Menu

What Food Do You Buy at Costco?

Due to several things happening I need to revamp meals at my house. We have a Costco membership and go monthly to buy staples. In June I am planning to buy more than the usual amount of food. What do you buy? What meals do you make with the food? I am looking for meals primarily. Between a new granola recipe that we all adore and eating fresh fruits and nuts I am set on snacks. 

The only catch: No tomatoes. 

I like the Coleman organic boneless chicken breasts and thighs.  Usually with the breasts we grill them and chop them up for salads or BBQ chicken pizza.  Or I poach them and shred for enchiladas.  The thighs usually go into curry.  I also like the organic ground beef, for either sloppy joes or taco filling or taco salad.  I buy lots of eggs there, we eat those in all kinds of ways.  The frozen mahi mahi is excellent thawed, marinated and grilled.  We marinate in olive oil, white wine, lemon juice, oregano, and parsley.  I also make vats of spaghetti sauce but you said no tomatoes.  And we buy the frozen angus hamburgers that you can just put on the grill frozen.

We buy lots of lettuce there--the 6 pack of romaine hearts as well as a big tub of organic spinach.  Sometimes baby kale for sauteeing and smoothies or baby mixed greens for salads.

I do not like the pork chops, they are way too thick for my taste although dh likes them.

That's about it for meal stuff I buy there.  We tried the giant premade pizza once and it was good but Costco is too far out of our way to do this regularly.

This pay period I bought:

breaded chicken

hatch chile and cheese sausages

turkey meatballs

mashed potatoes

tortillas

hamburger meat

refried beans

strawberries

grapes

butter

coffee creamer

potato chips

tortilla chips

Chinese chicken salad kit

mixed greens

hamburger buns

baked beans

Zhastziki dressing

shredded cheese

Jack cheese (block)

Olive tampanade

Picante sauce

Meals:

Grilled sausages, baked beans, chips, grilled zucchini with Zhastziki dip

Chinese chicken salad

Turkey meatballs with buffalo wing sauce, mashed potatoes, salad with cucumbers, feta, green apple and Zhastziki dip, and toasted sour dough with olive tampanade

Bean and cheese burritos, chips and salsa

Grilled hamburgers, chips and dip, baked beans, veggie tray

Breaded chicken cooked and then covered in Wing sauce (Franks buffalo sauce, butter, and brown sugar) celery sticks and blue cheese dressing (Bob's from Costco)

We usually buy frozen fish, chuck roasts, and pork shoulders from Costco as well. As you can tell we are meat eaters. I usually buy most of my produce from Sprouts or our local grocery store. I haven't had the best of luck with Costco produce.

I buy all of our meats there - they have fresh, quality meat selections. Their individually wrapped chicken breasts are great, as are their whole chickens, pork loins, sausages, etc.

I love their pre-made stuffed peppers, lol.

Their vegetables are second to none, imo. I can buy an entire bag of fresh asparagus (about 3 lbs, I think) for less than $6; a 3 lb bag of fresh broccoli florets for $5, and a HUGE bag of baby carrots for less than $5.

I do NOT buy their fruit, in general, only because they sell them in bulk and we like variety in even our apples - I buy those from Publix, so I can get a few different types of apple, etc.

We love their frozen waffles, ravioli, bulk shredded cheeses, bulk peanut butter, Nutella, and other dry goods.

*Love* the double loaf of gluten free bread - it's only fifty cent more for their double pack (which also has bigger slices!) than Publix sells a single loaf for.

The biggest meal thing I get there is meat. I do buy ground beef elsewhere--local, grassfed at farmer's market. But almost all other meat comes from Costco. Foster farms chicken breasts (packs of two feed our family of 5, often with a little left over), flank steak, tri-tip steaks, pork tenderloin,  Aidell's teriyaki chicken meatballs (that's dinner tonight--with jasmine rice, sliced fresh pineapple, salad). Turkey sausage links for Saturday breakfasts. I buy the french bread loaves in the bakery section and put them in the freezer--they thaw quickly and it's easy to add bread to a dinner. Frozen berries for smoothies. Produce is usually in too large an amount for us, but occasionally I'll get the 6 romaine hearts or a thing of strawberries or grapes.

We get all of our produce there because it lasts for a month without going bad. We don't get any frozen meals($$$). Look into New Seasons Meat Value Packs if you're a meat snob. I'm sorry I can't answer the meal question right now. I'll try to later today.

Meats, as others have said. Wild caught salmon (frozen). Ravioli, eggs, milk, beer and wine. Cheese is cheap but sold in larger quantities.

I always get their berries - particularly the black berries. Avocados. They sell a type of tomato I like - can't remember the name, but they are small and taste nice. We like the kale salad.

