Menu

S/O - Yoga Pants/Compression Capris/Running Tights

SJ.

Yoga pants.  Or whatever you want to call them.  I have seen all of the above in yoga class :)

Some of you have outed yourselves (you know who you are!) and now I know I am not the only one here wearing yoga pants and *gasp* sometimes yoga shorts.  This is the perfect time to share your hits and misses with your fellow WTMers Y.

I am cheap so I don't have many pairs, I just do a lot of laundry.   :thumbup1:    My absolute favorite pair were made by Salomon, similar to these.  I wore them about three times a week for two years and they held up nicely. 

I also like the new(ish) line made by Express, like these.  They did not last as long as my pair by Salomon.  Much to my chagrin I found a hole in the seam of my backside *after* a workout.  Wow.  Tsk tsk.

Today I am wearing a pair I purchased at JC Penny.  I do not like them.  The waist is so big they fall down unless I tie them but even when I do sometimes they feel like they are falling down (but they don't, hate that feeling).  Worse, it is hard to quickly untie them when one needs to use the potty.  At least they aren't sheer.

I tried on these at Gap today (both grey and black), on sale 40% off.  What a steal!  And they are very cute, love the stripes along the sides.  I put them on and the fabric was so soft and smooth, like butter.  I check myself out in the mirror using my usual viewing angles, liking what I see until I check myself out in a deep squat (usual viewing angle, right?).  Whoa!  All assets on display for the world to see.  So very disappointing.  I ordered the ones linked above from Express instead.

How do you like your yoga pants?  

Are the sheer pants a new *style*?  I ask because I am finding a lot of these and check out google images, yikes they seem popular! If yes, are you on board?

Favorite brands/styles?

Total misses?

BTW - I like capris, cropped, and fitted to the ankle.  Not so much boot cut but that is mostly due to performance reasons, otherwise I think they are cute.  Preferably opaque.

Confession -I also like them super short, in the form of yoga shorts.   :auto:

• Like 1

OK, if those are yoga pants, then I live in them.      I thought yoga pants were more like sweatpants with bell bottomy  legs which I think are ridiculous. 

I thought everyone was referring to pants like these (which include the wide legged at the bottom pants) when talking about "yoga pants."  Perhaps we need a thread defining what exactly yoga pants are..?  

• Like 2

I hate Old Navy compressions with a passion.

I have adored my reebok and underarmor. I tried on many at target and just didn't like the feel. I was spoiled by my reeboks. They feel like second skin. After trying on a ton, I found the underarmor to also be the quality of compression I was seeking.

• Like 2

Ooh, see, I thought yoga pants were like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Popular-Basics-Womens-Pants-Colored/dp/B00L9C2SMG

I like those. My daughter has been wearing those regularly for the past few years, and I love the waist on them! I once sewed myself something like them (with flared legs) but not a foldover waist, from an Ottobre magazine- - the only Ottobre pattern I've ever executed! Sadly I don't fit them anymore and the fabric had a hole in it.

See through, skin tight things are yoga pants?! Yikes. I got an eyeful when I googled for yoga pants images. Lots of see-through pants out there. 

• Like 2

http://m.academy.com/shop/Product_10151_10051_658766_-1__true?color=Black+04&N=20001+10001&Ntt=compression+capris&Ntk=All

I own some official yoga pants around the house but actually run in compression capris..I don't consider them yogas...but it is close enough. I think the fabric of compressions are more high tech. Dry wick, anti odor, anti rolling/shifting. They are sublime! And for the record, even product title calls them compression capris :p

• Like 1

I have a few pairs similar to these. I like the looser fit through the leg. Partly because I am self conscious about my legs - so not my best feature - and partly because I find it easier to kickboxing when I have a little room to move. :laugh:

I like those but only on other people.  There is something about the width at the bottom that makes me feel like I look shorter and wider.  I can see how they would be perfect for kickboxing.  Have you ever tried MMA shorts, like these?  Some people wear them in a class I take called BodyCombat, a little like kickboxing but we hit and kick the air so not as badass.  It's close though ;)

• Like 1

I have always assumed that people wearing sheer pants didn't purchase appropriately and were buying leggings instead that looked solid until they put them on and bend over in sunlight..I always feel sorry for that person, LOL

I never want to be that person!  I always check myself out doing a deep squat in the dressing room just to be sure.  The pants I tried on today at The Gap were VERY sheer, shockingly so.  It was very disappointing because they were great pants except for that one issue.  I told another customer looking at the pants and she held them up to the light, you could see right through them.  Not sure how they passed quality control.

