Menu

Hobbies at home to replace video games and screen time

What are your best hobby and activity suggestions for a 12 year old boy to replace screen time?

I'm talking about in the house activities that are not chores, reading, cooking, or schoolwork.

Caveats...we live in the suburbs, not in a farm, there is only one other sibling and they don't always want to be together. Most of the kids in the neighborhood are indoors hooked on their screens or are in organized sports away from home. We already do some sports and I'm looking at volunteer opportunities.

However, what I'm really looking for are in the house independent activities that can take the place of screen time and are pretty engaging and maybe even useful for future skills?

Thanks so much for all your ideas!

My 10.5yo likes woodcarving, train tracks, random physics experiments, and drawing.

Look at BSA's merit badge books at scoutstuff.org. for more ideas. You can purchase the books without a membership, and many libraries have them too.

Citizen science projects maybe? There are a bunch. Like COCORAHS weather recording, Lost Ladybug Project, Project Feeder watch or the free one eBird? Just a thought. It would be meaningful as it helps collect data for scientists, he might like that.  

My 12 year old is currently working on an elaborate stop motion animation project using Star Wars legos.   Not exactly the hobby I would have liked for him to have picked (because it does involve screen time), but he's very motivated and has been steadily working it all summer.   

My 12 year old is currently working on an elaborate stop motion animation project using Star Wars legos.   Not exactly the hobby I would have liked for him to have picked (because it does involve screen time), but he's very motivated and has been steadily working it all summer.   

I was going to say Stop Motion Animation too.  

My 10.5yo likes woodcarving, train tracks, random physics experiments, and drawing.

Look at BSA's merit badge books at scoutstuff.org. for more ideas. You can purchase the books without a membership, and many libraries have them too.

I found a TRUCKLOAD of boy scout badge books at a library sale. I think they were 25c each. I only got a few bc most weren't interesting to me, but they are out there. I see boy/cub scout stuff a lot.

I know someone who got into SCA and made his own chain mail.

My boys loved doing model rockets with dh.

They also helped him scrub coins (ancient ones--you soak them  in olive oil for a couple of weeks, then use a wire brush). Not the most scintillating hobby, but a hobby, nonetheless.

Origami

Magic/card tricks

Legos

Thames & Kosmos robot kits

Single player logic games like Traffic Jam

Kits to build various famous world structures

Audio books

Rainbow Loom (lots of boys are into this here)

Knitting

String games

Jigsaw puzzles

Making weapons out of foam and duct tape

Gardening

Guest Benny

Robotics. Lego club. 4h had robotics curriculums you can buy without joining. You wouldn't have to join lego club either but it takes lego robotics to another level.

LEGO

LEGO

LEGO

More LEGO

Okay, any sort of building activity.

Origami

Drawing, creating comic books

Woodworking

Logic puzzles, chess, board games

Costume design/building

These are all things that my 12yo girl and 9yo boy do in their free time.  They also spend a lot of time practicing their martial arts skills individually or with each other.