Menu

Donald Sterling

Scarlett

I just don't think this kind of stuff is news. People say things in their homes that they don't need to be held accountable for publicly. I mean if someone hadn't illegally recorded him, none of us would know about this.

Yeah his opinion is racist and unpopular (and certainly not PC), but it's just his opinion, and I just don't see why people care. I had no clue who he even was before this.

And seriously, his rant certainly isn't the most disgusting thing about the man.

Not a Mark Cuban fan, but this is my feelings on this. "But regardless of your background, regardless of the history they have, if we're taking something somebody said in their home and we're trying to turn it into something that leads to you being forced to divest property in any way, shape or form, that's not the United States of America. I don't want to be part of that."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10854381/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-rails-donald-sterling-not-favor-kicking-owner&ex_cid=sportscenter

nothing is being said about him having a girlfriend and being married!

He and the girlfriend claim that she is not the girlfriend and that she is his publicist or archivist or something like that.

Another thing to consider - he is 80 years old (almost) - I have a feeling that he has dementia because these attitudes are strange for someone who is so deeply involved in the NBA and living in LA. I am pretty sure that until now, some of his best friends and employees came from non-white races.

And this girlfriend is being sued by the wife for embezzlement - so the girlfriend realized that she is not going to get more money out of this family - so she decided to get her revenge on them by recording conversations and selling them to tabloids.

Though he chose to say racist things, it is a private conversation and he was recorded without consent. It looks to me that she threatened to leak the conversation if she did not get a payout and the wife who is the business partner refused to pay and told him to call the bluff. And we are seeing that drama played out in the public.

Regardless, I think that he will go - I heard on Sportscenter that several billionaires called NBA to make offers to buy Clippers.

Another thing to consider - he is 80 years old (almost) - I have a feeling that he has dementia because these attitudes are strange for someone who is so deeply involved in the NBA and living in LA. I am pretty sure that until now, some of his best friends and employees came from non-white races.

And this girlfriend is being sued by the wife for embezzlement - so the girlfriend realized that she is not going to get more money out of this family - so she decided to get her revenge on them by recording conversations and selling them to tabloids.

Though he chose to say racist things, it is a private conversation and he was recorded without consent. It looks to me that she threatened to leak the conversation if she did not get a payout and the wife who is the business partner refused to pay and told him to call the bluff. And we are seeing that drama played out in the public.

Regardless, I think that he will go - I heard on Sportscenter that several billionaires called NBA to make offers to buy Clippers.

I heard he has already been sued for discriminating against blacks and Hispanics by refusing to rent to them. And sure he has blak employees. He thinks he is their plantation owner. In that tape he talks about giving them cars and houses....referring to things they buy with their salaries! He is nuts.

In my state you don't have to have consent. Was the recording made in CA? Not sure about their laws.

Google says CA is two-party consent state. Assuming they were both in CA at the time, it would not be a "legal" recording. She could face charges for making the recording and distributing it, unless she has some claim that he's blackmailing or extorting her.

I don't exactly consider myself a champion for minority rights, and usually when stupid racists remarks hit the news I just roll my eyes and get on with my life, but THIS! I heard the tape on the news last night, and I was FLOORED by what he said! Heavens to Betsy! What's up with that man?

I know, my reaction exactly. I would be sick if I were one of those players....

He and the girlfriend claim that she is not the girlfriend and that she is his publicist or archivist or something like that.

The girlfriend is being sued for embezzlement because the wife is claiming the presents and money her husband gave to his mistress were bought out of community property and the wife wants those things back. The whole thing is repugnant, but it's not the kind of situation many of us likely think of when we hear embezzlement. And whatever her motives in disclosing the conversations are, Mr. Sterling said those things and clearly believes them.

I guess it doesn't matter to me that he said those disgusting things in a private conversation or not (apart from the legal issues about it being recorded). If I were a Clippers fan or sponsor, I wouldn't want to put money in that man's pockets or to have my brand associated with him in any way. I do feel bad for his players being caught in the fallout, and for his wife for having what would normally be a private affair dragged through the media.

