Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW29

Robin M

Just popping in to say that I'm briefly abandoning everything else I'm reading because I accidentally read the first few pages of When Gods Die by CS Harris and I'm hooked.  I'm really enjoying the Sebastian St. Cyr series!  

I am so glad you are enjoying those and you aren't even at the mermaid (I think it is called When Mermaids Sing) yet.  Love that one and the one after that.

This series looks like my kind of fluff.  I'm only deterred by one issue.  HOW do you pronounce Cyr?  "Seer"?  "Sire"?  HOW does your brain not rearrange the letters to form the word "crier"??  I don't want no cry baby aristocrat solving my regency era mysteries!! 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reporting in:

I read the chapters of SWB's HoAW.

I finished The Odyssey, I haven't listened to all the lectures yet and I want to finish those before I start reading Theogony. Luckily Theogony is short :) and I haven't been able to buy Homeric Hymns, so if I time everything well, I will be completely caught up (minus Hymns) at the end of this week.

The last few weeks:

I read only one book from the Dutch High School list: Sonny Boy, by Annejet van der Zijl. Nice book.

Our summer break will start next week, I plan on reading several Dutch books then.

I read a lot of Lois McMaster Bujold:

-Vor Game

-Cetaganda & Ethan of Athos & Labyrinth

-Borders of Infinity & Brothers in Arms & Mirror Dance

I liked the books, but I wasn't as blown away as I had expected after reading reviews. I realised that I read so many of them, simply because they are on my e-reader thus easy to read in bed.

My father and mother recommended Stoner by John Williams to me. Well, that is not really true. Apparently Stoner has been a HUGE hit here in the Netherlands, this winter, and both my father and mother tried to read it but didn't even finish it. So they wanted me to read it, to see if I could see why it was so popular. Well, I liked the book, but 'earth shattering'...nah.

Two books on metacognition: Focus and Why Don't Students Like School.

Focus: a lot of talking with only some minor interesting things. Really glad I could get this one from the library!

Why Don't Students Like School: I had read the first third of this book last summer and had misplaced the book afterwards. This time I read it and made notes. Weirdly, it wasn't as interesting as I thought last summer.

-----

65. Why Don’t Students Like School? – Daniel T. Willingham (metacognition)

64. The Odyssey – Homer (transl. Fagles)

63. Aandacht, het fundament van emotionele intelligentie (Focus, the hidden driver of excellence) – Daniel Goleman (BaW recommendation, metacognition) (N)

62. "Borders of Infinity", "Brothers in Arms", and "Mirror Dance" – Lois McMaster Bujold (Chunky)

61. Worden wie je bent. Een reis door de ontwikkelingsfilosofie van Reuven Feuerstein – Marijn de Wit (N)

60. Stoner – John Williams (N)

59. Cetaganda & Ethan of Athos & Labyrinth – Lois McMaster Bujold (Chunky)

58. Vor Game – Lois McMaster Bujold

57. Sonny Boy – Annejet van der Zijl (Dutch N3) (N)

Been adding to my Goodreads list as I read through the thread. :)

Last week I finished The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd on audio. What a beautiful story. The audio version was great. The alternating narrators for Handful and Sarah were perfect. Listening to The Secret Life of Bees now. Same reader as the one who read for Sarah in the other book. I've been doing a lot of driving and waiting this summer so audio books have been great!

I'm still reading:

The Core by Leigh Bortins

Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley and Harry Lodge

and I picked up:

There are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz

Hoping to have a successful reading week. Dd is away for two weeks so I have more free time. :)

I finished # 41 - The Secret Life of Violet Grant, by Beatriz Williams in one day.  Great summer read.  The story flipped between 1912 and 1964. Usually I hate it when books do that but I didn't mind it this time.  I liked both parts of the story equally, which usually doesn't happen either.

I have never read anything by that author before and also picked up her book from last year, A Hundred Summers.  I still have The Perfume Collector and A Post Birthday World out from the library just collecting dust.

Hello!  We are finally back home from all the travelling, and boy am I sooo glad.  I can sleep in my own bed again!!  Yay!

I picked up my mail today, and guess what I found.  Postcards from fellow BAWers!  It was so exciting!  LOL  I hope to get out some return postcards, and send out some to others on the list, very soon.