Always, always, always check your backside when bending and squatting before buying these types of pants!

I wear running pants from New Balance.  But I've had people compliment me by calling them my yoga pants.  I don't run or do yoga.  My absolute favorite pants are these drawstring flowy pants with the softest and lightest (but not see-through) material ever.  I think they are technically pajama pants but they don't look like it and I wear them out in public.  (Shhhh!)

• Like 3

I like those. My daughter has been wearing those regularly for the past few years, and I love the waist on them! I once sewed myself something like them (with flared legs) but not a foldover waist, from an Ottobre magazine- - the only Ottobre pattern I've ever executed! Sadly I don't fit them anymore and the fabric had a hole in it.

See through, skin tight things are yoga pants?! Yikes. I got an eyeful when I googled for yoga pants images. Lots of see-through pants out there. 

It's crazy, right?  Do people really not notice?  Are friends too polite to speak up?  I have informed my gym friends to *please* tell me if I ever wear sheer pants, or have holes in my backside.

BTW, I am in awe over your sewing skills.

http://m.academy.com/shop/Product_10151_10051_658766_-1__true?color=Black+04&N=20001+10001&Ntt=compression+capris&Ntk=All

I own some official yoga pants around the house but actually run in compression capris..I don't consider them yogas...but it is close enough. I think the fabric of compressions are more high tech. Dry wick, anti odor, anti rolling/shifting. They are sublime! And for the record, even product title calls them compression capris :p

Changed the thread title ;)

• Like 1

I wear running pants from New Balance.  But I've had people compliment me by calling them my yoga pants.  I don't run or do yoga.  My absolute favorite pants are these drawstring flowy pants with the softest and lightest (but not see-through) material ever.  I think they are technically pajama pants but they don't look like it and I wear them out in public.  (Shhhh!)

I think "yoga pant" tends to be the catchall term for tight athletic pants that are not sweat pants/warmup pants.  Your secret is safe with me....

• Like 1

It's crazy, right? Do people really not notice? Are friends too polite to speak up? I have informed my gym friends to *please* tell me if I ever wear sheer pants, or have holes in my backside.

BTW, I am in awe over your sewing skills.

I once stood behind this Dutch gal at the Amsterdam airport who had a huge rip in the seat of her jeans and her undies were visible. She was with a female friend and didn't look very friendly, sooooo I didn't say anything.

Don't be in awe over my sewing skills. I've got a stack of magazines and I only made one item? Pathetic. I told myself I wouldn't renew my subscription until I make anything else from a back issue, and years later I remain unsubscribed.

I once stood behind this Dutch gal at the Amsterdam airport who had a huge rip in the seat of her jeans and her undies were visible. She was with a female friend and didn't look very friendly, sooooo I didn't say anything.

Don't be in awe over my sewing skills. I've got a stack of magazines and I only made one item? Pathetic. I told myself I wouldn't renew my subscription until I make anything else from a back issue, and years later I remain unsubscribed.

It's all in perspective - I have a sewing machine that I threaded once and tried to sew a straight edge on a scrap of fabric.  It now sits in my basement.  To me being able to sew a pair of yoga pants is awe inspiring.

• Like 5

Changed the thread title ;)

Hahaha you didn't have to alter it :p but it does make it more all encompassing.

Sadly, athletic pants absorb more of my clothing budget than anything else...I will go dress shopping and come home with more running clothes. They just seem more practical and useful. I really should add a few more dresses to my wardrobe. I own two dresses, two skirts, two jeans, one black slacks. Maybe 8 dressier shirts and then like 4 pair compressions, 2 yogas, 6 running shorts, 6 running tanks and shirts...

I need more grown up attire.

• Like 4

My favorite running pants are knee length and branded REI, so if don't know who makes them. They are great though.

I have also had decent luck with Champion Performance stuff from Target- which is my go to for transitional sizes when I don't get lucky at the thrift store.

I haven't worn the traditional yoga pants since I was post partum. Just the performance/sport fabric type tights and pants.

• Like 2

Yes, that's what I mean.     The wide ankle part is not flattering on me at all.  Way to make a short person look shorter and thicker!!

I agree, I feel the same way for myself.

