Menu

No automatic shutoff on the gas pump?

Farrar

So today, on our 12 hour drive home from my grandmother's, I got a nasty surprise when the first place I stopped to get gas had no automatic shut off on the gas pump.  It was a very up to date looking pump - card reader, etc.  There was absolutely no sign to indicate that it didn't have automatic shut off.  When I complained to the attendant inside, she acted like, duh, everyone knows that's how gas pumps behave.  And she tried to tell me that there was a sign explaining it on the pump, but I went back and reread everything and there absolutely wasn't.

I think in my whole life I've maybe pumped gas two or three times ever when it wasn't an automatic shut off pump and the last time I can remember was many years before my kids were born, so it was probably nearly two decades ago.  And those pumps were all clearly old fashioned, out of date even for their time.  And they had signs!  Signs that clearly said, "No automatic shut off."

Am I crazy?  Is this actually common still some places?

I don't think it was broken.  The attendant clearly said that was what it was supposed to do.

I was cleaning my window when it happened.  The guy in the car in front of mine had to tell me it was spraying out.  I was beyond shocked.  A good two gallons must have been on the ground.

Well, I didn't leave the pump.  I was right there - that's required by law in many places, so I pretty much never leave.  I was just on the back with the wiper and didn't see it at first.  But it was clear that it would have done it to me if I had just been holding it, it just would have been a little less spillage.  And there would have been a lot more on me.  I know because of the first time (again, like twenty years ago, old pump in the middle of nowhere when I was on a camping trip in high school) I pumped gas when there wasn't an automatic shut off.  It spewed all over me everywhere.

Yes really.  I just looked up our state Dept. of Ecology rules.  I'm sure that most stations have a gas spill kit that they use but it still needs to be reported.  

I didn't think of that, but I admit I was a little shocked at how blase the attendant seemed.  I thought at least she'd want to clean it up or send someone or something.  She was clearly, like, yeah, that happens.  I'm sure that's just peachy for the environment.

Well, I didn't leave the pump.  I was right there - that's required by law in many places, so I pretty much never leave.  I was just on the back with the wiper and didn't see it at first.  But it was clear that it would have done it to me if I had just been holding it, it just would have been a little less spillage.  And there would have been a lot more on me.  I know because of the first time (again, like twenty years ago, old pump in the middle of nowhere when I was on a camping trip in high school) I pumped gas when there wasn't an automatic shut off.  It spewed all over me everywhere.

I meant that I am always there holding it while pumping gas. I've never tried to use the automatic shut off so I have no idea if they are around here or not.

I didn't think of that, but I admit I was a little shocked at how blase the attendant seemed.  I thought at least she'd want to clean it up or send someone or something.  She was clearly, like, yeah, that happens.  I'm sure that's just peachy for the environment.

I"m not suprised she was blase, but I really thought they were required to have an auto shut off. Though it could be broken.

I had it overflow once, it was not pretty.

Guest submarines

I've never encountered a gas station which wasn't automatic. I've also never seen anyone not hold their hand on the nozzle handle while pumping.

I've never encountered a gas station which wasn't automatic. I've also never seen anyone not hold their hand on the nozzle handle while pumping.

Really? I can't even begin to remember the last time I saw someone stand and hold the nozzle the whole time their gas was pumping.

Really? I can't even begin to remember the last time I saw someone stand and hold the nozzle the whole time their gas was pumping.

Many states don't allow latches, you have to hold the nozzle the whole time. ETA: Somehow I missed your first post, yes, some states have removed the part that keeps it pumping.

Many states don't allow latches, you have to hold the nozzle the whole time. ETA: Somehow I missed your first post, yes, some states have removed the part that keeps it pumping.

I was thinking PA (my sister lives there).

I live in CA, I'm shocked that we have the latches here.

I meant that I am always there holding it while pumping gas. I've never tried to use the automatic shut off so I have no idea if they are around here or not.

How do you know when it's really full?  You just estimate?  I do stand there and hold it sometimes (as pointed out, some places and states don't have the latch) but I always just hold it until it's full.

How do you know when it's really full? You just estimate? I do stand there and hold it sometimes (as pointed out, some places and states don't have the latch) but I always just hold it until it's full.

I almost always have a $50 gift card that I get for $40 from our local grocery store. So, I stop at $50. The rare times I don't have a card I usually only get a few gallons.

