Menu

When buying used curriculum...

do you request that the seller send via priority mail, or do you still trust media mail?  I'm looking at purchasing a used set and the seller has no feedback yet.  If I ask for the package to be sent priority I will save almost no money on the deal.  But, then if I go with media mail I'll be stuck waiting and wondering if the package is going to arrive.  I notice a lot of ebay sellers shipping priority, and that is how I shipped a recent large IEW set I sold.  I didn't make as much, but I also didn't have to worry about whether or not the buyer received it.  

I should probably just suck it up and buy the curriculum new.  Anyway, how do you have used items shipped?  

I almost always buy used and receive and send things media mail. In eight years of homeschooling only two items did not arrive. The first time was quite a few years ago and the second was about a month ago.

With the cost of shipping, I think people ae hesitant to upay for anything other than book rate.

The majority of the Used or New textbooks we have purchased for DD on Amazon (and one on eBay) were shipped via USPS Media Mail. Most, if not all of them, had tracking numbers. A few textbooks were shipped to us via DHL Global Mail and then turned over to USPS in Orlando, for delivery in Miami. So far, everything has arrived. 

I believe, but you need to confirm this, that you can get insurance on Media Mail packages. I'm not sure about that...

Note: In a number of Feedbacks for Amazon Sellers, I have seen people complaining that they paid extra, for Faster shipping, and that their packages took forever to arrive.  Possibly that actually slows things down, at times? It shouldn't, but in some cases, it seems to.

It wouldn't be a question for me because I don't buy from anyone who doesn't have feedback.  Otherwise, media mail with tracking #.  If they're not willing to do the # then I wouldn't do it at all.

+1     Possibly I would purchase from someone without feedback, if we lived in the USA and could return it to them if it was not satisfactory, but since we live in South America, the Seller's Feedback and the comments from previous purchasers are extremely important when we  consider buying something on Amazon (mostly we buy there) or on eBay (occasional purchases).

I always try to leave feedback telling what we purchased and how the transaction was, for Amazon and eBay Sellers after we receive what we have purchased.

I have bought and sold curriculum for years using media mail and experienced my first lost this summer. Fortunately it was not an expensive item, but the time lost in trying to track it down, etc., ugh! We are still waiting a few more days for the package to show up - it's been almost 4 weeks. I am the seller and I think I will have to refund the buyer according to paypal rules.

I buy a ridiculous amount used on amazon and alibris.  I had something get lost *1 time* and it was the shipper's fault.  He took a whole bunch of OOP Dr. Doolittle books and papered them up and shipped.  It came apart in the post office equipment and all I got with this horrible apology note from the post office, saying the books had been "lost."   :scared:   Can you tell I'm still traumatized by it?   :nopity:

I'm extremely reluctant to order something from someone with no feedback, sorry.  I did that one time and got burnt because the dude didn't give a rip about his reputation.  It was sort of a one-time deal for him.  I look for someone with 97-98% positive rep or better.  NEVER buy from less than 95% positive.  Just don't.  There are plenty more vendors out there and it's not worth it.

They tell you where they're from, so unless they're on the opposite side of the country you usually get the stuff within a week, even with media mail.  

Media Mail with delivery confirmation, which gives you tracking.  I have sold and bought many books on ebay that way and always that way through here and other sites for used curriculum.  As for feedback, I don't find it all that consistent here in this forum.  I have bought and sold items through this forum and while I do leave feedback, I have yet to receive one. :(  I think I am going to just use my ebay feedback for reference from now on.

ETA:  if the value is over $50, I will offer to pay for additional insurance as a buyer; and recommend an additional insurance purchase as a seller.  USPS has free insurance up to $50.00.

With no feedback (or even with fewer than 100 sales) on Amazon--which I don't do--I'd require something with a tracking number.

