Menu

Intermittent fasting for weight loss?? Let's discuss.

Moxie

My computer refuses to link to the article.  Sorry.  Go to www.nerdfitness.com and click on blog and then, in the popular posts section at the right, click on "beginner's guide to intermittent fasting".

So, I posted awhile back that I'm on a super freaking annoying plateau.  I have 6-10 pounds to lose.  It is all sitting in the stomach area.  I pitched my scale awhile back (bitch ruined my day one too many times!!) but I can tell by the mirror that I haven't lost anything.

I have PCOS, I take 1500 mg? of metformin a day, I've been pretty hard core low-carb for about a month (medium core low-carb for 4 years), I've given up most cardio for now and have focused on strength training.  I can tell that I'm getting stronger which is good but these rolls on my gut are not shrinking at all.  I've had 5 kids so I know I'll never have a flat belly but I have to believe I can look better than this.

Thoughts on intermittent fasting??  I kind of want to try it but I'm terrified of somehow messing up my insulin issues even more.  I'll admit that I don't fully understand the insulin issues that I have despite lots of reading on the subject. 

I know some ladies have done the 5:2 diet. I have experimented with IF. It's pretty easy for me to stop eating at 7pm and not eat again until 11or 12 at lunch the next day. I've not pushed much past that. It didn't seem to make much difference for me but I'm a carb eating runner and do Kettlebell a couple times/week. You might search 5:2 on here and see what comes up.

I know you said you are on low-carb, so please forgive me if I misunderstand this.

Have you quit *all* wheat?  

That one thing has helped at least 4 of my friends drop those last "belly" pounds.  It's localized and noticeable.  

My dh dropped about 10 pounds when he stopped dairy, but 20 when he stopped wheat and put dairy back in.  He's at a weight slightly less than when we married 33 years ago.  No other changes, including in exercise.  

I tried 5:2 for about a month and it made me horribly hangry (hungry + angry) by the end of my fasting day, plus I ate like a garbage disposal the next day. I know the research (or some of it) says that people don't consume the extra calories the following day, but I definitely did. 

I think my fasting days were 500 calories? So I was having broth and tea and an egg and vegetables, but it was very unpleasant.

I know you said you are on low-carb, so please forgive me if I misunderstand this.

Have you quit *all* wheat?

That one thing has helped at least 4 of my friends drop those last "belly" pounds. It's localized and noticeable.

My dh dropped about 10 pounds when he stopped dairy, but 20 when he stopped wheat and put dairy back in. He's at a weight slightly less than when we married 33 years ago. No other changes, including in exercise.

Typical day--

3 eggs with some combo of cheese, meat, peppers onions for breakfast

A bag of frozen veggies or salad with some protein for lunch

Small protein, small veggies for dinner.

If the kids are having chips or candy I might sneak one bite.

I snack on cheese and almonds.

I don't cheat often.

Typical day--

3 eggs with some combo of cheese, meat, peppers onions for breakfast

A bag of frozen veggies or salad with some protein for lunch

Small protein, small veggies for dinner.

If the kids are having chips or candy I might sneak one bite.

I snack on cheese and almonds.

I don't cheat often.

I don't know how much you eat, but the calories from the cheese and almonds can really sneak up on you!

Do you drink a lot of high-calorie beverages?

You could try cutting out the cheese and replacing that with something like celery with a bit of cream cheese.

Cheese has a ton of calories.

(I know ....I know...but that still seems like a better alternative to starving yourself.)

Yeah, and a serving of cheese is usually something like a one-inch cube.

Who eats only one little cube?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/a-bad-combination-for-women-intermittent-fasting-and-paleo/

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

I love the idea, but as a woman the research does not support it being as healthy as for men.  Hopefully research will turn something up soon.  A good relevant article to read also: 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OP_AHH_20140523&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=2

Also, it appears that shorter interval training with rests in between days is more efficient at fat burning.  So I would actually work on interval training, strength, rest, sleep, and watching calories.  I know it seems dumb, but that article above doesn't really count for small amounts of weight like you describe.  If you have too many calories in and too much fat going in, you can still plateau or gain weight.  I've been tracking and I have the same basic issues (but I'm hypoglycemic, not PCOS) and I've noticed I eat a TON of fat.  Probably more than even most Paleo folks would agree with.  