The girlfriend is being sued for embezzlement because the wife is claiming the presents and money her husband gave to his mistress were bought out of community property and the wife wants those things back. The whole thing is repugnant, but it's not the kind of situation many of us likely think of when we hear embezzlement. And whatever her motives in disclosing the conversations are, Mr. Sterling said those things and clearly believes them.

I guess it doesn't matter to me that he said those disgusting things in a private conversation or not (apart from the legal issues about it being recorded). If I were a Clippers fan or sponsor, I wouldn't want to put money in that man's pockets or to have my brand associated with him in any way. I do feel bad for his players being caught in the fallout, and for his wife for having what would normally be a private affair dragged through the media.

I would feel more sorry for the wife if she were divorcing him and getting all that money spent on the affair added to her property settlement.

I would feel more sorry for the wife if she were divorcing him and getting all that money spent on the affair added to her property settlement.

And if she hadn't been an active participant in the housing discrimination. They have been separated for several years, per TMZ. So it must be true. ;)

And another bit of nuttiness: He doesn't want his girlfriend associating with those black people...but the girlfriend self-identifies as black and hispanic.

I heard that...heard him also say he didn't care if she admired blacks, fed blacks, slept with blacks, just don't put their pictures on The Instagram.

If I were a Clippers fan or sponsor, I wouldn't want to put money in that man's pockets 

Speaking as a Clippers fan and as a mom of a rabid Clippers fan, please don't boycott this team - we love the players (especially Griffin and Paul) and would not want them to suffer because of their owner.

Latest news says that the owner has been banned for lifetime and that the NBA might force a sale of the Clippers.

Irony #1: Magic Johnson who was racially attacked by Sterling and is posing for the picture with the mistress and who was trying to buy Clippers before all this came out will get his chance to try to buy it.

Irony #2: Donald Sterling legally changed his name from Donald Tokowitz as an adult because he wanted to escape racism!

Yeah his opinion is racist and unpopular (and certainly not PC), but it's just his opinion, and I just don't see why people care. I had no clue who he even was before this.

You don't think it matters that a man who owns a team with contracted African American players is a racist? He's being forced to sell the team and has been banned from the NBA for life, so it is sort of a moot point. But, I *definitely* think it matters if business owners are bigots. The opinions of CEOs and business owners *do* matter, and they affect the choices I make with my dollars.

You don't think it matters that a man who owns a team with contracted African American players is a racist? He's being forced to sell the team and has been banned from the NBA for life, so it is sort of a moot point. But, I *definitely* think it matters if business owners are bigots. The opinions of CEOs and business owners *do* matter, and they affect the choices I make with my dollars.

I can agree that it matters and that my dollars should reflect that, but we are seeing an increased number of CEO's and various corporate leaders bullied out of their jobs because of their personal beliefs. Last month it was the CEO of Firefox for donating $1000 dollars of his personal money to a traditional marriage organization, now Sterling is being forced out when the NBA does not have an actual policy to justify this move. 

The micro managing of personal beliefs is something I find a bit scary. Now, if he was convicted of something  due to those beliefs I am all for him being banned from the NBA for his conviction, but this feels like a witch hunt. 

Again, I find this man personally abhorrent. I think it is even worse that he owns a team made up of primarily African Americans, but just because I feel that way does not mean he should be prevented from owning a team. Has he had due process? On what grounds is the NBA basing their decision? because he is douche bag? So, when the media riles up the general populace into deeming someone a douche bag they can have their property stripped from them (talking about team ownership, not individual players of course)?

Something just feels really off in how this is being handled. 

Again, I find this man personally abhorrent. I think it is even worse that he owns a team made up of primarily African Americans, but just because I feel that way does not mean he should be prevented from owning a team. Has he had due process? On what grounds is the NBA basing their decision? because he is douche bag? So, when the media riles up the general populace into deeming someone a douche bag they can have their property stripped from them (talking about team ownership, not individual players of course)?

Something just feels really off in how this is being handled.

