Menu

How much would you sacrifice to get your dc braces?

We're really wrestling with this decision. My ds has been to the orthodontist, and he needs braces. I asked the ortho on a scale from 1 to 10, where does ds's *need* for braces fall (because we don't have the luxury of paying for simply cosmetic changes), and he said it's about a 7. I can't remember all the details, but I know that from looking at the x-rays and the photos, and hearing the explanation, I was convinced that ds has to have them. The problems will get worse as he gets older, and it will take more to correct them.

Our insurance will not pay for any of it. Between the down payment and monthly payments, it will pretty much wipe out any extra funds we'd have. We're stretched to the limit as it is now.It will mean paying our monthly bills, and paying for braces, and that's about it. Probably piano lessons and all kids' gymnastics classes will have to end for awhile. This will be really upsetting to them, as it's their only outside activity.

But, I'm thinking that this is a health issue, and a self-esteem issue (because ds's mouth is starting to look not so great, with teeth coming in all over), and that has to take precedence, right?

I could put off actually getting them for a little while, and hope that our income will increase in the meantime, but that would mean losing the $300 something we've already put into this set of molds, etc. We only have through the next two weeks to decide to go forward with these molds. Not to mention that waiting risks ds's mouth getting worse by the time we actually get started.

Has anyone had to sacrifice other things to pay for braces? How did you make that decision?

Erica

I am extremely pro-braces.

It took 3 years of braces, plus 2 years with a retainer to fix my teeth (age 13-18), and they weren't even all that bad. I had a slight overbite and 1 crooked bottom tooth.

My sisters, otoh, didn't get braces when they were younger. One is spending a fortune to correct a few crooked teeth, and one is considering some major mouth work. It makes me feel pretty guilty being content with my whitening toothpaste!

We're really wrestling with this decision. My ds has been to the orthodontist, and he needs braces. I asked the ortho on a scale from 1 to 10, where does ds's *need* for braces fall (because we don't have the luxury of paying for simply cosmetic changes), and he said it's about a 7. I can't remember all the details, but I know that from looking at the x-rays and the photos, and hearing the explanation, I was convinced that ds has to have them. The problems will get worse as he gets older, and it will take more to correct them.

Our insurance will not pay for any of it. Between the down payment and monthly payments, it will pretty much wipe out any extra funds we'd have. We're stretched to the limit as it is now.It will mean paying our monthly bills, and paying for braces, and that's about it. Probably piano lessons and all kids' gymnastics classes will have to end for awhile. This will be really upsetting to them, as it's their only outside activity.

But, I'm thinking that this is a health issue, and a self-esteem issue (because ds's mouth is starting to look not so great, with teeth coming in all over), and that has to take precedence, right?

I could put off actually getting them for a little while, and hope that our income will increase in the meantime, but that would mean losing the $300 something we've already put into this set of molds, etc. We only have through the next two weeks to decide to go forward with these molds. Not to mention that waiting risks ds's mouth getting worse by the time we actually get started.

Has anyone had to sacrifice other things to pay for braces? How did you make that decision?

Erica

just think of how different people look with a neat row of teeth instead of crooked or buck teeth not to mention the problems it can cause with chewing and digesting food.

I know the burden of medical bills but I would say you won't regret the sacrifice. Your son may not thank you now - I hated my braces of course - but he will be ever so glad later on.

When all is said and done, we will probably have spent as much on fixing my mouth as we could on a fairly nice new car (about $25k).

This is from not getting it fixed correctly in the first place (this process should never have cost more than about $7k). It is a health issue. I have chronic TMJ, and have already had one surgery because of it. My TMJ is caused by my teeth being in the wrong places -- and outright missing teeth. I've had four surgeries so far, and I have two more to go. Again, if we had done this right the first time, while I would have had surgeries -- we're talking just the two.

As a result, we're watching the children's development very carefully. My oldest, thus far has no major issues -- he'll need braces, but only for a short time. He'll need one surgery -- in his early 20's or so -- but nothing major.

My dd (6.5), however, has signs of significant malformations which we will begin correcting most likely within the next 12-18 months (at the latest). It will be very costly -- but if we begin taking care of the problem NOW, it will be less painful, less time, and less costly than later.

I understand how you feel about having to give up the gymnastics and fun things. My family is experiencing that right now as well. It hurts me as much as it hurts them. I don't want them to have to sacrifice too.