From a dedicated homeschooling swap forum/site, IDK. I don't buy things that way. I'd still be pretty uncomfortable with no tracking. I got burned on Etsy once. I am sure, after reading the feedback more carefully, that she was only actually producing a few orders, faking the rest, and refunding everything but the shipping and skimming it. Other people might be satisfied with a refund that excluded shipping (which she had no receipt for), but I definitely was not.

When selling, I ALWAYS get tracking or delivery confirmation. Oh, and insurance on anything I can't oop afford to replace without it being a burden.  It protects you as a seller. All good sellers should do similarly and I know on many places I sell, it's required of sellers.  As a buyer, I have no problem with media mail.  It's not been an issue for me and I always get stuff within about a week.

I've never had any issue with media mail, as a buyer or seller. However, I usually don't buy or sell big items/sets (in which case I would probably prefer some confirmation at least). Fwiw irt feedback when the new classified forums was set up all the original feedback was lost, so I have no feedback as a buyer or seller on here right now. Thankfully that hasn't been an issue as I'm selling items right now.

As a buyer I have purchased insurance, but looking back I don't know why I did. If I understand correctly, even with a tracking number, if the package doesn't arrive, the seller has to refund the buyer. So it doesn't really make sense that the buyer pays for insurance if it's for the seller's benefit...or am I misunderstanding?

Media mail now includes free delivery confirmation and has an estimated delivery date of a week or less. I send books across the country and they're often one day early. I think they've improved media mail SIGNIFICANTLY -- gone are the three week time delays, and there is a way to track them now. I'd stick with it.

The insurance is for the seller's benefit. The seller is responsible, and PayPal will rule in favor of the buyer, so I've never understood that either.

I had a package (large box) being shipped via media mail go missing; the shop got a notice from the PO that the label alone was found. Seemed idiotic to me. I felt sorry for the seller. Anyway they refunded and I bought elsewhere. That was before the media mail changes, but it did have a delivery confirmation number so at least its status was known. I've lost books when the packaging fell apart in transit. The guilty party was a used bookstore in the UK that I no longer buy from, that eventually improved their packaging, so I must not have been the only one. They always refunded for missing items. It wasn't sent media mail, though, as it was international.

I wouldn't buy an item for more than $25 (my personal threshold) from someone with no feedback, especially if it wasn't a great deal. In that case I'd either wait to buy it from someone with good feedback, or if time was an issue I'd just buy it new and make up for the difference somewhere else in my budget.

Media mail now includes free delivery confirmation and has an estimated delivery date of a week or less. .

How do you get free DC? Media Mail through USPS it is $1.05; when shipping done through PayPal, it is $0.23. I have shipped out a bunch of books via Media Mail this last week and those were the DC fees. I haven't shipped anything in a while and I was surprised DC wasn't free through PayPal, because I remember it used to be when I have shipped things in the past using Media Mail through PayPal. Just wondering if there was a special option I am missing.

I have never requested priority mail. I have bought lots of used books, they were all shipped media mail, and I have never NOT received an item.

This. I have bought the vast majority of our curriculum used. It has all come media mail and it has all come. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it all comes.

I have had buyers request insurance and I am happy to let them pay for that if they want it. I always keep my shipping receipts until the package arrives, but don't feel responsible for the package once I have paid to send it in the agreed upon fashion. I have never had a package not arrive either. 

Media mail now includes free delivery confirmation and has an estimated delivery date of a week or less.

I mailed two media mail packages this morning and paid $1.05 on each for tracking, so I'm somewhat dubious of your statement.

Regards,

Kareni

How do you get free DC? Media Mail through USPS it is $1.05; when shipping done through PayPal, it is $0.23. I have shipped out a bunch of books via Media Mail this last week and those were the DC fees. I haven't shipped anything in a while and I was surprised DC wasn't free through PayPal, because I remember it used to be when I have shipped things in the past using Media Mail through PayPal. Just wondering if there was a special option I am missing.

At the post office. :) they stick a sticker on it. Personally I'm willing to pay 23c to skip the trip to the post office. They've been doing it for about a year and a half; it may have initially been at only some post offices, but at all the ones around here, you don't even ask, they just do it, for free.