I am actually contemplating picking up a book and reading it.  Shocker, I know.  I found this book at the Dollar Tree, and the cover and title intrigued me.  Will it be enough to pull me from the Kdramas???  Only time will tell!

(Oh, dear.  I just saw Stacia's review on the book.  I may end up running back to the subtitles quick.  LOL)

This series looks like my kind of fluff.  I'm only deterred by one issue.  HOW do you pronounce Cyr?  "Seer"?  "Sire"?  HOW does your brain not rearrange the letters to form the word "crier"??  I don't want no cry baby aristocrat solving my regency era mysteries!! 

In my mind I pronounce his name as Sebastian Saint "Sir".  Our course I've been known to dramatically mispronounce words before.  

That's how I got hooked reading The Host. I accidentally read the first chapter. My ds raised his eyebrow at me when he saw the book because it's so far from my normal reading choices. I told him, "I accidentally read the beginning and now I can't stop." He laughed, shaking his head and asked, "How does one 'accidentally' start reading a book?"

Too funny!  That is exactly how I ended up reading it.  I was waiting for the family in the bookstore and saw it on the end shelf.  I picked it up to read the first chapter and was hooked.  Though I waited to get the library copy :)

In my mind I pronounce his name as Sebastian Saint "Sir".  Our course I've been known to dramatically mispronounce words before.

Me, too!  My cousin and I are always arguing over pronunciation.  Our latest...Flavia de Luce  :lol:  When it comes to names, I reserve the right to pronounce it how I want!

I hope it's good, 'cause I just reserved it. I couldn't resist that title.

I'm still reading Paris in the Twentieth Century. The main character is  one of the few people left in in an Industrial/Financial France of the artistic temperament. We are learning how he lives day to day and manages to find others like himself. Mr. Verne waxes poetic about the great musicians, authors, and artists of the past who are now relegated to the dustbins of history. There are some definite touches of humor as well. It is interesting to compare his vision of the future with what has actually transpired.

OK I finished Books can be Deceiving.  It was a fun bit of cozy fluff,  what more can I say?  It was good enough to put myself in the queue for the next one.  They library they work in sounds like one I would enjoy going to.

I know I should pick up Jonathan Strange, I'm sure I would like it, but I just can't make myself do it for some reason. Partly, it just looks so big & I think I'm not in the mood to tackle a big book now. :tongue_smilie:

I need to accidentally read the beginning of some book that will catch my interest!

I am finding Jonathan Strange to be long.  It is good but I keep taking breaks from it.  Today is a break.  The positive thing about it is I seem to be able to remember the characters without any problem.  I seem to be dropping back in without any confusion,  sort of like visiting an old friend.  That makes it nice.

We are on an overnight trip so am reading (sharing) books with dd and a fun/quick one on kindle.

I have been pronouncing it Sir also.  Pretty sure that is how my friend who started me on these pronouced it too.  

Jenn,  I do think you would like these.  Remember to start at the beginning.  Huge continuing back story.

We're in the midst of an electrical storm here, so if I drop off abruptly, that means I've lost my power... 

Last week I finished The Wandering Falcon, which I think Jane had recommended, a remarkable first book by Jamil Ahmad, who is eighty years old (!), set in hardscrabble wilderness on the Afghan / Pakistan border... spare and mystifying, revealing and frustrating -- everyone working in that region would be well advised to read this.

I was among the crowd that converged on David Benioff's City of Thieves, set in the siege of Leningrad (or "Piter," as the characters called it), which was Stacia's suggestion.  I enjoyed it, and am now eager to track down a copy of Harrison Salisbury's The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad, which Benioff credits as his inspiration for the book...

... and I re-read Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet.

Inspired by our discussion of last week, I dusted off and got about halfway through Rabbi Jonathan Sacks' To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility, which Eliana has recommended nearly as often as I have Cloud Atlas  :o and which has been on my stack for several months.  I'm having to take it verrrry slowly.  

Also still in the midst of Abdul Baha In Their Midst, recommended by Negin.