BTW, I love NerdFitness.  Are you in the community?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/a-bad-combination-for-women-intermittent-fasting-and-paleo/

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

I love the idea, but as a woman the research does not support it being as healthy as for men. Hopefully research will turn something up soon. A good relevant article to read also:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OP_AHH_20140523&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=2

Also, it appears that shorter interval training with rests in between days is more efficient at fat burning. So I would actually work on interval training, strength, rest, sleep, and watching calories. I know it seems dumb, but that article above doesn't really count for small amounts of weight like you describe. If you have too many calories in and too much fat going in, you can still plateau or gain weight. I've been tracking and I have the same basic issues (but I'm hypoglycemic, not PCOS) and I've noticed I eat a TON of fat. Probably more than even most Paleo folks would agree with.

BTW, I love NerdFitness. Are you in the community?

But then you read the comments on the NF article and there are lots of women who were very successful. Idk. I'm to the point that I need to do something different; fasting, going off low carb for a week, idk.

No, I'm not on their forums. I've just been reading the articles so far.

My computer refuses to link to the article.  Sorry.  Go to www.nerdfitness.com and click on blog and then, in the popular posts section at the right, click on "beginner's guide to intermittent fasting".

So, I posted awhile back that I'm on a super freaking annoying plateau.  I have 6-10 pounds to lose.  It is all sitting in the stomach area.  I pitched my scale awhile back (bitch ruined my day one too many times!!) but I can tell by the mirror that I haven't lost anything.

I have PCOS, I take 1500 mg? of metformin a day, I've been pretty hard core low-carb for about a month (medium core low-carb for 4 years), I've given up most cardio for now and have focused on strength training.  I can tell that I'm getting stronger which is good but these rolls on my gut are not shrinking at all.  I've had 5 kids so I know I'll never have a flat belly but I have to believe I can look better than this.

Thoughts on intermittent fasting??  I kind of want to try it but I'm terrified of somehow messing up my insulin issues even more.  I'll admit that I don't fully understand the insulin issues that I have despite lots of reading on the subject. 

I think that is your answer right there. You should talk to an actual nutritionist who has some understanding of insulin issues before trying anything like 5:2

I tried the 5:2 for about 6 weeks. Remember, the entire point of 5:2 is that on the non-fasting days you can eat what ever type of food you want, but NOT as much as you want. In other words, you still have to engage in portion control on the non-fasting days.  It's intermittent high intensity dieting. Every day you control portions, but some days it is controlled more than others. I personally found that on the day after a fasting day I was so hungry that I found it difficult to control portions. I also started to use it as an excuse to overeat on non-fasting days. I would tell myself that I could just 'make up for it' by fasting the next day. I decided that wasn't mentally healthy for me and so I stopped. I just reduced my daily calorie allotment overall and the weight started to shift.

I followed the 5:2 diet for two weeks, sticking with 500-550 calories on my "fast" days and 1300-1500 calories on the other days. I lost one pound. That was disappointing I.

I am almost 48 (cycles have lengthened from 29 days to 42-56 days in the past year). Most women who have success with intermittent fasting are younger than me.

I think that is your answer right there. You should talk to an actual nutritionist who has some understanding of insulin issues before trying anything like 5:2

I tried the 5:2 for about 6 weeks. Remember, the entire point of 5:2 is that on the non-fasting days you can eat what ever type of food you want, but NOT as much as you want. In other words, you still have to engage in portion control on the non-fasting days. It's intermittent high intensity dieting. Every day you control portions, but some days it is controlled more than others. I personally found that on the day after a fasting day I was so hungry that I found it difficult to control portions. I also started to use it as an excuse to overeat on non-fasting days. I would tell myself that I could just 'make up for it' by fasting the next day. I decided that wasn't mentally healthy for me and so I stopped. I just reduced my daily calorie allotment overall and the weight started to shift.

See, I have a friend who is a nutritionist. Her advice is pretty old school, IMO (lots of low fat, low calories frankenfood). And she's young so it makes me not trust nutritionists.