Maybe you can call the post office and ask, but I've seen lots of sellers posting about it online.

(Delivery confirmation has never been free through paypal as far as I know; it was 17c or something before, which was cheaper than 60c at the post office.)

I mailed two media mail packages this morning and paid $1.05 on each for tracking, so I'm somewhat dubious of your statement.

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Since some time last year, multiple local post offices have given me and my husband free DC without asking.

Search for media mail free delivery confirmation and you will see other people who have had the same experience.

Regards,

Kareni

This is the only receipt I happen to have within easy reach. It clearly shows I received a delivery confirmation number WITHOUT a fee. The receipt is from December 2013. I have redacted the tracking number and destination city/ZIP.

I trust this is sufficient evidence to clear my name.

EDIT **deleting photo of receipt that had tracking number assigned to package with no additional fee, since Kareni denies it has any bearing on conversation

This is the only receipt I happen to have within easy reach. It clearly shows I received a delivery confirmation number WITHOUT a fee. The receipt is from December 2013. I have redacted the tracking number and destination city/ZIP.

I trust this is sufficient evidence to clear my name.

USPS.jpg

I think that the label # is a different thing.  My receipt says USPS Tracking # and is followed by a number.  You could enter your label number at USPS.com and see if it is actually a tracking number.

Regards,

Kareni

I think that the label # is a different thing.  My receipt says USPS Tracking # and is followed by a number.  You could enter your label number at USPS.com and see if it is actually a tracking number.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni,

Seriously?!

I cannot believe you are saying this. You are continuing to deny my experience. I have mailed about five packages and received free delivery confirmation. The only receipt I *happen* to have is this one, which was from a third party vendor, and gave me a FREE number. I was able to track it by inquiring directly with a USPS employee. The other ones have a number that I could track on the website.

Maybe this is a regional roll out, because there are other people who get this. The first time it happened, it was to my husband and the PO employee said it's a new system. This was some time in 2013.

I think it's really strange that you continue to tell me that I haven't gotten free delivery confirmation. I have. Sorry, but I don't keep many receipts from mailing packages to my grandma last year. 

Others (unrelated to me) who have received free tracking on media mail:

As you may be aware they have been printing the tracking number on 'em for a while now on the recipts.

I tried tracking the number online a few months ago, when I hadn't paid the extra $1.05 for tracking I was unable to get any details. Now I am getting tracking details on media mail when I don't pay the fee.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Booksellers/Media-Mail-change/td-p/2734741

I shipped a book a day or two ago, and even though I was going to pay for a tracking number, I was told that the USPS now automatically puts a tracking number on all shipments (apparently not including first class letters), so I didn't buy any. 

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2425219

In speaking with a postal clerk yesterday while mailing books, he told me that it is now possible to track media packages with the tracking code # found on receipts,,, AND,,,he said no charge.

Response 

Has been going on for a year now and mentioned on the boards several times

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2804805

I am updating the previous 2 topics now that I know exactly how the new tracking stickers at the post office affects Book sellers who ship media mail.
The NEW system at the post office now prints out the tracking numbers. 

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2859403

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=216979

Tracking is FREE at the p.o. counter for media mail, but of course you can volunteer to pay the $1.05 to help support the USPS

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=2684187

on p1 

Lyndamaye, you do not have to pay to see the USPS tracking that they started using. It's free, and it works. They started it a few weeks ago.

on p 2

Lyndamaye, you are receiving some inaccurate advice here. As you already picked up on, the USPS started providing a tracking number for all packages approximately 2-3 weeks ago FREE.

p3

As I stated, I've been using the FREE tracking numbers for a couple weeks with no problem. If you want to continue to pay for tracking, that is your decision, however as the OP picked up on at her post office, the USPS uses FREE tracking now. The numbers work, no problem. My Post Master who I am also friends with had no idea if the FREE numbers worked for customers or were just internal, so I tried it...and they work...no problem. Have a good day.

