Menu

When do you do your detailed planning?

When do you find yourself doing the nitty gritty down to the day lesson planning (if you do at all)?  During the year I find myself each weekend going over my plans, written in a lesson book I made from printables from Donna Young's website and then spiral bound them.  I adjust as needed and get everything solidified for the week, because then I feel more confident during the teaching.  I have 4 kids, and will have 4 doing something at least this year, levels preK, 2nd, 4th and 7th grades.  My oldest copies his assignments straight from the lesson plan to his assignment book or just comes back and looks at it as he moves through what he can do on his own. 

Last year in the summer I got at least some subjects totally written out for the semester into those sheets, like Singapore math or Soaring with Spelling where everything is either spaced out into weeks anyway (the spelling) or suggested in the teacher's guide.  So I had those and then filled in other stuff.  The second semester I didn't get to do that and felt off and behind. 

So my question is how you all do it - on the fly, written out or some combination?  And how detailed are you going?  Do you write down "extras" (historical fiction, art projects, whatever) in your lesson plans or do that on the fly?  I'm thinking I want to go more detailed this year as when I'm so busy I forget to put in those fun "extras" because I'm frazzled with the day to day, and then am disappointed we didn't get those on looking back.  But for those who plan very detailed plans long range, do you find yourself adjusting like crazy when life inevitably interferes for whatever reason? 

I haven't been satisfied the few times I tried computer software to plan.  I found it hard to use.  I know then it would be easier to adjust schedules and the computer just redoes the spacing in some software, but I don't think I want to go that way unless something new and brilliant is out since last time I tried it.

Okay, I only have one student, so find your salt shaker as needed :) but I do my weekly plans...

• months and months ahead,
  • after I have figured out when we will take time off for travel, holidays, etc., for the entire year,
  • in Excel or Google Spreadsheets for easy editing,
  • with the extras in mind,
  • but with built-in review/catch-up time, not jamming in as much as possible.

I print and ProClick a month in advance. (I am working on the September booklet now and want to have the October booklet done by September 1 and the November booklet by October 1, mostly because of some travel planned in October). The extras are in there. Sometimes the extras get done, and sometimes they get recycled.

I hate doing things at the last minute and am likely to give up on anything that looks hard if I don't get ready for it well in advance.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with a tab for each kid, a tab for things we do together, and a couple of tabs for weekly planning.  I plan out the entire year in the summer, but i plan it by days for each subject.  We do math each day, so there are 150ish days of math (less than our actual school year to allow for field trips, co-op days, etc) that are labeled 1-150.  Last year, we did science every other day, so I might only have 75 days of science planned.  I have every subject for each kid in their tab and just label everything by day number instead of Monday-Friday or whatever.  That way, if we get off of schedule for field trips or sick days, it's no big deal and I don't feel "behind".  If there are extras that I want to remember to add in, I make a note of it under the day number so I'll remember it, along with a reference, a book a need to check out at the library, any special ingredients I may need to purchase, etc.  Each weekend (or sometimes two weeks in advance), I sit down and go over the lesson plans for the last week.  I also may make notes on where I would like to be by each break, etc, just to help me stay on track. On each kids' tab, I highlight everything that they completed the prior week.  Then, I cut and paste the next lessons into the planner tab of the spreadsheet and print it out.  My DD12 copies her assignments from my planner page into her student planner.  DD8 and DS5 like to know how much they have left, but I don't want them messing with my sheet.  I typically write their assignments on a small dry erase board or a sticky note.  They get to erase or mark out each assignment as we complete it, so it's easy to see how their day is going. As I check assignments, I highlight it on my planner page to help me remember exactly where we are.  Sounds complicated on paper, but it's really very easy and takes almost NO time during the school year.

I plan about 75% of our year in advance.   I'm working feverishly on this fall's plans right now.  :)   I usually start in the spring, because it helps calm me down when we hit the February doldroms, but before I get totally burned out in April/May.    I get a little done in the spring, then finish the rest over the summer.    