I've done some IF previously, not necessarily to lose weight (as I didn't need to at that time) but just to experiment and I felt ok, however knowing what I know now I will not be doing it again for sure. I think you are more likely to do harm than help yourself with IF'ing. 

I would wonder:

- do you still have some intolerances, likely culprits being dairy or eggs

- underlying thyroid issues (or something else- as quite often such things do not occur alone)

-are you eating too little

Isagenix uses a type of IF. You might look at their program. They have 9 day and 30 day plans. You could see if it works for you.

I also have PCOS. When you see your endocrinologist, are you still insulin resistant on Metformin at 1500 mg? Meaning, do you have high fasting insulin? What do your insulin levels look like with a 2 hour glucose tolerance test? That would be my first area of investigation because you may need to bump up for your dose of Metformin (max is 2400 mg). You will have a much more difficult time losing weight if your insulin levels are still high. I would also have my thyroid checked to be sure it is functioning normally. 

See, I have a friend who is a nutritionist. Her advice is pretty old school, IMO (lots of low fat, low calories frankenfood). And she's young so it makes me not trust nutritionists.

Let me get this straight, you know one young nutritionist so you don't trust all nutritionists ? That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't have any knowledge/experience with PCOS, so my comments are solely about the intermittent fasting approach.  I've been doing this in some ways for a couple of years (specifically during our longer Lent type fasts), and since March more regularly. I've lost 10-12 pounds.  For me, this is a lifestyle -- I feel best when I spend a couple of days a week eating very little and eating just enough on the non-fasting days.  I still have 15-20 pounds to go and plan to keep eating this way.  The information I've read wholeheartedly supports this approach and its results (both in weight loss and in handling other health issues).  There was something in the news in the last week about how eating two meals a day (which is what I do also) is better for helping diabetics than eating the same number of calories in several meals over the course of the day. 

I find it interesting that the church has done the "5:2 diet" since the beginning. 

I tried the 5:2 for about 6 weeks. Remember, the entire point of 5:2 is that on the non-fasting days you can eat what ever type of food you want, but NOT as much as you want. In other words, you still have to engage in portion control on the non-fasting days.  It's intermittent high intensity dieting. Every day you control portions, but some days it is controlled more than others. 

Not in the original version.  Description here.  Normal eating on non-fast days.  That's what I do.

L

Normal eating. I assumed that to mean eating what is the appropriate number of calories for your sex/build/lifestyle etc. I didn't take it to mean keep on overeating. I did it earlier this year for a few weeks. I found it harder than I thought it would be. I was doing the 350 calories between 8pm to 8pm (well more like 450) but I was just too hungry when I was cooking for the kids. I dropped it until I got the book from the library (but it is still on reserve I think). it seems really just a way of reducing overall calories.

Normal eating. I assumed that to mean eating what is the appropriate number of calories for your sex/build/lifestyle etc. I didn't take it to mean keep on overeating. I did it earlier this year for a few weeks. I found it harder than I thought it would be. I was doing the 350 calories between 8pm to 8pm (well more like 450) but I was just too hungry when I was cooking for the kids. I dropped it until I got the book from the library (but it is still on reserve I think). it seems really just a way of reducing overall calories.

The original study (cited in the documentary) had unlimited eating on the non-fast days.  I don't know how well designed that study was, however.

I wasn't eating enormously but I was putting on a typical couple of pounds a year as I moved through middle age.  I did find that, the longer I did the 5:2, the less I was likely to over-eat on other days.  It just didn't feel 'right'.

L

I did the 5:2 for a couple months and lost 15 pounds. I was very close to my goal, but I just could not stick with it any longer. I have since gained back half of that. I am like you - fat in the belly/waist area that just won't budge. Got a great butt though since doing regular weight training.  :)

Isagenix uses a type of IF. You might look at their program. They have 9 day and 30 day plans. You could see if it works for you.

I also have PCOS. When you see your endocrinologist, are you still insulin resistant on Metformin at 1500 mg? Meaning, do you have high fasting insulin? What do your insulin levels look like with a 2 hour glucose tolerance test? That would be my first area of investigation because you may need to bump up for your dose of Metformin (max is 2400 mg). You will have a much more difficult time losing weight if your insulin levels are still high. I would also have my thyroid checked to be sure it is functioning normally. 

