Menu

For families with 3 + children

I'm starting my 2nd year of HS, so I'm still relatively new.  I've got a 6th, 4th, and 2nd grader, which means more subjects and more school work compared to last year.

My question:  do you have a set daily schedule? or do you do subjects as kids see fit every day?

The problem:  there are many subjects that require one-on-one teaching with each kid (math, spelling, grammar, etc).  There are a few subjects that kids can do independently (penmanship, logic, etc).  We are running into trouble trying to figure out what everyone is working on at one time.  I'm afraid to get locked into a schedule, but that seems to be the only way to solve the problem of "what can I do now?" and "Mom, I need help!"

I'm frazzled, and it's just day 2.  My husband says to allow grace and for time to adjust to getting back to school after taking the summer off. 

My children in grades 3 up have individual lesson planners with their daily assignments written to them.  While I work with another chiild, they are expected to complete assignments they can work on independently.   I start each day with my youngest child.  While working with them, the older children are reading science, history, or literature.  While my youngest child works on math, I work with my next oldest on math (I sit between them so I can keep an eye on the younger one's answers.)  While I am working with the second youngest schoolager, older ones continue working independently.  When that one reaches working independently point, I rotate to the next oldest.   Then I start rotating back through to younger children.  I try to make sure my youngest child finishes everything early and can go and play without expecting her to return and focus on school later on.

We've always had routines, rather than schedules. Tying myself to the clock would have been more stressful for me, rather than less, though I know that works for some people. I could also never combine my kids in anything, though I tried many times. They were just too far apart in ability, age and interest, for combining to work effectively. Combining made things harder for me, not easier.

Once my kids can read, they work more independently. I ditched teacher intensive programs in favor of methods and materals that allowed shorter instructional times and/or more independence. So for math, I'd spend a short time going over a lesson, then set my kid loose to do the rest of the work on their own. I facilitated increased independence in the older kids by giving them checklists of what needed to be done so they weren't constantly asking, "What do I do next?" (Nowadays, I do this using OneNote, but back then, it was just a simple Word document that I made on the weekends and printed out.) Every day, we started with math, then language arts. Content subjects were done after those essentials. We bumped things like art and music to informal study on Friday afternoons, when we did "tea time." We're a science and math oriented family, so those subjects got primary focus rather than history.

I do like the above poster, oldest 2 start independent work while I work with the K'er. When I am done with her I move to the 1st and 3rd and just work with one while the other does independent work(switching between the two as needed). If I am busy the 3rd grader knows to read while waiting for me or to study.

It's not perfect, and is found the more I tried to emulate a classroom or be very strict in my implementation of school, the more stress and disorder I ran into. When I'm more relaxed about time constraints, order of events, and splitting assignments or even pushing them off to another day or time, things go SO much better. We still get school done, just with a little less mommy yelling ;)

This is so true in our household, too. Workboxes have also been a lifesaver. We don't necessarily go in order, so the kids know that if they need to wait for me, they can find their other assignments in the boxes and are welcome to work on them. The incentive is that the sooner they get their work done, the sooner they can go play. If there just isn't anything they can do without me, they will often go outside and play until I'm available. 

I've also used computer stuff like spellingcity.com, khanacademy, xtra math, and fun4thebrain.com to help juggle my kids. They can be doing something educational while waiting for me to help a sibling. It helps them keep their focus on school without drifting into playtime. (after which, I have a hard time refocusing them) So if I have one kid doing spelling city for 20 minutes and another kid practicing penmanship and reading literature selections, I will have at least 20 minutes in which I can present a lesson to another child.

Also, staggering start times helps too. My youngest doesn't have as much schoolwork to do, so he can start later than the sisters.

My oldest daughter has a spreadsheet or checklist for each week. She knows what she has to do and the work that needs me has a special time in the day. This would probably work for your two oldest. For the youngers, I have a general routine that we follow so they know approximately when to work with me and know to go to workboxes for independent work during "school time."

