Menu

WHERE do I get pants for my skinny/tall son???

Ginevra

I do not understand what long pants options exist for ds14! I am so frustrated about this right now! It isn't even that he's "extremely" tall or thin, just maybe moreso than typical? His waist is about 26-27", but his inseam is 31-32". I *desperately* need to get him khakis for the school he will be starting at Aug 25th. I cannot find any such thing. I have bought him one pair, that are 29/30s. They are too big really and barely making it in the length, but it is the only thing I can find that is close enough. With a belt, he could wear them, they just look ill-fitting through the front.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Guest inoubliable

My kiddo has good luck at Old Navy with their super skinny pants. They have school uniforms on sale now, should be pretty easy to find khakis there. 

I have had good luck with Levi's. I actually found two pairs last year that were 27 waist 32 length. This year I ordered some slim pants from Johnnie B in 28 L. The waist is a little big, but overall my son really likes the way they fit.

Here's the link to them.

http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Boys-9-16yrs-Pants-Jeans/Jeans/82062/Boys-9-16yrs-Slim-Jeans.html?NavGroupID=19

My son is super skinny and he was so happy when we found the Epic brand at Macy's. The have regular, skinny and super skinny jeans. I've always had to buy him the super skinny and they fit him like normal jeans. He's filled out a bit this year so we may be able to get away with just the skinny jeans this year. Good luck.

Mine's was a little taller and a little wider (29x34) but last year someone mentioned American Eagle.  We found some jeans there in a skinny style, My son actually prefers a less fitted style but it might be another option. If you can't find the exact size you need you might be able to go up and still not have them look baggy because they were some very form fitting jeans.

I'll be looking into these other choices too since we are now looking for  30x36's for the upcoming year.

Land's End for khakis

Old navy for tall skinny

Levi's is pretty close.

Nordstroms for suits and dress pants. They tailor for free and have an extended line of teens clothes. Tall skinny 30yo friends of mine get their suits at Nordstroms children's dept.

I am 5-5 and slim. My son is 6-3. I weigh more. Tell me about skinny.

My son has the same measurements. Lands End. Buy the 26" or 28" waistband (use their size chart), and then have the custom length done for free.  We just bought unhemmed slacks for the first time; I am going to put in the hem but leave the length so I can let the hems down as he grows.  Once he is solidly into a 28" waistband it gets *much* easier to find slacks.

Another Lands End fan here.  I also find that Old Navy runs long. My kid is skinny but only slightly tall for his age. I don't need tall, just slim cut.

And once a manager at Gap told me that the Slim sizes are the same as the 'husky' in the lower size. So, a 14S is the same pant as a 13H.  It is handy to know if you are having trouble finding a specific size. It is at least worth a shot to try it on. I haven't had to try it with other brands, but have kept it in the back of my mind.

I feel your pain.  My son is 6'8" and pants are nightmare.  The only ones that I can find to fit him now are Wranglers.  Cheapest on Walmart website, but more selection on Wranglers website. 

We used to buy some at Kohl's that were Vans brand.  I think they were technically "skinny" jeans, but they fit my son like regular.  He's too big for them now, though.

My 5'11" 108 lb. teen gets 28x32 skinny jeans at American Eagle. He still has to wear a belt, but they are the only jeans that look reasonably decent on him. They are regularly 49.99 but go on sale for 30.00 so when that happens, I buy 3 pair. My eldest boy, 5'10" and 120 lbs wears the same ones just 30" in seam because like his father, he was born without a butt or hip bones so slim jeans from Old Navy are still quite baggy.

When they need new black or khaki pants for dress, I have to order them custom from Lands End and pay premium...sigh...so they wear jeans to church most of the time to preserve the other pants for weddings, funerals, and college interviews.

My 5'11" 108 lb. teen gets 28x32 skinny jeans at American Eagle. He still has to wear a belt, but they are the only jeans that look reasonably decent on him. They are regularly 49.99 but go on sale for 30.00 so when that happens, I buy 3 pair. My eldest boy, 5'10" and 120 lbs wears the same ones just 30" in seam because like his father, he was born without a butt or hip bones so slim jeans from Old Navy are still quite baggy.

When they need new black or khaki pants for dress, I have to order them custom from Lands End and pay premium...sigh...so they wear jeans to church most of the time to preserve the other pants for weddings, funerals, and college interviews.

Do you have Burlington Coat Factory?  They are somewhat common on this side of the lake but not sure if they spread to your side or not.  Anyways when DS was smaller I found that size dress pants (and the equally rare 30x34) there for about $20 - 25.00 a pair.

My son has the same measurements. Lands End. Buy the 26" or 28" waistband (use their size chart), and then have the custom length done for free.  We just bought unhemmed slacks for the first time; I am going to put in the hem but leave the length so I can let the hems down as he grows.  Once he is solidly into a 28" waistband it gets *much* easier to find slacks.

This is great! I did exactly this. We will see how they work out when they arrive.

Try Rue21 for jeans and Express for dress pants. Buckle also has longer lengths but you will pay a lot for them.

Yeah, we had been to Rue 21 before I posted. We did score some adequate jeans (including one that was $7!), but they had no khaki types that would fit the dress code. We went next door to Pac Sun; they had khakis that probably would have worked, but they were $60. That is just too much for school pants that he most likely will not wear elsewhere. I would assume Zbuckle would be at least that much. P.s. Rue 21 was where we got literally all his shorts this summer, because they had small waist sizes, ds liked the styles, and they were cheap as I could ever hope.

Do you have Burlington Coat Factory?  They are somewhat common on this side of the lake but not sure if they spread to your side or not.  Anyways when DS was smaller I found that size dress pants (and the equally rare 30x34) there for about $20 - 25.00 a pair.

There is one Burlington I could try. It is pretty far away, but I may try that. He will need a suit this fall and I have been mulling over where I will go that will hopefully not be horribly expensive, yet will have some nice-looking, stylish options.

i remember those times! JcPenney worked for us-online. Stores don't seem to carry the unusual sizes, but it's super easy online. And once we found what worked, he was fine with the same thing again and again until he grew big enough to fit in traditional sizes and had more choice. Sometimes we got lucky at Marshalls. They seem to have a lot of young mens clothes that run slim.

It will pass, and you will be astonished at the man looking back at you one day.

Glad you found some at Land's End.  We bought from Levi's when my son was that size.  Online you can get 28/32, and even 28/34, which is what he needed last year.  Now he needs 29/36.  If your son gets tall (my 14 year old is 6'2") American Eagle was the only option.  Even then I had to settle for 30/36, but a belt works.