Subjects that require flexibility I leave completely open and assign those on the fly.   That would include DD's math, because she needs to move quickly through some lessons and much slower at other times; and writing, because I adjust the level of difficulty based on what's going on with other school issues and general life; and any extras or extracurricular things.

I do my planning in Word, and give my kids each an assignment sheet for each week with every assignment written down.    I found that my DS especially works very well with a list (very much like my DH).   They both tend to work more independently with a written list.

When "life" happens, and we get sick, or interrupted in other ways, I decide on the fly how important each assignment is to get done.   We try to keep up with math even when we're sick, but may lighten the load.    Reading is usually something my kids LOVE, so they'll keep up with that voluntarily when they're sick.   I have found that having written lesson plans for the entire year actually helps us stay on track better when we have interruptions, because I can prioritize what needs to be done and what doesn't when I see it in black and white.    

One kid here...

My rough weekly schedule is mapped out now.  (What subjects I'll tackle, what days, for how long).  The most specific I get with our schedule is math, spelling, grammar, and latin.  (Scheduling the first half of each curriculum to end by Jan 1).  And even then, I build in room for off days.  But I do that all now, before the year gets started. This is mostly for me, because I need a summer break.

History, science, etc are guided by assigned reading (mostly), so those subjects are largely dependent upon how quickly my 3rd grader can move.  So I have a list, and we just do what comes next.  But I will be scheduling our once/month "tea," and bi monthly reporter writing sessions (with an old type writer we found in our attic -- I'm so excited).   

Stella

I do most of my planning at 3 different times. During the summer I'll plan through Christmas. Over Christmas break, I'll plan through to spring break (about 11 weeks worth usually). During spring break I'll plan the last chunk of the year. We finish some stuff as early as April, so spring break planning is usually just 1-2 months for each subject.

There are a few things I might just plan the whole year up front if it's just a predictable lesson or chapter each week.

I'm trying to get as much planning done as I can this week, before we are off traveling. I'll have another chunk of time when we get back the second week of August. 

I have only one kid. 

What I have learned: don't put specific dates on assignments. That way, when life happens, I don't feel quite as behind. I also build in "catch up" days - especially for math.

My planning just got more complicated this year as we are going to lengthen our "Morning Time" with which we start our days.

I plan out in detail: "Morning Time," math (including relevant videos and games), Latin, Spanish, Greek, History, and Science.

I don't plan out spelling, vocabulary, or grammar (we just do the next thing).

I also plan in a Word Document because that is how my brain works. Sometimes I even have to go back to pencil and paper, old fogey that I am.

Forgive me for being naive and inexperienced here (starting this fall or next..up in the air).

Can some one explain further?

Why don't you just start the beginning of the year with your curriculum and continue until done? 

Are you breaking down, in advance, how much time is spent on each subject?

Are you planning what days you will do science experiment?

How much detail goes into your planning?

Suddenly I am feeling a bit worried that I have not given much thought to planning.

Sorry if these questions have been asked, please feel free to direct me to past threads!

This is the first year I'm doing more detailed plans, mostly because we're adding more structured science & history & I want to make sure to have all the supplies on hand when we need them. Last year we just did the next thing & took time off whenever. We'll school 6 weeks on/1 week off & I intend to use the week off to adjust the plans if we get behind or ahead.

I'm not micromanaging our skill subjects, though. I'll do a basic overview each week, but it won't go much more in depth than that, I imagine.

I created an OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet that I'll use at least at first.

Planning right now. Five kids, but only four schooling. (Fifth is pre-K & if he decides he wants to do K, I'm going to  :svengo:  :scared: and then  :willy_nilly: .)

I have plans for each subject that isn't open & go. (Math is do-the-next-lesson.) Even Grammar has a list of the assignments so the kids can check off as they do them and we can see if we are going to get done about "on time" for the year.

My oldest has a "weekly" assignment sheet and I work on now and finalize right before school starts. All her assignments are on there. I try to plan one or two less weeks than we are going to have -- in order to make room for when "life happens." I have to remember to put in an extra week in 2015 for testing - so one less week for the lesson plans.

