Menu

Can I believe homosexuality is wrong and still be friends with a Lesbian?

kentuckymom

I didn't take that as snark.  There are in fact religious people who do not see it as a sin or a problem.  There are gay people who are religious too.

I am very religious. And I do not see it as a sin or a problem. I have gay friends, who have kids, who take their children to church and even prayed that their surrogate would stay pregnant. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, but does anyone see a problem with referring to being gay as a mistake and a sin?  If you said my marriage and feelings and love were a mistake and a sin, how on earth could I be friends with you?

I do not see a problem with that. I have some friends where I cannot stand their husbands. I think their marriage is wrong, for whatever reason. It is not keeping me from being friends. I am sure there are people who don't like my husband. You don't have to love everything about someone to like that person. If you did, you would like no one.

I am Christian with quite a few gay friends and family, and I love them very much.  God can sort it all out however He wants.  I don't really care about their orientation because it is a nonissue for me.

I lost a lot of my judgmentalism during my divorce, when many Christians I know tossed me out with yesterday's garbage because of their disapproval.  Most of them never spoke to me again.  Who the hell made them responsible for deciding I was so big a sinner they could not even speak to me?

So be gay or not.  I don't care.  What I care about in a friendship is a kind heart.  If you have that, you're in.  I'll take 100 kind gay people (Christian or otherwise) over 1 judgmental, hateful Christian.

For God's sake (literally), people, give other people the same courtesy you hope they will give to you.  If you cannot, move on and stick to your own "kind".  More gay friends for me. :D

(Please excuse my rudeness in this post.  I always try to be nice, but my nice ran out a few miles back.)

ETA:  OP, my outrage is not directed at you.  I think you asked an honest question.  Please do not personalize my soapbox rantings.

We have several gay friends and clients, and most of them aren't spending their time attending Pride parades and frequenting "gay hang-out establishments." :rolleyes:

They're normal people who go to work every day and go home at night and spend time with their kids, and they go to the park and they go to the diner and they stay home and watch TV... the exact same things straight families do.

You're making it sound like there's some secret society of gay people, living their incredibly different lives by only associating with other gay people and doing "gay stuff" that's totally different from what everyone else is doing.

That hasn't been my experience at all.

The OP is talking about a gay couple with children. What do you think they're doing that's so different from what your family does? :confused:

No "secret society".  That's old school to keep your business to yourself. 

Very vocal and public today, though I am sure that it is only a minority of the population, but for a minority, they sure get a ton of news coverage around here.

People with kids are probably exhausted like everyone else.  I know that hundreds of kids are taken to Pride events by their parents though, by the photos.  There's something we don't do. 

My denomination would not recognize you as married but consider you to be living in sin. If you were to convert, you would need to have your civil union formally blessed by the church. Now if you had been married in a different Christian denomination, that marriage would be recognized as valid and you would not need to go through with a formal blessing.

I guess I should have been clearer. The govt does already provide " a legal mechanism for couples to formally commit to each other " and it is by marriage. Your views of morality and sin have nothing to do with it.

We have several gay friends and clients, and most of them aren't spending their time attending Pride parades and frequenting "gay hang-out establishments." :rolleyes:

They're normal people who go to work every day and go home at night and spend time with their kids, and they go to the park and they go to the diner and they stay home and watch TV... the exact same things straight families do.

You're making it sound like there's some secret society of gay people, living their incredibly different lives by only associating with other gay people and doing "gay stuff" that's totally different from what everyone else is doing.

That hasn't been my experience at all.

The OP is talking about a gay couple with children. What do you think they're doing that's so different from what your family does? :confused:

:iagree:  And actually I have quite a few straight friends, who are married (to guys), have children and regularly attend Pride parades and events supporting equal rights for same sex couples.  They also march against Monsanto, rescue dogs and go to church on Sundays.

I am Christian with quite a few gay friends and family, and I love them very much.  God can sort it all out however He wants.  I don't really care about their orientation because it is a nonissue for me.

I lost a lot of my judgmentalism during my divorce, when many Christians I know tossed me out with yesterday's garbage because of their disapproval.  Most of them never spoke to me again.  Who the hell made them responsible for deciding I was so big a sinner they could not even speak to me?

So be gay or not.  I don't care.  What I care about in a friendship is a kind heart.  If you have that, you're in.  I'll take 100 kind gay people (Christian or otherwise) over 1 judgmental, hateful Christian.

