Menu

Diet Friendly Treat Ideas

fairfarmhand

I'm turning 35 in September and I want to lose at least 10 lbs by then. So I'm being really careful about my diet. However, I do better if I can have on little indulgence at the end of the day. I'm not wanting a huge splurge, like a whole bowl of ice cream. I just need a small treat to look forward to at day's end.

Ideas?

Individually wrapped ice cream sandwiches? I have a variety of non-dairy kinds right now because I am eliminating dairy for nursing my newborn. They all have around 100 calories and are pretty tasty. I like the So Coconut vanilla and Tofutti cuties better than the almond one.

I like to freeze half a banana on a popcycle stick. Tasty! Or make a banana peanut butter smoothie with ice, frozen banana, peanut butter, a little almond milk and plain yogurt. Or how about a yogurt parfait. I make my own yogurt sweetened with honey/maple syrup.

A small bowl of frozen blueberries is nice when my husband is having ice cream. Also, I like to pop popcorn in the microwave in a paper bag, and add sea salt and a little real butter.

Would you be able to convince yourself that a baked sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon is a treat?

I'm turning 35 in September and I want to lose at least 10 lbs by then. So I'm being really careful about my diet. However, I do better if I can have on little indulgence at the end of the day. I'm not wanting a huge splurge, like a whole bowl of ice cream. I just need a small treat to look forward to at day's end.

Ideas?

It depends on what you really enjoy eating in the first place.

Do you like chocolate? Fruit? Caramel? Cheesecake?

I'm not sure what kind of 'diet' you eat but a few things I like:

chopped apples with coconut cream, dash of sea salt, and cinnamon (or use berries without the cinnamon)

fat bombs- we just tried these and they are so tasty, dh says this is making lchf much more enjoyable

on the higher carb front- I just seen dark chocolate covered bananas at Aldi's and they also have fruit popsicles.

Trader Joe's has dark chocolate covered cocoa nibs that are very small and only 1 calorie per piece, but pack a surprising chocolate punch. If you love chocolate they make a nice low calorie way to treat yourself.

I can keep individually wrapped Ghiardelli chocolate squares in my house, because for most flavors, one eaten slowly is a perfect treat.  The dark chocolate/raspberry is my favorite.  I can't keep either the peanut butter or the dark chocolate salted carmel because one = the whole bag, which defeats the purpose.

I make smoothies and freeze little bits of leftovers in this mold: http://www.amazon.com/Zoku-Slow-Pops-Mini-Molds/dp/B00CDL3538#

They make nice, small frozen treats.  I have to fight the kids over them.

I often make hot chocolate (real cocoa and about 1/3 of the sugar called for) at night or hot spiced milk (milk or almond milk with 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanila, and 1 tsp honey).  Sweet, hot beverages help me because they feel indulgent, and I have to drink them slowly.  Plus, calcium and protein!

Also, if you don't mind the texture, I make chia puddings for dessert often.  Google chocolate or chai - both are great desserts (but more filling than the above treats).

A square or two of greater than 70% dark chocolate or frozen bananas whipped in a cuisinart with a bit of milk or peanut butter are my go-to's. not sure if google will bring up Tracy Anderson's chocolate pudding but it's divine. Prunes or dates, choc chips, coconut...yum.

I like little things I can eat a lot of--

roasted chickpeas (add garlic if you want some taste)

frozen red or green grapes

blueberries

strawberries dipped in chocolate (dark)

If you don't mind process carp...chocolate graham cracker squares (2) sandwiched with nonfat Coolwhip are about 50 calories each--freeze them.

Problem is, if I make a whole tray, I end up eating more than one.

Kale chips--I think they are gross, but if you make them (google for how, and for flavor options) be sure to remove the stems 'cause that's what makes them bitter.

Salsa and chips--portion your chips to = 100 cals and you can eat quite a few.

8 medium shrimp and about 4 T of cocktail sauce=100 cals

1/2 a medium cantaloupe is roughly 100 cals. I like having a big serving like that--eat it with a spoon and just scoop that sucker right outta there.