My understanding is that everyone affiliated with the NBA (including owners) is bound by by a set of standards for behavior as a condition of their participation, and that the NBA feels that Mr. Sterling has violated those standards. From what the NBA commissioner said in his statement, he is planning to ask the Board of Governors to exercise provisions written into the NBA constitution to force Mr. Sterling to sell the Clippers team (I think I read he needs a 3/4 majority to do so). I don't think due process applies to a private organization enforcing standards that Mr. Sterling agreed to when he bought an NBA team. They did wait a few days to be sure that the recording was genuine and that Mr. Sterling did say the things attributed to him.

And his property won't "be stripped from him." He will indeed be forced to sell, if the commissioner can get the required support from the Board, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that he won't be receiving fair value for the team.

I think what he said was repugnant. 

BUT, I have a big problem with the girlfriend, or any "friend" of any sort, making a recording of that and then sharing it publicly. What was her motivation? She knew what she was going to record, presumably that is why she recorded it. So, she chose to associate with someone who holds those views, but then records it . . . for what purpose? Blackmail? Payback? Celebrity/money/fame? Why? If he is a nasty person, then why is she in relationship with him at all? I think she is a piece of work even more than he is. 

Second, I think there is a very good chance this 80ish year old man has dementia. A very large portion of people over 80 have dementia. Not only that, but many more have "mild cognitive impairment" impairing their judgment, emotions, and communication skills well before it can be firmly diagnosed as dementia. People with dementia not only will say outrageous things because they have no filters, but also may be reverting to an earlier stage of their history. He may well have been living in his youth, 50 or 60 ye ars ago, when his stated views were not only common, but nearly universal. Heck, he was pretty tame compared to what was the norm 50 years ago, when he was already well into adulthood. 

And, finally, of course I totally disagree with the content and subtext of his statements.

I just hate the way his private intimate (and confused and illogical) conversation was made public with no obvious ethical reason. Golly, I've know tons of assholes, and I've heard tons of people say horrible things. Does that mean that I should have recorded them and made their private idiocy into a permanent reflection of who they are? Do we have to be boiled down to our weakest, stupidest moments? While I haven't personally ever made a racist rant, as that just isn't the way I think, I've said plenty of horrible things that I'd be mortified to have made public.

Then, having a parent with dementia, and learning more about it, I believe that the likelihood that his mental health is impaired, and that then this woman used that impairment to publicly shame and humiliate him . . . well, it is all rather disheartening about the human race. Even more than the fact that this one rich old white guy is a closet racist. No big shocker there. I bet more than half of old rich white guys are . . . 

In 50 years, homophobia will be as universally abhorrent as racism is now. When we ourselves are oldsters with half our mind and emotions living in our youth, who knows what crazy things we'd say . . . 

So, anyway, I feel sorry for the old goat. 

And, of course, he can't still own a sports team, and I am sure that'll be resolved soon enough. 

My understanding is that everyone affiliated with the NBA (including owners) is bound by by a set of standards for behavior as a condition of their participation, and that the NBA feels that Mr. Sterling has violated those standards. From what the NBA commissioner said in his statement, he is planning to ask the Board of Governors to exercise provisions written into the NBA constitution to force Mr. Sterling to sell the Clippers team (I think I read he needs a 3/4 majority to do so). I don't think due process applies to a private organization enforcing standards that Mr. Sterling agreed to when he bought an NBA team. They did wait a few days to be sure that the recording was genuine and that Mr. Sterling did say the things attributed to him.

And his property won't "be stripped from him." He will indeed be forced to sell, if the commissioner can get the required support from the Board, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that he won't be receiving fair value for the team.

It is my understanding that there is nothing specific in the standards that addresses this issue. It is a grey area at this place in time, although I am sure they will clarify the standards after this.

I agree that he needs to go. It is the way he is going that I am concerned about. Let the owners vote, follow the by-laws as written, but writing them under this type of media frenzy is what I am struggling with. Chart before the horse, so to speak. 

I can agree that it matters and that my dollars should reflect that, but we are seeing an increased number of CEO's and various corporate leaders bullied out of their jobs because of their personal beliefs. Last month it was the CEO of Firefox for donating $1000 dollars of his personal money to a traditional marriage organization, now Sterling is being forced out when the NBA does not have an actual policy to justify this move. 