I buy everything I can there. I find the best cost savings on:

chicken breasts

basmati rice

olive oil

chocolate chips

nuts (any variety)

yeast

dried fruit

vanilla

tortilla chips

GF items

My favorite yummy stuff:

greek yogurt jalapeno dip

chicken and mushroom ravioli

pumpkin pie--they sell it year round at a great price!

sea salt caramels

multi-grain bread 

Not much.... the veggie burgers and veggie chips, sometimes cheeses if they have something unique.  I don't use Costco as a food source because it's much too far for that on a regular basis. 

I buy the large bag of Basmati rice, slivered almonds, walnuts, raisins, organic spinach and lettuce, Udi's bread, agave nectar, big tub of coconut oil, Don Pablo coffee, carrot juice, organic eggs (2 dozen), frozen berries, organic ground beef, pre made guacamole (packs of 4, they freeze and defrost well), goat cheese, fresh pineapple, bananas, and much more.

We buy the chicken teriyaki meatballs and keep them in the freezer for an emergency meal.  I serve with broccoli and cheese and rice.

We buy the Tzaktziki and the guacamole.  Freeze the guac for fajitas.  Buy the bag of mini peppers, chicken breasts, shredded mexican cheese, and tortillas too for making chicken fajitas. 

We buy frozen uncooked shrimp and make copycat bang bang shrimp and serve it over rice.

My husband and kids like the parmesan crusted frozen tilapia.  

We buy the mixed organic frozen veggies and use them in everything.

We buy the organic ground beef three-pack and use it in meatloaf, hamburgers, kofta, etc.

And of course, I always get a faux Frappucino on the way out. :)

I regularly buy: ground turkey, roasted chicken, romaine lettuce pack, large bag of broccoli florets, large bag of baby carrots, spring mix salad, spinach, frozen organic green beans, frozen tilapia, 2 lb block of sharp cheddar, large bag of shredded mozzarella, 2-pack of ham slices, eggs, milk, 8-pack of canned pineapple, vanilla, seasoned salt.

ETA: Coach's steel-cut oats, and like someone posted below, the logs of chevre cheese, which cost only $1 more for more than 2x as much as you get in the regular grocery. I usually freeze one log.

I always buy my meat and most of my produce there.

I do like their pork chops. I nearly always have some of them in my freezer. A package of pork chops will last us a couple meals because I divide those up then freeze.

Ds loves their rotisserie chickens

Olive oil

Salsa

frozen fruit for smoothies

frozen vegetables

I don't buy apples there because they don't always have the apples I want. I am particular about apples. I am usually the one to eat those so I buy the ones I like.

toilet paper

Udi's bread

Namaste gluten-free flour

eggs

greek yogurt

slivered almonds

dried blueberries

honey-nut Chex cereal

peanut butter

honey

canned black beans

canned refried beans

salsa

guacamole (yes, you can freeze them)

bottled water

San Pellegrino water

beer

various cheeses

gluten-free crackers

frozen fruit bars

peanuts

seaweed snack packs

coffee k-cups

olive oil

coconut oil

vinegar

chocolate chips (they are non-dairy!)

all paper products

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I love Costco!

I buy meat, grassfed butter, olive oil, grapeseed oil, fish, heavy whipping cream, produce, cheese, nuts, vanilla, peanut butter, and probably a lot more I'm forgetting. 

Meals:

When they have wild salmon I get that and bake it in the oven using one of these recipes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-salmon

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/garlicky-broiled-salmon-tomatoes-00000000006891/ (Even if you leave out the tomatoes, the roasted garlic is good.)

I buy the big bunches of asparagus and roast it in the oven with some olive oil (which I buy at Costco) and fresh sea salt and pepper and serve it with the salmon.

The big blocks of parmigiano reggiano we use for everything. I make alfredo sauce very quickly with some grated parm, cream, and butter. I buy the cream at Costco (can't remember the brand name) and the Kerrygold grassfed butter, and it's the best alfredo sauce ever. Keep in mind, we have 7 people here so I can buy these big amounts of things and still use them up before they go bad. We also aren't afraid to eat fat. I use up the cream with this recipe too, which I got from these forums a long time ago and my family loves it: Indian Dal Nirvana You need lots of fresh cilantro with it- yum! And I get the packs of naan from Costco that we eat with this. Another good recipe to use cream in is butter chicken.

My family loves taco rice which I make with ground turkey from Costco.

They usually have big bags of fresh broccoli and I make broccoli cheese soup in my Vitamix with it, I use the Tillamook extra sharp cheddar from Costco in it.

I like to buy the double pack of free range whole chickens and roast them in the oven with some potatoes, onions, and carrots- super easy.

I get the farmed catfish and sprinkle some lemon pepper seasoning on it and cook it in a pan with some butter or oil- another quick and easy meal, I just add roasted veggies.

I make stuffed mushrooms when they have portabella mushrooms. I use this recipe.