Just a side note, no matter how many people point out that I'm wrong, or I don't know what I'm talking about, the USPS now uses FREE TRACKING!

another member on p 3

i sent a package today via media mail and paid for it at the p.o. I did not pay anything for tracking either on-line or at the p.o. 

nonetheless, 5 hours later i can in fact see the tracking info on-line ....SO it certainly seems like the USPS is charging 90 cents or 20 cents to whoever wants to pay them, but is also providing the exact same service for FREE if you just do not bother to buy the tracking .

another post on p 3

what i am saying about USPS and amazon is that since the p.o. does now give free tracking on MM, they should just go ahead and make the MM tracking on amazon free also. We would still get the tracking, it would just be free like FC and PM .

another post on p 4

Had a printer glitch yesterday, so finally gave up, asked for a refund on the postage, and went to Post Office. Discovered there that tracking was free, so saved myself the .20 tracking fee and .07 Amazon fee. 

I was suspicious (have had bad info from this PO before) - but tried it today, and the tracking is working. Amazon needs to catch up with the new realities. I'll gladly pay the .07 to amazon for the ease of printing the labels/postage at home, but the .20 charge for tracking should disappear.

another post on p 5

Today I took a 37 lb. parcel in and sent it media mail. I paid for the postage at the counter.

I did NOT buy tracking.....

So, here it is, guys & dolls -- if you're paying at the counter, don't buy tracking. You'll get it

anyway.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=179005

Experience of cibola07 is exactly like mine

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Booksellers/Media-Mail-change/td-p/2734741

http://sellersoapbox.com/index.php?topic=8017.0

Stripe  :chillpill:

I haven't received free DT with any media mail packages either, so buyer beware. The idea that it is a regional roll-out is a possibility or that PO must have a newer system or something. I have gotten no sticker and no DT without paying for it yet, but I hope your experience is a sign of things to come. 

Kareni,

Seriously?!

I cannot believe you are saying this. You are continuing to deny my experience. ..

My apologies, stripe; it was never my intent to deny your experience.  It's simply that my experience has been so different.  I will certainly be inquiring at the post office about free tracking when I mail my next media mail package.

Regards,

Kareni

I hate to even sell when I have to ship (I prefer local sales) because I find shipping extremely confusing. For example, I purchased two things from ebay a few weeks ago. Both were sent media mail, both from back east. (I'm out west.) One item came within 2 days and had a confirmation number. The other took a week and no confirmation number. I've heard about the elusive confirmation numbers with media mail, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent thing. I really need to go in and ask my post office, since it sounds like it is supposed to come with. I hate my post office, though - it's the only one for miles and there are long lines and lots of um, elderly people. I avoid going to a person at all cost!

To the OP - as a seller, I always just ship priority because I haven't wanted to deal with the uncertainty of media mail. It definitely sounds like I need to contact my local post office because they may offer more than I realize!

As for feedback - are you asking for here or Amazon? At a place like Amazon or ebay I only buy from people with next to perfect feedback. For here, in my experience, people are not the best at leaving feedback. My packages always arrive within 2 days and anything I sell is in next to new condition and I have no feedback. :(

I have sent out books from two different POs in ND and have received PID#s each time, it's a tracking number that works with the USPS tracking tool...

I've wondered if the PID# would work just like a tracking number--our receipt always has that too, and it looks just like the tracking number did the one time I paid for tracking this year. I pay for insurance if I'm shipping something expensive, but not for lesser sales. I've never had anything get lost, and I agree, Media Mail has gotten SO much better--they print when it's due to arrive on the receipt. Many people have told me it got there on time or sooner, and only one of my sales this summer went late--and it was only a day late. 

I have shipped at least 10 books via media mail in the last month, ALL showing a tracking number on the receipt. I noticed it here in VA in the last 2 mos only. Also, some clerks continue to ask if I want to PAY for tracking, I say "no thanks".  I have been able to look up the tracking #'s on USPS site and they have verified delivery every time. 

