short of his AA. My 15 year old is an older 9th grader.... but she is in the top of her class *Ü* also plans to go to CC for her last 2 years of HS. We are not sure if she will pass her asset test in 11th grade but we are trying like the dickens to help her accomplish that goal. My youngest... well she just wants to bake, cook and live at home with mom and dad forever.... but then she is only 11. *Ü*

Home schooling is not always the easiest choice.... but... it has been and is a rewarding one.... and the rewards are not always seen.... they come out slowly sometimes....maybe not even for years to come.

I think for us... if we did put our kids in school, it would 9th grade. I would never put my 6th, 7th or 8th grade child in PS during such an age.... I only say this because I have 2 teens and a tween.... and it has been in our experience a very formative time for them... it really is....emotionally and spiritually speaking for us.

Making the choice to go the distance isn’t easy.....but I also feel if I allowed myself an out (mentally saying year to year) I may have put my son in PS when things got tough on us both....and it did about 3rd grade! So far so good... I haven’t lost one yet... this June.... 1 down... 2 to go!

Putting your/our children in PS is not always the worst thing to happen to them either…. We just lived in a district that was bad…. When a teacher says try to put them in another school… it must be bad…. So I felt I had no choice when I looked into it… and between that teacher and other divine appointments I had that summer…. I knew in my heart my kids should be home.

We are all different…. So what ever you decide with your husband…. Have confidence in your decision…. You and he are the only 2 who really have your kids best interest at heart. Take courage in that thought...

My hope is you find peace in your decision!!:)

sorry if that was a ramble....

I intend for the boys to go to school for at least two years before university. They are double outsiders, growing up abroad and not going to school. I'd like to reduce that a little before they are thrown into college.

Laura

I know, Laura, that you're looking at the UK system rather than the American system, and the options available may be different. I will say that for my oldest "double outsider" as you've termed it, homeschooling combined with dual-enrollment in college classes back here in the USA was a better way to go than enrollment in our local American public high school. She actually found more acceptance as a TCK who is also a gifted student within the homeschool community here than she did from public-schooled peers she met in community activities.

Thanks - that's really good input.

We are planning on a selective private school and will look very carefully into its suitability. There are not that many home educators in the UK and it's extremely rare to HE for the last two years of school, so there wouldn't be any community to be accepted into at that age.

I'll definitely keep your thoughts in mind though and think hard about the best situation.

Laura

That's a hard question. I think regardless of the answer you should make choices to prepare the kids for the long haul. Most days I feel like I could hold up on my end, but my oldest is 7. I can't imagine the person he will be at 17; my mind just can't wrap itself around 3 teenage boys here at home. I feel like I can't imagine the mom I will be then, and I can't make decisions for her (the future version of me, who is hopefully much wiser than this me).

I have a son who has special needs. If it ever appears his needs are greater than what I can offer him here, I will outsource if/when it feels necessary.

There are so many circumstances beyond my control, but I can commit to continuing for as long as it works. And my faith really won't allow me to believe that God feels differently about homeschool parents than parents who send their kids to school, but I suppose that's a personal factor. ;)

I am starting to relax and trust the journey a little more. Boy, that makes a huge difference.

Thanks - that's really good input.

We are planning on a selective private school and will look very carefully into its suitability. There are not that many home educators in the UK and it's extremely rare to HE for the last two years of school, so there wouldn't be any community to be accepted into at that age.

I'll definitely keep your thoughts in mind though and think hard about the best situation.

Laura

Hopefully, being a selective private will be a plus in the character of and level of intellectual stimulation from the peer group. I would try to discern some of the deeper aspects of the culture of the school with respect to acceptance of newcomers in general and whether they've any experience with those with diverse cultural experiences.

In our case, our only viable high school option, for reasons of distance, would have been the local semi-rural public high school- waaaaayyyyy too wrapped up in sports to support the academically inclined student. That's not to diss everything about the school. Its culture simply wouldn't have been a good fit for my dd.

I know the process of coming to a decision on when to move to the UK has occupied a lot of your brain cells- I remember other posts of yours on the topic. When the time comes, I hope it is a smooth transition for your family. Ours was not so smooth, though I tried hard to anticipate and prepare for the challenges of moving to a country our children had not lived in for over 10 years. I'm glad those early days after repatriation are long past!