Here's the quote from the NBA:

"Sentiments of this kind are contrary to the principles of inclusion and respect that form the foundation of our diverse, multicultural and multi-ethnic league," Silver said. Regardless of whether Sterling's views were expressed in private, "They are now public and they reflect his views."

More from the same story:

Monday brought a slew of sponsors distancing themselves from the team and a host of other owners and team officials condemning the comments attributed to Sterling, who has never been disciplined by the league.

Adidas confirmed to CNN Tuesday that it was suspending its current marketing partnership with the Clippers. That means the company will not have in-arena promotions, signage, LED boards and so forth, but Adidas will remain the official outfitter. The Adidas logo doesn't appear on the team's warm-ups, shooting shirts and gear, Adidas spokeswoman Laura Lamkin said in an e-mail.

Twelve Clippers sponsors have taken action. State Farm, Virgin America, CarMax, Red Bull were among companies to pull sponsorships, at least temporarily, CNN Money reported.

The NBA is a *private organization*. They absolutely have the right to ensure that their financial interests are not harmed by stated beliefs/actions of owners that become public information.

He will likely be forced to sell, but the team won't simply be stripped from him, he will *sell* it. There is a due process in place, 3/4 of other owners must agree. That *is* the due process that is in place for these types of actions.

Here's the quote from the NBA:

More from the same story:

The NBA is a *private organization*. They absolutely have the right to ensure that their financial interests are not harmed by stated beliefs/actions of owners that become public information.

He will likely be forced to sell, but the team won't simply be stripped from him, he will *sell* it. There is a due process in place, 3/4 of other owners must agree. That *is* the due process that is in place for these types of actions.

I get that and you are right that in being forced to sell he will recoup his assets, but that begs other questions. Is being forced to sell going to garner the price the team is worth? I still do not think the NBA standards on this are clear and it should be no surprise that this man is a racist. He has been for years.

The lynch mob mentality is what is becoming increasingly alarming. 

I get that and you are right that in being forced to sell he will recoup his assets, but that begs other questions. Is being forced to sell going to garner the price the team is worth? I still do not think the NBA standards on this are clear and it should be no surprise that this man is a racist. He has been for years.

We *don't know* if they are clear because the NBA's by-laws that all owners agree to are *not* public information. The following link offers more information about avenues of disciplinary action: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851145/how-nba-respond-donald-sterling

Really? You *really* think that is an appropriate metaphor to make in this case?

We *don't know* if they are clear because the NBA's by-laws that all owners agree to are *not* public information. The following link offers more information about avenues of disciplinary action: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10851145/how-nba-respond-donald-sterling

Really? You *really* think that is an appropriate metaphor to make in this case?

Your right, I did not think that through....multi tasking, but the more I think on it.....yes I do feel that way regarding this and the other recent Firefox incident. Head on a platter might have been better, but I have issues with the whole John the Baptist connection as well. ;)

I absolutely think we should be held accountable for our views. I think that is what the phrase courage of convictions means.

If you want to be a racist then you should be willing to not be accepted by a society that is working to eliminate racism.

I absolutely think we should be held accountable for our views. I think that is what the phrase courage of convictions means.

If you want to be a racist then you should be willing to not be accepted by a society that is working to eliminate racism.

I don't disagree. 

I just watched The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow, a four-part PBS series from 2002.

Their website here and a book link here.

Got the DVD from our library but I believe it's available on Netflix.

I consider myself very liberal and haven't felt like I've been sheltered from the horrors of slavery or other ills in our country's past.

The photos of the lynchings are almost beyond my comprehension.

At one point, roughly one person was lynched every 4 days in the US.

What is gong on here is NOTHING like a lynch mob.

See some of the actual photos.

Then please think about what you're saying.

Photos on wiki page are mild.

She may believe that she is acting as a whistleblower. Showing pictures of him naked would be a personal embarrassment without any valid public interest.

I don't buy the dementia argument. He's, from all reports, been a man of questionable ethics and beliefs from way back.

