Menu

Update on my job interview situation

OnTheBrink

I ended up wearing a black dress with a tan/taupe jacket, with black wedge pumps. And, I was sick as a dog because I came down with a very bad cold the Saturday night before the interview! No time to call and reschedule, so I soldiered through. 

They called me the next morning and offered me the position! This job pays $5700 a year more than what I make now. I'm supposed to start in two weeks. 

And then....AND THEN....

I got a notice in the mail that another state agency wants me to interview. This job pays $11,500 more a year than what I make now. I called and explained how I had accepted another position and this woman insisted I interview. It really surprised me, because I thought she'd just say, "Ok, thanks for letting us know..." but she didn't. She strongly encouraged me to schedule an interview with her. I don't know her from Adam and am unsure why she'd be so insistent--I don't know if she saw my test score for this position or if she knows someone who knows me or what, but she was insistent that I interview. OK, my interview for this job is next week. 

And then....AND THEN...

I got another notice in the mail from yet another state agency wanting me to interview. This job pays $11,000 a year more than what I get now. Same title as the above job, different agency. I haven't called them yet to interview, but I may as well. Both this and the previous agency use the same test and score.

All three jobs have the same benefits package, so really the determining factors are going to be pay and whether I will enjoy the position. The first job is with the state board of higher ed, the second one is at dcfs in the field office as a receptionist/office support and the third one is hfs (health and family services) in the kids medical program. They're all clerical positions. 

And, the cherry on the cake is that my current supervisor at the hospital wants me to stay on as a per diem to help with backlogs. I've been given carte blanche for how many hours I want to put in whenever I want for the next several months, then when things settle down there, it'll be on an as-needed basis. 

I've never been in such a good position, job wise. I have a better paying job in my hand, I have the potential for better better paying jobs on the horizon, and my current job wants to hang on to me. This is a very new sensation for me, and I think I like this!  And the best part is that regardless of which job I ultimately end up with, I'll be able to afford a condo next summer, as long as I stay on my debt reduction plan. Yay!

Congratulations. Thats really good news. You said test score...what kind of test did you take? I must have missed that in your earlier post.

State jobs require an exam. For this position, the test covered spelling, grammar, office procedures, reading comprehension and questions about filing systems. I scored a 98%. 

I ended up wearing a black dress with a tan/taupe jacket, with black wedge pumps. And, I was sick as a dog because I came down with a very bad cold the Saturday night before the interview! No time to call and reschedule, so I soldiered through. 

They called me the next morning and offered me the position! This job pays $5700 a year more than what I make now. I'm supposed to start in two weeks. 

And then....AND THEN....

I got a notice in the mail that another state agency wants me to interview. This job pays $11,500 more a year than what I make now. I called and explained how I had accepted another position and this woman insisted I interview. It really surprised me, because I thought she'd just say, "Ok, thanks for letting us know..." but she didn't. She strongly encouraged me to schedule an interview with her. I don't know her from Adam and am unsure why she'd be so insistent--I don't know if she saw my test score for this position or if she knows someone who knows me or what, but she was insistent that I interview. OK, my interview for this job is next week. 

And then....AND THEN...

I got another notice in the mail from yet another state agency wanting me to interview. This job pays $11,000 a year more than what I get now. Same title as the above job, different agency. I haven't called them yet to interview, but I may as well. Both this and the previous agency use the same test and score.

All three jobs have the same benefits package, so really the determining factors are going to be pay and whether I will enjoy the position. The first job is with the state board of higher ed, the second one is at dcfs in the field office as a receptionist/office support and the third one is hfs (health and family services) in the kids medical program. They're all clerical positions. 

And, the cherry on the cake is that my current supervisor at the hospital wants me to stay on as a per diem to help with backlogs. I've been given carte blanche for how many hours I want to put in whenever I want for the next several months, then when things settle down there, it'll be on an as-needed basis. 

I've never been in such a good position, job wise. I have a better paying job in my hand, I have the potential for better better paying jobs on the horizon, and my current job wants to hang on to me. This is a very new sensation for me, and I think I like this!  And the best part is that regardless of which job I ultimately end up with, I'll be able to afford a condo next summer, as long as I stay on my debt reduction plan. Yay!

Wow, amazing!  You are a hot commodity right now!

I'd definitely interview with the others and then negotiate with your current employer that it came to your attention that your worth in the marketplace was X dollars more than they had offered, as evidenced by another (or two other )offers.  Would the first place be willing to meet those offers, as you would prefer that job (if this is the case)?