We just had a spilled-gas incident in Maine, but it was just a little bit. The shut-off wasn't working. The attendant said if it was 3-4 gallons he'd have to call the fire department.

I'm in PA, we have latches here. Even when I was working at a gas station 25 years ago we had automatic shutoff.

From what she said, I'm almost positive she was saying that it was working the way it was supposed to work.  She said something like, yes, it's supposed to do that. There's a click and you have to stop it.  I've never heard of such a thing.

Then again, she did not seem like the brightest bulb.  It's possible we really weren't understanding one another.

From what she said, I'm almost positive she was saying that it was working the way it was supposed to work.  She said something like, yes, it's supposed to do that. There's a click and you have to stop it.  I've never heard of such a thing.

Then again, she did not seem like the brightest bulb.  It's possible we really weren't understanding one another.

The click is when the automatic shut off kicks in.  Then someone can try to top off above that but there are signs specifically telling you not to do that.  I agree with your assessment of her wattage.   ;)

Guest submarines

I wonder if it's regional. Everyone here stands glue to the handle, holding the nozzle, leaning awkwardly. :w00t:

How do you know when it's really full?  You just estimate?  I do stand there and hold it sometimes (as pointed out, some places and states don't have the latch) but I always just hold it until it's full.

I can tell it is full by the change of pitch - but I use sound to tell me when my coffee pot is full because I'm too lazy to stand over the sink in the morning too, so I might just be a weirdo.

If there was a click you were supposed to be listening for, my guess is that their auto-shutoff is broken and has been for some time.  

How do you know when it's really full? You just estimate? I do stand there and hold it sometimes (as pointed out, some places and states don't have the latch) but I always just hold it until it's full.

The sound of the gurgle. It changes when it's full. I've never been to a gas station without auto-shut off, but when I fill from my Dad's tanks at the farm I have to listen for the gurgle. Of course, there is not a latch for auto-fill either - I have to stand and hold. :)

They don't always work, in some vehicles. If the nozzle isn't in right they don't work right. And then then the spring can break on the nozzle that causes it to shut off (what most likely happened).

Yeah. The automatic shut off at most places doesn't work on our car, including the cheapest gas in the area. So I just stand there and hold it.

I wonder if it's regional. Everyone here stands glue to the handle, holding the nozzle, leaning awkwardly. :w00t:

Same here. I don't use the auto shut off mostly because our gas prices are astronomical these days, so I haven't gone to "full" with my pickup truck in a month or more. At $1.50/litre I usually just put $40-50 in and say done.

I have seen one overflow on someone else and just don't risk it. It's a mess.

I can tell it is full by the change of pitch - but I use sound to tell me when my coffee pot is full because I'm too lazy to stand over the sink in the morning too, so I might just be a weirdo.

If there was a click you were supposed to be listening for, my guess is that their auto-shutoff is broken and has been for some time.  

This whole thread is a mystery to me. I had no idea a gas pump that didn't stop automatically was even a possibility. I always stand and hold the nozzle, but I count on the pump to stop when it's full. I have never noticed a different sound when the tank is full. I would be absolutely shocked if this happened to me, and even more shocked at the attendant's response.

And now the mystery deepens to coffee pots. I can't even imagine what this is about. Are we talking about a coffee pot filling up with coffee or filling up with water? And what does standing over a sink have to do with it. I can tell my coffee maker is done brewing because it makes a big bubbly gurgle right at the end, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

I almost always stand there and hold it because I don't really have anything better to do while pumping gas.  Only once, ever, in the 20 years I've been pumping gas has the auto shut off failed.  There was something wrong with the pump.  I wouldn't have a clue how to tell the tank was full without auto shutoff!

I know it's silly, but I can't get over how bizarre this was to me.  Did you know gas is slippery when it's on the ground?  Not that I slipped, but I've never seen enough to encounter that.  On reflection, I can't believe the attendant didn't want to do something to clean it up.  Maybe I should make sure there were no gas station fires yesterday there.  I can totally imagine a dropped cigarette and...  whoosh.

I know it's silly, but I can't get over how bizarre this was to me.  Did you know gas is slippery when it's on the ground?  Not that I slipped, but I've never seen enough to encounter that.  On reflection, I can't believe the attendant didn't want to do something to clean it up.  Maybe I should make sure there were no gas station fires yesterday there.  I can totally imagine a dropped cigarette and...  whoosh.