History & Science are usually planned out on their own sheets - with labs, extras, coloring pages, cooking stuff, crafts, etc. all listed so I can look up the week before and get the stuff I need. The key is to have plenty of wiggle room so you don't run out of school days to get everything done. (If you plan 180 days, it'll take you 200 to get done. So, plan two less weeks than what you think you'll do. If everything goes great, you will be done two weeks early. If life happens, you have room to spare or make it in just under the wire!)

The more I have planned out, the more we do. If I try to do things by the seat of my pants, nothing gets done.

Dd#2 will likely have a weekly checksheet of some sort this year, but it'll be less in depth than older sister's. It'll contain books assigned, extra history reading, grammar assignments, math expectations, and probably writing assignments, too.

Why don't you just start the beginning of the year with your curriculum and continue until done?

I'm not necessarily using things meant for the same number of days/weeks that we'll have. I don't want to run out of math in April or find I have only done half the history book in June. And I'm not using a curriculum for every subject --e.g., where some people choose FLL, I am doing my own thing for copywork and memory work. I don't want to have to think of something on the spot.

Just an estimate--flipping through a book and going hmm, this section is one day's work, but the next section will be too long for one day.

Yes, I have two days a week planned for science and know which activities go with which week. I don't want to get behind because oops, we don't have the right kind of thermometer and I have to order one.

Not that much. Spreadsheet here.

I did most of next year's planning last week when the kids were at basketball camp.  I do 36 week plans and plan all subjects separately.  That way, if we get behind in one, the other plans are just fine.

I have bindings cut off on workbooks and holes drilled so then I just have to grab the pages at the beginning of the week and load up my younger dd's "written work" notebook by days.  I tried this for the first time last year, and it worked very well.

My plans say "Week one", etc.  No dates.  That way I can skip a week if my dad has surgery, a friend has an emergency, etc.  I also have daily schedules for each kid so nothing gets forgotten.  These do not have time slots on them, just subjects to be completed. 

This is only our 2nd formal year HS (didn't get too crazy with K) but this is my first year doing major planning. I got the 30 day trial for Homeschool Planet and so far I really like it. I've got literature, writing, reading (ArtsyGirl) and spelling scheduled for the year. Math will just be scheduled as we go since it's impossible to predict how quickly they will move but at least I have the curriculum chosen. I still have to schedule Latin but the books will be here tomorrow. The big one I have to work on is science. I'd like to get BFSU totally scheduled out including all resources through Christmas break. BFSU fell apart last year once I ran out of pre-planned lessons and work got crazy.

I have bindings cut off on workbooks and holes drilled so then I just have to grab the pages at the beginning of the week and load up my younger dd's "written work" notebook by days. I tried this for the first time last year, and it worked very well.

My plans say "Week one", etc. No dates. That way I can skip a week if my dad has surgery, a friend has an emergency, etc. I also have daily schedules for each kid so nothing gets forgotten. These do not have time slots on them, just subjects to be completed.

With one exception, we've used a binder for three years, I could have written this word for word

I'm thinking I want to go more detailed this year as when I'm so busy I forget to put in those fun "extras" because I'm frazzled with the day to day, and then am disappointed we didn't get those on looking back

My kids are younger so I plan the fun stuff instead as their core subjects are open and go. For example electronics projects that need soldering are better done by my hubby since I rather not smell solder. Reading a topography map by hiking is better done in winter as summer is too hot here. Last year we did geocaching when the park rangers host a geocaching for families event. My libraries also have science for elementary school kids events where there is demos followed by some hands on.

We school year round though so my kids do get a head start before the academic year officially starts for us.

I don't know why this quote won't work but......

Whitehawk, I am so very impressed and extremely intimidated now! Thanks for sharing your calendar. I think.  :scared:

Feel free to copy anything that looks good to you and ignore the rest! I like spreadsheets because I don't have to keep things in my brain. :)

I am down to one kiddo, so my responsibilities as a teacher are different now. I have also discovered that the little man doesn't want to read a list or look at a spreadsheet. When he was in grade four (9yo turning 10yo), trying to tell him what to do and when caused much head-butting, generally discontent, and less productivity. I was here asking for suggestions and discussing prepubescent male behavior.

