Menu

Secular homeschooling conference. Finally!

Thank you for sharing this!  I am a Christian, and I like teaching Bible as a subject in our homeschool, but we are homeschooling first and foremost for academic reasons.  We could just as easily teach Bible "afterschool" if the public school met our daughter's needs.  It bothered me so much that most of the speakers and vendors were of a very specific religious bent at the local book fair I attended recently.  Honestly, how many "character building" curriculums could there be?  My friend and I were just talking about what we really needed to go to was a secular convention.

Thanks again!

I saw this posted elsewhere and am curious.  Will the bigger convention also be in Atlanta?  The upcoming one is not big enough for me to aim to go to from so far, but I might could plan my trip to see my Georgia relatives to coincide with the spring conference if it's big and exciting enough.

I saw this posted elsewhere and am curious.  Will the bigger convention also be in Atlanta?  The upcoming one is not big enough for me to aim to go to from so far, but I might could plan my trip to see my Georgia relatives to coincide with the spring conference if it's big and exciting enough.

I'm curious about those things as well. I'm willing to travel for a big and exciting convention, especially if it is in a city to which I can get a direct flight. I'm not holding my breath about one happening within driving distance for me. 

Well, I don't think I would have picked Georgia for the first one myself, but clearly there must be some level of community there.  If I didn't have to go through Atlanta once a year or so anyway, I don't think I'd consider going at all, but since I do...

Looking at the website, it seems like this group has an agenda that goes beyond just education. Why, oh why, does HSing have a tendancy to pit families against each other on the basis of religious vs. anti-religious? Am I too naive to think that there can be a truly inclusive group that is neither pro-religion nor anti-religion but actually neutral?

Looking at the website, it seems like this group has an agenda that goes beyond just education. Why, oh why, does HSing have a tendancy to pit families against each other on the basis of religious vs. anti-religious? Am I too naive to think that there can be a truly inclusive group that is neither pro-religion nor anti-religion but actually neutral?

Being inclusive is not their goal. Being secular is their goal. There is a great blog post about it on the Inappropriate Homeschooler blog. I would post the link if I was on my computer.

If there is any agenda, it is finally having a safe place for families who are sick of always having to second guess everything in their "inclusive" homeschooling groups. I was invited to a "secular" science class taught by a homeschooling mom. In her mind, it was secular because they weren't

going to discuss creation OR evolution (even if it came up). That's what some of us are trying to get away from.

Some of us Iive in communities where we are the minority. It's nice to have an outlet with like-minded homeschoolers. Just like Christian homeschoolers have.

That is what I am looking for too. No skin off my nose if this isn't it, but it is what I dream of.

Would you please tell what gave you the impression that this organization and this event are anti-religious?

I thought the website clearly stated how secularism is about protecting the freedom of all religions and equal treatment

of all people.  

Well, personally, I think this...

N.A.S.H champions human rights above discriminatory religious demands. It upholds equality laws that protect women, LGBT people, and minorities. These equality laws ensure that non-believers have the same rights as those who identify with a religious or philosophical belief.

...is just more out of the scope of plain ol' secular homedchooling than I would have imagined. The first part of this quote is...confusing? But it rings ugly to me. The second is oddly put, as I have to assume they don't mean that women, LGBT, and minorities are, as groups, non-believers. You can be gay and Christian. You can be secular and not support gay rights. (Not me, for the record, but I know people that describes.) I don't know. It still feels like there is a box to get in.

Would you please tell what gave you the impression that this organization and this event are anti-religious?

I thought the website clearly stated how secularism is about protecting the freedom of all religions and equal treatment

of all people.

Yes, I thought that part was nice. I think in the end it got so wordy, it was tripping over its own stated philosophy.

Guest inoubliable

Well, personally, I think this...

...is just more out of the scope of plain ol' secular homedchooling than I would have imagined. The first part of this quote is...confusing? But it rings ugly to me. The second is oddly put, as I have to assume they don't mean that women, LGBT, and minorities are, as groups, non-believers. You can be gay and Christian. You can be secular and not support gay rights. (Not me, for the record, but I know people that describes). I don't know. It still feels like there is a box to get in.