I just don't think this kind of stuff is news. People say things in their homes that they don't need to be held accountable for publicly. I mean if someone hadn't illegally recorded him, none of us would know about this.

And seriously, his rant certainly isn't the most disgusting thing about the man.

I disagree. He is a public figure. Imo we should condemn racism and bigotry.

How would you feel if it was your children he was discussing? Would you care then? I do care and so do his players. IMO we should stand behind the players rather than be annoyed he is being penalized.

I think "PC" and "unpopular" are strangely dismissive terms to use in the face of such hatred. I don't know what you think PC means. PC is  using terms such as "firefighter" instead of "fireman."  It isn't this.

Apparently there is more to the story than just what he has said in his home, he has been sued by the justice department for discrimination. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/04/28/307674055/for-sterling-a-spotty-reputation-further-tarnished

Your right, I did not think that through....multi tasking, but the more I think on it.....yes I do feel that way regarding this and the other recent Firefox incident. Head on a platter might have been better, but I have issues with the whole John the Baptist connection as well. ;)

You should actually read the link. Women were murdered for perpetrating magic against people. Blacks were lynched for the color of their skin. These are not apt comparisons for someone who doesn't deny the making the racist, bigoted remarks in question. Again, the NBA by-laws are *not* public information. We don't know what they say about standards of behavior. We *do* know that the NBA has the ability to discipline its owners, players and teams. They have a process in place to discipline them. They have the right to follow through.

She may believe that she is acting as a whistleblower. Showing pictures of him naked would be a personal embarrassment without any valid public interest.

I don't buy the dementia argument. He's, from all reports, been a man of questionable ethics and beliefs from way back.

I suspect she did it as revenge for a personal matter between them, not because she wanted to right a moral wrong.

She may have also figured it was her ticket to fame and fortune. Let's face it, she probably wasn't dating the man because of his handsome face, great body, and warm personality. ;) I would assume it was all about the $$$$$$, and if it looked like the "relationship" was going south, she may have wanted to find a new angle for herself.

It's not like she just met the man and suddenly found out he held certain beliefs. She has known him for quite a while, and I doubt he has kept his personal prejudices a secret from her. But now she decides to tell the world what he's really like... I know I sound very cynical, but I don't think she outed him as a racist as part of her civic duty.

I heard that...heard him also say he didn't care if she admired blacks, fed blacks, slept with blacks, just don't put their pictures on The Instagram.

I heard that, too.  

"The Instagram" was the one bright spot in this very dark story.  

I'm still giggling.

Totally agree. If you are a public or quasi-public individual with the ability to affect people's lives (e.g., you pay their paychecks, you have control over their housing conditions or options), then I think you get to be held to higher standard. No one's stopping him from having his views, but the public and corporate sponsors have an absolute right to say "Yuck!" The players have an absolute right to boycott playing against the Clippers until he's removed. The franchise would likely collapse under the lack of sponsorships and possibly diminished ticket sales anyway. 

It really matters. There are lots of things that I *can* do/say, but would translate into diminished opportunities for me if I did. So I either decide not to do them or I accept that some doors are going to be closed to me. Happens all the time to regular people. An egregiously racist owner doesn't fit the image and standards that the NBA wants to project, they have a process for getting rid of such individuals, it is what it is. Of all of the life situations I could feel sorry for, this one is at the bottom of a very long list. 

It is my understanding that there is nothing specific in the standards that addresses this issue. It is a grey area at this place in time, although I am sure they will clarify the standards after this.

I agree that he needs to go. It is the way he is going that I am concerned about. Let the owners vote, follow the by-laws as written, but writing them under this type of media frenzy is what I am struggling with. Chart before the horse, so to speak. 

Again, there aren't always specific standards for being forced out of many situations/organizations. Thousands of regular people are forced out of organizations under "grey" circumstances. Usually the "gray areas" work against regular folks, and certainly for regular folks of color. For once, the "gray area" hammer got dropped on a wealthy individual in a country where being wealthy too often means you are above any consequences or sanctions.