It's really bizarre! And this thread is bizarre. Why do people keep mentioning that they hold the nozzle the whole time? I do too, but that wouldn't stop gas from spilling on the ground if the shutoff is inoperative. It just means it would spill on me too.

On reflection, I can't believe the attendant didn't want to do something to clean it up.  Maybe I should make sure there were no gas station fires yesterday there.  I can totally imagine a dropped cigarette and...  whoosh.

Or the spark from someone starting their engine, or the spark from static electricity....

Did you have to deal with the smell of it in your car? I hate that!

It's really bizarre! And this thread is bizarre. Why do people keep mentioning that they hold the nozzle the whole time? I do too, but that wouldn't stop gas from spilling on the ground if the shutoff is inoperative. It just means it would spill on me too.

But they listen for it to sound full, like how when you're filling up a bottle, you can hear the pitch change when it gets near the top.  Or they know that $40 or $50 won't overfill or whatever.  But I always just go to the stop.

I have never encountered a pump without an automatic shut-off. I always fill my tank. I only hold the nozzle in a gas station where there isn't a locking device. I actually try never to pump gas. It's one of my quirks. I mean, I pump gas if I need to, but my DH recognizes that this is just one of my quirks, and he keeps my car full of gas for me. It seems that gas pumps in Florida do not have the locking devices. Is that a Florida thing, or am I just unlucky here or just keep hitting the same gas stations, which would make logical sense?

But they listen for it to sound full, like how when you're filling up a bottle, you can hear the pitch change when it gets near the top.  Or they know that $40 or $50 won't overfill or whatever.  But I always just go to the stop.

Right, but you could do that if you prop the nozzle too. There are two issues --

1) Do you hold the nozzle or prop it up?

2) Do you stop the pump yourself or do you let the automatic shutoff stop it?

They're independent choices. Granted, it may be that people who prop are more likely to rely on the automatic shutoff. But still simply the fact that you hold the nozzle would do nothing to protect you in this kind of situation. It's the choice in stopping it on your own (based on a dollar amount, gallon calculation, or a full sound) that actually prevents the problem.

Or the spark from someone starting their engine, or the spark from static electricity....

Did you have to deal with the smell of it in your car? I hate that!

I checked.  No gas station fires in the news in Georgia yesterday.  Whew.

It doesn't smell.  Thank goodness.  And because I wasn't standing next to it holding it, I didn't have to finish out ten more hours of driving smelling like gas.

I'm amazed states allow people to leave the nozzle while pumping! I had no idea that was still legal in some states.  Crazy.  That's a huge no-no around here.  Static fire risk.  I'm not so worried about fire as I am by the carcinogenic nasty stuff that spews out flame retardants at any sign of a spark.

But you wouldn't get 2 gallons on the ground if you were holding it. You'd let go as soon as it started to overflow and get one bit of gas, not a LOT.

I'm amazed states allow people to leave the nozzle while pumping! I had no idea that was still legal in some states.  Crazy.  That's a huge no-no around here.  Static fire risk.  I'm not so worried about fire as I am by the carcinogenic nasty stuff that spews out flame retardants at any sign of a spark.

Well, you can't walk away in most states, I don't think.  But if they have the latch, as most states allow, then you can stand at the car and do something else, tidy your trash, check your phone, clean your windows, etc.  That's what I was doing.

And, as Cosmos points out, gas would have ended up on the ground anyway even if I had been physically holding it, though, yeah, definitely less.

This whole thread is a mystery to me. I had no idea a gas pump that didn't stop automatically was even a possibility. I always stand and hold the nozzle, but I count on the pump to stop when it's full. I have never noticed a different sound when the tank is full. I would be absolutely shocked if this happened to me, and even more shocked at the attendant's response.

And now the mystery deepens to coffee pots. I can't even imagine what this is about. Are we talking about a coffee pot filling up with coffee or filling up with water? And what does standing over a sink have to do with it. I can tell my coffee maker is done brewing because it makes a big bubbly gurgle right at the end, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

I'm listening to the coffee pot (or water bottle or gas tank) fill with liquid, not listening to the coffeepot. I guess it is the same principle as the musical glasses that have different pitches when filled with varying amounts of water and clanked with a spoon. I just listen to the sound of the falling liquid rather than the spoon.