Menu

Update on my picky eater - started feeding therapy and it's working

Stratford

I posted a while back about my very picky eater 4 year old.  Briefly, he was a super eater until age 2, when he started eliminating foods from his diet.  He ended up with about 5 foods that he would eat (chicken nuggets, plain pasta, bread & butter, chocolate milk, and some potatoes.)  Our pediatrician blew me off and wasn't concerned.  His growth chart had dropped off significantly and, at one point, he was losing hair.  I was quite seriously concerned.  

At his 4 year old check up, I asked for a referral to our local hospital's pediatric feeding clinic, which they gave me.  

He had his initial evaluation and has been to three therapy sessions.  The evaluation was wonderful.  Like super awesome wonderful.  It was the first time I've been able to detail all of our eating craziness and have someone understand and offer constructive, useful advice.  ("Oh, so he only eats off of blue plates?  That's okay!")  The take-away message from our evaluation was that picky eating isn't normal, shouldn't be considered normal, and it's something that can be treated.  Also, my pediatrician was wrong.  I felt hopeful!

He's been to three therapy sessions so far; they are scheduled weekly.  They've determined it's a sensory issue for him (not an oral-motor issue or anything else) and are working to desensitize him to different foods.  (They use the SOS method, if you're curious.)  The occupational therapist is awesome and he loves his "food class".  It's amazing to see the progress he has made.  He has actually eaten green beans, cheese, pretzels, butterscotch pudding....whole bunch of things.  The first time he came out to the waiting room to show me how he could eat a bean, I got teary.  This week he started "homework" where he has three foods to eat a bite of each day.  (This week it's the butterscotch pudding, cheese, and a dorito.  Kind of weird, yes.)  He's tried at least one of the items each day; yesterday he tried two.  He's less fearful of trying new foods.  We went out for italian ice the other day, and he tried and finished it.  (And yes, I know it's a sweet, and should be easy, but this is the kid that wouldn't eat any sweet other than plain chocolate for nearly two years.)  That was a big deal!

So that's my update.  My mommy-sense feels vindicated and I'm tickled pink that he is trying new foods.  Mostly I'm thankful for the feeding clinic and wish that I had known about it sooner.  

I am so happy for you. I wish we had something like that here. My younger son would have benefited. He has oral motor issues, which caused problems eating, like biting a HOLE in his tongue :scared: , which has left him very difficult to feed. He just doesn't trust food and it manifests as pickiness. He is 9 now and slooooooowly getting more flexible, but I still stress when we don't eat at home. And he won't eat vegetables except carrots and romaine lettuce. Oh wait, he did accept cucumbers recently so there is that. He can almost eat a salad :001_rolleyes:

I hope it continues to get better. Any victory is HUGE and I am proud of your son!

Yeah!!! My daughter is in treatment for an eating disorder and her days sound much like your son's.  It made me teary to hear that he is doing so well.  I rejoice too over silly things like a bite of ice cream.  Who knew that I would ever celebrate that my child ate a bite of ice cream!  

Good for you, and great for him!  And thank you for sharing -- I had never heard of food therapy before, though we have some small experience with sensory issues here (none of them food-oriented).  I have a nephew who is on ADHD meds and has become quite picky in what he will or won't eat.  I'll have to ask my SIL if she has heard about food therapy, and see if she wants to look into that as a possibility.

That is amazing! I have a cousin with serious food issues, and his parents never really pursued therapy. His is now a super bright but super tiny teen.

Congratulations for persisting even when your ped didn't see a problem. So glad you found a good clinic. And did all this when your ds is still relatively young.

I definitely think it's something to celebrate! I wish I had thought to get help for my ds when he was young. Now's he just about 18 and lives off a handful of meals. I'm happy to say that my son will at least try new foods, but he has never decided he's liked one well enough to try it again. I can't even get him to eat fruit unless I put it in front of him and tell him to eat it. I'm talking like two strawberries or half an apple. He just has no interest in expanding his palate. So good for you getting help early. You and he will be happier in later years.

SOS feeding therapy is fantastic! My son went through it a few years back. He went from eating only about 15 different foods to eating almost everything I put in front of him. It really was so life changing for our family. So glad it is helping your son. We did have some minor success right away and then a bit of a stall in the middle and then a big breakthrough. I just mention that in case you find something similar happen and find yourself discouraged.

Hope things continue to move forward smoothly!