Lemme help. That first part? Inclusivity. That's all. Just more verbiage on how inclusive they aim to be. Everyone here knows, despite what some will deny, that most religions have *some* group that they exclude. For whatever reason. This group appears to have wanted to make sure people knew they were inclusive to all minorities, despite what any religion would discriminate against for whatever reason. That second part? Looks like someone really wanted to drive that point home. 

Not an ugly thing. What's ugly is discrimination. 

Some of us Iive in communities where we are the minority. It's nice to have an outlet with like-minded homeschoolers. Just like Christian homeschoolers have.

You mean like SOME Christian HSers have. The Christians of the "correct" flavor. I'm sick of all the B.S. pitting one subset of HSers against another. I use mostly secular materials and I want a confererence that is neither fundamentalist Protestant nor anti-religion nor "unschooling". I want a conference that is actually about ACADEMICS and nothing else.

I have appreciated very much how the VAHomeschoolers, at their conference, manage to get in their messages of inclusivity and tolerance at every turn.  And I can only presume that's a part of why someone as awesome as SWB would speak at their conference.  I guess I was hoping this group would be like that on a national level.

I have appreciated very much how the VAHomeschoolers, at their conference, manage to get in their messages of inclusivity and tolerance at every turn.  And I can only presume that's a part of why someone as awesome as SWB would speak at their conference.  I guess I was hoping this group would be like that on a national level.

Ah, to be anywhere near the northeast! 

Well my "theory" for this is that Christian homeschoolers have something in common no matter what their homeschooling style is.  Their religion.  Secular homeschoolers are all over the place.  Different religions.  Different styles.  Etc. 

At least that has been my experience with homeschool groups (and I've only been in secular ones).  I often find I don't have much in common with people.  Maybe I have in common that we are atheists, but our homeschooling styles are so radically different that it's a problem. 

But the same is true amongst Christians, too.  

Compare LDS to Catholic for example.  Or evangelicals who teach evolution.  

All of the above are regularly told that they're not really Christians, btw...

All of that said, though, even conferences for school teachers will usually have other "stuff."  Organization, family, budgeting, etc. all make frequent appearances at teacher conventions, too.  

These are really good points about how different secular homeschoolers are from each other...  But many Christian homeschoolers, even those choosing homeschooling at least in part for religious reasons, don't all agree - just look at the split between the GHC folks and that new conference that I forget the name of.  And I can still envision a big tent secular/inclusive conference that could potentially please a lot of people.  It could have speakers coming from a wide range of views - unschoolers to classical types - and a vendor hall that's full of the growing number of secular curricula makers.  But, yeah, I could see that a secular group could easily end up becoming whatever the original organizers have as "their" style.  Or could end up having trouble garnering a large enough audience/membership because they're so factionalized between different groups with different needs.  I mean, the speakers that the secular classical people want to see at a conference are not the same people as the secular unschoolers want to see.

That opening statement just reads as awkward more than anything else to me, btw.  Their whole web design (and variety of sites - one for the conference, a completely different one for the group, another one that's just a blog with bad graphics... streamline, streamline!) is a huge turnoff at this stage, honestly.  But I'm trying to graciously assume they're figuring it all out.

Well I think it looks pretty good for what seems like a pretty amateur operation.  I don't think I could do better!

I'm not willing to travel to Georgia for it though. 

I've only been to the one mini conference in PA (with SWB and MCT).  That was so awesome.  First time I felt like I was being taken seriously.

Yeah, I'm not saying I could either.  It took me a week to figure out enough rss to change the color scheme on my blog for goodness sake.

You mean like SOME Christian HSers have. The Christians of the "correct" flavor. I'm sick of all the B.S. pitting one subset of HSers against another. I use mostly secular materials and I want a confererence that is neither fundamentalist Protestant nor anti-religion nor "unschooling". I want a conference that is actually about ACADEMICS and nothing else.

