Menu

Lego Land vs San Diego Zoo

SquirrellyMama

Trying to decide which one to go to when we're in CA.  My kids are 9, 11 and 13.  My 6 yr old niece will be there also.  Which one would be more worth the money for those ages?

If we go to Lego Land we are not going through the water park.

ETA: Are there discounts for the zoo?

Kelly

If your DC love Legos and will happily spend all day in the master builder classes and looking in mini-land, do Legoland. If they like rides and are more interested in the amusement park side, skip it. LL is about the most little kid friendly amusement park out there, but the trade-off is that you don't have the major coasters, etc, so pre-teens and teens really would have to be into the Lego aspect to get much out of it.

SDZ is nice, but HUGE-lots and lots of walking. If going to the zoo is a major event, it's a wonderful one. If you live in a place with a nice zoo anyway and visit several times a year, ultimately, it's just a really, really big zoo.

If your DC love Legos and will happily spend all day in the master builder classes and looking in mini-land, do Legoland. If they like rides and are more interested in the amusement park side, skip it. LL is about the most little kid friendly amusement park out there, but the trade-off is that you don't have the major coasters, etc, so pre-teens and teens really would have to be into the Lego aspect to get much out of it.

SDZ is nice, but HUGE-lots and lots of walking. If going to the zoo is a major event, it's a wonderful one. If you live in a place with a nice zoo anyway and visit several times a year, ultimately, it's just a really, really big zoo.

We don't have a big zoo in IA, but we are only about 2 hours from the Omaha Zoo. Omaha has an awesome zoo, and we get in for $30 with our season pass to the Des Moines Zoo.

Kelly

My boys would have much preferred Legoland at those ages.  We did both when they were younger (we lived in LA and went down to Legoland and SD many times while homeschooling.)  LL has homeschool days and the Zoo used to have free days.  They don't anymore.

When will you be there?

We grew up going to the Omaha zoo and still visit when back in the area.

We were horribly disappointed in the San Diego zoo when we visited last year.

Omaha is really a first class zoo and has kept up the property and modernized the animal enclosures.

We found much of the San Diego zoo to be dated, with cramped cages for their animals. The reptile area, in particular, was like walking straight into the '50s.

I did enjoy the horticulture at the San Diego zoo and the double decker bus was a fun way to see a bit more of the zoo. (But Omaha has an overhead way to see the zoo and is nicely landscaped, just not with Southern California tropical plants.)

Omaha has earned their reputation of being a world class zoo by continually updating the animal habitats.

(I have not been to Des Moines zoo, but have been to Kansas City, another nice zoo in the Midwest.)

We don't regret spending a day of vacation at the sd zoo, just wish our expectations weren't so high.

Legoland was amazing. Child was 11.5 years old and we opened and closed the place.

Ooo, that's hard.  The Zoo is amazing, just amazing.  And Legoland is fabulous.  I will say that my DD really loved Legoland when she was a bit smaller than your DC.  The rides are geared for a shorter population than many amusement parks (which we really appreciated at the time.)  Really, I think that you should go with the interests of the kiddos:  If they are primarily nature lovers, go for the Zoo.  If they are Lego lovers, go for Legoland.  In either case, you can't go wrong.  San Diego/Carlsbad is a great area to visit.  Brace yourself for guerilla traffic, though.

Have a safe and fabulous vacation! :thumbup1:

Edited to add:  You may want to look into the City Pass.  I seem to remember that the discount is great if you are planning to visit multiple places.  HTH

We don't have a big zoo in IA, but we are only about 2 hours from the Omaha Zoo. Omaha has an awesome zoo, and we get in for $30 with our season pass to the Des Moines Zoo.

Kelly

Then I would definitely not go to the SD zoo. It would be a huge disappointment if you've been to Henry Doorly.

We grew up going to the Omaha zoo and still visit when back in the area.

We were horribly disappointed in the San Diego zoo when we visited last year.

Omaha is really a first class zoo and has kept up the property and modernized the animal enclosures.

We found much of the San Diego zoo to be dated, with cramped cages for their animals. The reptile area, in particular, was like walking straight into the '50s.

I did enjoy the horticulture at the San Diego zoo and the double decker bus was a fun way to see a bit more of the zoo. (But Omaha has an overhead way to see the zoo and is nicely landscaped, just not with Southern California tropical plants.)

Omaha has earned their reputation of being a world class zoo by continually updating the animal habitats.

(I have not been to Des Moines zoo, but have been to Kansas City, another nice zoo in the Midwest.)

We don't regret spending a day of vacation at the sd zoo, just wish our expectations weren't so high.

Legoland was amazing. Child was 11.5 years old and we opened and closed the place.

I should have read the whole thread. I agree with this, especially the part about the SD zoo being dated.