We have a schedule, because we need it to ensure that everyone gets individual attention, but I don't feel locked into it. Basically, I have a master schedule that shows what everyone should be doing between 8 and 4 each day; it's just a spreadsheet with kids' names across the top and 30 min increments down the side. I know what everyone is supposed to be doing at any given point. I mark my location in red. So at 8:30 am, dd10 is finishing her math assignment independently, ds9 is doing cursive independently, dd6 is practicing piano, ds4 is working on letters with me (marked in red), and ds2 is playing. The master schedule helps me see the big picture of our day and ensures that the day is structured so that each child gets the one-on-one instruction they need.

Then I forget the schedule. I mean, we do follow it, but if math takes us longer than planned or the toddler wakes up early from his nap, it's no big deal. I make checklists for the oldest two, and they usually work through their subjects in the order I list them. If I'm not available to check their work when they finish one thing, then they will just start the next thing on the list while I finish up with someone else. For the younger two, I have a spreadsheet for myself where I track what they do throughout the week. We have a routine and a particular order of subjects we follow, but most of the boxes are blank, and I fill in how many math pages they work through or how many chapters I read aloud as we go along.

This sounds really structured as I write it out, but our day is actually pretty fluid. Having it all planned out allows me to relax and go with the flow, since I know I'll get to everything and everyone eventually.

My children in grades 3 up have individual lesson planners with their daily assignments written to them.  While I work with another chiild, they are expected to complete assignments they can work on independently.   I start each day with my youngest child.  While working with them, the older children are reading science, history, or literature.  While my youngest child works on math, I work with my next oldest on math (I sit between them so I can keep an eye on the younger one's answers.)  While I am working with the second youngest schoolager, older ones continue working independently.  When that one reaches working independently point, I rotate to the next oldest.   Then I start rotating back through to younger children.  I try to make sure my youngest child finishes everything early and can go and play without expecting her to return and focus on school later on.

:iagree: This is how it works in our house, too.

Same boat here.  I have 3 kids in grades 3, 1, and Pre-K.  We are doing a system similar to this:  http://www.homeschoolcreations.net/2010/07/our-new-workbox-system-workbook-weekly/  except that I don't plan the entire week all at once.  I am trying to alternate subjects that my 3rd and 1st grader will need my help with.  But usually my 4 year old is wreaking havoc the entire time anyway!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 6th grader, 5th grader, 3rd grader and kindergartener in school and a preschooler running around. We have a set schedule. And I do kind of run a one-room school house. We do Bible, Greek and Fine Arts all together first thing in the morning. Then we do Latin - all at their different levels. I set each kid on their assignment and then walk around and listen to recitations. Then, we do grammar. I give each kid a quick lesson from where they are in Rod & Staff, then they do their individual lesson and I'm around to help. And so on and so forth. No, it's not relaxed, but my kids are not relaxed. They are high energy and don't like school and would run off and find something else to do or just sit and throw things at each other if i didn't keep a really tight rein on things.

I have chosen (when I only had 1 student) teacher-intensive curriculums. I'm sticking with them for now, and some of them are lightening up, but I'm doing things differently for the oldest from here on out. She has to become more independent!

However, those core classes are still teacher-intensive. So, we will have an hour of math at our house, during which time the 4th and K-er each get 20-30 minutes of my teaching time, then spend the rest of that time either doing math practice, math online games, or something else they can do (in case of K-er). Language arts will be the same way; 20-30 minutes of my instruction and use the rest of the time completing checklist of assignments, practicing an instrument, etc., use that time well!

4th and K-er will do science and Tapestry together. K-er will have a few of her own little "read and find out" science books, but otherwise I will "pull her up" with 4/5th grader in science and history/Tapestry. She will have some other things like coloring pages/lapbooks to make it fun, but will do the hands-on projects, read alouds and SOTW listening with us. 4/5th grader will have additional Tapestry/history reading.

Latin is all together at dinner time (K-er loves it), with 4/5th grader completing the workbook in her spare school time the next day (maybe during LA hour). We also do morning time, poetry/Scripture memory, hymns, etc. together. I'm just dragging K-er along for everything except math and LA.

All of this will be in Homeschool Planet planner (with specific assignments) and a firm list of things they can do to use the time well if waiting for mom. That list will be much easier to complete for 4/5th grader than K-er.