I am trying to do that with my little Catholic convention. It isn't as easy as you might think. o_0

I told my keynote speaker (Karen Edmisten) that I didn't care what she talked about except that I wanted it to be about homeschooling. Not courtship, not marriage, not...whatever...even though those might be worthy of discussion, because this is a *homeschooling* convention. She was good with that (I can hardly wait to hear her and sit in the same room with her). Anyway, most workshop presenters in today's homeschool world have written books or curricular materials, and so their workshops are really all about them, even if they don't mention their product by name. Trying to find people to speak who don't also sell something is a chore, and I want workshops presented by people who have nothing to gain.

Wow.  This is so sad.  You should come to my town.  Today, we had the bible thumpers and the heathens all happily chatting at swimming lessons.

Ruth in NZ

It's so nice to have a conference focused on your needs! I dream of one with only my favorite vendors - a Morgan conference, ha. I loved the Royal Fireworks Press tiny conference in PA last year. All about teaching gifted kids at home - my life, in fact. It was so much better for me than our huge local conference. There was a class this year about how religious universities can be too heathen, so let's just homeschool for college, too. Sigh.

And yes to the comment about divisions among the Christians, too. Our homeschool group is mostly LDS (but open to anyone) in part because several of our members were excluded from local Christian groups. It's their right, but still annoying. There are some Christian groups here that will include us, but typically you have to sign a statement of belief that doesn't accord with LDS or Catholic doctrine.

I was going to mention VAHomeschoolers, too. :)

They really are the definition of inclusive. They don't get into anything political or religious. They're JUST about homeschooling. That's it. And their conferences are fabulous. You'd never know the religious or political leanings of the presenters (mostly--sometimes someone will let a reference to God slip, but that's about it) or attendees. And nobody cares what those leanings are. We're all there to talk homeschooling. Nothing more.

Honestly, if anyone is going to travel to go to a great inclusive conference, come to this one! This year we had SWB AND Julie Bogart.

So some of my extended family are in the fire service. They have attended some of the big fire service conferences. They are enormous with workshops and vendors to fill a convention hall.  There are giant metro fire departments, federal fire departments from military bases, tiny rural departments, woodland firefighters, etc. All would agree that they have the goal of putting out fires (something I very much am in favor of, especially as fire season seems to have come early to my county this year). 

I know that there is friction between big unionized paid departments and small volunteer departments and combination departments. But they all agree that the goal is to put out fires.

My desire for a homeschooling conference is to hear a lot more about the possibilities on the academic front - regardless of the faith or political outlook of the speaker. Lay it all out there, religious, secular, neutral, etc and give me the credit that I don't need someone else to sift out the dross for me.

Driving home from the very large GHC last year, my friend and I filled several sheets of paper with lists of workshops and vendors we would have liked to have seen.  I spend several thousand dollars per year, every year on homeschooling. It's nice to hear from vendors and from been there done that moms without a product to sell.  I still don't know why this is such a hard thing.

My inclusive homeschool group decided that the views of this group really didn't match ours-they seem more "anti-religion" as opposed to "homeschooling for reasons other than religion and would prefer something focused on homeschooling. That didn't come so much from the website as that they also have a FB group, and discussions on that board really got pretty nasty if religion came up at all-whereas our local group is more like "Ooh!!! I'd LOVE to know more about what you believe!!".

If anyone is near Memphis, we're trying to do a small mini-conference this summer (just a one-day thing) instead of our usual "getting started with homeschooling", and hope to expand it in the future.

l'll be there! :)

I've been looking for a secular/inclusive conference closer to me for ages, but they just don't exist. As a vendor of secular materials, it's nearly impossible to sell at any of the local homeschool conventions. They either require vendors to follow their Statement of Faith, or specifically require that vendors not sell anything that has anything to do with evolution. It's frustrating, because while my materials are secular, they are only secular in the sense that they don't include religion lessons. 

So, this is definitely a trek for me, as I'm in the Northeast. But I hope that N.A.S.H. has a future in the homeschool world. I think there is definitely a need for a larger scale secular/inclusive homeschool conference.

Hmm...

Atlanta already has the Southeast Homeschool Expo, which seems much less religious than the other state homeschool conference. So, I'm sort of scratching my head over the reason for this in Atlanta. It's not like we don't have a non-fundie option already. I think. I've never been to SHE, I admit, so maybe it is not as inclusive as it seems???