I was wondering about this aspect as well? 

Also, the thryoid and adrenal forums have a decent amount of women that were harmed by IF"ing. I think it could be ok for some but if you have a propensity to some type of metabolic issue you are playing with fire.

You mentioned that you've given up your cardio activity. Any specific reason for that? I would think that it's much more important to maintain healthy heart and lungs than stress about 6 pounds. Strength training is excellent, and try adding in aerobic training of moderate to high intensity (weight-baring is best for maintaining bone density).

If you can maintain a combination of active lifestyle and healthy eating, you should be able to keep your weight stable for years without needing to follow any fasting-type diets. I like to think REALLY long-term and overall health when looking at healthy weight. I look at:

- What kind of diet and physical activity can you sustain for 10+ years,

- what is the state of your heart, lungs, bones and muscles,

- what are your stress levels.

- Influence of other health factors and medication

I tried 5:2 for about a month and it made me horribly hangry (hungry + angry) by the end of my fasting day, plus I ate like a garbage disposal the next day. I know the research (or some of it) says that people don't consume the extra calories the following day, but I definitely did. 

It may not really be germaine to this discussion, but I wanted to mention that it is a common aspect of Ramadan fasting that people gain weight.  Common.  I think it is really easy for most people to justify overeating/eating junk food after a fast.  And maybe it isn't all a mental thing, but your body strongly compelling you.  I also personally find it more physically draining overall the older I get -- if I had a very intense exercise routine that might suffer.

It is actually discussed a lot in the period leading up to Ramadan, how to try and keep a healthy lifestyle balance while fasting.

Sorry for butting in.

Not in the original version.  Description here.  Normal eating on non-fast days.  That's what I do.

L

When I started investigating 5:2 and when I was actively following the plan I spent a great deal of time reading the forums on that site.  I didn't post but I read quite a bit. The phrase "remember, it's eat whatever you like, but not as much as you like' in regards to non-fasting days was repeated several times in response to people posting that they had been following the plan for quite some time but weren't losing weight. The general response was that the person must be overeating on non-fasting days. Or people would comment that not only were they fasting 2 days, but eating less on non-fasting days and that is what made the weight go down. Or someone would say that it wasn't until they started counting calories on their non-fasting days as well as fasting ones that the weight started to go.

So, while the authors of the book may be proposing 5 days as 'eat all you like' that doesn't seem to be the reality for quite a lot of people who are invested enough to be a part of an online community dedicated to their plan.  That is when I started making the correlation to high intensity intermittent exercise.

Studies have shown (barf, I hate that phrase!) that even registered dieticians who know they are taking part in a study about recording food in a journal will underestimate their caloric intake by about 20%. That is with weighing and measuring of food. We all do it. We make mistakes, we round down, we forget to add in those little bites of things, or it is too small to really calculate. How many calories are in the 5 cheerios I pinched from of my son's bowl this morning? A spoonful of macaroni and cheese? And don't forget that nutritional information on packages isn't foolproof, etc. But it adds up to about 20% over the course of the day. Once I figured out what my supposed calorie allotment would be I subtracted 20% off the top and that is when I started losing weight steadily.

I think for some people the 5:2 is like subtracting that 20% from their overall diet in two small doses.

So, while the authors of the book may be proposing 5 days as 'eat all you like' that doesn't seem to be the reality for quite a lot of people who are invested enough to be a part of an online community dedicated to their plan.  

I think it's partly a question of terminology.  To me, 'eat normally' is not the same as 'eat all you like'.  I agree that eating an awful lot on five days and fasting two days would not lead to weight loss.  I had not thought of eating lots to be 'normal' in population terms, but given the shape we are all in, that's probably outdated.  

So if the individual's 'normal' is notably excessive eating, then I'm sure you are right that some kind of calorie control every day would be necessary.  I don't think that I would have had the will power to be so disciplined every day, however.  Indeed, I'm finding it hard now that I have been put onto a very low fat diet (for medical reasons) and am eating unlimited calories but low fat five days and fasting two days.  I'm not satisfied enough by my low fat diet to allow me to cope easily with the fasts.  I'm getting there, but it's been harder.