For God's sake (literally), people, give other people the same courtesy you hope they will give to you.  If you cannot, move on and stick to your own "kind".  More gay friends for me. :D

(Please excuse my rudeness in this post.  I always try to be nice, but my nice ran out a few miles back.)

ETA:  OP, my outrage is not directed at you.  I think you asked an honest question.  Please do not personalize my soapbox rantings.

I'm sorry that you were ostracized during/after your divorce. That never should have happened, and DOES happen - a lot.  It even happens to widows - who are not divorced - when other couples drop them because it is uncomfortable to be with a single, or because, ridiculously, they worry that the single will be attractive to their own husbands.  I've seen that dynamic too.  Wrong, wrong, wrong. 

People who love you should be there for you.  Your church, if you have one, should be there for you.   

"More gay friends for me"      Ha ha. 

I do not see a problem with that. I have some friends where I cannot stand their husbands. I think their marriage is wrong, for whatever reason. It is not keeping me from being friends. I am sure there are people who don't like my husband. You don't have to love everything about someone to like that person. If you did, you would like no one.

This! 

Sometimes you like the wife and can't stand the husband!  Or vice versa.  That doesn't mean that you can't be friends with someone and share time on things you have in common, but it would be wise to keep your personal feelings about the spouse to yourself.   

No "secret society".  That's old school to keep your business to yourself. 

Very vocal and public today, though I am sure that it is only a minority of the population, but for a minority, they sure get a ton of news coverage around here.

People with kids are probably exhausted like everyone else.  I know that hundreds of kids are taken to Pride events by their parents though, by the photos.  There's something we don't do.

Yes, but I'm sure there are plenty of things other straight couples do with their kids that you don't do, as well.

I just don't think the average gay couple with kids is living a dramatically different everyday life than the average straight couple with kids is living.

Are there exceptions? Sure there are. But most of the gay couples we know aren't shouting from the rooftops that they're gay. They're not trying to prove anything or draw attention to themselves. They're just living their lives, like everyone else.

Yes, but I'm sure there are plenty of things other straight couples do with their kids that you don't do, as well.

I just don't think the average gay couple with kids is living a dramatically different everyday life than the average straight couple with kids is living.

Are there exceptions? Sure there are. But most of the gay couples we know aren't shouting from the rooftops that they're gay. They're not trying to prove anything or draw attention to themselves. They're just living their lives, like everyone else.

Undoubtedly other couples do things with their kids that I don't do, since I am old as dirt.  ;)  I'm not out there hiking with the 22 year old Moms (though I should be!).  That's true. 

All I know is what I see in the news, which I am sure is not representative of all of any demographic.  I do have friends (male couple) who do keep their business to themselves, but have no kids. 

Undoubtedly other couples do things with their kids that I don't do, since I am old as dirt. ;) I'm not out there hiking with the 22 year old Moms (though I should be!). That's true.

All I know is what I see in the news, which I am sure is not representative of all of any demographic. I do have friends (male couple) who do keep their business to themselves, but have no kids.

I'm right there with you when it comes to not hiking.

Maybe we can sit around and have coffee and cupcakes together while the younger moms go out and exercise for us. I think it counts as exercise if we sit on the sidelines (well, in a nice air-conditioned coffee shop...) and cheer them on. :)

If I thought I was friends with you and I found out you 'couldn't stand' my husband or judged my marriage as 'wrong' then I can promise that you would not be my friend any longer. My loyalty is to my partner and children. Why would I be friends with someone who is not supportive of my family?

I'm right there with you when it comes to not hiking.

Maybe we can sit around and have coffee and cupcakes together while the younger moms go out and exercise for us. I think it counts as exercise if we sit on the sidelines (well, in a nice air-conditioned coffee shop...) and cheer them on. :)

Yes, too bad I can't pay someone to exercise two hours a day for me and then reap the benefit of their exercise in my body!  Darn. 

Sure, let's hit the coffee shop!  ;)

If I thought I was friends with you and I found out you 'couldn't stand' my husband or judged my marriage as 'wrong' then I can promise that you would not be my friend any longer. My loyalty is to my partner and children. Why would I be friends with someone who is not supportive of my family?

Maybe she IS supportive of your family in this hypothetical.  She didn't say she hated your husband.  Maybe your husband just has an annoying laugh, or he orders you around all the time, and you blow it off, but due to her own background, she bristles inwardly.

Really, she can't be your friend?  And still love you and your kids - and even your annoying husband,  being there for you if you need anything?

I disagree. 