I think, at root, it's an economic issue for the NBA - sponsors are dropping them left and right. You simply can't be an organization that makes money off of a majority of black players, millions of basketball-loving black fans, and have this work for your long term building of the franchise and the league. So I don't get it twisted - while I believe most people find the comments abhorrent (especially the plantation like feel of the sentiments), they are thinking about the long-term financial viability of the franchise and the NBA organization, and these actions and behaviors directly damage that viability. He's gone -- or else the NBA is going to have a more general sponsorship and boycott situation on their hands. Good luck having a playoffs... sometimes your dignity is worth more than a big paycheck, and it seems like the players are leaning that way as a possible option. Good for them!

The military is an extremely integrated environment. Despite that fact, there are people who manage to reach certain points in their career while holding views that are in direct opposition of military values. When they make it clear that they are not to be trusted with the lives of our men and women in uniform, then they are removed. Here's one example:

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20110522/NEWS/105220310/PowerPoint-slides-spur-ouster-CO-CSM

This isn't an unusual occurrence out there in the world. People whose values are out of sync with their employer/organization/political fellows/whatever, then they will face consequences.

This isn't an unusual occurrence out there in the world. People whose values are out of sync with their employer/organization/political fellows/whatever, then they will face consequences.

Right.  Maybe the NBA should take a page out of Chick-Fil-A's book and prescreen their franchise owners.

Even if he gets fair value for the team, there are consequences to being "forced to sell" - he will get more than market value because there are a few billionaires already in a bidding war for this team. Clippers are one of the top NBA teams and they have some very charismatic, talented and likeable players in a hot location.

But, this guy bought it for $12 million in the early 80s and he built this team up and moved it to LA. If he is forced to sell now, he will get a billion dollars (this number is the estimated selling price according to the TV shows). Apparently, this man's big problems with selling are that:

1. he owns the team along with his estrange wife and she wants to run the team with other family members and hopes that he will stay away now.

2. He will have a "forced" capital gain of almost $700 million if he is "forced to sell" -  on which he needs to pay income tax, and that would be an unforseen financial circumstance for which he did not make any plans.

It is unclear from the news reports what Serling will do now - I hope that he comes out and apologizes, which would be a good first step. And I really hope that the ex-girlfriend with the Ferraris bought off this old man's wealth does not get a reality show now.

Even if he gets fair value for the team, there are consequences to being "forced to sell" - he will get more than market value because there are a few billionaires already in a bidding war for this team. Clippers are one of the top NBA teams and they have some very charismatic, talented and likeable players in a hot location.

But, this guy bought it for $12 million in the early 80s and he built this team up and moved it to LA. If he is forced to sell now, he will get a billion dollars (this number is the estimated selling price according to the TV shows). Apparently, this man's big problems with selling are that:

1. he owns the team along with his estrange wife and she wants to run the team with other family members and hopes that he will stay away now.

2. He will have a "forced" capital gain of almost $700 million if he is "forced to sell" - on which he needs to pay income tax, and that would be an unforseen financial circumstance for which he did not make any plans.

It is unclear from the news reports what Serling will do now - I hope that he comes out and apologizes, which would be a good first step. And I really hope that the ex-girlfriend with the Ferraris bought off this old man's wealth does not get a reality show now.

He entered into a contractual agreement with a private organization. (A private organization that governs billions of dollars made by watching grown men bounce large, orange balls, just for perspective...) The private organization has rules and conduct guidelines of which he was perfectly aware and to which he agreed to adhere.

It is not a government taking of property or liberty. I cannot bring myself to cry crocodile tears over the tax consequences he may face when he's made a billion plus off of "the blacks" he so despises.

The NBA's decision isn't based solely on this leaked conversation--read some of the articles out there on how generally awful of an owner he's been. This was simply the final straw.

I think it's concerning they are banning him for something that was illegally taped that he said in the privacy of his own home. (the implications of Orwellian thought police comes to mind.)

why didn't they ban him for things he actually DID (discrimination in housing) that triggered investigations by the justice dept?  (silver was specifically asked that question - and said it was only for what he said.)

makes me think the only reason he was banned is public pressure, not because the nba has any particular scruples.