I just needed a way to control my teaching time and where I was going to be when, so I didn't get pulled everywhere at once. HTH

We have loose routines, not schedules. It does take time every year to work out the kinks. Each kid has independent work and mom-dependent work, and we alternate. I combine them with all subjects that can be combined, which also helps.

Just give yourself time to work it out. At first, it can seem like you are torn 100 different directions, but you will all adjust. And my little learns to wait while I am helping my olders. :)

I carefully try to plan out a schedule for each child so that I can be available for the subjects that I teach to them or subjects that I do with more than one child.

I have found that it is not really that important if THEY stick to their schedule, but I must stick to MINE. Meaning, if this is my time to do spelling with child #3, then I need to do it right then. They are a little more flexible, where I have to jump among 4 kids.

We have loose routines, not schedules. It does take time every year to work out the kinks. Each kid has independent work and mom-dependent work, and we alternate. I combine them with all subjects that can be combined, which also helps.

Just give yourself time to work it out. At first, it can seem like you are torn 100 different directions, but you will all adjust. And my little learns to wait while I am helping my olders. :)

I have a 4th and 1st grader, as well as 4 yr old and 4 month old. The quoted sounds very much like my mindset.

I use a workbox-type system. Each child has a set of drawers. Within those drawers are all of their work for the day. The mom-intensive assignments are marked as such on the outside of the drawer. I place the assignments in a particular order hoping the mom-intensive subjects will alternate. The children move through their drawers in order unless they hit one where I am needed, but busy. In that case they can move on to the next independent drawer until I am available.

This system worked great for us last year and is going well so far this year. Fingers crossed (we didn't have the baby last year).

I have one in 6th, 1 in 3rd and 2 KGers. So I have a loose routine:

Breakfast 7-8am (w/audio book playing),

8-9am we are all at the table doing reading, memorizations, 5min math drills, geography maps,

9-10 am: oldest is on computer doing TT, reflex math, spelling city and arabic while I do FIAR with other 3 till 9:30,

9:30-10 DD8 does workboxes while I do MUS, ETC and Mathematical Reasoning with Twins,

10-11 I have some workboxes for the twins with activities and I work one on one with DS10 on grammar, arabic, writing and any other topics he needs help on, DD8 finishes up her workboxes then does spellingcity and reflex math

11-12: I work with DD8 while DS10 finishes his workboxes (vocab, handwriting, spelling, logic puzzles) and twins go have free time with blocks,etc 

12-1:30 lunch/chores

1:30-3: chemistry or history or art or some project for geography depending on the day

3-5 quiet time (no naps, just reading/playing quietly in rooms) while I cook etc.

My children in grades 3 up have individual lesson planners with their daily assignments written to them. While I work with another chiild, they are expected to complete assignments they can work on independently. I start each day with my youngest child. While working with them, the older children are reading science, history, or literature. While my youngest child works on math, I work with my next oldest on math (I sit between them so I can keep an eye on the younger one's answers.) While I am working with the second youngest schoolager, older ones continue working independently. When that one reaches working independently point, I rotate to the next oldest. Then I start rotating back through to younger children. I try to make sure my youngest child finishes everything early and can go and play without expecting her to return and focus on school later on.

This is very similar to how we approach the day. Everyone, from my 1st grader to my ninth grader, has a planner with assignment written out. I just keep rotating through them. When they aren't working with me they can be working on an assignment, reading, doing chores, or playing quietly.

I have tried timed schedules in the past and found them to frustrating for us.

My question:  do you have a set daily schedule? or do you do subjects as kids see fit every day?

The problem:  there are many subjects that require one-on-one teaching with each kid (math, spelling, grammar, etc).  There are a few subjects that kids can do independently (penmanship, logic, etc).  We are running into trouble trying to figure out what everyone is working on at one time.  I'm afraid to get locked into a schedule, but that seems to be the only way to solve the problem of "what can I do now?" and "Mom, I need help!"