Ron and Justin are gay men who a very close friends. I saw a talk they did at Seattle Pacific University. I think I watched on youtube eta: https://www.youtube.com/ watch?v=UMW43vdyTCU I broke the link so it doesn't load up on this screen. At any rate, it was a good model of difference of theology on this issues not being a stumbling block to relationship.

Website here

On “Side A†Justin believes that God blesses same-sex marriages.

On “Side B†Ron believes that God calls gay Christians to lifelong celibacy.

Both Justin and Ron are gay Christians, but they have very different views about sex, relationships, and the Bible.  Whether you agree with Justin or with Ron (or perhaps with neither!), you can feel welcome here.

But how is it possible for Christians with such differing views to live together in community?  Just ask Tony and Peggy Campolo. Tony is a well-known Baptist minister who believes (as Ron does) that homosexual relationships are forbidden in the Bible.  His wife Peggy disagrees, and supports her gay friends and their marriages.  You can listen to Tony and Peggy talk about how they deal with it by clicking here.

Maybe she IS supportive of your family in this hypothetical.  She didn't say she hated your husband.  Maybe your husband just has an annoying laugh, or he orders you around all the time, and you blow it off, but due to her own background, she bristles inwardly.

Really, she can't be your friend?  And still love you and your kids - and even your annoying husband,  being there for you if you need anything?

I disagree. 

I cannot respond to the qualifiers that you are adding in, because that is not the post I was responding to. I am responding to what I quoted above. You can add in all the 'but what if' you want and make your own scenario. My response to the post above stands. 

I stopped reading replies, but yes, you can.  Life is too short to forgo a friendship, because you believe differently.  I do think you should be honest, and let her know your feelings, but that you enjoy her and her wife's company.  You might grow spiritually from the experience.  Do you think Jesus would have turned his back on her, or befriended her?  Something to think about...   

It's curious to note how many people in this thread who oppose the homosexual lifestyle say you can still be friends, and how many people who support the gay lifestyle say you can't be friends. Interesting. I'm going to ponder this for a while...

Well, look at it this way.

People who look on homosexual love in a negative way tend to say it is a "sin" like stealing or something else evil.  Now, much religious expression is coming to say it is an action, independent of the person. As we've seen many times on this thread. "Hate the sin. Love the sinner."   "I am a friend with Mike, though he has a bad temper. So, I can be friends with Marcy because she has sexual relations with a woman. Same thing."

People who are gay or support gay people do not believe this is a sin. They tend to believe homosexuality is a part of a person similar to skin color, natural talents, handedness, etc.  Expressing their sexuality is not sin, independent of them. Some action that is divorced from their "soul." It is an expression of humanness and love, as it is for heterosexuals in committed relationships.  Sexuality is a deep meaningful part of us. To look on this as an abomination is really an expression of loathing against the very depth of a person.  If someone believed something intrinsic about me and my family was truly evil, I'd have a hard time being friends with that person.  

I think that's why most people who support gay rights come at it from this direction and conservative religious people from the other.

Though to some religious people say, "Oh, it's just a bad action, like eating too much, we can be friends," to the gay person it's much deeper. You don't just separate your physical love of another person from you yourself.  "Oh, this person only thinks my love toward my partner is wicked, but she doesn't think I'm wicked, so we can totally be buddies!"

Whatever exists between the OP and her potential friend is between them, but they're from two totally different perspectives. They'll have to bridge this if they want to be friends.

I don't think I could be friends with a person who believed my love for my family was wicked, or even "just a sin, like gluttony." I can't see it, but maybe the OP's lesbian friend is a better person than me. She certainly doesn't have to be, though. :)

Maybe these are 'My Little Pony " horses? Those are pretty gay.....

All those rainbows and sparkles and talking about love.

Can't be! There's that whole group of (straight) guys who like My Little Pony.... What are they called again? Bronies!! That's it!

Thank goodness for Google!

Well, look at it this way.

People who look on homosexual love in a negative way tend to say it is a "sin" like stealing or something else evil.  Now, much religious expression is coming to say it is an action, independent of the person. As we've seen many times on this thread. "Hate the sin. Love the sinner."   "I am a friend with Mike, though he has a bad temper. So, I can be friends with Marcy because she has sexual relations with a woman. Same thing."

People who are gay or support gay people do not believe this is a sin. They tend to believe homosexuality is a part of a person similar to skin color, natural talents, handedness, etc.  Expressing their sexuality is not sin, independent of them. Some action that is divorced from their "soul." It is an expression of humanness and love, as it is for heterosexuals in committed relationships.  Sexuality is a deep meaningful part of us. To look on this as an abomination is really an expression of loathing against the very depth of a person.  If someone believed something intrinsic about me and my family was truly evil, I'd have a hard time being friends with that person.  