Financially, there are 5 year loan programs (the interest isn't always great), that might also help lower your payments and make it easier. We borrowed money from dh 401k to pay for part of what we're doing, and paying it back over time as well.

Here's a hug :grouphug:, because I do know what you're going through. For us, it's something we feel we *must* do. It's really not an option. If my parents had been *told* what I'd be facing as an adult, I have a strong feeling they would have taken the 7k option (that's today's dollars, btw -- in real cost, it would have been more like $5k in the 80's).

We have been very blessed in that none of our 4 kids have needed braces. However, I know it would be something I'd do if it needed to be done. Having bad teeth can make a person SO self-conscious. My mom needed dentures. She NEVER smiled that she didn't cover her mouth. She was always so embarrassed. Getting dentures changed her life.

Now I know we're not talking about missing/rotten teeth, but it's a similar thing. If your child is embarrassed about his mouth, that could be a real issue for him down the road...

I vote with the sacrifice crowd. BUT, only if you have an emergency fund in place. I'd consider waiting a bit if you don't. I know it means you'll be out $300, but better to be out $300 right now than to put yourself in a situation where a change in job status could put you over the edge.

I'd get a part-time job or babysit or something. The cost will be how much a month? I'd try really hard not to take all that away from the other kids by finding another way to make some money. But if there was no other way then yes I'd stop the extras.

2 thoughts:

1. health is more important than outside activities. But that may be easier for me to say - we have not been able to afford any outside activities the entire time we've homeschooled but since we never did, there isn't that feeling of giving something up.

2. Check into a discount dental plan. You pay a low yearly amount (either for an individual or for the entire family). Then participating dentists agree to charge you a set sum for different procedures. I would google "discount dental plan". I have one by Aetna. We haven't needed to do the braces yet but I did notice that there is one set fee for braces.

I'll come down on the opposite side. I wouldn't get braces for a child/teen. I was really surprised when we lived in Latin America that braces were something that young adults (20 somethings) got. But at that age, the treatment time was usually shorter and the patient was very committed to following the regime. I asked dh's aunt and cousin who are both dentists although not orthodontists and they said that treating adults was the standard and that they wouldn't recommend braces for a child unless they had a serious deformation.

At the very least, I'd get a second opinion about the treatment plan and timing for braces. There can be a big difference of opinion between orthodontists.

I hope you can reach a decision that your whole family agrees with.

Middle dd had her braces about 1 year when oldest dd was ready for hers. Oldest dd also needed $$$ surgery too--we fought and won an insurance battle for that one!!!

It HURT. We cut back--but not really as much as we thought we would have to.. we found other small ways to stretch our budget and it worked.

DD's have beautiful smiles now--but the best part is that they are PAIN free--both had jaw issues--neither one had real cosmetic issues--but it makes a HUGE difference when your teeth do not match up (think chewing).

Get a 2nd opinion--or look around for the best payment plan for your family.

This is a health issue.

If he needs them, I would get them for him. But I would probably contact a local dental school and see if they offer braces cheaper. I know we have a local dental school and the cost is quite a bit less. But yes, I would definitely intend on doing this for my child if he or she needed it.

Anita

If you aren't keeping track of medical expenses for taxes, do so now. This extra expense could throw you over to the side of qualifying for the medical deduction. We've gotten it every year for 6 years now. It make a big difference for us.

Some problems are more easily fixed when the mouth is still growing. My dd had braces at age 8. Thirty years ago my best friend has the same problem. Back then the way to fix it was to wait until the child was fully grown, then break the jaw, move it and wire the mouth shut for a long time (senior year was fun).

If teeth are growing in at all angles then you've got more than a cosmetic issue. You have a health issue and the health issue will become a self esteem issue for your dc. My niece has teeth at odd angles. Niece is 13 and doesn't have braces. Money is not an issue. Niece is always covering her mouth and doesn't smile much anymore. Her self consciousness is really showing. My sister says the orthodontist wants to wait. Niece's mouth is bad enough I would have gotten a second opinion.

At the very least, I'd get a second opinion about the treatment plan and timing for braces. There can be a big difference of opinion between orthodontists.

I hope you can reach a decision that your whole family agrees with.

:iagree: We experienced this last year. First ortho said dd NEEDS braces NOW, estimated cost was $6,500, and time frame 42 months. He said that growth does not help overcrowding.