It is interesting to me that everyone thinks of yoga pants as having a flared leg.  At the gym I attend most people wear the pants that are tight the length of the pants which vary from capri to ankle length.  IMO the extra fabric at the bottom of the flared leg just gets in the way (for yoga). This could be because I am short and end up standing on the extra fabric.

I can't wear most "yoga" or athletic pants. My inseam is completely the wrong something. Either they give me a major, major um... gosh, I hate this term, but I don't know any other... camel toe or they hug my hips and fall off my waist. 99.9% of them are all wrong. I have to buy really loose ones for yoga. They're okay, I guess. I'd rather they were a little more fitted, but I'll take them over the unfortunate other effects...

• Like 1

I have a couple of the tight legging type yoga pants.  I only wear them with very loose tunic length shirts.  I will not be replacing them.  Most of my pants are athletic pants that are not made of sweats material but out of that hightech wicking material.  I delude myself into thinking that the black is slimming.  We have noticed in our area that many people are wearing the tight legging type yoga pants in bright patterns worthy of the sixties.  They are not slimming. . . .   Even ds17 has noticed them, not in a stumbling sort of way but in a "what were they thinking" sort of way.  But then maybe he is stumbling by judging their fashion sense!  

I can't wear most "yoga" or athletic pants. My inseam is completely the wrong something. Either they give me a major, major um... gosh, I hate this term, but I don't know any other... camel toe or they hug my hips and fall off my waist. 99.9% of them are all wrong. I have to buy really loose ones for yoga. They're okay, I guess. I'd rather they were a little more fitted, but I'll take them over the unfortunate other effects...

Perhaps you need a pair with a drawstring?  I have a pair (that I mentioned in the OP) from JC Penny that has a drawstring to cinch the waist tight.  They drive me a bit crazy but they fit just fine in the other areas you mention.  More importantly they are not sheer.   :thumbup:

Those are fabulous.  The second color option is my favorite.

Where do you buy your UA pants?  The only place around here that I have seen UA is Dick's Sporting Goods and I am not sure if their selection is good.

Have you tried an athletic store that has a ton of options. You really do have to try and try and try. Similarly to finding swimsuits. My last experience was lovely at Academy sports. I had a lady that worked in the dressing area running back and forth for me to try different ones. She listened to my lists of musts and issues and really knew her stuff. She was wonderful.

I'd consider a spanks undergarment underneath if you REALLY wanted to make a pair work and had no luck even in a larger store with tons of options but that would be hot!

• Like 1

Those are fabulous. The second color option is my favorite.

Where do you buy your UA pants? The only place around here that I have seen UA is Dick's Sporting Goods and I am not sure if their selection is good.

My Dick's (insert immature snickering) has more reebok and nike brands but they do have UA. My best selection has been Academy Sports. You could go figure out your UA size and then order a specialty pair online at a cheaper rate and cross your fingers they fit the same. They seemed quite even across the board to me. I typically pay 38-50 a pair but they last me 3ish years.
  • Like 2

I'd love to look good in those!

well not sure how well I'd look in them. I'm 5' 3" but have short little legs. Capris are what I have to wear soo I'd definitely not look like those. I always hike them up behind my knees a wee bit. Might not be best style for me and my stubby legs. I'd have to get a large for my hips, too..

I never want to be that person!  I always check myself out doing a deep squat in the dressing room just to be sure.  The pants I tried on today at The Gap were VERY sheer, shockingly so.  It was very disappointing because they were great pants except for that one issue.  I told another customer looking at the pants and she held them up to the light, you could see right through them.  Not sure how they passed quality control.

Always, always, always check your backside when bending and squatting before buying these types of pants!

How did I not know this?!?!? I am no spring chicken and not new to exercise, either. My goodness. I have a pair of new knicker-length compression shorts that I really love and now I need to check them for transparency. Eeek!

well not sure how well I'd look in them. I'm 5' 3" but have short little legs. Capris are what I have to wear soo I'd definitely not look like those. I always hike them up behind my knees a wee bit. Might not be best style for me and my stubby legs. I'd have to get a large for my hips, too..

Sigh. I have my grandmother's legs. Anything tight just squeezes the rest out the bottom.... I remember in grade 6 or 8? that spandex biker shorts were the thing all the cool girls wore at basketball. I'm glad I had the sense even then to know that was a bad idea when I tried them on!

I wear the type you linked a lot.