I have a schedule of when I am working with each child, and a checklist of what they need to complete.  They are still working on it, but pretty much know that if I am not working with them they will have to wait before I give them my attention.  I also make sure they know the options of what they CAN do while they are waiting (read a book, certain iPad apps, work ahead, draw, etc).  With three students and an almost 3 year old there are three possible categories of what they are doing: 1) work with mom, 2) work independently, 2) play with toddler.  Student playing with the toddler both gives them a break from seat work and keeps toddler occupied.  I have some things (puzzles, games, toys, etc) that are only for the toddler during school time and the older sibling is supposed to help the toddler "learn" (basically keep the toddler engaged).

If they need help with something I tell them to skip on to the next question or work on something else until I am available. 

I've worked hard to get my 4th grader about 60-70% independent in math.  My second grader is about 50% independent.  My 7th grader is 90% independent.  It is pretty amazing how capable they are of teaching themselves with the right materials.  Because language arts is the weakest area for my kids this is where I focus my time.  

Last strategy is group lessons.  We are doing a unit on Marine Biology right now.  We are all doing the same thing, but I expect different levels of comprehension and output from the different aged kids.

Best Wishes!

Yes, we schedule.

If we schedule it, and we stick to the schedule, then it gets done.

I have enough people in the family now, that if I don't schedule or run by the schedule, then someone gets short-changed.  We just don't have enough time to 'catch-up' an activity lost by not doing it on schedule.  I have to be responsible to each person in this house, respecting them, and thus I make and follow a schedule.  It helps me give them each what is best. 

Even me staying up late means the kids get short-changed the next day in my energy level.  Every bend to the schedule costs something. 

Do we vary from the schedule regularly?  Definitely yes!!  Appointments come up, opportunities come up, needs come up, but each time I know it's costing something.  I have to build in margin and catch-up time into our schedule so that we can still vary from the schedule.  Life happens - lots!

Our schedule gives us something to aim at - because if you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.  We need to aim at something.

I start with the Ker (and the preschooler, since he usually is glued to the Ker's side), while,the older kids do whatever they can do independently. I put their work in workboxes to make it visually obvious, but they can always read their literature assignments if nothing else. Their history is in separate binders with assignments listed, and they know they are to do the next thing on the list. Then I move to whichever older kid is at a good point for working with me. My 7th grader might be ready to go over her math and Latin, while my 4th grader wants to finish a few more pages of reading. Then it's just back and forth, moving to whichever kid needs me.

Oldest has a checklist - which we started working her into when she was in 6th grade. The first year was horrible. The second (last year) had its good & bad weeks, with more good than bad by the end of the year.

I also have a master schedule - but I don't kill myself if it isn't 100% followed - and I built in a lot of 'grace' (slop) time for when I was potty training, diaper-changing, or just dealing with tornado-like children. I also made sure there were 'break' times, play-with-youngest-kid times, and if we got something done early, we'd play a game (Simon Says).

That said, we are on half-days to start out year out gradually. I found that easing into school is the best way for us to do it. We get some work done, I work some kinks out of things, everyone gets time to themselves, and even if things go badly, we can all retreat to outside or our rooms for naps/reading/audiobooks/Legos to recharge. (This year is loosely 8th, 6th, 3rd/4th, 1st, and 'preschooler'.)

The first thing that I learned when trying to work with multiple kids was to be very careful not to pick only materials that require me.  I save my teacher time very carefully and spread it out among the new readers, the math lessons, and group lessons.  I don't really have the time to teach everyone everything independently.  As a previous poster said, my time is more valuable that their time is.  If I am not "teaching something" all day long, we get very behind.  But my kids can run off and take breaks often.

Next most important thing I learned was to appreciate "busy work".  I say that with a very happy smile.  My kids often need their energy directed in a way that doesn't require me to help, but doesn't leave them the freedom to annoy their siblings or to be inappropriate or destructive.  We use: educational videos, quiet reading, ipad apps, spellingcity, dreambox (computer directed math program), grade level worksheets (easy review), etc.  They are all getting better at filling their time appropriately as they get older--everyone is "school age" at my house, now!