DD is the type that does what she wants and doesn't worry about what anyone else thinks of her (in a good way). She doesn't want braces and she is not self-conscious about her looks. The truth is, she's beautiful even with her slightly crooked teeth. So I took her for a 2nd opinion.

Second ortho looks in her mouth, says she has moderate crowding and moderate overbite, he doesn't recommend treatment yet, and come back in a year. I asked him what the ramifications would be if dd didn't get braces at all and explained that she doesn't want to get braces. He said there is no scientific evidence to support braces for any purpose other than cosmetic; so if she's happy with her looks, not getting braces is not a big deal. He also said that growth does sometimes relieve overcrowding (hmm, opposite of the other ortho's statement).

Interesting factoid, ortho #2 is much younger than ortho #1, so I expected him to be the more aggressive of the two. But instead, ortho #2 was very upfront to say that he is a science based practitioner, and the current science tells us that braces are cosmetic only.

As far as effectiveness for cosmetics, I had lots of friends whose teeth went crooked again after having braces. Of my older nieces and nephews, two of the nieces had braces as teenagers and they are both in their mid to late twenties now. One of them has gorgeous teeth, the other has crooked teeth (but even with her crooked teeth, she is pretty enough to be a model).

All that said, if my kids had severely crowded, crooked teeth, I would pay for braces if they wanted them. I won't encourage braces for slight to moderate problems, because I just don't think it's a big deal to have imperfect teeth, and I have seen that braces are not always effective. As for what other people think, unless the imperfections are severe, most people never notice them or pay them much attention. All my life I was self-conscious about the gap between my front teeth until I mentioned it to a few friends and they responded, "You have a gap?"

I'm not sure what one would consider moderate or extreme, but my son has teeth coming in through his gums on top of his other other teeth. I think that's pretty severe!! It's hard for me to imagine anyone being okay with that, honestly.

So for us, it's not really a matter of if, but when. We're so tight right now, that it's tempting to put it off. I'm just now sure whether things will ever be better financially, so I'm wondering if we should just jump in now. :confused:

Erica

If I could do it all again I would have found a way to put braces on my oldest. Now to fix his underbite would require six months of braces followed by major surgery and his mouth wired shut for several weeks. He is working on building his career, he can't do that right now.

Oh, the regrets.

We have had 6 out of 10 in braces so far. I did find out recently that the next in line won't need them! Hooray!! But my dd after her will in about a year. So far we have spent around $20K. I have a wonderful orthodontist. He gave us #6 in braces free. He does this for large families. The first three we did without any insurance, the next three a small of amount was covered by insurance. My dc were not typical orto cases, but very complex. There was no question in them having to have them. Yes, it was a big sacrifice, but I wouln't do it any different.

Interesting factoid, ortho #2 is much younger than ortho #1, so I expected him to be the more aggressive of the two. But instead, ortho #2 was very upfront to say that he is a science based practitioner, and the current science tells us that braces are cosmetic only.

Really?:confused: I think I'd have to disagree with that. I'm no ortho but my 12yr old is in braces right now. Her overbite was so bad that she was actually biting into her palette. That had to be fixed to protect the roof of her mouth. Fifteen months later, now, her overbite is almost completly fixed and she no longer bites into her palette. That was definitely not a cosmetic issue. BTW, her teeth were not particularly crooked before we started so our decision to go with braces was not cosmetic.

My 15yo does not have perfect teeth but his bite is healthy. I took him for a consult and the ortho said that some cosmetic tweaking could make his teeth perfect but that it wasn't necessary for his oral health. We decided not to spend the $5K on braces for what amounted to a minor cosmetic fix.

To answer the OP, in my daughter's case, I would definitely have sacrificed almost anything to protect her mouth. In my son's case, no, I would not make the sacrifice. He can make his teeth "perfect" out of his own pocket later if he likes.;)

My daughter's in braces now and her twin brother will be starting soon (boys often don't lose their baby teeth as early as girls, so we've been waiting for the last of his baby teeth to fall out). It's a financial struggle, but DH and I feel it's worth it.

I didn't have braces as a kid, and I've always been very self-conscious about my smile. And my teeth aren't even that bad -- straight but with several gaps. If I ever had "extra" money sitting around, out of all my flaws, that's the one I'd most like to fix.

no question, we absolutely will provide braces for our children if/when they need them (considering we both had them as teens i'm guessing that at least one kid will need them, though so far their pediatric dentist has said the first two won't...)

i would take on part time work to pay for it if i had to, but we will pay for it one way or another. i think braces are best addressed during adolescence, when the jawbone is still growing.