Last year, in grade 5, I backed way off. I put some of his core work in folders and let him do the week in whatever order and as much or as little each day (as long as he finished by the end of the week) as he wanted. So, there is more physical planning of ripping everything apart and putting it in folders and less typing. Last summer, I did fall semester, and did spring semester during winter break. This year I am going to do the whole year during the summer, and I am including almost all of his core work for LA, science, and social studies, and review work for math. I only have one more thing to purchase (EIW). After that, whenever folders with fasteners are available at Walmart, I will start assembling weekly folders.

HTH-

Mandy

I develop a course of study for each subject separately. Inevitably, there is one subject that takes longer, one he wants to change, or one that falls apart completely. So, I pull together weekly lessons from the course of study on a weekly basis. It doesn't take too long each week to just check the course of study and put down the next thing.

I'm working on those this week.  

I plan by subject for the entire year before we start a new school year.

Every Sunday I transfer from my subject planning sheets what we're doing each day into my lesson plan book.

Saves TONS of time to have it all pre-planned.

I wrote a blog series about my planning methods if you'd like to see the step by step progression of how I do it. I'll link you to the last in the series about planning subjects, but you might want to take a look at all of them since different things discussed in this thread are addressed in different posts.

How I Plan Our Homeschool Subjects

During the Spring I break down our year by week. In some subjecs, where I'm following a set curriculum that is just dividing the number of chapters by the number of weeks we school. In others, where I'm creating my own curriculum that may be just writing down what I want to focus on each week (anatomy might be, wk 1 skelatal system, wk 2 muscles, wk 3 digestive, ect). This is where I look up book reccomendations, experiments, projects, ideas, ect. It's all put into a spreadsheet by subject with week #, plans for that week, and supplement ideas. We school in 4 ten week quarters, each with an "11th" bonus week for catch up on anything that took longer than planned.

THEN every 10 weeks at the start of our new quarter (there is always a break week set aside for this) I plan out the knitty gritty. I plug everything from my spreadsheet into week at a glance sheets that are already filled out with appointments, co-op, ect. Looking at our schedule, what day will I do such and such lesson? I open the book and actually look at said lesson, is this new material? old? hard? easy? How much time will it take? Which books, projects, experments, will actually get done? (Not all of them!) What supplies do I need? What do I need to request on Interlibrary loan? Sometimes I'm a week behind or ahead. Just because its week 6 of winter quarter does NOT mean everything I take from the spreadsheet says week 6. That's what week 11 is for! Or sometimes a curriculum just goes into next year.

Guest go lower

I try to get most of my "Big Picture" planning done over the summer.  This might be where I pencil in subjects covered and lessons I'd like to accomplish weekly - basically a rough sketch of how each week will look.  After the first 6 weeks of the school year, I have to revisit this and typically rein some of the classes in because I tend to bight off more . . . After I have a realistic view of how the year will look, I tend to do my detailed planning week to week, usually on Sunday afternoons.  During the Christmas Break I "Big Picture" plan again for the second half and then revisit it all again over Spring Break.

Forgive me for being naive and inexperienced here (starting this fall or next..up in the air).

Suddenly I am feeling a bit worried that I have not given much thought to planning.

Sorry if these questions have been asked, please feel free to direct me to past threads!

I like to know how many chapters of a curriculum to "aim" for to finish it within a year. Of course sometimes I am behind or ahead, I don't push through on a skill subject just because its week 5 and we have to move on. But neither can 2nd grade math take 3 years. Some curriculums take 5 days a week to finish, others 2. By backing up to see the entire year at once I can make those decisions and set our schedule accordingly.

Yes, I break down how much time is spent. Often we finish early, and that is awarded with extra free time. So mostly I'm setting upper limits. My 5 yr old will do math every day for 30 min, for example. Or we will spend one hour twice a week on history.