And I've having audiobook complications... I started Heidi Durrow's The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, which was very good but so raw that it hurt so much I wasn't sure I could finish it... and then I (accidentally-on-purpose??) left the disks in my husband's car as he went off on a business trip, so I had to start something else... in the meantime I got a letter from my daughter, still at camp, asking me to please bring something else to listen to, other than Christopher Paolini's Eldest, when I come back to retrieve her, since she (age 11) doesn't deem it worth our continuing... :laugh: ... and then I started A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez, which has an interesting setting (a coffee shop in Kabul, which evidently the author actually herself ran for five years).  Sadly, though, she evidently never got the memo re: show, don't tell... so it too is getting a bit wearisome.  

And I have some very long car rides ahead of me, so I do hope to get things sorted out in the very near future...

Hello! We are finally back home from all the travelling, and boy am I sooo glad. I can sleep in my own bed again!! Yay!

I picked up my mail today, and guess what I found. Postcards from fellow BAWers! It was so exciting! LOL I hope to get out some return postcards, and send out some to others on the list, very soon.

I am actually contemplating picking up a book and reading it. Shocker, I know. I found this book at the Dollar Tree, and the cover and title intrigued me. Will it be enough to pull me from the Kdramas??? Only time will tell!

(Oh, dear. I just saw Stacia's review on the book. I may end up running back to the subtitles quick. LOL)

Hey! Good to see you.

Btw, that "Stacia" review over there is not me. It's a different Stacia. Over there, I have the same avatar as here.

Pam, totally agreeing that people working in the border areas between Pakistan & Afghanistan need to read The Wandering Falcon. Fascinating look at the areas & peoples, but I am so glad not to have been a female (or male, for that matter) born to that life. Harsh & cruel circumstances are the norm. Though the author is in his 80s now, I think he penned the majority of the work back in the 1970s when he worked in those areas as a Pakistani civil servant. Even though most of the pieces in the book are from a few decades ago, the info is still completely fresh & relevat.

Tress, I'm fascinated to hear that Stoner is so popular in the NL. Isn't this a book that came out many years ago & has been republished in the past couple of years, garnering a whole new, appreciative audience? I've seen it recommended & raved about by some friends on Goodreads, but reading the description makes me think it would be sad?

Tress, I'm fascinated to hear that Stoner is so popular in the NL. Isn't this a book that came out many years ago & has been republished in the past couple of years, garnering a whole new, appreciative audience? I've seen it recommended & raved about by some friends on Goodreads, but reading the description makes me think it would be sad?

Stoner was originally published in 1965, but has been 'rediscovered' in 2012 and apparently reached the Netherlands this winter :D. I didn't find it sad exactly, although I found parts of it midlife-crisis-depressing. His description of how WWI and WWII changed a whole generation of people (mostly men) was interesting.

The book is being hyped here as 'life changing', 'breathtaking', a masterpiece.....but I don't really get that, obviously. Could be me, though :D.

Pam, totally agreeing that people working in the border areas between Pakistan & Afghanistan need to read The Wandering Falcon. Fascinating look at the areas & peoples, but I am so glad not to have been a female (or male, for that matter) born to that life. Harsh & cruel circumstances are the norm. Though the author is in his 80s now, I think he penned the majority of the work back in the 1970s when he worked in those areas as a Pakistani civil servant. Even though most of the pieces in the book are from a few decades ago, the info is still completely fresh & relevat.

Yes... did you read Rory Stewart's The Places in Between?  Falcon evoked it for me, not so much for the similarities (though of course there are some; it is the same region) as for the differences.  At the time it came out, I didn't particularly read Stewart as romanticizing -- he found plenty of harshness, blood feud vengeance, unthinking misogyny etc as well -- but after Falcon, it now seems like Lawrence of Arabia misadventures.  

Funny, how fiction can resonate as deeper and more true than non-fiction.

Yesterday I read Me Before You: A Novel by JoJo Moyes for my upcoming book group.  I'm guessing that it will engender an interesting discussion.  I enjoyed it in a tears-rolling-down-my-cheeks way.

"They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose . . .

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary life—steady boyfriend, close family—who has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex–Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge life—big deals, extreme sports, worldwide travel—and now he’s pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossy—but Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living.

A Love Story for this generation, Me Before You brings to life two people who couldn’t have less in common—a heartbreakingly romantic novel that asks, What do you do when making the person you love happy also means breaking your own heart?"