Hopefully, being a selective private will be a plus in the character of and level of intellectual stimulation from the peer group. I would try to discern some of the deeper aspects of the culture of the school with respect to acceptance of newcomers in general and whether they've any experience with those with diverse cultural experiences.

The school we are looking at (this week - who knows what it will be a month from now) was originally a girls' school and still has about 2/3 girls. Although girls can be pretty bitchy, at least there will not be a jock atmosphere. The school also takes overseas boarders, many from Asia, so internationalism should be build into the student body.

I know the process of coming to a decision on when to move to the UK has occupied a lot of your brain cells- I remember other posts of yours on the topic. When the time comes, I hope it is a smooth transition for your family. Ours was not so smooth, though I tried hard to anticipate and prepare for the challenges of moving to a country our children had not lived in for over 10 years. I'm glad those early days after repatriation are long past!

If you have any other tips to give I'm eager to hear them. There's a great line (well, actually a pretty terrible line) from Keats: "My ear is open like a greedy shark".

Laura

After I completed my first year of homeschooling, I thought I would go all the way and graduate all four of mine. After struggling the last year and a half, I'm not as sure. I'm taking it year by year now. I have great admiration for those who go the distance and have more children than I do.

It's been difficult for me to devote the time needed to homeschool 4, take care of the house and teach 3 outside classes, etc... I considered putting my 12 year old in a public/private school setting next year for 7th grade. My oldest son is wonderful, helpful and has a great attitude. He's not the problem. I want to do a good job and not short change his schooling. Unfortunately, I'm starting to drop some balls this year. To be candid, I'm a bit worn out and nervous about handling material at a level higher than 6th, with the exception of literature.:o

So, dh and I prayed for several months about where my oldest should be next year. After receiving no sure answer and just as uncertain about what I should do (prayer, discussions with older homeschool moms, asking my 12yr old his desires), I asked God to give dh a dream about what to do with my oldest next year. I didn't tell anyone, including dh, about this "fleece-like request" because I knew it's a little out there spiritually, and I'm not 100% comfortable with this type of thing. I'm only aware of Gideon in the Bible doing it and being chastised for his lack of faith in making such a request. In otherwords, I'm not recommending or advocating throwing out fleeces. However, Dh rarely has a dream that he recalls (only a handful during 17 years of marriage--I think he needs sleep apnea testing), so I thought if he did get a dream about our 12yr old's schooling then it would be a type of miracle and give us a definite answer. Weeks later, dh had a dream about our oldest in a school dormitory setting with small ceilings and doorways and narrow halls littered with trash. It was a dark dream and my dh was concerned in the dream about our son being there alone in such a dark and dirty place. When dh told me about his dream, he felt that our oldest should continue to be a home with his 3 brothers next year. I was so astonished that I forgot to tell dh about my "fleece" prayer request. It wasn't until our care group asked us about this topic that I revealed what I did to a flabbergasted dh.

SO...I'll definitely be homeschooling four next year and praying a lot for the LORD to show me what to do and how to handle it with the fruits of the Spirit still in operation. I need mentors, which is the reason why, despite my busy life, I returned to these forums recently after a hiatus. I hope to glean wisdom from many of you.

Jen

formally Jen4b

mom of 4 active young men ages 6, 8, 10, and 12

What is your long-term goal for homeschooling? Give my children excellent education in a Christian home.

Do you plan on going through high school? Yes, we are going to homeschool through high school and graduate our children ourselves.

At what point will you determine when to consider making a change? None at all.

Me, too, kalanamak! If I can find a private highschool--close to home <ha>--that offers languages (my son studies Latin and German) as well as the time he needs to prepare for hockey and baseball (he plays both at travel levels, and will be one of the two starting goalies for our state team this year--even though he's a first-year Bantam)...with NO HOMEWORK. Unfortunately, the hockey boys have seen to it that my son is exposed to materialism--they're all attached to their cell phones and IPODs. The good news is that the boys he chooses for friends are the ones I like (the Christian-schooled boys, the boys with moms who stay home and care for their families...)

I've always planned to homeschool through high school and continue to do so. If I see, at some point, that the Lord has other plans for ds then I will have to follow that lead. So....I always plan for high school, but I never say never, because there are a lot of things that can happen that would take control out of my hands (for instance, serious health issues).