Now, this is at the larger PO in the city. Outlying PO procedures unknown, as they have never supplied a printed receipt. At my usual small town PO, the clerk doesn't even have a cash register, she still uses an adding machine!

So, here in VA, tracking is on all media mail, without request, and it is free... in larger towns.

To the OP - as a seller, I always just ship priority because I haven't wanted to deal with the uncertainty of media mail. It definitely sounds like I need to contact my local post office because they may offer more than I realize!

As for feedback - are you asking for here or Amazon? At a place like Amazon or ebay I only buy from people with next to perfect feedback. For here, in my experience, people are not the best at leaving feedback. My packages always arrive within 2 days and anything I sell is in next to new condition and I have no feedback. :(

Like a previous poster mentioned, as a seller, I have a $50 threshold.  Once the item is over $50 I might still ship media mail, but I buy insurance and request delivery confirmation.  Usually, if I sell something over $100 I use priority mail.  

As a buyer, I have had several packages arrive opened and one was missing some of the contents.  They were shipped media mail.  Paypal does offer protection, but I really dislike the drama of dealign with it.

As to the feedback, the seller is selling on another curriculum message board.  I have sold there off and on throughout the years and I only have one positive feedback.  People don't want to be bothered.  

The seller is also not very familiar with paypal and is setting up an account.  I know there are people who haven't used paypal, but that did make me wonder if it is a good idea buying from this person.  I'm going ahead with it, though.  New sellers have to start somewhere. She is providing delivery confirmation.

ETA: I've also had a postal employee 'threaten' me with the fact that the PO can open my package 'for inspection' at any time when I refuse priority.  I'm not sending anything I shouldn't, I just worry that they might not be careful rewrapping the package.  Same employee also argued with me about what I am allowed to send media mail.  I had to get her boss and we opened the package together while everyone in line watched her inspect the contents.  In the end she agreed I was allowed to send it media mail, but the experience was very unpleasant and it gives me a clue just how PO employees view media mail packages.    

This free tracking being discussed, I just wonder, in a dispute involving paypal, how does paypal view it?  Is it acceptable proof that the item arrived?  

Ă¢â‚¬â€¹I always ask sellers to email me letting me know the package arrived okay anyway, and so far they have all done so.

This. I have bought the vast majority of our curriculum used. It has all come media mail and it has all come. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it all comes.

I have had buyers request insurance and I am happy to let them pay for that if they want it. I always keep my shipping receipts until the package arrives, but don't feel responsible for the package once I have paid to send it in the agreed upon fashion. I have never had a package not arrive either. 

Just realize that in a dispute paypal does not care if the buyer paid for insurance.  They hold the seller responsible for the items until they have arrived safely and the last time I checked ebay does not allow sellers to request extra for insurance.  You can add it into the price, but can't tell the seller it is up to them whether they want to pay for it.  Paypal views it as up the the seller whether they want to protect themselves or not.  So, if you don't buy insurance, you are on the hook, as the seller.  It is not the buyer's problem.  If items don't arrive, the buyer will be refunded the money whether or not they purchased insurance--that is paypal's policy.  

As a buyer I have purchased insurance, but looking back I don't know why I did. If I understand correctly, even with a tracking number, if the package doesn't arrive, the seller has to refund the buyer. So it doesn't really make sense that the buyer pays for insurance if it's for the seller's benefit...or am I misunderstanding?

No.  You have it right.  See my previous post.

This free tracking being discussed, I just wonder, in a dispute involving paypal, how does paypal view it? Is it acceptable proof that the item arrived?

There will always be cases where the buyer reports that packages don't arrive although it shows delivered. Some of those are true and some are likely bogus. I think most sellers ask the buyer to check with neighbors and the postal carrier, because sometimes those people can help track it down, but I am not sure how PayPal handles this in every case but here is their stated policy.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection-faq

(For that matter, I've also had items that show they are out for delivery, and never say "delivered" even days / weeks after I received them.)