Yes I plan science experiments ahead of time. Usually there is supply gathering required for science experiments, and I need to know what I'm doing in order to know what to gather. I think "do the next thing" only works in science if you buy a kit, which I've never been able to afford. You either have time or money in homeschool planning, and I have time ;)

Not a lot of detail in the "year view". Just this and this chapter about thus and thus, and a list of ideas for extra reading or projects. I dont get into detail until the beginning of the quarter when I have a better eye on how our schedule outside of school looks, if a crisis is happening, if we are on a roll, ect. Thats when I decide which ideas for extras actually get done and which days to do what.

Most things that I need printed out, I print over the summer.  I also enter all assignments in my HST+ software during the summer break.  I use fairly predictable curriculum, which I can then schedule in my HST+ software on a weekly basis.  So if you take WWE, for example, I would enter the lessons over the summer.  Then it is just a click away from scheduling when I need it during the year.  As for the details-like what part of the math lesson I am going to skip-I do that on the fly.  Anything that requires more preparation than that, I just do not use.  The exception is TOG--since I get my books from the library, I can't always count on them being there for me, so I do a bit more weekly prep for that program than the others after I see what has arrived for me at the library.  

It is best to do some planning, though you don't necessarily need to write out lesson plans for each day of the year.

Just like someone mentioned above, I count the number of days each subject will take. We have a 180-day school year, and I plan for a certain number of sick days, snow days, field trips, and testing. That leaves me with 165 days to fit in all subjects. Some subjects are done every day so that I need to fit them in in 165 days. Some subjects are once or twice per week, so I fit them in as 34 weekly lessons. As long as I keep track of when we take our sick/snow days and field trips, and as long as we complete all of our subjects each day, we will finished by the end of our school year.

Most curricula for sale is already broken down into daily lessons which fit into a school year, so usually it is not difficult to plan if you just count days. That is not always the case, though, as with horizons math which can take 165 days if we do the tests on the same day as a lesson, or else 181 days if we do tests on separate days. There are some subjects we start early in August so that we will be finished with them by our last day of school in June.

Therefore it is valuable to look at each of your subjects and calculate how many days you will need to finish them. That way you will not be caught off guard, ending up doing school in summer or else leaving various subjects incomplete.

OP - thanks for posting!  I need a tutorial on detailed planning as well.  I've been somewhat intimidated to plan for some time now as our days are always so unpredictable with many small children.  I make sure to hit the basics, but I sure would like to be more prepared for the other stuff.

I like to know how many chapters of a curriculum to "aim" for to finish it within a year. Of course sometimes I am behind or ahead, I don't push through on a skill subject just because its week 5 and we have to move on. But neither can 2nd grade math take 3 years. Some curriculums take 5 days a week to finish, others 2. By backing up to see the entire year at once I can make those decisions and set our schedule accordingly.

Yes, I break down how much time is spent. Often we finish early, and that is awarded with extra free time. So mostly I'm setting upper limits. My 5 yr old will do math every day for 30 min, for example. Or we will spend one hour twice a week on history.

Yes I plan science experiments ahead of time. Usually there is supply gathering required for science experiments, and I need to know what I'm doing in order to know what to gather. I think "do the next thing" only works in science if you buy a kit, which I've never been able to afford. You either have time or money in homeschool planning, and I have time ;)

Not a lot of detail in the "year view". Just this and this chapter about thus and thus, and a list of ideas for extra reading or projects. I dont get into detail until the beginning of the quarter when I have a better eye on how our schedule outside of school looks, if a crisis is happening, if we are on a roll, ect. Thats when I decide which ideas for extras actually get done and which days to do what.

Thanks for all this info!! :)

I am still trying to figure out all the planning and details since this is our second year. I have been using OneNote to enter in this year's plans, and I'm liking it so far. I have make a weekly list of library books needed for each subject, along with supplies and any extra activities we will be doing. I am in the process of gathering all supplies needed for the first 6 weeks of school, and on week 5 I will gather the following 6 weeks worth of supplies. I am literally putting them in ziplock bags, labeled, in a tub. That way for any science experiments, history projects, art etc it's ALL THERE ready to go.