Becky 

My oldest daughter has a spreadsheet or checklist for each week. She knows what she has to do and the work that needs me has a special time in the day. This would probably work for your two oldest. For the youngers, I have a general routine that we follow so they know approximately when to work with me and know to go to workboxes for independent work during "school time."

yep. this. my schoolers are 4th, and 2 k/1st plus a 2yo, and 7mo. each schooler has a binder for the week with dividers for each day. behind their dividers is all the loose papers for that day's work. the 4th grader also has a spreadsheet with everything she's expected to do each day. and i have one for me or i tend to forget something, switching between 3 kids. we start our school time with group work at the table, then they all go outside for 15 minutes with a nature assignment. then the 4th grader goes off to do independent work while i do table time with the littles. when they're done it's usually lunchtime (or later) so we stop to eat. then the littles go play while i do one on one with the 4th grader. then she goes to finish independent work while i do reading with the littles.

it's a general routine/flow at our house. a strict schedule doesn't work here. sometimes we start school at 9, sometimes not until 1 or 2. depends on the day's activities, attitudes, moods, etc.

thank you THANK YOU thank you for all of your input.  it's nice to take a peak into other's schools to see how things work for different families and to hear what's worked (or not worked) for others.

I'm happy to report that I *did* make a schedule for us to follow (I'm naturally a structured schedule and routine kind of person) and we loosely followed it Friday.  SUCCESS!  I no longer considered putting the kids back in public school that starts this coming monday :tongue_smilie: In a paraphrase of the great Tobias Funke from Arrested Development, let the great experiment continue!

I have papaers on the side of our kitchen island that list what subjects we do on what days it lists them by Monday & Wednesday, and then Tuesday & Thursday, and Friday is listed alone as they get to do a few extras on that day and not as many core subjects.

They have a morning routine that gets chores done and has them taking turns on piano practice while one kid reads and then they switch sort of a thing. They get to pick what to do in what order on that list, but if they pull out something that I need to teach and I am not free for them yet I'll tell them to wait on that and pick something else. I have found it takes a couple weeks and they fall into a routine for the day as they figure out what usually works where. It still leaves them feeling like they get some choice, I don't have to chase them as much, and I am less frazzled. If I see them wondering aimlessly I'll just ask them if they have finished the list.

I'm schooling K, 2nd, and 5th this year. We have a basic routine. Order of independent subjects is flexible, but work with mom must be done when mom says so. ;) They have lists of what assignments are to be done for the week. My 5th grader handles his own list. My other two just do what I say - I keep the list in my head (they don't have much on their list).

I usually start everyone with math. My K'er and 5th grader can work on that fairly independently (there is a little dictation and a word problem in the TM for the K'er, that I must read, but the rest of his lesson is independent). My 2nd grader needs a little more hand holding, but he's starting to move toward reading the directions and following them. Yay! My 5th grader usually works on something independent after math, and then I do LA with the other two individually (I did have them together for reading/spelling, but decided to separate them and put them in completely different curriculum). Once they're done, I go work with my 5th grader on LA that is done with mom. History and science, when we do them, is all together this year.

At the beginning of the year, I usually make a "schedule" with times and everything, just to make sure I *can* fit in what I want to fit in. In practice, we don't look at the clock at all. We just do the next thing on the schedule. So it is more of a routine in that sense. The times just help me plan, so I know that we can feasibly get it done. I'd hate to plan for something to take 15 minutes when really it takes 30, and have that happen more than once in the schedule and push our end time into dinner prep time. Instead, I tend to overestimate time expected on a subject, and then when we're under, we feel happy that we finished school earlier than expected. ;)

My "schedule" will often change throughout the year, based on changes in curriculum, changes in children's independent work level, etc.

I also have balanced out the mom-intensive vs. non-mom-intensive curricula. I had more mom-intensive curricula with my oldest when he was in 1st grade, but now I try to minimize that. I'll have a short teaching period for a subject, then send him to do independent work on that subject. But it's not all-mom-all-the-time for the entire 5 hours he's doing school. He needs me about an hour probably. My other two need me to be sitting nearby at the very least for everything, if not fully interacting. That's normal for that age though, and I don't expect them to be more independent yet (my K'er is surprisingly independent, and I'm very thankful for that!).

I am thinking of using a schedule similar to what they use for ABA.

A strip of velcro down the middle of a laminated chart.

Some pictures of each of the curriculum needed to be done that day including independent work as well as chores and play time with younger siblings and instrument practice. I place all the pictures that need to be done that day on the strip and they take it off when finished.