Regards,

Kareni

Yes... did you read Rory Stewart's The Places in Between? Falcon evoked it for me, not so much for the similarities (though of course there are some; it is the same region) as for the differences. At the time it came out, I didn't particularly read Stewart as romanticizing -- he found plenty of harshness, blood feud vengeance, unthinking misogyny etc as well -- but after Falcon, it now seems like Lawrence of Arabia misadventures.

Funny, how fiction can resonate as deeper and more true than non-fiction.

No, I haven't read The Places in Between. Will have to look for it. From the description, I can totally see the similarities you mention.

Love your comment about fiction vs non-fiction. So very true sometimes & I think very much so in the case of this book for me. I know it is fiction, yet when I think about it, I know it is true & completely reflective of reality.

Stoner was originally published in 1965, but has been 'rediscovered' in 2012 and apparently reached the Netherlands this winter :D. I didn't find it sad exactly, although I found parts of it midlife-crisis-depressing. His description of how WWI and WWII changed a whole generation of people (mostly men) was interesting.

The book is being hyped here as 'life changing', 'breathtaking', a masterpiece.....but I don't really get that, obviously. Could be me, though :D.

Thanks. After so many rave reviews, I find yours refreshing, lol! I keep feeling like I "should" read it, but I haven't ever really felt like picking it up.

Hey! Good to see you.

Btw, that "Stacia" review over there is not me. It's a different Stacia. Over there, I have the same avatar as here.

Oh, that's right!  I didn't even pay attention to the avatar, and just saw the name.  Oops!

I've gotten six pages into the book, and I already like it a lot.  After skimming the reviews on Goodreads, I think I'm prepared for a not-so-nice ending, but it's gonna suck big time if it really is a crap ending after what seems like such a great start.  I hate when that happens.

I finished When God's Die (Sebastian St. Cyr mystery) and have already picked up Why Mermaids Sing from the library.  Loved the story.  I thought a few things were silly but nothing that took me out of the story.  I still hate Kat though.  Worst love interest ever!

"I love you so much Sebastian ... blah blah blah ... You don't understand! I have secrets I can't tell you ... blah blah blah ... I love you too much to marry you ... blah blah blah ... Oh by the way here's a random clue only I was able to discover because I am a woman."

*gag*  

If everyone could do me a huge favor and not ask my why I'm avoiding those two books on my nightstand that I have to read for bookclub I would really appreciate it!  They just haven't grabbed my attention they way fluff has.  

I finished When God's Die (Sebastian St. Cyr mystery) and have already picked up Why Mermaids Sing from the library.  Loved the story.  I thought a few things were silly but nothing that took me out of the story.  I still hate Kat though.  Worst love interest ever!

"I love you so much Sebastian ... blah blah blah ... You don't understand! I have secrets I can't tell you ... blah blah blah ... I love you too much to marry you ... blah blah blah ... Oh by the way here's a random clue only I was able to discover because I am a woman."

*gag*  

If everyone could do me a huge favor and not ask my why I'm avoiding those two books on my nightstand that I have to read for bookclub I would really appreciate it!  They just haven't grabbed my attention they way fluff has.  

Totally agree about Kat.  Can't wait to hear what you have to say at the end of Why Mermaids Sing!

Dd and I managed to read several books but none in common so my nightstand stack has grown thanks to our readathon. :lol:  I finally read Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore and loved it.  Possibly a top ten just because I was so totally entertained.  It was nothing like what I imagined it to be.  I had been expecting a heartwarming story about an unusual bookstore and it's customers.  Instead this book was filled with things (computers, codebreaking, and sci fi) that my dc's adore.  It was fun to read something that both my dc's might like.

Reporting in:

I finished The Odyssey, I haven't listened to all the lectures yet and I want to finish those before I start reading Theogony. Luckily Theogony is short :) and I haven't been able to buy Homeric Hymns, so if I time everything well, I will be completely caught up (minus Hymns) at the end of this week.

:hurray:I don't care what anyone else says that's an accomplishment.

I probably shouldn't tell you the Homeric Hymns are online....

I made it through Theogony and am part way thorough the hymns.  The Theogony quiz was frustrating for me, I don't like ambiguous questions.