I think that's why most people who support gay rights come at it from this direction and conservative religious people from the other.

Though to some religious people say, "Oh, it's just a bad action, like eating too much, we can be friends," to the gay person it's much deeper. You don't just separate your physical love of another person from you yourself.  "Oh, this person only thinks my love toward my partner is wicked, but she doesn't think I'm wicked, so we can totally be buddies!"

Whatever exists between the OP and her potential friend is between them, but they're from two totally different perspectives. They'll have to bridge this if they want to be friends.

I don't think I could be friends with a person who believed my love for my family was wicked, or even "just a sin, like gluttony." I can't see it, but maybe the OP's lesbian friend is a better person than me. She certainly doesn't have to be, though. :)

This was beautiful! So much nicer than what I've been reciting in my head. ;)

Probably they're all gay and you're just too dimwitted to notice. ;)

But I mean, hey, I can't exactly criticize, because I didn't even know about the horse people.

:D :D :D :D

Or it could be that I am too busy wiping the drool from my mouth before it freezes, because DAMN! That is some nice eye candy  :drool: Have you seen the skin suits?

Speed%20Skating.jpgkc-boutiette04-350x429.jpg

No "secret society". That's old school to keep your business to yourself.

Very vocal and public today, though I am sure that it is only a minority of the population, but for a minority, they sure get a ton of news coverage around here.

People with kids are probably exhausted like everyone else. I know that hundreds of kids are taken to Pride events by their parents though, by the photos. There's something we don't do.

If by we you mean straight people, you would be wrong. I am straight, politically pro-gay activist and go to pride parades and wouldn't hesitate to take my children to them either. I even got the pleasure of having a confrontation with Westboro baptist at one. :)

I think the issue for me would not be her orientation, but the fact that this woman and her wife consider themselves Christians, also. I have many friends who do things or espouse things I disagree with- I have prochoice friends, gay friends, etc. None of them claim to be Christians, and so I wouldn't expect them to share my beliefs, nor would I hold them to Biblical standards on anything. However, I think the BIble is clear that if someone calls themself a Christian, we are to hold them to Christian standards and contend for the faith. I think it could be confusing to your kids if they are saying they are believers, and you are, too, and yet their beliefs on this are not Biblical. 

Just my .02. 

I think the issue for me would not be her orientation, but the fact that this woman and her wife consider themselves Christians, also. I have many friends who do things or espouse things I disagree with- I have prochoice friends, gay friends, etc. None of them claim to be Christians, and so I wouldn't expect them to share my beliefs, nor would I hold them to Biblical standards on anything. However, I think the BIble is clear that if someone calls themself a Christian, we are to hold them to Christian standards and contend for the faith. I think it could be confusing to your kids if they are saying they are believers, and you are, too, and yet their beliefs on this are not Biblical. 

Just my .02. 

You might want to teach your child that there are all types of Christians first of all.

This is a site of Evangelical Christians (who are gay and lesbian).  http://ecinc.org/

Oh, actually I like this one better. http://www.gaychristian.net/statementoffaith.php

My boyfriend from high school and his partner of 15 years are members of this group.  They believe in the substitutionary death of Jesus and that everyone needs him for salvation.  They met at church.

I bet you and he would agree on most salvation-issues, but you might be surprised at their understanding of the anti-gay passages from the Bible. 

If you have any interest to understand how your religious co-believers reconcile their faith with their sexuality, you might want to check it out.

Just my .02. 

Have you been on the "Real Christians" thread?  Just a wee bit judgmental here?

You might want to teach your child that there are all types of Christians first of all.

This is a site of Evangelical Christians (who are gay and lesbian).  http://ecinc.org/

My boyfriend from high school and his partner of 15 years are members of this group.  They believe in the substitutionary death of Jesus and that everyone needs him for salvation.  They met at church.

I bet you and he would agree on most salvation-issues, but you might be surprised at their understanding of the anti-gay passages from the Bible. 

If you have any interest to understand how your religious co-believers reconcile their faith with their sexuality, you might want to check it out.

I am well aware of other interpretations of the BIble, and that there are many people who claim faith in Christ who also agree with homosexuality. They have every right to do so. 

This is so interesting. I don't know any gay people. Really. I just asked dh and he remembers his xw's cousin from 20 years ago was gay. I did work with a lesbian about 25 years ago.. ..but I can't think of a single person that I am even casual acquaintances with who is gay.