We did Legoland with DS8 and DS5. We went in March and opened the place. It was a blast, and perfect for their ages. We made it through the park by about 4 pm. There is one coaster that DS5 didn't go on because we thought it would be too much, but otherwise both boys did all the rides. I'm wondering if Legoland might be considered a bit young for your older two? One thing to think about if you go here, there are usually coupons in the Lego magazines for buy one adult ticket and get a kid in free. If you can find a few coupons, it drastically reduces your cost. 

We also did San Diego Zoo, and that was fun, but very spread out. It made for a ton of walking, with not as many animals. We have a great local zoo, so we're a bit spoiled by it. 

We *really* liked the San Diego Wild Animal Park. For some reason, it just felt a lot more natural than the Zoo. The enclosures are larger and more natural. It's still a lot of walking, but we really enjoyed it. 

Based on the ages of your kids, I would go to the San Diego Zoo. Once kids are over about 8-9 year old, Legoland is quite childish, in my opinion. I'm a San Diego native and the zoo there is world class. It is stunningly beautiful and located in Balboa Park, which is filled with museums, music and street performers, and gardens. I think it would be a shame to miss out on the zoo and if you have time, Balboa Park. I used to live close enough to ride my bike with my oldest daughter down to the park or zoo for the afternoon and have many special memories. We've been to Legoland a couple of times and I personally don't think it's worth the expense. But that's just me. Whatever you choose, enjoy the time with your family!

I have not been to the CA LEGOLAND but have been to the one in FL.  I have heard they are similar but cannot verify that.

That being said, both my boys are Lego fanatics.  However, my oldest was bored to death (he was 11 at the time).  My younger son was 8 and he enjoyed it.

I do have some friends who have been to LEGOLAND in CA and both have said they think the max age for enjoyment is 9-10 years old.  Based on our experience in FL, I agree.

Re: age for Legoland

We personally thought the displays were more geared toward older Lego fans - the recreations of the different cities around the world, the walk of famous people, the Star Wars movies made out of Legos, the mind storm class, watching two guys building in the workshop, etc. We spent the entire day there, just admiring the Legos. I can't imagine younger kids appreciating that part of Legoland. I would go back, even as an empty nester, just to look at the creations. .

Re: zoo

We have been to 20-some zoos around the nation and follow their ratings.

I don't understand how San Diego is on the list or how it maintains such a high status. I really do hate to say that. But the Omaha, Memphis and Kansas City zoos are far better.

San Diego is big. The landscaping is impressive. But it was so dated and the enclosures so small.

The koala and panda exhibits at the SD zoo looked to be the few areas updated or opened in past decade or more.

Omaha seems to open new exhibits and remodel on a yearly basis.

Re: age for Legoland

We personally thought the displays were more geared toward older Lego fans - the recreations of the different cities around the world, the walk of famous people, the Star Wars movies made out of Legos, the mind storm class, watching two guys building in the workshop, etc. We spent the entire day there, just admiring the Legos. I can't imagine younger kids appreciating that part of Legoland. I would go back, even as an empty nester, just to look at the creations. .

Re: zoo

We have been to 20-some zoos around the nation and follow their ratings.

I don't understand how San Diego is on the list or how it maintains such a high status. I really do hate to say that. But the Omaha, Memphis and Kansas City zoos are far better.

San Diego is big. The landscaping is impressive. But it was so dated and the enclosures so small.

The koala and panda exhibits at the SD zoo looked to be the few areas updated or opened in past decade or more.

Omaha seems to open new exhibits and remodel on a yearly basis.

I agree about the SD zoo.  It is nice, but not spectacular and certainly not for the huge price tag to get in. 

My boys are 9, 11, 13. We just visited Legoland last month, but not the zoo. I'd say go to Legoland if the kids are huge Lego fans and have always dreamed of going to Legoland; otherwise, you might get more bang for your buck going to the zoo or other attraction.

My boys did have a great time. They really enjoyed all of the Lego activities, like the Mindstorms workshops, seeing all of the amazing Lego creations and the Lego movie sets, the Lego store, trading Lego figures with the staff, and lots of the other activities.

The 13 y.o. is a great sport and enjoys pretty much everything, but many of the activities were a little young for him. There wasn't much in the way of rides that the older two enjoyed, though they were good sports and did some fun rides and activities as a family and found a few rides that they really liked. We were there for two days, but we'd have been done in a day if we hadn't had passes to the water park. The water park was lots of fun, especially toward the end of the day when it was less crowded. We spent quite a bit of time there. We had a pass that also included the little aquarium at Legoland, but ended up running out of time because the boys wanted to stay at the water park.

HTH :)

Cat

Two completely different places.  I think it really depends on your kids and what they like more: animals or legos?  We like Legos, so hubby and I thought nothing of just the two of us going to Legoland in Denmark, no kids and had a great time. Yes, the rides were young, but it was fun.  My boys want to forego Disneyland next year for Legoland, but still have the zoo on their list as they love that too.  The San Diego Zoo is amazing and worth an all day trip.  Good luck in your decision.