I make meatloaf with the ground turkey and I buy their big boxes of Quaker rolled oats. I eat it for breakfast and make baked oatmeal for the kids, and use the oats in my meatloaf.

The frozen mixed veggies are so nice to have on hand because you can just throw them in soups.

Tortillas

King's Hawaiian Rolls (for sliders usually)

Rotisserie Chickens

Pack of pulled breast meat from the rotisserie chickens for salad, chicken salad, quesadillas, chicken pot pie, casseroles, etc.

Ground turkey

Grass fed ground beef (good for meatballs and meat loaf and taco soup, but I don't prefer it for burgers)

Chicken breast and thighs

Pork roasts and tenderloins

Flank steak

Two of our stores carry prime-grade steaks. The top sirloin steaks are really, really good. We usually have some frozen in marinade.

Whole beef tenderloins for special meals (Christmas or New Year's or...)

Cheese--Dubliner and Babybels always in fridge

Smoked salmon

Hummus--Sabra in tubs or individual serving cups

Refrigerated ravioli--the chicken kind is great. We do a ravioli bake with it for an easy meal.

Edamame

Pomegranate arils (in season)

Mini cucumbers

Mini sweet peppers

Brussels sprouts

Organic spinach

Kale salad mix (I don't prefer the dressing, but the salad is awesome and is good sautéed too!)

Berries

Bananas

Mexican Cokes in bottles with real sugar

Frozen organic green beans and broccoli

Frozen wild blueberries

Frozen organic strawberries

Frozen cherries

Boxed organic chicken broth

Kirkland chocolate chips

Stacy's Pita Chips

Pouches of applesauce, etc.

I'm sure I forgot lots... Don't be hesitant to try something. If you don't like it, they will take it back!

Frozen bags of wild caught salmon and cod

Case of Skinny Pop popcorn

Organic frozen broccoli

Organic OJ gallons

Fresh fruit

Organic packaged apples for lunches

Izzi sodas

Mini cucumbers

I forget the name, but they have these dark chocolate covered pomegranate & acai that are so yummy!

We eat Low Carb so picture our meats with a few veggies and that's a meal.

Wine

Grapes

Lettuce

Avocados

Bell Peppers

Bananas

Whole Chickens

Rotisserie Chicken

Hummus

Pita Bread

Toilet Paper

Paper Towels

Finish brand dishwasher tabs

Dawn soap

Foster Farms Chicken Breasts (frozen)

Ground Beef logs

Beef Sirloin Patties

Frozen fruit for smoothies

Bacon

Butter

Yogurt

Pepperjack and Cheddar cheeses

Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend

Coffee K Cups

Marionberry Jam

Progresso Soups

Granola Bars

Vanilla

Olive Oil

Trail Mix

Sandwich Bread

I just joined and have only been one time so my list is short:

Peet's Gaia coffee

log of chevre

pre-cooked polenta

seaweed snacks

whole chickens

boneless short ribs (haven't made these yet)

organic trail mix

roasted cashews (best and freshest I've ever had)

Dubliner cheese

Peanuts

Almonds

EVOO

frozen spinach raviolis

Frozen beans and rice burritos

Meats and fish

Tuna

Berries

Spinach (super cheap organic!)

Milk

Cereal

Chips and salsa

Muenster cheese

Block cheddar

Bread

And lots more - we love costco!

Their frozen organic veggies (corn, beans, peas, etc) are only about a dollar more than if you bought the bags of non-organic elsewhere.  Not a dollar a pound more, but only a dollar more total. 

I buy our eggs, milk, butter, and cheese from Costco.  The milk I separate into half gallons and freeze them.  I find we waste much less if I only put out a half gallon at a time.

Minced garlic, tuna fish, tortillas, and salsa I haven't found anywhere cheaper.

ETA: I forgot about Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar!

Oh, how I miss Costco!

Eggs

Milk

Apples

Bananas

lettuce

carrots

spinach

oranges

onions

tomatoes

Frozen Strawberries

Frozen Pineapple

Frozen Mixed Fruit

Meat (Steak in bulk...we cut it ourselves), hamburger, whole chickens, pork shoulder, large roasts (we cut these down for stew, chili, and other recipes)

eggs

cream

butter

plain Greek yogurt (when I didn't have time to make my own)

cleaning wipes

Laundry Detergent 

Dishwasher Detergent

Paper plates, napkins, plastic ware

paper towels

toilet paper

cream cheese 

copy paper

That's the bulk of what I bought at Costco regularly...we didn't buy processed foods very often

I shop there first twice a month for my big trips--meats, dairy, produce, paper products and I just fill in with either the commissary or Wal-Mart for smaller needed items or things they don't carry.   It's only 10 minutes from my house and we get our pizzas there on Friday night and restock produce for the coming week as well.    I seriously love the quality of Costco products.