1 med apple baked with a tsp pecans and a tsp brown sugar

Depends on what kind of a diet you are doing.

I do LCHF and my favorite snacks are cheese chips. Cheddar or provolone cheese squares baked in the oven until crispy. Add a little garlic salt on top.. yumm.  Almonds, sugar free Jello with whip cream, Russell Stover sugar free chocolates always hit the spot (make sure you limit them, they will do a number on your stomach if you eat too many. Ask me how I know.)

Apples and bananas are not LCHF. If you crave fruit, stick to berries.

Thanks so much for all the ideas!

I now have a great selection of once a day indulgences.  I spent about 5 hours today in the hay field working like a dog throwing bales. I MUST convince myself that I don't deserve a huge splurge. The upside of working so hard is that I didn't have to fight cravings for the afternoon. I'm eating a small bowl of green beans (first from the garden! YAY!) and a sliced tomato for supper. I'll probably throw in a little cheese for protein too.

I like sugar free chocolates (York Peppermint Patties, Reece's Cups) and any dark chocolate. 

For a little bigger treat, these are delicious. 

I like to slice an apple and eat a few with peanut or nut butter and sprinkle cinnamon straight on a few, too. 

For hot cocoa, I use this recipe and substitute unsweetened almond milk for the regular milk and use stevia to sweeten to taste. 

I'm cutting out most forms of sugar - including fruit. (which has alot of sugar.  two pieces of fruit would put me over my total daily allowance.)

I've done sugar free before, and even though I felt fabulous, it's hard.  so my "treat" (which is NOT every day, or even most days.) is a piece of my favorite fruit.  not only is it yummy, it has other nutrients in it as well as fiber.

My go to treats:

Lindor truffles-one has about 70 calories. I keep these way in the back on a high shelf so I don't power through a whole bag though.

25 calorie hot chocolate

100 calorie popcorn bags? not a treat for me but maybe you

lemon sorbet

really good fruit ~organic, in season, probably picked by me, so it tastes like something

microwaved apple w/cinnamon (sort of baked apple like)

strawberries with whipped cream

I can't use it, because I'm allergic to bananas, but the yolanda machine is supposed to be awesome.  I takes frozen bananas and whatever other frozen fruit you like and makes it into a soft serve ice cream style treat.  Like a smoothie, I guess, but better.

If anyone ever hears of an alternative to bananas as thickener, I would be in your debt.

I had to ask DH for this recipe for fluff. Half a cup in the evenings satisfies our sweet cravings.

1 container "Fat Free" Cool Whip
1 package Jello sugar-free, fat-free pudding.  I use Cheesecake
flavor.  Pistachio and Banana work OK too.  Vanilla doesn't (it clumps
up weirdly when mixed with the fruit.)
1 can crushed pineapple
1 can Mandarin oranges
(optional) other fruit - I like the Red Tart cherries in water, but
blueberries, peaches, pears, fruit cocktail etc also work.  For low
calories, use fruits in water or very light syrup only.  I suppose you
could also do something like sliced strawberries.

Open crushed pineapple can and put into large glass bowl.  Don't drain
the pineapple; do drain other cans of fruit.

Dump the pudding mix into the pineapple and stir until completely mixed.

Fold in about half the Cool Whip.  You don't need to be precise about
the amount, eventually it all goes in; it's just easier to add and mix
it in two chunks.

Drain and add the other fruits, stir until mixed well.

Fold in the rest of the Cool Whip.

Cover and refrigerate for several hours.  It keeps fine in the fridge
for a week or so, then it starts to get a little runny (though still
OK to eat).

A half-cup serving is 1 WW point, about 40 to 50 calories depending on
the specific fruits added.

another thing I did when I had a sweet craving was eat yogurt.  the acidophilus kills the yeast which craves the sugar.  I now prefer greek yogurt because it doesn't add sugar to make it "more flavorful".