Yeah, don't google yoga pant images!  Those are the ones I am not cool with, to put it mildly.  :P

I also like the new(ish) line made by Express, like these.  They did not last as long as my pair by Salomon.  Much to my chagrin I found a hole in the seam of my backside *after* a workout.  Wow.  Tsk tsk.

Love these!  I'm going to have to buy a pair.

My yoga pants are from Athleta, and they are very comfortable.  I would wear only those once it was cool enough, if I could afford enough pairs.  My dd has a pair from Gap.  The Gap one are really nice too, close to Athleta (and they are owned by the same company).  With Gap you can get them when they are on sale and they are a great price.  She likes them because the inseam is long enough (we got tall).  She hates it when her pants are too short.  

I like those but only on other people.  There is something about the width at the bottom that makes me feel like I look shorter and wider.  I can see how they would be perfect for kickboxing.  Have you ever tried MMA shorts, like these?  Some people wear them in a class I take called BodyCombat, a little like kickboxing but we hit and kick the air so not as badass.  It's close though ;)

I do have a pair of those - they are my fancy ones for sparring because they have our dojo's logo embroidered on them. :laugh:  I don't actually think they are quite as comfy as the others though. The velcro irritates me.

For some of us, it helps balance us out.

:iagree:  When I wear long pants - for the 6 weeks it is cold enough here to justify long pants at the dojo lol - I find the flared leg looks best on me. And I'm short with stumpy legs too.

I have 2 from Lululemon : http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/pants-yoga/Astro-Pant-Tall-Full-On-Luon?cc=15544&skuId=3564721&catId=pants-yoga

I have several from Kirkland Signature (costco's house brand) after I read a review saying they far exceed the quality of many high end brands : http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100022888/authentic-lifestyle-produ-kirkland-signature-ladies-reversible-active-pant-black-stripe-reviews/reviews.htm

I have 2 from Champion brand at Target. I like all of them. I tend to wear the Lulu ones and the Champion ones the most. BTW/ I do yoga in those and am very comfortable wearing them. These have loose fit around the leg.

For running and other forms of exercise, the "tight fitting pants" would work out well from these brands.

• Like 3

I have always assumed that people wearing sheer pants didn't purchase appropriately and were buying leggings instead that looked solid until they put them on and bend over in sunlight..I always feel sorry for that person, LOL

many didn't know they were sheer.  lululemon had MANY very angry customers who discovered how sheer the yoga pants were.  the company ended up pulling them.  though from comments the CEO has made- you get the feeling he's a misogynist.  (so why he runs a company marketing women's yoga clothing/accessories . .. . )

many didn't know they were sheer.  lululemon had MANY very angry customers who discovered how sheer the yoga pants were.  the company ended up pulling them.  though from comments the CEO has made- you get the feeling he's a misogynist.  (so why he runs a company marketing women's yoga clothing/accessories . .. . )

:iagree: 

My yoga pants are from Athleta, and they are very comfortable.  I would wear only those once it was cool enough, if I could afford enough pairs.  My dd has a pair from Gap.  The Gap one are really nice too, close to Athleta (and they are owned by the same company).  With Gap you can get them when they are on sale and they are a great price.  She likes them because the inseam is long enough (we got tall).  She hates it when her pants are too short.  

Your dd's pants must have been purchased before they redesigned them.  If not, I'd be sure to have her squat down in a well lit room to make sure they don't show off a lot more than they should.  I read some reviews on The Gap's website and it looks like their fitness pants were of better quality before they were redesigned and a lot of people are finding them to be sheer.  I tried to leave a review yesterday, multiple times, and the site will not let me post.  It makes me wonder if it is because of my low rating.  Yes, you can call me a conspiracy nut...  Off to go try again. 

ETA: The site let me post my review so it must have been some type of problem yesterday.  It's too bad, conspiracy theories are much more fun!   :D

Has anyone tried the pants from Kate Hudson's new website Fabletics? I usually wear Target's Champion, and Danskin or Avia from Wal-Mart and had good luck, but I bought a pair of compression shorts from Under Armour (I was seduced into it by Misty Copeland's UA ad, so sue me), and I really like them, but not the UA price. Fabletics seems to have some nice colors and styles and great prices, but I know nothing about their quality.

I really like the brand Target carries but when I get 30% off at Kohls I will splurge on nike or adidas running capris or shorts, tops etc..    I have a slight addiction to buying running clothes, I'd rather get a new running outfit over anything else.