But as to the OPs question....I seriously doubt I would be friends with a gay woman. I wouldn't be throwing rocks at her...I could be kind to her and all of that. But I don't see how we could overcome such a huge difference in beliefs.

I guess I should have been clearer. The govt does already provide " a legal mechanism for couples to formally commit to each other " and it is by marriage. Your views of morality and sin have nothing to do with it.

I already said that I do not believe the government should be in the marriage business. Marriage is a sacrament and therefore none of the government's concern. The state can get involved in the legal contract aspect (e.g. a civil union) but marriage is something that should be left to houses of worship to perform in accordance with their doctrine.

Just my .02.

But this brings back to whose (which denomination) standards are the correct Christian standards.

The boards have taught me that there is no consensus.

So I accept that anyone who identifies as Christian, is.

I have friends who are gay, and Christian.

I have friends who are pro choice, and Christian.

I have friends who are divorced, and Christian.

How so I know the are Christian?

Because they say they are.

I would also say that there is no gay adult who does not know that most people outside of the gay community think they are wrong or bad or have an unfortunate birth defect.  Unless you've specifically stated otherwise, your gay friend probably assumes this.  If you make a point to talk about it, personally I doubt that would go over well.  If they bring it up, you feel it out and only go as far as necessary to be honest and respectful.

I do actually mind, as a parent of a child who was born with a congenital heart defect, seeing it compared to being gay.

People don't die of being gay.

That is offensive to both gay people and those who are impacted by birth defects.

Guest inoubliable

This is so interesting. I don't know any gay people. Really. I just asked dh and he remembers his xw's cousin from 20 years ago was gay. I did work with a lesbian about 25 years ago.. ..but I can't think of a single person that I am even casual acquaintances with who is gay.

But as to the OPs question....I seriously doubt I would be friends with a gay woman. I wouldn't be throwing rocks at her...I could be kind to her and all of that. But I don't see how we could overcome such a huge difference in beliefs.

Um. Don't you live in San Francisco? I might be confusing you with someone else, I suppose. 

Um. Don't you live in San Francisco? I might be confusing you with someone else, I suppose.

Lol...no I live in Oklahoma. By way of Arkansas.

Dh lived in LA area most of his life.

Edited to add....that is Los Angeles...not Louisiana and not Lower Arkansas. ;)

A few weeks ago, I told my lesbian friend that I love her.  So there.  I'm as straight as they come.  Why?  Because that is what Jesus told us to do.  Love people.  It is really not all that difficult.  (Well, loving mean people of any sexual orientation can be difficult, but loving nice gay people is not.  It's easy.)

Just my .02.

Wow. Judgmental much?

I can understand that you have your own particular Christian beliefs, but please don't assume that you speak for all of the other Christians out there whose "Christian standards" are different from your own.

Guest inoubliable

Lol...no I live in Oklahoma. By way of Arkansas.

Dh lived in LA area most of his life.

Ohhhh. My bad. LOL. Oklahoma. I could totally see where you might not know a gay person in OK. Or maybe that you do, but they're not out. KWIM? 

Guest inoubliable

A few weeks ago, I told my lesbian friend that I love her.  So there.  I'm as straight as they come.  Why?  Because that is what Jesus told us to do.  Love people.  It is really not all that difficult.  (Well, loving mean people of any sexual orientation can be difficult, but loving nice gay people is not.  It's easy.)

I think you might honestly be one of the most Christ-like Christians I've met in a long time. 

Pssst. I think that's Crimson Wife.

Crimson, Scarlett, understandable confusion.

Yep! That must be it. And, um, I'm on a new med for a few days. I'm bound to be a bit loopy.

Ohhhh. My bad. LOL. Oklahoma. I could totally see where you might not know a gay person in OK. Or maybe that you do, but they're not out. KWIM?

I grew up in OK and I know many who live in OK now or I went to high school with them. I am violently allergic to horses so it wasn't because of horses. (what is with the horses?)

I know I've said it before here, but I was raised in a homosexual family. The hurt these comments cause *children* is unparalleled to almost any other hurts I've had in my life. I was clinically depressed for years, hid my family from friends, and even considered/attempted suicide and dabbled a little in cutting. This issue is *very* personal and there is not way you can word it to make it less so. You are talking about *my* family, not the other way around. I find the pretense of it not being personal extremely offensive.

SemiSweet, thank you for sharing such personal info here. I am so sorry for the pain you have experienced. Your comment is very eye opening. Hugs to you.