L

I am planning on getting my thyroid tested.

The only time my blood sugar has been tested is while I was pregnant. My GP looked at my list of symptoms 5 years ago along with family history and told me I have PCOS. The metformin helped regulate my cycles, helped me lose 30 pounds and help me get pregnant with my 4yo.

I wonder if I could have gotten a bad batch of medicine?? All of a sudden, it doesn't seem to be working. Probably just my screwed up body. Ugg.

I'm on a plateau myself BUT because I strength train, I've noticed my belly going away.  I started doing CrossFit three months ago and GAINED.  I was really PO'd.  However, my clothes are fitting way better and that nasty hangy belly is disappearing.  I'm now trying to just focus on strength and my typical low carb lifestyle.  I still keep an eye on the scale because I'm just obsessive like that but I'm happy with what's happening to my body.  Maybe you can try this instead of fasting?

The closer I am to my goal weight, the slower the pounds come off. Plus, menopause is not a friend.  :glare:

I found that it took 5 months to lose the last 3 pounds. Five months. FIVE MONTHS! And, if I let up a bit for a couple of days in a row, my weight jumps right back up. SO annoying. I weigh myself several times a week, and judge by clothing as well. I wasn't this careful the last time I dropped a lot of weight and it snuck back up quickly and stealthily.

All this to say, maybe IF will work for you, but maybe it's just a long, slow process to lose those last pounds. Then, constant vigilance to maintain.

I followed this intermittent fasting diet for a few months to FINALLY lost my baby weight after "baby" turned 4--I lost about 15 lbs over a few months and it was the easiest plan I had ever tried to follow:

http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

His web page seems to be too focused on supplements now, but the gist was to eat 500-600 calories every other day, "normal" on the alternate days.  The book I bought was called "The Alternate Day Diet",by the same guy.

On my "down days", i usually had protein shakes stuffed with spinach or kale and a half banana for lunch and dinner, lots of hot tea and coffee during the mornings and afternoons, and some kind of egg, a big salad or steamed veggies for dinner, and a little plain yogurt for dessert.

I dont' have any real health issues, so I can't promise it is "safe" for the things you are dealing with. But once I got past the first week or so, the "down" days didn't really bother me at all, esp knowing that I could eat "the things I was missing" the next day--

Betsy

I'm on a plateau myself BUT because I strength train, I've noticed my belly going away. I started doing CrossFit three months ago and GAINED. I was really PO'd. However, my clothes are fitting way better and that nasty hangy belly is disappearing. I'm now trying to just focus on strength and my typical low carb lifestyle. I still keep an eye on the scale because I'm just obsessive like that but I'm happy with what's happening to my body. Maybe you can try this instead of fasting?

This is sort of what I've been doing. I'm trying to think long term hence my focus on strength.

My advice to you--throw out that scale!! Seriously! I know I am not at my goal but I no longer have that annoying number hanging around my neck all day.

Sigh.  I did this, threw out the scale......guess what?  The following year at the doctor's office I was 20 pounds heavier.

You have to have a good way to monitor.  My pants still fit.  They were tight, so I thought I had gained maybe 5.  Nope, 20.

I need that scale.

Dawn

This is sort of what I've been doing. I'm trying to think long term hence my focus on strength.

My advice to you--throw out that scale!! Seriously! I know I am not at my goal but I no longer have that annoying number hanging around my neck all day.

I was wondering about this aspect as well? 

Also, the thryoid and adrenal forums have a decent amount of women that were harmed by IF"ing. I think it could be ok for some but if you have a propensity to some type of metabolic issue you are playing with fire.

This would be my main concern.  Every body is different and the science shows it's less helpful for women, so I might give it a try but be really careful.

I followed this intermittent fasting diet for a few months to FINALLY lost my baby weight after "baby" turned 4--I lost about 15 lbs over a few months and it was the easiest plan I had ever tried to follow:

http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

His web page seems to be too focused on supplements now, but the gist was to eat 500-600 calories every other day, "normal" on the alternate days.  The book I bought was called "The Alternate Day Diet",by the same guy.