I'm back to being frustrated with reading, (I hate picking books from amazon since it became obvious authors were buying reviews. :glare:) so I just went through my amazon wish list and ordered anything my library has. 

ETA:  Has anyone read the Otherworld series by Yasmine Galenorn?  Thoughts?

Has anyone read the Otherworld series by Yasmine Galenorn?  Thoughts?

I've attempted reading a few things by Yasmine Galenorn, but they've never grabbed me.  I'll be interested to hear if you have a different experience.

Regards,

Kareni

Totally agree about Kat.  Can't wait to hear what you have to say at the end of Why Mermaids Sing!

If I can get these pesky kids to do a bit of hunting and gathering rather than relying on me for food then I'd have more time to read.  As it is though I probably won't get much time tonight to finish the book.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll report in with my review.  

I've attempted reading a few things by Yasmine Galenorn, but they've never grabbed me. I'll be interested to hear if you have a different experience.

Regards,

Kareni

I tried her other World Series starting with witchling. it was pretty bad.

Well, I'm not able to finish The Rithmatist because it was due today and I couldn't  renew it.  So now I have to put it on hold again and wait. :glare:   So I'm not sure  what I am going to read now.  I have Lauren Graham's Someday, Someday Maybe.  I am bit ashamed to admit that because I am thinking that it is probably lower than fluff  but I am going to attempt it anyway.

I just finished Possession by A. S. Byatt.  The first 60 pages or so I was completely confused by deja vu and then realized I watched the movie a while back.  The book trumps the movie by far.  

Here's a quote I liked:

Women, not trees, were Maud’s true pastoral concern.  Her idea of the primeval creatures included her generation’s sense of their imminent withering and dying, under the drip of acid rain, or in the invisible polluted gusts of the wind.  She was visited by a sudden vision of them dancing, golden-green, in a bright spring a hundred years ago, flexible saplings, tossed and resilient.  This thickened forest, her own humming metal car, her prying curiosity about whatever had been Christabel’s life, seemed suddenly to be the ghostly things, feeding on, living through, the young vitality of the past.  Between the trees the ground was black with the shining, sagging wet rounds of dead leaves; in front of her, the same black leaves spread like stains on the humping surface of the tarmac.  A creature ran out into her path; its eyes were half-spheres filled with dull red fire, refracted, sparkling and then gone.  She swerved, and nearly hit a thick oak stump.  Ambiguous wet drops or flakes-which?- materialised briefly on the windscreen.  Maud was inside, and the outside was a live and separate.

I am debating between Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter and My Antonia for the next book...

I just finished Possession by A. S. Byatt.  The first 60 pages or so I was completely confused by deja vu and then realized I watched the movie a while back.  The book trumps the movie by far.  

Here's a quote I liked:

Women, not trees, were Maud’s true pastoral concern.  Her idea of the primeval creatures included her generation’s sense of their imminent withering and dying, under the drip of acid rain, or in the invisible polluted gusts of the wind.  She was visited by a sudden vision of them dancing, golden-green, in a bright spring a hundred years ago, flexible saplings, tossed and resilient.  This thickened forest, her own humming metal car, her prying curiosity about whatever had been Christabel’s life, seemed suddenly to be the ghostly things, feeding on, living through, the young vitality of the past.  Between the trees the ground was black with the shining, sagging wet rounds of dead leaves; in front of her, the same black leaves spread like stains on the humping surface of the tarmac.  A creature ran out into her path; its eyes were half-spheres filled with dull red fire, refracted, sparkling and then gone.  She swerved, and nearly hit a thick oak stump.  Ambiguous wet drops or flakes-which?- materialised briefly on the windscreen.  Maud was inside, and the outside was a live and separate.

I debating between Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Letter and My Antonia for the next book...

Have you read P&P before?

...I'm not sure  what I am going to read now.  I have Lauren Graham's Someday, Someday Maybe.  I am bit ashamed to admit that because I am thinking that it is probably lower than fluff  but I am going to attempt it anyway.

I like fluff, sub-fluff, and (odds are) lint.  I say, "Read it!"  And then let us know what you think of it.

