Menu

Cell phone etiquette

CAMom

Here's a question I've been mulling over in my mind:

If you noticed a missed call on your cell phone, do you see that as an obligation to return the call? If it is my husband or one of my kids, I always call them back or text them to see if they need me.

But, if someone does not leave me a message or follow up with a text asking me to call them, I don't call them back. If someone calls my land line and doesn't leave a message, I don't call them back, either.

Is there a proper etiquette on this? What do you do?

Here's a question I've been mulling over in my mind:

If you noticed a missed call on your cell phone, do you see that as an obligation to return the call? If it is my husband or one of my kids, I always call them back or text them to see if they need me.

But, if someone does not leave me a message or follow up with a text asking me to call them, I don't call them back. If someone calls my land line and doesn't leave a message, I don't call them back, either.

Is there a proper etiquette on this? What do you do?

If I don't get their call and they don't leave a message, then I don't feel a need to call back. Sometimes I call them back, if I feel like it. But, if they really expected/wanted a return call, then they would leave a message.

If it is someone I recognize, then it would be a friend or family member.  I would assume that they had a moment to chat and called me but didn't leave a message because there really wasn't a specific message to leave.  Since I like my friends and family, I call them back when I have a moment to chat and hope that they are free then as well.  No one other than friends or family have my cell number.  

Sometimes I leave a message and people call back without listening to it. I find that annoying.

Maybe the message didn't show up on their phone yet. I often don't get the notification about a recorded message for quite a while after the actual missed call - sometimes it's half an hour or more. I don't know why the delay.

Maybe the message didn't show up on their phone yet. I often don't get the notification about a recorded message for quite a while after the actual missed call - sometimes it's half an hour or more. I don't know why the delay.

It's my dh and my parents who do this. My parents with their landline. They know they had a message. Other people don't do this to me.

I do realize there's a delay in messaging. That doesn't explain my parents.

If I see a missed call and it's from a friend, I call back when I have time.  My friends and I usually meet in person rather than chatting on the phone, so a missed call was most likely a friend wanting to set up an outing.  For relatively unimportant quick question type stuff, people will text rather than call.

Well, I have noticed a different approach with people who are younger than me. For people in their 30s and under they don't seem to leave a message. The alert of a call is seen as the message. They also don't listen to a message when you leave it.

I hear some of my friends who have young adult children complaining that their kids just call and don't leave a message. When they complain the kid says 'I called, you know I called, so call me back. Why leave a message?" I think it stems from cell phones having minutes that get used up. You don't want to spend precious minutes leaving or listening to a message. Just let the caller ID do the work for you.

So, if I see a call from my sister or some of my friends I call or text back. I don't leave a message for any of them either because I know they won't listen. It is also pretty normal for me to call and to get an immediate text asking why I am calling. 

I don't think a call back is necessary without a message or text asking for a callback.  Finding time to talk to someone on the phone more than 3 seconds is challenging for us, so I prefer text or e-mail most of the time anyway.  And I hate talking on the phone when I'm out and about (which is often).

I don't generally call back unless they leave a message.  I irritates DH if I call him back when I missed his call, unless he leaves a message asking me to call him.  His opinion is that if they need you to call back they will let you know.  I do, however, call my mom back.  She usually is just calling to chat, and I know that if it is important she will leave a message, so if I see she has called and left no message I call her back when I have a few minutes to talk.  Otherwise, I don't get a lot of phone calls.  Mostly I communicate with texts, email, or in person.

One of my pet peeves is when I get calls from people who are strangers saying "who's this?" Apparently I called them accidently and hung up. Why do people call back when they don't know who it is or don't recognize the number?

I have had this happen and I hate it as well. I am assuming they are the sort who gives out their number to people and might not recognize the number of everyone who calls them.

I have had this happen and I hate it as well. I am assuming they are the sort who gives out their number to people and might not recognize the number of everyone who calls them.

My beloved husband does this because he's nosy. It's apparent to me that if an unknown number rings just once and hangs up, it's probably a wrong number. But he has to call them back and confirm it. It's so awkward.

If I know who the person is, I call back when I can.

If I don't recognize the number and they don't leave a message, I figure it wasn't important or it was a wrong number.

Frankly, I don't like voicemail for friends/family. I don't want to have to call in, enter passwords, and remember to erase messages just to hear "Hey, it's me. Called to say hi. Call me when you get a chance."  If you're my friend/family, I know your number, I know you called, and of course I'll get back to you when I can!  But if it's urgent or specific, feel free to leave a message or text.