On my "down days", i usually had protein shakes stuffed with spinach or kale and a half banana for lunch and dinner, lots of hot tea and coffee during the mornings and afternoons, and some kind of egg, a big salad or steamed veggies for dinner, and a little plain yogurt for dessert.

I dont' have any real health issues, so I can't promise it is "safe" for the things you are dealing with. But once I got past the first week or so, the "down" days didn't really bother me at all, esp knowing that I could eat "the things I was missing" the next day--

Betsy

I like your plan.  I've noticed a lot of meals on 5:2 diaries I've seen have been junk food low calorie foods as their meals and I think if you focus on nutrient dense foods it would make a difference. 

Sigh.  I did this, threw out the scale......guess what?  The following year at the doctor's office I was 20 pounds heavier.

You have to have a good way to monitor.  My pants still fit.  They were tight, so I thought I had gained maybe 5.  Nope, 20.

I need that scale.

Dawn

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't throw out the scale.  sigh...

Fasting wouldn't work for me.  I would just get cranky and hungry and eat more next time I could eat.

That definitely happened to me at first, but after awhile I got used to it and my body/psyche did, too.  I saw how good I felt if I did this, and then didn't overeat on non-fasting days.  I found a new strength in it.  I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I do think there's an adjustment time after which one might learn that they're actually able to handle it given some time. 

I followed the 5:2 diet for two weeks, sticking with 500-550 calories on my "fast" days and 1300-1500 calories on the other days. I lost one pound. That was disappointing I.

I am almost 48 (cycles have lengthened from 29 days to 42-56 days in the past year). Most women who have success with intermittent fasting are younger than me.

I turn 48 next month & I've been doing intermittent fasting for over a year. I have lost almost 50 lbs & dropped from a size 16 jeans to a size 4 jeans. I stick to the allowed 500 cal or less on my fasting days & never eat carb or sugar on fasting days. On my non - fasting days I eat what I want & don't restrict calories, but have found that I naturally want less. I have taken a break from fasting as I am in the States on holiday. I plan to return to intermittent fasting when I return home as it works for me.

I turn 48 next month & I've been doing intermittent fasting for over a year. I have lost almost 50 lbs & dropped from a size 16 jeans to a size 4 jeans. I stick to the allowed 500 cal or less on my fasting days & never eat carb or sugar on fasting days. On my non - fasting days I eat what I don't restrict calories, but have found that I naturally want less. I have taken a break from fasting as I am in the States on holiday. I plan to return to intermittent fasting when I return home as it works for me.

That's wonderful.  Can you give us a little glimpse into the sorts of foods you eat on your fasting days?

Fasting days for me = hot water with a slice of lemon all day + a huge dinner salad (lettuce, carrots, bell pepper, tomato, onion, a couple hard - boiled eggs, some lean meat, a tny bit if grated cheese, & a drizzle of dressing. I am well satisfied after eating this.

I didn't start out fasting until my evening meal, but gradually worked toward that over a couple months. I have done a couple water only fasts, but not intentionally.

The great thing about intermittent fasting is that you never feel deprived as you can have what you crave "tomorrow."

I am planning on getting my thyroid tested.

The only time my blood sugar has been tested is while I was pregnant. My GP looked at my list of symptoms 5 years ago along with family history and told me I have PCOS. The metformin helped regulate my cycles, helped me lose 30 pounds and help me get pregnant with my 4yo.

I wonder if I could have gotten a bad batch of medicine?? All of a sudden, it doesn't seem to be working. Probably just my screwed up body. Ugg.

Testing your blood sugar won't tell you anything about PCOS. It will tell you if you are a diabetic or pre-diabetic. In order to understand what is going on with PCOS, you need to find out what your insulin levels are doing -- both fasting and with a GTT. A competent endo will also run LH/FSH, testosterone, DHEAS, prolactin, lipids, and a thyroid panel. If you haven't seen an endo with experience treating PCOS, and your last bloodwork was run 5 years ago by a GP, you really have no idea what is going on with your body hormonally, which could very easily be the primary reason for the struggle.

When you say the medicine isn't working, what do you mean? Aside from weight gain/difficulty losing weight, other symptoms of PCOS would be long/irregular cycles, hirsuitism, acne, depression/mood issues, and thinning hair. Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?