That part of their mission statement ("...discriminatory religion...") also turned me off. I recently joined a secular co-op to get science classes for CP where evolution was a given. The leader knows I'm Christian, no problem. Others in the group are Christian or atheist or whatever. We're there to learn about science. So whatever. Why tack another agenda onto homeschooling?

Hmm...

Atlanta already has the Southeast Homeschool Expo, which seems much less religious than the other state homeschool conference. So, I'm sort of scratching my head over the reason for this in Atlanta. It's not like we don't have a non-fundie option already. I think. I've never been to SHE, I admit, so maybe it is not as inclusive as it seems???

That part of their mission statement ("...discriminatory religion...") also turned me off. I recently joined a secular co-op to get science classes for CP where evolution was a given. The leader knows I'm Christian, no problem. Others in the group are Christian or atheist or whatever. We're there to learn about science. So whatever. Why tack another agenda onto homeschooling?

:iagree:

I was at a small homeschooling expo a few weeks ago.  I'm new to this area and was really looking to hook up with what sort of extra curricular groups are available to homeschoolers here.  There were some folks representing one of the statewide homeschool organizations at one of the exhibitor tables. I chatted a few minutes and mentioned that I'd used their site as well the other state wide group (whose name I couldn't remember). Their response was, "Yes, but we're the only group who are exclusively (insert worldview)."

That response really frustrated me.  I happen to share their worldview. But I don't limit my associations to holders of that worldview who homeschool, to the exclusion of those who use private schools or public schools. It seems like there is a whole attitude of worldview first, homeschooling second; which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.  Maybe some homeschool products are things I won't use, because the worldview is simply incompatible with mine.  But with regards to whole swathes of academic endeavors, there is little bleed through. 

My inclusive homeschool group decided that the views of this group really didn't match ours-they seem more "anti-religion" as opposed to "homeschooling for reasons other than religion and would prefer something focused on homeschooling. That didn't come so much from the website as that they also have a FB group, and discussions on that board really got pretty nasty if religion came up at all-whereas our local group is more like "Ooh!!! I'd LOVE to know more about what you believe!!".

Since it was suggested upthread that there was more info on NASH origins on The Inappropriate Homeschooler's blog, I did some reading there. If her views are representative of the group, I am personally disheartened. They put me in mind of your post about the FB discussions.

If there is any agenda, it is finally having a safe place for families who are sick of always having to second guess everything in their "inclusive" homeschooling groups.

I have been thinking about this a lot, and I think this is my problem in a nutshell. The group's origins seem reactive to me instead of proactive, grown out of a shared resentment rather than a positive focus on the elemental needs of secular homeschoolers. I know some people have had cause for resentment, but I personally do not have a bone to pick with anyone, and I don't want to be affiliated with a bone-picking group.

Mostly though, I am wholly uncomfortable with the idea of a singular, stereotypical image of a secular homeschooler and any assumption that we are a homogeneous group with a shared POV on wider matters than a relatively simple desire for nonreligious materials.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mecarol

There is an inclusive homeschool convention coming to the southeast this summer, if that's what you're looking for. Www.midlandshomeschoolconvention.com is striving to be genuinely inclusive and education-centered.

I'm all for a secular convention, but it is, by its nature, exclusive.

This group is not an inclusive group. It is secular, but it is also anti-Christian. These are secular ladies who are stuck in the South-East and have been told one too many times that they can't participate without a letter from their pastor. I am being literal. More and more organizations, co-ops, and tutorials will not let you participate if you are not Protestant and come with a letter from your pastor stating that you are an active member of a congregation. They include wording about the Bible in their statement of faith that excludes Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Mormons. Now, imagine you are pagan or agnostic or atheist and live in this area. These ladies are just exhausted. They want a convention where there are exactly zero Christian sellers. They want to be surrounded by people who are neither going to pray over their kids nor tell them they are going to hell.