Regards,

Kareni

I absolutely love perusing the recent releases shelf at my sister's library! I think I must have picked up at least 20 books today! Unfortunately, there will be no way to read many of them during the few days I am here.

Have started two, though:

"Kehua!" By Fay Weldon (the recent edition put out by Europa)

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/aug/28/fay-weldon-kehua-review

"Silence Once Begun" by Jesse Ball

http://observer.com/2014/01/strong-silent-type-jesse-balls-silence-once-begun-constructs-a-small-masterpiece-out-of-very-little/

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2014/04/03/different-ways-of-lying-an-interview-with-jesse-ball/

I like fluff, sub-fluff, and (odds are) lint.  I say, "Read it!"  And then let us know what you think of it.

Regards,

Kareni

:lol:  I love the lint term.  Just not sure how I will ever separate my fluff from my lint. ;)  I do know I read lots of it.

Stacia -- Kehua in hardcover is actually on the shelves at my little library.  The 2010 hardcover I think.  I will see if I can find it later today.  

Have you read P&P before?

I haven't read P&P before and it's next up on my reading list but I'm itching to read something that I've read before.  "My Antonia" is tempting, C.S. Lewis's "Til We All Have Faces" is beckoning too and I found "The Thorn Birds" which I read as a teenager.  I don't know what to choose!   :willy_nilly:    

Ok, someone needs to do a chocolate run. We promised Jane we'd save her some but we're seriously low on supplies. I confess to taking all the ones with hazelnut, but fess up BaWers who else has been up late at night reading and raiding the stash... ;)

And as if the above weren't implicating enough I just found this while tidying up...

I must say we have some chocolate lovers here. Jane, if you're reading this don't allow the thought of a BaW chocolate paucity to spoil your travels. Supplies will be replenished for your return :D

Ok, someone needs to do a chocolate run. We promised Jane we'd save her some but we're seriously low on supplies. I confess to taking all the ones with hazelnut, but fess up BaWers who else has been up late at night reading and raiding the stash... ;)

Don't look at me, I'm allergic to chocolate. Really :glare: .

And that was my 2000th post :hat: .

:hurray:I don't care what anyone else says that's an accomplishment.

I probably shouldn't tell you the Homeric Hymns are online....

I made it through Theogony and am part way thorough the hymns.  The Theogony quiz was frustrating for me, I don't like ambiguous questions.

Now you have done it, Melissa. You ruined my relaxed planning.

:lol:

It's good to know that the Hymns are online, Amazon.de is sending me increasingly nervous emails because they can't deliver. I can imagine that a Coursera course like this makes for really weird sales patterns. Maybe Coursera needs to tell Amazon what they are planning, can you imagine 30.000 people suddenly deciding to buy a certain obscure book :D.

I gave up on the quizzes after missing the deadline for the second quiz due to a migraine. I wasn't too sad, because when I did the first quiz, I realised that I really need to make notes while listening to the lectures...and that is not going to work. I find it difficult already to find the time to listen.

Regarding ambiguous questions, there was this weird question on the first quiz that made me really doubt my English reading comprehension. Something about 'among the answers giving in the previous question, what are we not going to use....blabla'. And then they wanted an answerd that wasn't mentioned in the previous question :huh: . It took me a couple of days to realise they probably meant 'the subject mentioned in the previous question'.

It's good to know that the Hymns are online, Amazon.de is sending me increasingly nervous emails because they can't deliver. I can imagine that a Coursera course like this makes for really weird sales patterns. Maybe Coursera needs to tell Amazon what they are planning, can you imagine 30.000 people suddenly deciding to buy a certain obscure book :D.

I gave up on the quizzes after missing the deadline for the second quiz due to a migraine. 

Sorry about the migraine!  

I gave up trying to get the right volumes for the next few readings.  I will just have to make do with one of the many translations I already have here.

Sorry about the migraine!  

I gave up trying to get the right volumes for the next few readings.  I will just have to make do with one of the many translations I already have here.

Thanks! (I have hormonal migraines and they have been very bad lately, but this week should have been bad..but I have new medication and I'm still standing, so maybe.....it's working.)

I don't think a different edition will be a problem, at least I hope so! I also had several already and I'm not going to spend money on buying the same book, translated by the same translator but in a different edition :toetap05: .

