Menu

Help me cover my dd's crack (please!)

Ipsey

My completely average sized 9-year-old daughter shows crack all day long. She has no toochis and we can only find all of these short waisted pants. It's truly ghastly. We're talking 2 inches, at least!  

We could do a belt, but she sometimes waits too long to hit the bathroom, and fumbling with a belt may lead to disaster.

Are there any reasonable pants for a girl today?

Help!

(thanks :))

Seconding yoga pants, especially the kind with the roll down waist band. Ths is the less expensive option, you could also shop at higher end stores. I've noticed the discount stores tend to carry more low wasted pants than the higher end stores. Mst be all that extra fabric required. Sigh.

I have a skinny, skinny boy with a short rise and a boy on the skinniest side of average with a long rise. I think boy pants might be slightly better than girl pants because my older one only shows crack if he can't cinch them tight enough, not because the rise is too short (of course, we aren't trying every brand out there). Maybe you can compare two pairs of the same size in boy and girl fashions. If you can find boy jeans that are plain, maybe you can iron on some flowery embroidery, remove some cute back pockets from an old pair of girl jeans and reattach them to new boy jeans, or add bling to the boy jeans (or maybe your daughter will like plain jeans, who knows?).

I've heard other moms complain that the girl jeans are made to make their daughters look kind of curvy before they have curves, and my guess is the low rise is part of that as well as part of an overall fashion trend. 

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of the yoga pants and looking into boy jeans as well. Also, long under tanks. That might not work because she gets sooooo hot so easily. She might balk at that, but it's worth a shot.

How about leggings and a skirt or dress? Lots of active girls wear this around here and it doesn't interfere with play. Heck, I wear the grown-up version and go hiking or ride my bike! :)

I have the same problem with grown-up jeans, just a little too much shows when I'm sitting. I buy long camis or tanks and wear them with/under everything.

Cat

We've found long camisoles help cover the gap. DD wears skorts or skirts over leggings or shorts, mostly with elastic waists, and is in pants considerably less often because we can find so few that fit.

We have the same problem. Even though dd is not plus-sized, I've found that the plus-size jeans come up higher on her hips/waist and don't slide down as badly as the regular sizes. I buy the brands with adjustable waists so I can cinch them, as they are usually too big. It's not perfect, but it works for us since dd doesn't like skirts or anything tight like undershirts.

We've had success with OshKosh, Children's Place, and Crazy 8 brands.

Just fyi, I've heard low rise is going out of style--

Hope it doesn't venture into Mom Jeans territory, but a couple of inches would be welcome around here!

My dd turns 15 in a few days - this is on her birthday wish list. Its the UK site, but I searched and the US urban outfitters site has some too....they just look slightly different.

DD7 has a crack that goes up her back to her waist.  She is tall and plus size, so combining the hard to find plus-size with wanting higher waists makes pant shopping a nightmare.  

DD does pretty good in Old Navy Rockstar skinny jeans.  They 'sit at waist'  and have an adjustable waist.  I buy skinny jeans but buy a size larger than she would wear, using the adjusters to make them have a bit of a elastic waist.  The skinny legs and thighs make it so that the excess fabric length just bunches around her ankles and doesn't drag the ground.  

I have also have good luck with buying Junior xsmall/small size yoga capris.  If I buy the ones that are closer to knee length in a Jr size, they are capri length on my dd. Since they are designed for taller people, the waist is higher.  To find ones that fit dd, I have to shop around a bit, but once I find a good style, I buy all the colors LOL. 

For shorts, I buy her athletic shorts from sports stores not the ones in stores like Justice. The soccer style (Nike fit her best) that have longer legs and have a higher waist. are her favorites. The thing we like about athletic shorts is  that they are designed to stay up in competition and aren't  low rise.  I also just bought her these from JCPenny that fit her great.  The elastic top, really help them stay up better and cover the crack. 

My niece has a curvy bum and a small waist...poor girls crack is always hanging out because jeans are cut so weird now! they rest halfway down her crack, that is just where they are cut! A belt doesn't help, she cinches them but then gets the unflattering pull in the front I won't use the name for. She has taken to wearing jeggings, the stretch jeans, because they don't gap and generally come up higher. she also wears long thin tank tops under everything to cover any gaps.

I am a beanpole with no discernible bum or hips and have the same problem- it's the cut of the jeans now, I swear. I too wear a long tank under everything to cover my crack.

I do most of her shopping, and I will have to show her the link...I personally feel those are fugly, but she is 12 and fashionable, so perhaps she will be excited!

Try shopping for jeans at a Western Wear store. They tend to have higher waists. Wrangler makes a girls jean line.. Silverlake, I think. (silver something) that has higher waists. Rocky Mountains are also higher waisted. The other place I would look, is Old Navy.

I've been trying to find DD12 jeans that fit right for over 3 years!!!  She hates "skinny jeans" and we both hate the low rise.  We were in Tractor Supply Store yesterday and bought boys Wrangler jeans, 12 regular whoo hoo, they fit perfectly!!! She said "who cares if they are boys, I am just happy to find a pair of jeans FINALLY".  There ya go, my 2 cents worth.  Best $20 I've spent in months.

She's been wearing leggings and t-shirts for 3 years; she's kind of tired of that look!

~coffee~

Gymboree works well.  No cracks showing in Gymbo here.  But I had to ditch the Old Navy capri jeans because it was a crack fest.  In the summer, short sleeved play dresses with capri leggings or bike shorts underneath works, well.  Gymbo (or Crazy 8) has elastic waist shorts or adjustable waist shorts which fit well and do not show crack.