I would sacrifice a whole lot to get my child braces. I needed braces as a child, but my mother couldn't afford it (my father died when I was 8 years old). My teeth didn't look that bad, but I had some more serious issues.

I finally was able to get braces as an adult, and I also had to have surgery--a surgery I would not have needed if I had had braces as a child. The surgeon did further damage, so 17 years later I'm still in a lot of pain. I've spent almost $20,000 over the past 5.5 years to try to get out of pain, and I'm back in braces as well. Oh, how I wish I could have gotten braces as a child!

I'd give up extra classes, scrimp on groceries, cancel my cable and internet, get rid of cell phones, cancel my newspaper, and even start babysitting to make sure the kids had braces.

My oldest has just started a few months ago. His younger brother will get braces in the next few months.

Dental care is just as important as health care in my book.

I grew up very poor. I didn't get regular dental care. I swore that my children would not end up with teeth like mine.

I'm not sure what one would consider moderate or extreme, but my son has teeth coming in through his gums on top of his other other teeth. I think that's pretty severe!! It's hard for me to imagine anyone being okay with that, honestly.

So for us, it's not really a matter of if, but when. We're so tight right now, that it's tempting to put it off. I'm just now sure whether things will ever be better financially, so I'm wondering if we should just jump in now. :confused:

Erica

That's a hard place to be in. Is there any possibility your kids could qualify for medicaid? My younger sister adopted through the foster system, so her kids will have medicaid until they're 18 yo, and I know it covered braces for two of her kids.

Do you happen to have a car payment or something that will be paid off in a year or so? If so, could you wait and start the dental treatment then?

If you have to get a pt job to cover the payments, is that something you're willing to do? Could you get a pt job before the braces to save up at least part of the cost to either pay up front or have a cushion in the bank?

:grouphug:

Really?:confused: I think I'd have to disagree with that. I'm no ortho but my 12yr old is in braces right now. Her overbite was so bad that she was actually biting into her palette. That had to be fixed to protect the roof of her mouth. Fifteen months later, now, her overbite is almost completly fixed and she no longer bites into her palette. That was definitely not a cosmetic issue. BTW, her teeth were not particularly crooked before we started so our decision to go with braces was not cosmetic.

I'd have to say that's an obvious exception!

Agreeing with the others here, we would do whatever it took. This is something we are going to be facing in the next year or 2. We will just have to find a way......cut back/cut out extra-curricular activities, get rid of cable tv, no vacations, sell stuff on ebay(i.e. kids clothes, old books, movies, whatever) etc.

But instead, ortho #2 was very upfront to say that he is a science based practitioner, and the current science tells us that braces are cosmetic only.

What a strange thing for an orthodontist to say! I have braces right now as an adult. My teeth are straight and look great (before braces). I got the braces because my mid-line had shifted dramatically due to an uneven amount of teeth. The lack of alignment was giving me headaches and a sore jaw. It was going to just get worse as the years passed. I have the braces for health reasons, not cosmetic.

Hmmm, I wounder what type of training that orthodontist has had in order to make a statement like that.

[interesting factoid, ortho #2 is much younger than ortho #1, so I expected him to be the more aggressive of the two. But instead, ortho #2 was very upfront to say that he is a science based practitioner, and the current science tells us that braces are cosmetic only.quote]

I do not agree with this statement. My husband didn't have braces as a child (although his older sister and brother were given them) but did get them as an adult. His jaw would click in and out of place and it was painful. They wanted him to have surgery but we couldn't afford it as our insurance would not pay for it. They didn't pay for the braces either but we could afford them. Thankfully, the braces did solve his problem and we are so happy he was able to get them.

Our oldest dd has already had braces and our ds is now in them. I knew with my teeth and my husband's teeth all of our children would need them so it wasn't a shock. It is expensive... but we will never regret getting them braces.

I believe there are, not only government programs, but also volunteer type programs that will pay for this (where dentists, etc, donate time for this). Help for kids is something that people give a lot of--I would call your local social services office, then health dep't, then state hosp or teaching hosp (if they have a dental school) and, if they can't help, check online. I bet there is something you can find to help fund it.