I found that was my problem this year. If I didn't have everything in a convenient place or organized beforehand, it didn't get done. Things like math it's just do the next thing, so I'm not planning that out really. 

I am also doing the 36 week file folder system and have torn apart all workbooks we are using and separated them into their weekly spots. Anything that needs to be printed, I am printing and filing. I want everything as grab and go ready as I can. I am trying to think of things that would have made this past year easier on myself :) We'll see how this goes!

Detailed planning? The day before. Sometimes a week before. I did make plans for two months in advance once last year, and it worked, but hasn't since. I like just seeing where we're at and what we haven't been able to get to lately, and then planning the next day based on that information.

I do have a "13 year plan," but it's very skeletal (is that the right word?).

Last year was my first year homeschooling. I started with kids that were 7 and 10 and my plan of attack was just do the next thing. I didn't see the point of spending hours writing out (or typing) what to do each day when most curriculum is laid out in lessons or you can just open up and start where you left off. Well, we didn't finish everything I wanted to. Part of that is due to me changing it up a couple times as we found out what works for us. The rest of it would have been helped with a plan. I tried telling DH on days he was with them to just do the next few pages in math, grammar, history, spelling and writing. His response when it wasn't done..."I didn't know what needed done". I had no idea, other than just eyeballing the side of the book to see if we were about half way through it, if we were on track to finish on time. I forgot to order books for our history reading from the library a week ahead. 

The main reason I think it would help though, is unforeseen situations. Both of my husbands parents were sick last year, both spent more than a week in the hospital with us being told that they could pass any minute. We spent countless hours at the hospital with barely time at home to shower every couple days.Then we had planning for funerals, out of state family guests and so on. Part of that time the kids were with us, part of it they spent with my mom. If we had a written plan of some sort, my mom could have kept on with their schooling. I am using the 36 file system this year. It is taking me a bit of time to write out every lesson, copy as needed and stuff folders. But not needing to print math mammoth worksheets the day of or copy activity guides, will speed up the school day. Also, if I had these folders last year, I could have grabbed one and headed to the hospital for them to work in the waiting room. I'm sure that type of tragedy will not strike again next year but it did teach me that time spent being prepared is not not time wasted.

I feel like I'm overly simplistic!  I use all open-and-go materials, so my nitty-gritty planning is simply looking over it either the weekend before or even the day of.  Perhaps that's because DS is only entering 2nd grade.  I suspect having an only also impacts the amount of planning that must be done in advance; I don't have to juggle multiple kids and try to keep track of what each is doing.

Planning is useful if you want to get to a certain place by a certain time.  If you want to do all 3 stages of The Trivium you're going to have to have some sort of plan in place so you can cover the same territory 3 times at each different level.  If you want your child to take an SAT test at a certain age, then you'll need to have covered certain skills in certain subjects by then.  If you're planning on submitting a transcript of your child's homeschooling to selective colleges, you'll need to cover certain subjects by a certain time. If these and other situations and preferences don't apply to you, then do the next thing if it works for you and your kids. 

If you don't have some idea of your long term academic goals for your kids, I suggest thinking about it earlier rather than later.  Some people will want specific things covered and mastered by the end of the high school years.  If you're one of them, you should know that as soon as possible and plan accordingly rather than discovering it later when you're closer to the end and feeling pressure to speed things up, add things or make an abrupt change of course.  

Planning can also really pay off, as someone upthread pointed out, when the unexpected comes and consumes your life. There's no reason you can't change your schooling schedule in those situations and take a break then resume school when the crisis is over, but some people don't want to do that.  For those that don't, having already spent the time and energy thinking about it, planning it and organizing it completely beforehand makes continuing through the crisis easier.

Some personalities prefer completing a task in total in one large, intensive work session as opposed to doing smaller work sessions throughout a time period.  Some parents and students prefer knowing when they're completely done for the day or week when they get started.  Some like to have the incentive to have a whole week's worth of work in front of them and know that if they work longer for several days, they can have a day off. These situations don't apply to everyone, but if they apply to you and/or your kids, consider planning long term.