ETA: I've also had a postal employee 'threaten' me with the fact that the PO can open my package 'for inspection' at any time when I refuse priority.  I'm not sending anything I shouldn't, I just worry that they might not be careful rewrapping the package.  Same employee also argued with me about what I am allowed to send media mail.  I had to get her boss and we opened the package together while everyone in line watched her inspect the contents.  In the end she agreed I was allowed to send it media mail, but the experience was very unpleasant and it gives me a clue just how PO employees view media mail packages.    

Our local post office used to say this every time I came in--for years! and suddenly this year, they don't seem to bat an eyelash when I say it's media mail. Not sure what changed!

Don't let lack of feedback stop you---- since February, I have sold upwards of 20 items on Amazon and only 1, count 'em, 1 person has left me feedback, and that's AFTER I sent a (polite) request to everyone. My experience is that most people just don't leave feedback, which boggles the mind when I see businesses with feedback in the thousands, but I have over 10 years on eBay (buying & selling), selling here, and now on Amazon, and I am now only leery about *negative* feedback, as people usually are quick to post that! B)

+1     Possibly I would purchase from someone without feedback, if we lived in the USA and could return it to them if it was not satisfactory, but since we live in South America, the Seller's Feedback and the comments from previous purchasers are extremely important when we  consider buying something on Amazon (mostly we buy there) or on eBay (occasional purchases).

I always try to leave feedback telling what we purchased and how the transaction was, for Amazon and eBay Sellers after we receive what we have purchased.

Thank you for posting feedback for your sellers! :thumbup:

With no feedback (or even with fewer than 100 sales) on Amazon--which I don't do--I'd require something with a tracking number.

Quoting so you can see my comment above about feedback not being the end-all-be-all. I would buy from someone with no feedback, but I am leery of negative feedback.

I hear you! Amazon has a nifty, but hard-to-find way to ask for feedback, but even that doesn't help. At least I now have one 5-star rating. Since I haven't heard otherwise from anyone, I should have upwards of 20! :thumbdown:  I am very picky in what I sell, I give detailed lists, pack well (I am heavy on the tape!), and I shop the same day in may cases, but I have to beg for feedback? Since becoming a seller, I feel bad for skipping all those "new account" folks over the last couple of years and buying from the businesses with tons of feedback (which begs the question HOW do they get all those people to leave feedback?!)

I think that the label # is a different thing. My receipt says USPS Tracking # and is followed by a number. You could enter your label number at USPS.com and see if it is actually a tracking number.

Regards,

Kareni

What stripe is referring to is not a tracking number. It is a label number that you can use to confirm that a package was delivered. You do not receive an email, or postcard confirmation, but it makes it possible to look up the media mail package and verify delivery. In the past, a trace had to be initiated if an mm package was lost, and it was harder to confirm it was delivered if a buyer said it was not. It seems that all packages must be scanned upon delivery now. I actually just sold a bunch of books in the last two weeks, and the lady at the post office was explaining it to me. If you pay for tracking, it allows you to "see" your package each time it is scanned.

HTH

What stripe is referring to is not a tracking number. It is a label number that you can use to confirm that a package was delivered. You do not receive an email, or postcard confirmation, but it makes it possible to look up the media mail package and verify delivery. In the past, a trace had to be initiated if an mm package was lost, and it was harder to confirm it was delivered if a buyer said it was not. It seems that all packages must be scanned upon delivery now. I actually just sold a bunch of books in the last two weeks, and the lady at the post office was explaining it to me. If you pay for tracking, it allows you to "see" your package each time it is scanned.

HTH

Yes, this is what my mail carrier said when I had the same question.  The free one is a delivery confirmation; tracking shows each step of the way if it is scanned.

I actually just sold a bunch of books in the last two weeks, and the lady at the post office was explaining it to me. If you pay for tracking, it allows you to "see" your package each time it is scanned.

HTH

However, often times the PO either does not scan at each sorting facility, or the info is not released, so this Tracking service does little more than the free delivery verification that is currently offered.