If not, I would check on how much worse it will get, and lower cost alternatives right now (like partial braces, pulling teeth, etc.), see if there are any options that will not harm him, and that might work as well. Some orthos are strongly against certain practices that may work just as well as others just on principle, and you should know all options--if nothing else, take him for a second opinion (I get ads all the time for exams from dentists and orthos). Make sure you know all options before making your decision.

Also, take into consideration a few other things. If you get him braces now, and he finishes in a few years, he is still growing--can that effect his teeth later on? Will he need more sets of retainers if he starts off early? Is there a chance he will have to have braces put back on later, if his jaw grows a lot, or changes shape? And how likely do you think he is to diligently use his retainer, at a young age? I'd consider all of that before I did it. My goddaughter had braces instead of having teeth pulled, and never used her retainer, and her teeth are worse than they would have been without the braces.

Good luck!

My nephew came to live with us a year ago and when we took him to the dentist, we were told he really needed braces. There were many reasons he needed them. We did not have insurance either. My first reaction was, he could get them when he was an adult (he was 16.5 then). We did not have insurance for him and would have to pay for it ourselves. Then I thought about self esteem and job interviews and we decided to do it. He smiles more now and is more outgoing with his braces on. I think if many items need to be corrected, in today's world, it is needed to succeed.

Thank you all so much for your responses. Reading them all helped get my thoughts together, and get a better perspective on the situation. I talked it over with dh, and we've come up with a plan. Since we are extremely tight right now, and the large downpayment would really put us in a serious pinch, we are going to wait until next Feb. when we get our tax return and dh's bonus, to begin the braces process. Doing that will mean losing that $300 we spent for the last molds, but it's what we have to do right now. But we are definitely going to go forward with braces, because we do want ds to have a healthy, normal smile. If that means sacrificing in other areas, even requiring the children to sacrifice in other areas (which is the hardest thing for me to do!!), that's what we'll do.

In the meantime, I will look into a second opinion and cheaper options, to see if I can find anything else that would cost less. Otherwise, we'll just forward with our original plan in the new year.

Thank you again so much! You all were a great help!

Erica

:iagree: We experienced this last year. First ortho said dd NEEDS braces NOW, estimated cost was $6,500, and time frame 42 months. He said that growth does not help overcrowding.

DD is the type that does what she wants and doesn't worry about what anyone else thinks of her (in a good way). She doesn't want braces and she is not self-conscious about her looks. The truth is, she's beautiful even with her slightly crooked teeth. So I took her for a 2nd opinion.

Second ortho looks in her mouth, says she has moderate crowding and moderate overbite, he doesn't recommend treatment yet, and come back in a year. I asked him what the ramifications would be if dd didn't get braces at all and explained that she doesn't want to get braces. He said there is no scientific evidence to support braces for any purpose other than cosmetic; so if she's happy with her looks, not getting braces is not a big deal. He also said that growth does sometimes relieve overcrowding (hmm, opposite of the other ortho's statement).

As far as effectiveness for cosmetics, I had lots of friends whose teeth went crooked again after having braces. Of my older nieces and nephews, two of the nieces had braces as teenagers and they are both in their mid to late twenties now. One of them has gorgeous teeth, the other has crooked teeth (but even with her crooked teeth, she is pretty enough to be a model).

All that said, if my kids had severely crowded, crooked teeth, I would pay for braces if they wanted them. I won't encourage braces for slight to moderate problems, because I just don't think it's a big deal to have imperfect teeth, and I have seen that braces are not always effective. As for what other people think, unless the imperfections are severe, most people never notice them or pay them much attention. All my life I was self-conscious about the gap between my front teeth until I mentioned it to a few friends and they responded, "You have a gap?"

I agree with much of what you say, that some kids probably don't need braces if the crowding is slight. I disagree that in every situation braces are purely cosmetic. With regard to letting your child make the choice, I will share this--my husband did not get braces as a child. His parents offered and he declined, thinking he felt fine about his teeth. Well, as an adult he was unhappy with his teeth and did get braces. It was a lot of money for us. I wished his parents had insisted and so did he by this time. I also don't think a gap between teeth is something that necessarily needs fixed. Look at Lauren Hutton.

Anita

Anita

I am on the side of getting them as well, and we are making the sacrifice. I have 2 that are in the process of getting their braces on. It is a huge payment in my mind every month and there are no extra's right now. I hope you are able to come to a peaceful end to this dilemma. :grouphug:

I think braces should be coved by health insurance becasue of the many problems it can cause to one's health if not done.