I get it. Really, I do. I know it is reactive, but honestly I understand. I want to be able to talk about science and not have someone try to explain to me that creationism is science. I want there to be some place with other homeschoolers where I am not a minority because I am not wearing a cross around my neck and no one looks at me like I have three heads when I say I am avoiding Christian homeschool materials. I live in the South-East, and I am exhausted. I am in several inclusive groups, but sometimes- I suppose like Christians going to church on Sunday- I just want to hang out with people who have a lack of belief or at least never mention their Protestant beliefs.

I wasn't this way even a couple of years ago and perhaps I won't be this way a couple of years from now. Things have happened in my local area, and I just don't want my family associated with the Protestant homeschool community. I wouldn't want anyone to think for even an instant that I am part of that.

So- I do think there is a need for a truly secular, no religion present, homeschool convention, and a secular homeschool group. Really, I also understand the let's all unite under the flag of homeschooling sentiment, but as soon as you unfurl that flag some Protestant will ruin the moment by feeling the need to pray under it. <sigh>

Mandy

Oh, I don't think that secular products are anti-Christian, but some Christians may disagree. Secular products will be free of religion. And, this convention has promised only secular vendors.

However, this group is secular, not religious, on steroids. They are not interested in an inclusive membership- particularly not Christian. Expect to be flamed if you start up with some Jesus loves you, koombahyah, I'll pray for you stuff.

Frankly, I am in a place where I understand wanting a safe spot, somewhere to relax without religion.

Mandy

Well I think it looks pretty good for what seems like a pretty amateur operation.  I don't think I could do better!

I'm not willing to travel to Georgia for it though. 

I've only been to the one mini conference in PA (with SWB and MCT).  That was so awesome.  First time I felt like I was being taken seriously.

Come to GA with me! I'm still mourning the canceled RFWP event, so I'm seriously considering hitting this one solo (which shouldn't be too much more than bringing 2 of my kids to Valley Forge.)  I don't hog airplane arm rests, but I do insist on the window seat. :tongue_smilie:

Come to GA with me! I'm still mourning the canceled RFWP event, so I'm seriously considering hitting this one solo (which shouldn't be too much more than bringing 2 of my kids to Valley Forge.) I don't hog airplane arm rests, but I do insist on the window seat. :tongue_smilie:

Hmmmmmmm

What are those dates again? *goes to look*

There are conferences that are unabashedly Christian (FPEA in Florida for example). What's wrong with one that's unabashedly secular? I don't want inclusive. Personally I'd prefer that over inclusive. I'd want to know that none of the vendors are offering Christian curriculum (or any religious curriculum but we all know that most are Christian), so that I wouldn't have to go through and figure out which booths to visit. 

Inclusive is good for support groups, but doesn't always work for conferences. I don't know anything about the VA conference that's been mentioned, but even with that one I would probably have to sort through the vendors to find ones that are truly secular.

Where are you getting your information? Maybe I didn't read enough on their site...

Look at the Inappropriate Homeschooler's blog and FB page. ;)

Trust me- I am all for creating a secular space. I don't think an inclusive space is good enough, because, frankly, no matter what some Christians say about wanting inclusive groups, when push comes to shove, they are both still pushing their Christian agenda and still going to church on Sunday away from secular people. This group is about more than what product they are using for math. It is their time with just secular families just like your time at church is your time with just Christian families.

I am a member of several inclusive groups and have some great friendships with people who are walking a very different journey from mine, but it is lovely to have a group of women who don't have saving me on their to do list, never mention what went on at church group, and whenever they discuss timelines there is no need to clarify that it is old earth.

If you join the FB group and start talking about how you want all homeschoolers to hold your Christian hand and join together in homeschool brotherhood, expect them to tell you to hop on your Christian cross and ride it back to from whence you came that this particular space is for secular homeschool brotherhood.

These women are those whose children can't participate in events because those children refuse to write a statement explaining their personal relationship with Jesus Christ. There is going to be irreverence at best. At worst, there will be outright slamming of the Christian homeschool community. You can think of this community of non-believers as their church of disbelief. As a Christian, it would be hypocritical to tell them they shouldn't be allowed to be exclusive when you aren't demanding that on Sunday afternoon your church stop talking about Jesus so that the pagans will feel more accepted at the picnic.

HTH-

Mandy