I gave up on the quizzes after missing the deadline for the second quiz due to a migraine. I wasn't too sad, because when I did the first quiz, I realised that I really need to make notes while listening to the lectures...and that is not going to work. I find it difficult already to find the time to listen.

Regarding ambiguous questions, there was this weird question on the first quiz that made me really doubt my English reading comprehension. Something about 'among the answers giving in the previous question, what are we not going to use....blabla'. And then they wanted an answerd that wasn't mentioned in the previous question :huh: . It took me a couple of days to realise they probably meant 'the subject mentioned in the previous question'.

Sorry, just ignore me.   :)  

I'm finding the hymns are actually easy reading, for me, especially when compared to Theogony.  Today I did the Hymn to Demeter and it's lectures, which is the story of the seasons.  

Angelika, who also took my last coursera course is taking this one as well.  She puts together pdf's in dropbox format that include the lectures and important visuals.  You might want to check out the forum for her links here.  Sometimes I cheat and read the lecture instead because I can read faster than I can listen.  :blushing:

Sorry to hear about the headaches, those suck!  I just started getting them in the last year or so and I'm not liking them at all.

I didn't realize until after the fact that someone had linked the Fangles translation of The Odyssey in pdf.  I read a different translation.

Sorry, just ignore me.   :)  

I'm finding the hymns are actually easy reading, for me, especially when compared to Theogony.  Today I did the Hymn to Demeter and it's lectures, which is the story of the seasons.  

One of the ladies who also took my last coursera course is taking this one as well.  She puts together pdf's in dropbox format that include the lectures and important visuals.  You might want to check out the forum for her links here.  Sometimes I cheat and read the lecture instead because I can read faster than I can listen.  :blushing:

Sorry to hear about the headaches, those suck!  I just started getting them in the last year or so and I'm not liking them at all.

I didn't realize until after the fact that someone had linked the Fangles translation of The Odyssey in pdf.  I looked it over the other night.  I does really read differently than the translation I read.

Those pdf's are amazing! Thanks so much for linking to them!

Yeah, I don't like lectures much, I keep thinking 'I can read this so much faster, this is sooooo slowwwww'.

I hope you too will be able to find something for your headaches. Weird, isn't it?, how they can start suddenly or (in my case) get so much worse than before. My doctor only does this :huh: when I ask *why* this happens. I mean, there should be a reason, right? And if I know the reason maybe that will get me to a solution, right? Doctor: :huh: . Sigh.

I've attempted reading a few things by Yasmine Galenorn, but they've never grabbed me.  I'll be interested to hear if you have a different experience.

Regards,

Kareni

I tried her other World Series starting with witchling. it was pretty bad.

:iagree: Witchling is bad, I gave up.  I think I'll jump to the newest one and see if it's any better

It has been SO long since I've finished a book.  I've been stuck in a rut for months.  I've started and stopped several books due to lack of inspiration, or maybe just laziness:  Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World by Dalai Lama, Moby Dick, Insurgent, and who knows how many others.

This week, however, I breezed through The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins.  It was fantastic!  

Next I'm on to Plastic Free by Beth Terry. 

1. The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright

2. Winnie Mandela: Life of Struggle by Jim Haskins

3. Herbal Antibiotics by Stephen Harrod Buhner

4. When Did White Trash Become the New Normal? by Charlotte Hays

5. Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar

6. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

7. Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner's Guide by Rosemary Gladstar

8. The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

9. War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

10. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

11. The Telenovela Method by Andrew Tracey

12. Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman

13. The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean

14. Divergent by Veronica Roth

15. Buddhist Boot Camp by Timber Hawkeye

16. Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh

17. The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins

A book list Pam may like -- An Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Reading List:

http://flavorwire.com/467627/an-israeli-palestinian-conflict-reading-list/view-all

A book list I like -- 50 Excellent Fabulist Books Everyone Should Read:

http://flavorwire.com/467349/50-excellent-fabulist-books-everyone-should-read/view-all

Now we can add Fabulist to our descriptive terms!  Quite a list variety wise.  I have read a couple thanks to BaW with two more in the pile.  

Somehow I don't think I will be able to find any Fabulist Lint to read! :lol: