Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW26

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 26 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Summertime ReadingHey, we are halfway through the year and hallelujah for summertime. For me, it is a well needed break from lessons, although planning never ends. Time to indulge in those books,  you know the ones - those chunky and dusty ones sitting on your shelves - that you haven't had time to read during the busyness of the year. 

Tell me what you think of when you hear the word summer?  Besides freedom, that is. *grin*   Summer brings thoughts of lightness and frivolity, fireflies and gnats, pools and pool parties, golden sunshine, and moonbeams, birds singing and the growl of lawnmowers.   Blue, green and yellow;  daffodils and daisies; ice cream and sweet tea; bbq and beer.  Or wine, depending on your preference. ~clink~

My stacks have a few summery reads so I won't have to resort to sifting through 1000's of choices from goodreads for summer light, blue, or daffodils to name a few.  Currently in my stacks is Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun, Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer, Bradley's Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and Lehane's Moonlight Mile.  Not exactly cozy beach reads, but I'm sure to find a few along the way.  

Join me in reading books with summer or summer related words in the title for the season for summer.

Halfway point: Can you believe we are already halfway through the year already.  How are you doing so far with your various goals - the 5/5/5 and mini challenges I've presented and those you've posed for yourself? 

History of the World Readalong:  Chapters 24 and 25

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 25

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm halfway through Diana Gabaldon's Dragonfly in Amber.  Also on ebook have been reading Nalini Singh's Psy Changelings series and on # 4 Mine to Possess.    Plus listening to audiobook First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones (thank you Karen, enjoying it greatly)

I'm currently reading and enjoying

Ghost Seer (The Ghost Seer Series) by Robin Owens

"There’s just something about Clare. Apart from the ghosts…

When her eccentric aunt passes away, no-nonsense accountant Clare Cermac inherits more than just a small fortune. She receives the gift of communicating with ghosts. While Clare may not believe in spirits, it’s hard to overlook the shadowy talking dog appearing on her bed or spectral cowboys tipping their hats to her in the streets of Denver. And when she locks eyes with sexy—and living—Zach Slade, there’s certainly no ignoring him either.

A former deputy sheriff, Zach is leaving a painful past behind in Montana for a new life in Denver as a private investigator, a job that has him crossing paths with beautiful Clare. Not that she minds. After the restless ghost of a Wild West gunman demands her assistance, Clare finds herself needing Zach more and more—and not just for help."

This book would probably be classified as urban fantasy; it's light and not scary.  I've previously enjoyed Robin Owens' Celta HeartMate books.  This book is quite different from those; however, the talking ghost dog reminds me of some of the fam animals in that series.  I'm close to finished with this book, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for book two.

Regards,

Kareni

VC and I are in agreement:  The Cone-Gatherers is really excellent.  As VC noted after she read the book a few weeks ago, the storyline is similar to Of Mice and Men but the backdrop is that of the Scottish homefront during WWII.  Personally I think it offers one of the best literary examinations that I have encountered of the changes brought to the British class system by the wars of the 20th century.  I can also see why this would be an assigned favorite by Scottish high school literature teachers. The symbolism is tangible (I suspect even for the most literal of teens).

I have also been reading/listening to a number of Agatha Christie novels this year that have archaeological references.  This week I finished listening to Appointment with Death, a Hercule Poirot mystery, which does not have much to do with archaeology but is partially set at Petra. I particularly enjoyed this book--maybe because I was unfamiliar with the plot?

I am still reading David McCullough's book The Greater Journey:  Americans in Paris.  Very well done but I poke along at non-fiction.  What fascinated me this week was learning about Augustus Saint-Gaudens who I had assumed was French.  Silly me.  He was born in Dublin to a French father and Irish mother, then raised in NYC.  At age 13 he was apprenticed to a cameo cutter which is how he honed the skills that he would later use as a sculptor.  Unlike many of the Americans in Paris at the time (1860's), Saint-Gaudens did not come from a monied family.  He had drive and a useful skill (cameo cutting) which allowed him to pay the rent while studying in Paris.  Some may best know his work from the beautiful design of the American gold eagle coin, but personally I love his sculpture at the Boston Common, the tribute to Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusetts.

(The film Glory tells their story.)

This week I shall carry on with  The Time Regulation Institute by Turkish author Ahmet Hamdi Tanpinar.

Halfway status report:

Challenges

Dusty books 6/10

Chunky Books 8/8  - complete

Nobel Prize Winners  0/5   (need to step it up)

Around the World 6/14

Well Educated Mind  0/5   (same here)

Faith Reads  (3/5)

10 in 12 Centuries (5/10

A to Z Challenge - Up to the J's - Serendipitous that we are talking about reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

63 books completed so far (39 ebooks, 22 physical and 2 did not finish)

In progress:  History of the Ancient World - woefully behind - just not holding my interest.

Three Philosophies of Life  - Peter Kreft (bedtime read and almost done)

Augustine's Confessions - slow slow going (think will move to bedtime read once done with Kreft)

Stacks are still tall and wobbly and seem to be having babies.

Quick update:

Enjoying summer and not getting as much reading done. Doing some cleaning projects around the house that I don't have time to get to during the school year--cleaning out kids' dressers, cleaning out my inbox, etc. Blueberry picking season has begun--picked 21 lbs yesterday. Some made it to the freezer but most will be eaten fresh. We eat tons of these for the next month or so. Yum! Went to a baseball game. Made homemade ice cream. Lots of good summer activity here.

Reading-wise: finished Jo Walton's Ha'Penny--very good. Dd is working on her summer reading for her first public school experience in the fall. She was assigned Ender's Game and The Secret Life of Bees and has a couple of things to do due the first day of school. Dh found out she got to read Ender's Game and he was quite jealous. "Ender's Game? She gets to read Ender's Game? We had to read things like The Pearl and she gets Ender's Game??!" So he quickly re-read it before she could get to it. I'm about half-way through myself (it's a re-read for both dh and I), and dd is a little ahead of me. I've been reading Ender's Game instead of HOTAW or Possession--no progress on those this week. And I think we only read a couple of chapters of Jane Eyre. That's the update here.

Having a hard time deciding what book I want to read next. Have a big library pile, along w/ all my book piles at home, but just can't seem to settle on something.

Thanks for all the b-day wishes! Dd's b-day is the day before mine & my mom's is this week, so we're in b-day mode around here (not much time for reading). Dd's friends will be here in a few minutes for a sleep-over for her b-day.

I think I want something light & fun to read, but just don't know what.

I'm enjoying The Bookman's Tale, a mystery set in the world of rare books and the question of the authorship of Shakespeare's plays.  Kareni, your nifty old book find sounds like a chapter from this book!  I found The Bookman's Tale at one of my favorite independent bookstores earlier in the week on a shelf of recommended titles.  The staff at that store have good taste.

What does summer mean?  Doing nothing.  Reading.  Shakespeare plays in the outdoor theater.  Swimming.  But any time of the year is good puzzle building time especially when my puzzle making buddy, the college boy, is around.  We make a good team as you can see in the attached photo.  I did the all the walls and the 3-D layout, he did the floors, moat and roofs and did the final assembly while I was at my Into the Woods gig yesterday.  I present:  The Anif Castle!  I swore it would never be finished, and yet I'd obsessively work away sorting windows and building walls each afternoon.  

14481576824_514272c0ec_z.jpg

I'm enjoying The Bookman's Tale, a mystery set in the world of rare books and the question of the authorship of Shakespeare's plays.  Kareni, your nifty old book find sounds like a chapter from this book!  I found The Bookman's Tale at one of my favorite independent bookstores earlier in the week on a shelf of recommended titles.  The staff at that store have good taste.

What does summer mean?  Doing nothing.  Reading.  Shakespeare plays in the outdoor theater.  Swimming.  But any time of the year is good puzzle building time especially when my puzzle making buddy, the college boy, is around.  We make a good team as you can see in the attached photo.  I did the all the walls and the 3-D layout, he did the floors, moat and roofs and did the final assembly while I was at my Into the Woods gig yesterday.  I present:  The Anif Castle!  I swore it would never be finished, and yet I'd obsessively work away sorting windows and building walls each afternoon.  

I just came by to read what everyone's up to and had no intention of posting because I don't have time to do a proper update but I couldn't leave without saying "Jolly good job JennW and son!"

I love it!  Can you link to the puzzle? I always get DD a puzzle for St. Nicholas Day and we work on it up to Christmas.  I believe she would have fun doing something like this.  

Great puzzle work, Jenn!  Glad you and College Boy can have this fun together.

Robin shared her halfway report.  Here is mine:

2014 5/5/5 Challenge:  Food Novels or Food Memoirs, Eastern/Middle European Authors, Shaw, Dorothy Dunnett, Dusty Books

Chunksters

1) The Lodger, Marie Belloc Lowndes, 1913--Dusty Book #1

2) The Blithedale Romance, Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1852--Dusty Book #2

3) Radiance of Tomorrow, Ishmael Beah, 2014

4) The Mission Song, John le Carre, 2006

5) The Debt to Pleasure, John Lanchester, 1996--Foodie #1

6) The Cunning Little Vixen, Rudolf Tesnohlidek, 1920, 1985 translation--Dusty #3, Eastern/Middle Europe #1

7) Scoop, Evelyn Waugh, 1938--Dusty #4

8) The Upcycle, William McDonough and Michael Braungart, 2013

9) Red Gold, Alan Furst, 1999

10) Destination Unknown, Agatha Christie, 1954 (audio book)

11) Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte, 1847

12) Purge, Sofi Oksanen, 2008, Eastern European #2

13) The Red Badge of Courage, Stephen Crane, 1895 (audio book)

14) My Year of Meats, Ruth Ozeki, 1998--Foodie #2

15) The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England, Ian Mortimer, 2013

16) Cheerfulness Breaks In, Angela Thirkell, 1940

17) The Moon-Spinners, Mary Stewart, 1962

18) Mastering the Art of French Eating, Ann Mah, 2013, Foodie #3

19) Mr. Fox, Helen Oyeyemi ,2011

20) Autobiography of a Corpse, Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, stories written 1925-1927; translation by Joanne Turnbull and Nikolai Formozov 2013 Eastern/Middle Europe #3

21) Before Lunch, Angela Thirkell, 1939

22) The Demon in the House, Angela Thirkell, 1934

23) The Franchise Affair, Josephine Tey, 1948

24) The Return of Captain John Emmett, Elizabeth Speller, 2011

25) Miss Buncle's Book, D.E. Stevenson, 1936

26) Postern of Fate, Agatha Christie, 1973

27) This Rough Magic, Mary Stewart, 1964

28) The Language of Baklava, Diana Abu-Jaber, 2005, Foodie #4

29) Scales of Gold, Dorothy Dunnett, 1991, DD#1

30) They Came to Baghdad, Agatha Christie, 1951

31) Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys, 1966

32) The Truth, Terry Pratchett, 2000.(audio book)

33) Kingdom of Shadows, Alan Furst, 2000, Dusty #5

34) Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, Robin Sloan, 2012

35) Grayson, Lynne Cox, 2006,(audio book)

36) Death in the Truffle Wood, Pierre Magnan 1978; translation Patricia Clancy 2005) Foodie #5

37) And Only to Deceive, Tasha Alexander, 2005

38) The Narrow Corner, W. Somerset Maugham, 1932

39) Appointment with Death, Agatha Christie, 1938 (Audio book)

40) The Cone-Gatherers, Robin Jenkins, 1955

Two chapters behind on HoAW.

Obviously need to read Shaw and more Dunnett to stay on top of my 5/5/5 challenges.

This is what I did this morning, kayaking in a cypress swamp:

14458612646_49d5643a22_z.jpg

It was gorgeous!

I'm sure my ds bought the puzzle at our neighborhood Barnes and Noble (it was a Christmas gift to me) but it can be found at Amazon or other toy stores.  Here's the B&N link for the Puzz3D Anif Castle   

It is very different from any other puzzle I've done, not just because it is 3-D, but because the puzzle pieces are foam and not all the bits have been punched out.  They are cut, but just not punched out.  We have a pile of bits that we had to pull apart before we even started and of the little itty bitty squares that had to get pulled out as we assembled the walls.  Clearly my ds and I suffer from the same OCD impulse that kept us going!!  My dh just shakes his head and walks away in utter disbelief that we find it fun and relaxing!!

Here's my halfway report:

1. The Secret Garden

2. The Goldfinch

3. A Year Down Yonder

4. Behind the Beautiful Forevers

5. Homer's Odyssey

6. The Invention of Wings

7. Gone Away Lake

8. Crispin

9. A Gathering of Days

10. Code Name Verity

11. Worst Ideas Ever

12. Brain on Fire

13. Rose Under Fire

14. Raising Stony Mayhall

15. Moving Day

16. The Martian

17. Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

18. Hidden

19. Masterminds and Wingmen

Just started #20 - Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah

Audio books in progress:

1. I Feel Bad About My Neck - Nora Ephron

2. Going Clear - Lawrence Wright

3. My Mother was Nuts - Penny Marshall

4. Call the Midwife - Jennifer Worth

I just finished a Baha'i book - Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst - about His travels to Europe and North America from 1911 to 1913 - 4 Stars. Most of the stories I already knew, but it was nice to re-read them. Some were completely new to me and I enjoyed those. 

51Cvqjd5D6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Not sure what to read next. 

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

I'm currently reading and enjoying

Ghost Seer (The Ghost Seer Series) by Robin Owens

"There’s just something about Clare. Apart from the ghosts…

When her eccentric aunt passes away, no-nonsense accountant Clare Cermac inherits more than just a small fortune. She receives the gift of communicating with ghosts. While Clare may not believe in spirits, it’s hard to overlook the shadowy talking dog appearing on her bed or spectral cowboys tipping their hats to her in the streets of Denver. And when she locks eyes with sexy—and living—Zach Slade, there’s certainly no ignoring him either.

A former deputy sheriff, Zach is leaving a painful past behind in Montana for a new life in Denver as a private investigator, a job that has him crossing paths with beautiful Clare. Not that she minds. After the restless ghost of a Wild West gunman demands her assistance, Clare finds herself needing Zach more and more—and not just for help."

This book would probably be classified as urban fantasy; it's light and not scary.  I've previously enjoyed Robin Owens' Celta HeartMate books.  This book is quite different from those; however, the talking ghost dog reminds me of some of the fam animals in that series.  I'm close to finished with this book, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for book two.

Regards,

Kareni

I decided to respond to my quotes so I don't end up searching for them later.  Will post all the update stuff later.  Kareni,  this one looks really good.  Have never read the author either so will go looking. :)

I meant to tell you last week that I have been on the wait list for The Bookman's T ale for several weeks.  It was simply shown in the library's new book section and looked interesting.  So glad you are enjoying it, I am now really looking forward to it.

The puzzle is wonderful.  I give you huge kudos for completing it.  Many years ago we attempted a foam 3d and quit.  No one liked the feel of it.

Continuing my When in Rome challenge, and needing a portable paperback for the next few days, Nancy Brysson Morrison's The Gowk Storm will be displacing the Decameron through Thursday. Must go pack....

And I will await a Gowk review. Safe travels!

I haven't posted in forever. 

I've been reading C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy. I finished Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra. I initially was planning on assigning them to ds as part of his first unit for school but I think they're a little too complex for him. He could read them but I'm not sure he'd really get them like he would if he was older. 

I also just finished The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen which is part of a middle-grade fantasy series that ds loves and suggested I read. The third book just came out and we both are waiting for it from the library. 

I'm currently reading The Rocks Don't Lie by David Montgomery which is really interesting. He's a geologist looking at the evidence for Noah's flood, although it's more that he's looking at the history of people looking for the evidence of Noah's flood. It's interesting in his examination of how science and religion have interacted at different times in history, often not as antagonistic as we may think today.

Summer for me is pool time, beach time and catching up on everything time. We also tend to throw in a few puzzles and board games along the way. Last night we played Clue. I also look forward to our annual tubing trip to Ichetucknee:

What fun! I lived in Jacksonville as a teen and did this a couple of times. Wonderful memories.

I have just returned from another homeschool park event. I wish I could figure out how to post a larger pic than the thumbnails I always post. Y'all are able to post such lovely large pics. At any rate there I was in the woods with Orcs and Dwarves, Mages and Elves and various other creatures running amok with bows and arrows, shields, daggers and much glee. It was freezing even in my winter jacket and boots and ds's hoodie (again!). I was informed that I needed more 'insulation' and that it was actually the motivation for eating, the weather  :smilielol5: We had a good laugh about that. Eventually I retreated to the car where I sat with a stunning view of the water and warmed up a bit until dh arrived to take the afternoon shift.

This is the first week since we started that I didn't finish a book. I'm almost half-way through 'The Firebrand' and very much enjoying it. I continue to stumble along with Promises, Promises but will be likely bidding it adieu soon. I'm sure its author can talk it through any abandonment issues that come up.

To answer Robin's question--and btw Robin, your avatar is wonderful, I keep meaning to comment on it--summer means one thing, no regular commutes :party:

Mid year progress:

Books read 2014:

January-

The Winter Ghosts- Kate Mosse (France, early 20th century, 14th century)*

Mrs. DeWinter- Susan Hill (Europe, Britain,  based on Rebecca)

Snow Falling on Cedars- David Guterson (Washington State, WWII, Japanese immigrants, mystery)

Troubling a Star- Madeleine L'Engle  (Antarctica, juvenile  mystery)  

The Snow Child- Eowyn Ivey (Alaska,19th century, fairytale retelling)*

Emily Dickinson is Dead- Jane Langton (Massachusetts, Homer Kelly )

Winter Study- Nevada Barr (US/Canadian border island, suspense, least favorite)

The History of the Kings of Britain- Geoffrey of Monmouth (written in 12th Century, Britain, Europe, dusty book)

Russian Winter- Daphne Kalotay (mid 20th century, Russia, Massachusetts)

Winter Pony- Iain Lawrence (Antarctica, juvenile historical fiction)

February-

The Rosewood Casket- Sharon McCrumb (North Carolina, Appalachian family mystery)

A Single Shard-Linda Sue Park (Korea, 12th century, juvenile historical fiction, Newberry Award)*

The Dante Game- Jane Langton (Italy, mystery, Homer Kelly)

Life After Life- Kate Atkinson (England, Germany, Early 2oth century, WWII)

The Inferno- Dante (13th century, Hell)

The Thief of Venice - Jane Langton(Italy, Homer Kelly, Art treasure)

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag- Bradley (England, mystery, Flavia)

March-

Practical Magic -Alice Hoffman (US, witches)

The Angel's Game- Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain, early 20th century, books about books, reread)

Miss Seeton Draws the Line- Heron Carvic (British cozy mystery)

A Natural History of Dragons-  (Fantasy, dragons)

Water Tales- Alice Hoffman- (US, mermaids)

Chocolat- Joan Harris (France, chocolate, witches)*

Payment Deferred- C.S. Forester (England, suspense, blah)

Cinnamon and Gunpowder-(Pirates, chefs, 19th century)

A Year in Provence- Peter Mayle (France, Humor, Food, non-fiction)

Incident at Badamya-Dorothy Gilman (Burma, intrigue)*

Looking at Philosophy: The Unbearable Heaviness of Philosophy Made Lighter- David Palmer (non-fiction)

April-

A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek- Annie Dillard (US, Virginia, nature, non-fiction)

Aunt Dimity Vampire Hunter- Nancy Atherton (England, cozy mystery)

The Camelot Caper- Elizabeth Peters (England, mystery)

Maisie Dobbs- Winspear (England, mystery, WWI)*

Thou Art That- Joseph Campbell ( non-fiction, religious metaphor)*

King of Shadows- Susan Cooper (England, juvenile historical fiction, Globe Theater, 16th century)

The Secret Keeper- Kate Morton (England, mystery)

Sold to Miss Seeton- (England, cozy mystery)

A Red Herring Without Mustard- Alan Bradley (England, Flavia, mystery)

The Cherry Orchard and The Three Sisters- Anton Chekov (Russia, plays)

The Believing Brain- Michael Shermer (non-fiction)

May-

Boneshaker- Cherie Priest (US, Seattle, Civil War era, steampunk)

Kaleidoscope- Dorothy Gilman (US, New York state, mystery, psychics)

A Legend in Green Velvet- Elizabeth Peters (Scotland, mystery)

Murder at the National Gallery- Margaret Truman (US, Washington DC,  art theft, mystery)

The Art of Happiness- Dalai Lama (non-fiction)

The Immaculate Deception- Iain Pears (Mystery, art theft, Italy)

Uncertain Journey- Dorothy Gilman (Intrigue, Europe)

Girl in Hyacinth Blue- Susan Vreeland (Netherlands,  historical fiction, Vermeer, 17th century)

Girl Reading- Katie Ward (Art, historical fiction, Europe)

Night Train to Memphis - Elizabeth Peters (Mystery, Egypt)

Sundays at Tiffany's- James Patterson (Angels, romance, US)

June-

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett (Fantasy, Pied Piper alternate story)

Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman (Fantasy, London)

Caravan- Dorothy Gilman (Adventure, Early 20th century, African desert)

Birds of a Feather- Jaqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs mystery, England)

Dodger- Terry Pratchett (Victorian England, alternate history, YA)

The Missing Marquess- Jane Springer (Victorian England, Sherlock Holmes Sister, juvenile mystery)

I'm currently reading The Little Book by Seldon Edwards. It's taking a while to get into the story.

It was gorgeous!

This looks heavenly! And such a lovely depiction of light in some of its variations...

Summer for me is pool time, beach time and catching up on everything time. We also tend to throw in a few puzzles and board games along the way. Last night we played Clue. I also look forward to our annual tubing trip to Ichetucknee:

What fun!

Props to you, Jenn, for your enthusiastic completing of this. Ds would enjoy it and I'll check your link out. We've got a Hobbiton 3D foam puzzle awaiting completion here. Not being a puzzler it is all ds's doing :D

I am enjoying reading everyone's  lists.  I have gotten some more books to put on my TBR  list.   Thanks!

Summer to me means more work--gardening, yard work,  school planning--summer foods, like potato salad, ice cream and rhubarb crisp  and fluff books.  But this year,  I have been reading fluff all year long so it doesn't mean any difference in my reading. 

Here is my list, so far, for 2014:

1) The Aviator's Wife--Melanie Benjamin

2) Mr. Churchill's  Secretary--Susan Elia MacNeal

3) Loving Frank--Nancy Horan

4)The Ocean at the End of the Lane--Neil Gaiman

5) The Signature of All Things--Elizabeth Gilbert

6) Under A Wing--Reeve Lindbergh

7) The Interestings--Meg Wollitzer

8) Howards End is on the Landing--Susan Hill

9) Flora and Ulysses--Kate DiCamillo (children's book)

10) The Remains of the Day--Kazuo Ishiguro

11) The is the Story of a Happy Marriage--Ann Patchett

12) Perfect--Rachel Joyce

13)The Circle--Dave Eggers

14)Goldfinch--Donna Tartt

15) The Husband's Secret-- Leanne Moriarty

16) The Dead in their Vaulted Arches--Alan Bradley

17) Wildwood--Colin Meloy (children's book)

18) The Living Page--Laurie Bestvater

19) Medea--Euripedes

20) The Luminaries--Eleanor Catton

21) Lost Lake--Sarah Addison Allen

22) Longbourne--Jo Baker

23) Her Princess Elizabeth's Spy--Susan Elia MacNeal

24) Coden Name Verity--Elizabeth Weins

25) Till We Have Faces--C.S.Lewis

26) Her Majesty's Hope--Susan Elia MacNeal

27) The Cuckoo's Calling--Robert Galbraith

28) Missing You--Harlan Coben

29) The Mysterious Howling--Maryrose Wood (children's book)

30) Radical Hospitality  by Fr. Daniel Homan and Lonnie Pratt

31) A Lantern in her Hand--Bess Streeter Aldrich

32) The Cocktail Party--T.S.Eliot

33) Cruel Beauty--Rosamund Hodges

34) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone--J.K.Rowling (re-read)

35) Holy is the Day--Carolyn Weber

36) Murder at the Vicarage--Agatha Christie (audio book)

Who is Thomas Merton?

I learned about Augustinus by/at? Church History, but never heard about Merton.

DH is really touched by the Confessiones, though.

Thomas Merton was a catholic, trappist monk who wrote quite a few books in his lifetime.  My intro to him was his autobiograghy Seven Storey Mountain.  He knew a lot of writers and became friends with the Dalie Lama and Thich Nhat Hanh, among others,  because he like to study the different faiths as well as his own. 

Wow!  That is awesome. Great job.   I tried one of those 3d puzzles because it was too frustrating for me. 

Enjoying reading what everyone has read so far.

Stacia!!  Happy belated birthday!

<snip>

I think I want something light & fun to read, but just don't know what.

In a minute I'll post my own catch-up, but a light read I just finished and enjoyed is Helen Bryant's The Sisterhood -- it was on KLL last month; hopefully still is -- review in my next post!

I can see why. I much prefer Thomas Merton but going to give Augustine a chance.

I  :001_wub: Thomas Merton... such a thoughtful, curious, simultaneously gentle-and-demanding soul.  Just loved everything I've ever read by him.  Have never, however, considered him and Augustine in the same camp, LOL...

I<snip> 

... any time of the year is good puzzle building time especially when my puzzle making buddy, the college boy, is around.  We make a good team as you can see in the attached photo.  I did the all the walls and the 3-D layout, he did the floors, moat and roofs and did the final assembly while I was at my Into the Woods gig yesterday.  I present:  The Anif Castle!  I swore it would never be finished, and yet I'd obsessively work away sorting windows and building walls each afternoon.  

This. is. AWESOME.

As is this:

14458612646_49d5643a22_z.jpg

It was gorgeous!

And Negin, you just made my day, because Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst is on KLL as well.  I am plagued monthly by finding a KLL pick that I want to read, and you just solved it for me...

I just finished a Baha'i book - Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst - about His travels to Europe and North America from 1911 to 1913 - 4 Stars. Most of the stories I already knew, but it was nice to re-read them. Some were completely new to me and I enjoyed those. 

51Cvqjd5D6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Not sure what to read next. 

And Robin, thanks for keeping the accountability on...  I think I'm at 89 books total... For my 5/5/5 challenges I'm at: Dusties: 3/5; War Narratives from Female Perspective: 5/5; Poetry: 3/5; Philosophy: 2/5; Rabbit Trails off Psalms: 3/5... and I think I've covered 9 centuries (I'm in the market for recommendations of something written in the 10th century).  

Summertime is: No. Daily.  Driving.  Ahhhhhh.....

Happy belated birthday, Stacia! I missed it in the last thread!

Oh man, looking at that tubing picture makes me want to go tubing RIGHT NOW. I'm definitely going at least once this summer.

As for reading, I haven't picked up a book today so I'm going to go snuggle up with Written In My Own Heart's Blood for a while before sleep. 

Just realizing that I haven't posted my to date list ::

5/5/5

FairyTale/Myth :: 2/5

Ancients from Women's Perspective :: 3/5

Midwifery Novels :: 3/5

Magical Realism :: 1/5

Mary Stewart :: 3/5

I need to go to my GR page to cut and paste the titles but to date I've read 30 books.

I finished Pride and PrejudiceI loved Mr. Bennet! But other than that, I didn't like P&P as much as Northanger Abbey, and since I expected to prefer P&P given its popularity, I was a little disappointed. 

I also read The Merchant of Venice

Halfway point: Can you believe we are already halfway through the year already.  How are you doing so far with your various goals - the 5/5/5 and mini challenges I've presented and those you've posed for yourself? 

My 5/5/5 status:

WEM Novels: 2

1,001 books - 21st Century: 2

Recommendations: 1

Education/Learning: 5

Books of the Bible: 5+

I also hoped to read one Shakespeare play each month, and while I've followed through so far, I am beginning to tire of it. I intend to see at least one performance at the Illinois Shakespeare Festival this summer, so that should push me to continue for one or two more months. And then we'll see.

And Negin, you just made my day, because Abdu'l-Baha in Their Midst is on KLL as well.  I am plagued monthly by finding a KLL pick that I want to read, and you just solved it for me...

Pam, what's KLL? I tried to look it up but didn't come up with anything. It may not be THE best book, meaning that I might be able to suggest some others (possibly better ones), but it's still good nonetheless. I liked the organization, but would have appreciated some photos. 

Currently reading The Murder Bag by Tony Parsons.  So far it rates as a good suspense novel.  A group of 7 boys attended boarding school together and 20 years later they are being savagely murdered.  I like the police detective.  Also reading The Confessions of a Duchess by Nicola Cornick.  Fluffy.

I recently finished Victoria Holt's The Shivering Sands.  It was wonderful.  Exactly what a good Gothic mystery/romance is supposed to be.  Suspenseful with a few false leads.  Great atmosphere, although no cliffs exactly it had caves and quicksand.  I have given it to dd for her enjoyment.

My mid year accounting puts me at 163 books finished.  Please remember I read a great deal of fluff.  I have done 14 of Robin's challenges.  Visited 38 countries for my geography challenge.  The only 5/5 I have finished is my World War history one.  No longer even sure what my other 5/5 should be :lol:

Pam, what's KLL? I tried to look it up but didn't come up with anything. It may not be THE best book, meaning that I might be able to suggest some others (possibly better ones), but it's still good nonetheless. I liked the organization, but would have appreciated some photos. 

Aww, sorry.  Kindle Lending Library.  

If you pay for Amazon Prime, you get various benefits that we never use -- selected free movie streaming, free access to certain games -- along with free shipping (which I use all the time) and the ability to borrow one KLL book a month.  My frustration is, not many books are actually available on KLL and every month I spend far too much time searching for one book that is... usually not one I'd otherwise choose.  So really, the only benefit I actually use is the free shipping, which mostly just enables my disorganization re: planning ahead and impatience re: getting what I want NOW, neither of which really represent My Better Self, which makes the cost hard to justify! 

But In Our Midst is a story I've never heard before, so I'm looking forward to it!

Love everyone's definition & photos of summer.

This year is passing too quickly. To answer Robin's question of where I stand on my reading at the halfway mark.... I've read 36 books so far, which is a decent number for me but I think the overall page count is quite a bit less than I was at last year. Also, I think I've been slightly less varied in my around-the-world reading this year too. (Haven't checked but that's just my hunch.) I'm not doing any 5/5/5 challenges & don't remember which ones (if any) I've done of the various ones Robin has posted. Mainly, I've been reading for fun & whim, relying on serendipity to sweep me along on my reading travels this year. The only thing I'm specifically tracking is around-the-world reading. This year, instead of tracking it by continents, I'm going by a slightly different grouping:

Africa

Antarctica

Asia

Caribbean

Europe

Latin America

Middle East

North America

Oceania

I think I've met the categories except for Antarctica & Oceania. Definitely plan to get to those in the second half of 2014. And, I may challenge myself to read more of a variety from Latin & South America. Over the past many years, almost every book I've read from that area has been Argentinian. Obviously, I love the Argentinian writers, settings, & styles, but I need to enjoy some more variety from the region, I think. (Of course, the book I have sitting here on my desk, one I bought during my travels, is another Argentinian one, Kamchatka. :laugh: )

One other thing we mentioned a week or two ago is that I've generally read/known very little ahead of time about many of the books I've read, especially this year.

In my own mind, I did make my own category of best cover art & endpapers :lol: From your own reading this year, I would love to hear which book you'd pick for best cover art &/or endpapers. My winner (so far) is Aurorama.

I've been lucky in that I've read quite a few books that I rated as 5-star: The Goldfinch; Sunjata; The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches; The Ways of White Folks; Reaper Man; Boy, Snow, Bird; The Fig Eater; I Served the King of England; and Mink River. I've also read quite a few that I would consider 4-star.

Oh, looking at that list reminds me of the other category I guess I've read -- man candy author match-ups ;) :D (based on that Buzzfeed quiz of author soulmates). That's why I read Langston Hughes' The Ways of White Folks.

Hmmm. Maybe I've participated in more challenges than I realized (even if they exist only in my mind). :laugh:

In the meantime, I'm still flailing around, trying to figure out what I want to read next. I have many to choose from, but few seem appealing right now.

2014 Books Read:

01. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

02. This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper (3 stars).

03. Aiding and Abetting by Muriel Spark (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

04. Sunjata by Bamba Suso & Banna Kanute (5 stars). Around the World – Africa (Gambia & Mali).

05. The Lunatic by Anthony C. Winkler (4 stars). Around the World – Caribbean (Jamaica).

06. The Joke by Milan Kundera (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (Czech Republic).

07. One Hundred Years of Vicissitude by Andrez Bergen (3 grudging stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

08. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (5 stars).

09. The French Connection by Robin Moore (4 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

10. The Way Through Doors by Jesse Ball (4 stars).

11. Eat for Health by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (4 stars).

12. Lotería by Mario Alberto Zambrano (1 star).

13. Fantômas by Pierre Souvestre & Marcel Allain (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (France).

14. The Ways of White Folks by Langston Huges (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

15. Asleep in the Sun by Adolfo Bioy Casares (3 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

16. Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett (5 stars).

17. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi (5 stars).

18. Boxer, Beetle by Ned Beauman (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

19. Blood Oranges by Kathleen Tierney (3 stars).

20. Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen (4 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

21. The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason (3 stars).

22. The Fig Eater by Jody Shields (5 stars). Around the World – Europe (Austria).

23. Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie (4 stars). Around the World – Asia (Pakistan).

24. I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal (5 stars). Around the World – Europe (Czech Republic).

25. My Kind of Girl by Buddhadeva Bose (3 stars). Around the World – Asia (India & Bangladesh).

26. Background to Danger by Eric Ambler (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (Austria).

27. Aurorarama by Jean-Christophe Valtat (3 stars). Best Cover Art.

28. The Magicians by Lev Grossman (2 stars).

29. Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

30. Decline of the English Murder by George Orwell (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

31. The Miracle Cures of Dr. Aira by César Aira (4 stars). Around the World – South America (Argentina).

32. The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil by George Saunders (3 stars).

33. Mink River by Brian Doyle (5 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

34. Ru by Kim Thúy (4 stars). Around the World – North America (Canada) & Asia (Vietnam).

35. The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad (4 stars). Around the World – Asia (Pakistan) & Middle East (Afghanistan & Iran).

36. Strange Bodies by Marcel Theroux (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

OK, I think I missed a week here.  We went to the beach with no wi-fi, my parents, my brother and his family, which was lovely, but for the lice with which my son returned, sigh.   :banghead:    Many many hours of laundry and nit-picking later...

I finally finally slogged my way to the finish line of VS Naipul's Beyond Belief: Islamic Excursions Among the Converted Peoples.  Oy.  What a tremendously frustrating book.  Its thesis is so interesting -- that as the cultures of the countries he examined (Indonesia, Iran, Pakistan and Malaysia) lost something irretrievable in the process of embracing a religion that originated somewhere else -- that over the centuries they came to understand their own cultural narrative as a sort of side story to the history of Islam; that therefore the history of, say, Pakistan is understood to begin not in ancient times with ancient roots and rites but rather at the time of the arrival of Islam.  Which means both that much of great ancient value is denied/forgotten/lost/literally and physically demolished; and also that such Converted Peoples feel chronically lesser-than because they are not and never will be Arab.  Really interesting idea, and he pulls together a lot of information and examples and narratives and, and, and.  But oh.my.word the book is so.... boring.  Really, there's no other word.

Raymond Scheindlin's collation, translation, and essays about The Song of the Distant Dove: Judah Halevi's Pilgrimage, on the other hand, was marvelous.  Halevi grew up in Andalusia in the eleventh century and became a prominent physician, liturgical poet and leader of his Jewish community (early stages of the Reconquista). At the end of his life he decided to make the rather formidable journey to Jerusalem (early stages of the Crusades) in order that he might die there and be buried in sacred soil.  This collection includes both his pilgrimage poems and a series of earlier poems in which Scheindlin traces the development of his religious thinking and the imperative he felt to make the journey.  Both the poems and the essays about the historical context are terrific.

I also read Elie Weisel's Gates of the Forest, which is both a straight narrative of a young man who manages to hide from the Nazis in the waning months of the war; and also an allegory of different the relationships with an apparently absent/indifferent God that the man comes to throughout the four "seasons" into which the book is (brilliantly, imo) structured.  Well worth reading.

Also, for my "war narratives from female perspective" 5/5/5 category I read Wendy Lower's Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields.  Well-enough researched and written, and extremely disheartening for those of us who secretly harbor a subterranean belief that the world would be a kinder and less violent place if women globally had more power.  Sigh.  Also disheartening about the human condition (and far better written) was Solomon Northrup's Twelve Years a Slave (the linked edition, which includes maps and commentaries by Sue Eakin, is well worth its 99 cents, although there are free versions out there).

Our recent discussion about magical realism etc inspired me to dust off Gabriel Garcia Marquez' Of Love and Other Demons, which has been on my shelf for, I dunno, decades maybe, but I'd never actually read... maybe doesn't quite reach the rarefied standard of Cholera/100 Years but still very good.

And my beach read was Helen Bryan's The Sisterhood.  This is the same author as War Brides, which I thought was only so-so, but it was available on KLL which I feel compulsively obliged to use  :001_rolleyes: .  It came in well above expectations -- a Dan Brown sort of plot with a female-character- centered twist, switching off between a convent in Inquisition-era Spain trying to protect young women at risk for various circumstances of birth (illegitimacy, origins in both Jewish and Muslim families, fleeing violent families, etc) and a modern day Robert Jordan-like story of a young art history student tracking down the origins of two old items that are in her possession.  Better than the Amazon write-up; good for the beach.

My daughter and I finished listening to Christopher Paolini's Eragon, and I will be off shortly to the library to take out the next in the series, before I drive her up to camp.  And just last night we finished Megan Whalen Turner's Queen of Attolia, the second in the Thief series... we will doubtless do the last in the trilogy upon her return.

The only book I currently have going is Kasztner's Train: The True Story of an Unknown Hero of the Holocaust, by Anna Porter -- the story of a controversial Hungarian who is either a Wallenberg / Schindler hero, or a collaborationist villain, depending on one's point of view.  I came to it via bibliography-hopping, and am only into the first bit of it, so don't yet know my own point of view, LOL -- will report in due time...  

... and based on VC/Jane's recommendations I just picked up Cone-Gatherers; and on Negin's, Abdu'l-Baha in their Midst.

Happy Belated Birthday Stacia!

I'm almost through C.S. Lewis's Surprised by Joy and I think it may be one that I have to read again later.  The audio doesn't let me ponder when I want to ponder and there are some parts I probably would have skimmed through.

Because of my friends, I have "The Lost World of Genesis One" and another Genesis book to go through.  Once done with those, I think I might take a break and read something light and fairytale like...reading chocolate.  I haven't decided what yet.

It's VBS week for the kiddos so I am exhausted and probably won't get a ton of reading done. I'm at 42 our of 52 for the year, so far.

I know all too well about VBS week!  This year I do not have to be involved, however, because we our taking our youth group on their annual History trip and will only be home a day before VBS begins.  Not to mention my kids are too old now *sniff*  

I don't really have goals for myself, so I can't comment on that. I am challenging myself to read things from home that are double shelved.  :rolleyes:  Way too much double shelving going on here. I need to read and cull (I'm already through my 2 boxes for stocking the Littlest Libraries I've adopted). 

Of course the month I say that I'm spending lots more time at the library for the boys' summer reading program. 

Best Book of the Year **

10 Best Books *

57. The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry~fiction, dysfunctional families, Salem, MA. Dusty Book

56. The Stench of Honolulu by Jack Handey~fiction, absurdist, treasure hunting, humor.

55. Y: the Last Man vol. 1 by Brian Vaughn~graphic novel, speculative fiction, end of the world quest.

54. The Atrocity Files by Charles Stross~Laundry Files series, science fiction, horror.

53. Some Prefer Nettles by Junichiro Tanizaki~classic literature, Japan, dissolution of a marriage. **

52. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley~mystery, child narrator, England.

51. Sous Chef by Michael Gibney~cooking, restaurants, day in the life.

50. Authority by Jeff VanderMeer~Southern Reach trilogy, thriller/speculative fiction, spy organization.

49. Hild by Nicola Griffith~historical fiction, 7th century, Anglo-Saxon.

48. The Raphael Affair by Iain Banks~mystery, art history crimes, series.

47. The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson~non-fiction, epidemiology, maps, Victorian London.

46. The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald~youth fiction, fairy tale, read aloud.

45. Henry and Clara by Thomas Mallon~historical fiction, Civil War, true story.

44. Dead Men Do Tell Tales: The Strange and Fascinating Stories of Forensic Anthropology~non-fiction, memoir, crime.

43. The Grand Tour by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer~fantasy, Victorian, magic, Kate and Cecy letter series.

42. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery~lit fic, French, philosophy, art. *

41. Dead Mountain: the Untold Truth of the Dyatlov Incident by Donnie Eichar~memoir, history, unexplained death, Russia.

40. Sorcery and Cecelia, or the Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer~fantasy, Victorian, magic.

39. Full Service by Will Weaver~fiction, coming of age novel, religion, ‘60s.

38. The Incal: The Epic Conspiracy by Alexandro Jodorowsky~graphic novel, dystopian future, surrealism.

37. Critique of Criminal Reason by Michael Gregorio~mystery, Germany, Immanuel Kant, forensics.

36. Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer~speculative fiction, fantasy, thriller.

35. Five Children and It by E Nesbit~youth fiction, adventure, read-aloud.

34. The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization by Daniel Pinkwater~children’s fiction, absurdity, ‘40s, sacred turtles, LA.   *

33. A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace~essays, criticism, humor.

32. Shark’s Fin and Sichuan Pepper: a Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China by Fuschia Dunlop~memoir, China, food & recipes.

31. Incarnadine by Mary Szybist~poetry, semi-religious.

30. The Liar’s Club by Mary Karr~memoir, east Texas, ‘60s, dysfunctional family.

29. The Summer Book by Tove Jannsen~memoir as fiction, Finland, relationships, grief. **

28. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan~fantasy, dragons, women’s issues, biology.

27. Sweet Land by Will Weaver~short stories, Midwest, farming.  *

26. A Zoo in My Luggage by Gerald Durrell~memoir, animal capturing and keeping, Africa, zoos. Finally Finished/Dusty Book.

25. Bossypants by Tina Fey~memoir, comedy, television, humor.

24. Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi~fiction, Snow White re-imagining, female relationships, self-image, '50s. *

23. Shadow Puppets by OSC~speculative fiction, Bean/Ender series, politics.

22. Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card~speculative fiction, Bean/Ender series, politics.

21. The Language of Baklava by Diana Abu-Jaber~memoir, 2nd generation American immigrants, Jordan, food.

20. Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska~semi-autobiographical fiction, Jewish immigrants, women's issues. Dusty Book *

19. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling~youth fiction, fantasy, wizards. Dusty Book

18. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls~youth fiction, dogs, hunting, read aloud.

17. The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham~fiction, classic, China, male-female roles. Dusty Book 

16. Replay by Ken Grimwood~speculative fiction, time travel, multiple lives.  Finally Finished/Dusty Book

15. Home Cooking: a Writer in the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin~ memoir, cooking, recipes, essays, humorous.

14. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan~fiction, mystery, cults, printing, Google.

13. By Nature's Design by Pat Murphy and William Neill~non-fiction, natural patterns, science, Exploratorium series.

12. The Lives of the Heart by Jane Hirschfield~poetry, relationships, 1990s. 

11. The Titian Committee by Iain Pears~mystery, Venice, Art History, Argyll series.

10. Mort by Terry Pratchett~fantasy, Disc world series, Death.

9. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein~youth fiction, WWII, female pilots and spies.

8. Still Life by Louise Penny~mystery, Inspector Gamanche series, Quebec.

7. The Maid's Version by Daniel Woodrell~literary fiction, mystery, multiple narrators.

6. The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich~fiction, northern plains, WWI/WWII, relationships, Finally Finished!/Dusty Book.

5. Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger~youth fiction, boarding school, spies, steampunk.  

4. Cinnamon and Gunpowder by Eli Brown~fiction, pirates, food, colonialism.

3. The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution by Keith Devlin~non-fiction, Mathematics, 13th century, Indian-Persian numbers.

2. The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli~youth fiction, 13th century, disability, read-aloud.

1. Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki~fiction, story within a story, Japan/Canada, Zen. *

Reading: 

Haven't had a chance to look at most of the posts here and hope to later today. I briefly glanced at some fabulous book suggestions to add to my never-ending wish list :D. 

Aww, sorry.  Kindle Lending Library.  

But In Our Midst is a story I've never heard before, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for clarifying, Pam :). 

Not to change your mind or dictate to you or anything, but you might find that specific book a bit boring. It wasn't for me, since most of the names and history were very familiar to me. I guess what I'm trying to say that as far as Baha'i books go, this one might not be the most ideal one to start with. Then again, you might like some of the history and some of the talks/feel of that time. You could always skip through the parts that may be boring. :)

re Abdu'l Baha in Their Midst:

Haven't had a chance to look at most of the posts here and hope to later today. I briefly glanced at some fabulous book suggestions to add to my never-ending wish list :D. 

Thanks for clarifying, Pam :). 

Not to change your mind or dictate to you or anything, but you might find that specific book a bit boring. It wasn't for me, since most of the names and history were very familiar to me. I guess what I'm trying to say that as far as Baha'i books go, this one might not be the most ideal one to start with. Then again, you might like some of the history and some of the talks/feel of that time. You could always skip through the parts that may be boring. :)

OK.  What do you think would be a good Baha'i book to start with?  Other than the booklet I picked up at the garden in Haifa (which was mostly about the garden, go figure...), I have read literally nothing.  

(So actually maybe In Their Midst won't be boring at all for me, lol!)

I've read 54 books so far this year.   My goal was to read 52 by the end of June, because for some reason I always have a harder time reading in the summer and fall.    I just finished Kingsolver's Flight Behavior.   It was fine, I didn't love it.   It felt very preachy to me, maybe I was in a mood :lol:.   It just felt like she was trying to bring attention to an issue, and her first goal was not to write a good book.  For some reason I enjoyed Prodigal Summer much more.

Who is Thomas Merton?

I learned about Augustinus by/at? Church History, but never heard about Merton.

DH is really touched by the Confessiones, though.

It's interesting you are asking this, because a few days ago I had the same question!   This week I am reading And Then There Were Nuns by Jane Christmas.   It's NF about a woman who is deciding (at age 57) whether to go into a convent or not.   It's an interesting read to me.   I fled organized religion 10 years ago, but still miss aspects of it and I am intrigued by the topic of joining a convent.  One of the things the author read during her journey was Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain.   I had never heard of Thomas Merton before reading this book! 

2 books ago I read A J Jacobs Drop Dead Healthy.   I generally like his books, but the last book I read (The Guinea Pig Diaries) stunk.   I think it was just a collection of articles, it wasn't cohesive.  This book was much better, very interesting tidbits about health and the industry in general.  It just reaffirmed my belief that everyone has to do different things for their body to stay healthy.   There is no one size fits all when it comes to health, IMHO.

I also started Prague Winter by Madeline Albright, but I can't seem to get into it.