Menu

I need an idea for sweet potatoes

strange_girl

My two dishes to bring to the big family Thanksgiving this year are jellied salad and a sweet potato dish. I've got the jellied salad covered, but it can't think what to do with the sweet potatoes, other than just mash them with butter and cinnamon. We have to transport them an hour away, and is not sure how that method would hold/reheat.

Anyone have any great sweet potato recipes that travel well? A couple of relatives are allergic to nuts, so I can't make any of the yummy casseroles with pecans that I've seen either :(

I'm almost thinking a sweet potato soup, maybe. Thanks for any ideas!

Happy Thanksgiving to all ;)

my daughter is roasting some (I've been informed she's into roasted vegetables right now), and I'm making good, old fashioned, southern candied sweet potatoes.  I've always relied on someone else to bring them - and they've generally been unappetizingly different. (with lots left over.)  these have no nuts.  and no *marshmallow*!

(I'm also doing southern green beans.  I've missed them.)

I'm trying to decide what to do with sweet potatoes this year too - I'm contemplating this idea from Alton Brown: 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe.html

or this: 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/smoked-chile-scalloped-sweet-potatoes-recipe.html

Slightly different takes on the usual sweet potato dishes.

This sounds like a really strange recipe, but it is so good! Last time I made it, I didn't bother stuffing the potato skins. I mashed up all the sweet potato and spread it in a casserole dish, then topped it with the goat cheese and roasted grapes.

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/01/roasted-grape-goat-cheese-honey-stuffed-sweet-potatoes/

Lana

Pioneer Woman's Soul Sweet Potatoes recipe (online) is very close to my grandmother's. I usually leave out the pecans or do half and half. Obviously that wouldn't work with a nut allergy, but it works just fine leaving them out entirely. It travels well too and is fine at room temp.

My mom's sweet potatoes call for mashing up the cooked potatoes along with a can of  crushed pineapple (hold back some of the juice so that it doesn't get too wet; you can always add more if needed), some butter, and brown sugar. A little salt. No recipe. We just eyeball it. We top it with mini marshmallows and heat under the broiler until they turn toasty brown (watch every second to prevent burning). You could easily leave the marshmallows off if you are a no-marshmallow family. 

How about:

coat a baking sheet with a thin layer of oil

cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2" cubes

roast with cinnamon, salt, and pepper sprinkled over the top

stir often so they crisp on all sides but don't burn

dump cooked potatoes into a small, preheated crockpot

wrap the heated crockpot in a towel to preserve heat on the way to the party

I don't normally like sweet potatoes, but this sounds interesting. Can you share the recipe?

Sure.

I'm basically using this recipe, except with less garlic (I couldn't find my garlic press), caramelized onions with the topping, and some smoked paprika added. I've also, copying some other recipes I found online, put a little blue cheese in between the layers of sweet potatoes.

I've made twice baked sweet potatoes with mostly the same ingredients before (less cream, more bacon), but this is less work.

Alternatively, I always enjoy a sweet potato with a squeeze of lime juice over it. Sweet potato, lime juice, butter - yum! There's nothing wrong with brown sugar and cinnamon, but it's been done, am I right?

The only way my dds and dh eat them here is oven roasted. I cut them into bite sized pieces, coat in olive oil, honey, and cinnamon, then bake at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes. They scarf them down this way but if I try to make sweet potatoes (which I love in all forms) any other way no one here will eat them except me.

Sure.

I'm basically using this recipe, except with less garlic (I couldn't find my garlic press), caramelized onions with the topping, and some smoked paprika added. I've also, copying some other recipes I found online, put a little blue cheese in between the layers of sweet potatoes.

I've made twice baked sweet potatoes with mostly the same ingredients before (less cream, more bacon), but this is less work.

Alternatively, I always enjoy a sweet potato with a squeeze of lime juice over it. Sweet potato, lime juice, butter - yum! There's nothing wrong with brown sugar and cinnamon, but it's been done, am I right?

That sounds really good...thanks for sharing!

This is my family's favorite.  Everyone loves it.

Berry Mallow Yam Bake

1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c. old-fashioned or quick oats, uncooked
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. margarine
2 - 17 oz. cans of yams, uncooked
2 c. fresh cranberries, uncooked
15 Kraft regular marshmallows or 2 c. of the mini-marshmallows

Combine flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon.
Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Lightly toss 1 cup of the crumb mixture with the yams and cranberries.
Arrange in a 1.5 qt. casserole and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.

Bake at 350º for 35 minutes.

Top with marshmallows and broil until marshmallows are golden brown.

Makes six servings