Menu

Kindle Unlimited

zimom

I wonder if they're trying to compete with services like Oyster

I'd be disappointed but not devastated if they discontinued the KOLL. I probably borrow 4-5 books a year from there. I wouldn't pay for that on top of my Prime subscription. There are a lot of people who don't own Kindles but would like access to the KOLL books. Maybe that's who Amazon is targeting. 

Still, if they don't get the big publishers on board, I don't think it will do well. And considering the animosity between Amazon and many big publishers, I don't see them jumping on board anytime soon. 

Most of my ebooks come from the library, just like most of my physical books did before I got my Kindle. I wouldn't pay for such a service, but I'm probably in the minority. Not a day goes by that I don't read (really) but don't feel the need to own a lot of books. 

Well, it's free for 30 days, so I signed up.  Have big note on my laptop so I don't forget to cancel it in time.

I cancelled just after I subscribed and my subscription is good until August 17th and will not charge me. At least that is what it says.

update: well, I just tried to get a free book and it said there was an error, so maybe it won't really turn on at all since I cancelled immediately. Hmm..

They do have a few gems in the heaps of dross. They've got Flash Boys, Capital in the 21st Century, and some good books by Michael Chabon, Jumpa Lahiri, and Margaret Atwood. I'll have to see if they get more good books over the course of the free month.

I think I'll wait at least a few weeks to sign up for my free trial, in the hopes that they add more stuff as they go along and I can judge it more fairly. 

Check your local public library's website for Overdrive! This is a FREE lending library of kindle and other device compatible books and audiobooks. Our small library has over 14,000 titles available, and larger libraries have more. It works on phones, kindles, etc. 

I have used (mostly lurked on) these boards since the first days of the original ones and am not advertising anything. This service is free through your library.

None of the big 5 publishers (Hachette, Macmillan, Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, Penguin Random House) are included...yet.

Hachette in particular does not intend to "be included", and given the way Amazon has been treating them lately that's no surprise.

So do these books stay for as long as you need them, and you maintain your subscription?  Does it equate to audible in a sense? Those Draw Write Now books intrigue me. I'd not seen them before, and might be what is needed to help with penmanship here

I must be dense. I can't comprehend exactly how it works. 

I see you can get as many books (that are in the program) as you want for $10 a month.  Do you have to stay on forever to keep use of the books/audiobooks?  If you decide to cancel, do they go *pouf* away or are they yours to keep even after you cancel? 

That's what I really want to know. 

I must be dense. I can't comprehend exactly how it works.

I see you can get as many books (that are in the program) as you want for $10 a month. Do you have to stay on forever to keep use of the books/audiobooks? If you decide to cancel, do they go *pouf* away or are they yours to keep even after you cancel?

That's what I really want to know.

They will go away. You are not buying them, but renting access to the catalog.

Think of it as Netflix for books.

It's like a paid library. You can have 10 books out at a time. They go away when you return them. My library has overdrive and I use it a lot. But, it's also got thousands of romance, thriller and sci fi novels and a few books I want to read. My library doesn't have the books I downloaded from Amazon for free, so it's worth it to me. I'm not sure it will be worth it all the time. I can see subscribing for a month, reading all the books I want and then cancelling again for a few months until they get enough new books that I want to read. I'm glad it exists, especially with that library bed bug thread a few weeks ago!

• 2 weeks later...