Menu

Ham and Cheese Croissants... How would we make these?

PeterPan

Yes, buy a box of croissants at Sam's, Costco, BJ's, etc. 

Then slice it open using a serrated knife….

I would add some dijonaise… soft butter….and then whatever ham/cheese you love.

Wrap in foil, and heat at 300 for 7-8 minutes.

Yum. :)

And then I'd buy a second box, and do the same thing, only using half of my favorite chocolate bar, or even add in some Easter candy…Peeps perhaps with the chocolate?

Oh that is bad, bad bad!!

Help!

I suppose I should not tell you that Peeps make the best darn S'mores…because the sugar on the outside caramelizes.  We used to make them in the toaster oven.  It was kind of disturbing to watch the little bunnies and chicks cook…but then once you took a bite, you got over it. :)

I suppose I should not tell you that Peeps make the best darn S'mores…because the sugar on the outside caramelizes.  We used to make them in the toaster oven.  It was kind of disturbing to watch the little bunnies and chicks cook…but then once you took a bite, you got over it. :)

That wasn't helpful either. You don't even know me. Why are you trying to wreck my resolve not to eat junk???

Thanks for the suggestions  ;) 

Seems to me that if a croissant is a good croissant, you wouldn't want to wreck it with ham and cheese.

They're not that hard to make by hand. I used to make them when I was in junior high and I don't think I was any kind of culinary genius.

Lately, though, I've found another recipe that uses a lot less butter (and is therefore a lot easier). I can slap that together a lot quicker.

That wasn't helpful either. You don't even know me. Why are you trying to wreck my resolve not to eat junk???

Thanks for the suggestions  ;) 

I pretend to be a SAHM with four kids, but really I'm a lowly product director for Just Born and I scour the internet looking for opportunities to tell people about the joys of marshmallow Peeps ®. ;)

I pretend to be a SAHM with four kids, but really I'm a lowly product director for Just Born and I scour the internet looking for opportunities to tell people about the joys of marshmallow Peeps ®. ;)

Okay, so when are the Minis appearing in stores? The commercial is torture and says "coming soon!" My DH has taken to yelling at the TV.

That sounds really good. I need to go buy some Peeps. My kids don't like them (shocking) so I hadn't gotten them for Easter. My 7 year old vegetarian son is refusing to eat "animal shaped" candy this year. We're having fun teasing him about what's ok and not (gummi worms? Yes, but he doesn't like them. Goldfish crackers? Yes, the don't look real. Peeps? No because they are cute chicks and he loves chicks.)  :001_rolleyes: He might be just a little disturbed by the microwave thing but he can go in the other room. 

I never thought about this, and I pretty much hate Peeps, but I could totally get on board for some caramelized sugar in my s'mores.  YUM.

Ok, y'all are totally cracking me up!!  I did NOT realize TJ's has croissant dough!!  How did I miss this?!?!  So clearly that's something I have to change, but I can't do that within the next week.  

I had no clue mortals tried to do croissants at home.  Talk to me about this.  What do you actually do?  Doesn't it involve incantations over large amounts of butter while you roll back and forth in a worshipful motion?  :D  Is this a multi-hour endeavor?  Days?  

I think it was definitely the lusciousness of having the meat and cheese and croissants cooked together.  Predone, sorta dry ones wouldn't be the same.  There needs to be the indulgence, or my imagination of the indulgence I'm getting from that picture in the William Sonoma catalog, lol.  Glad to know it's worth it.  

As far as the chocolate, that had not even occurred to me but sounds divine.  That might even go over bigger.  Imagine the potential (breakfast with chocolate croissants and ham croissants, lunch with chocolate croissants and ham croissants, dinner...  Oh yeah, very virtuous and well-balanced diet here...

Kill peeps in a microwave for smores?  Awesome idea!!!  

I think in reality the frozen croissant dough makes more sense.  Sure sounds fun to try though, and definitely we need to try the iterations, wow...

That's what I was going to say!  We wrap semisweet or dark chocolate in the dough, brush with a little bit of butter then sprinkle with caster sugar.  So good. I had them years ago at Palmer House and couldn't believe how easy they were to make.

I'm feeling idiotic here for a second.  What kind of dough are you using?  And does it actually need to *seal* around the chocolate?  Or you're saying they're triangles of croissant dough and the chocolate oozing out is cool? 

I found this. http://www.inspiredtaste.net/20300/sinfully-easy-chocolate-croissant-recipe/  Is that what you're describing?  Wow, yum!!!  

I may be trying ham and cheese croissants and chocolate ones too in the coming months, but first I plan to use the same dough recipe to make cheese danishes for Easter. I have Peter Reinhart's Artisan Bread Everyday book and I'll be using his recipe. Just so you can see the amount of work involved, I found a blog of someone who tried his croissants:

http://bewitchingkitchen.com/tag/peter-reinhart-croissants/

I'll make the dough Friday night, do the butter/rolling part on Saturday, and then cut strips, snail-roll them, and put Reinhart's cheese filling on top--then they get a hot glaze and a fondant glaze! I can let you know after Easter how the whole danish experiment goes!

Seems to me that if a croissant is a good croissant, you wouldn't want to wreck it with ham and cheese.

They're not that hard to make by hand. I used to make them when I was in junior high and I don't think I was any kind of culinary genius.

Lately, though, I've found another recipe that uses a lot less butter (and is therefore a lot easier). I can slap that together a lot quicker.

And would you be willing to share this recipe?

I may be trying ham and cheese croissants and chocolate ones too in the coming months, but first I plan to use the same dough recipe to make cheese danishes for Easter. I have Peter Reinhart's Artisan Bread Everyday book and I'll be using his recipe. Just so you can see the amount of work involved, I found a blog of someone who tried his croissants:

http://bewitchingkitchen.com/tag/peter-reinhart-croissants/

I'll make the dough Friday night, do the butter/rolling part on Saturday, and then cut strips, snail-roll them, and put Reinhart's cheese filling on top--then they get a hot glaze and a fondant glaze! I can let you know after Easter how the whole danish experiment goes!

That sounds scrum-delish!!!!

The Danish Pastry recipe is in the book, but it starts with what he calls "laminated dough" which is used for croissants, Danish, and other pastries, he says. Laminated refers to the folding and rolling in of the butter in layers. His books are wonderful--I checked many out of the library but settled on this one to buy.

You all just need to come here where there are two bakeries within a 7-minute walk from my house.  The croissants are hot in the morning and again at 4:30 and they always have pastries filled with ham and cheese, chocolate, cream, caramel, and all sorts of fruits.  Not to mention the best crusty rolls ever. And I bet they'd put peeps in anything if I asked nicely.  Which I wouldn't, since Peeps are of the devil. 

No that looks about right. 

On another note, her croissants look kinda burnt.

I guess I'm just not really a pastry person. 

I wondered about that!  The monitor is not calibrated on this laptop, and sometimes I wonder if I'm just going crazy or if things are burnt, images not exposed or color corrected correctly, etc.  And yeah, burnt is unappetizing on croissants.   :ack2:

You all just need to come here where there are two bakeries within a 7-minute walk from my house.  The croissants are hot in the morning and again at 4:30 and they always have pastries filled with ham and cheese, chocolate, cream, caramel, and all sorts of fruits.  Not to mention the best crusty rolls ever. And I bet they'd put peeps in anything if I asked nicely.  Which I wouldn't, since Peeps are of the devil. 

Ooo, field trip!  I did find a croissant shop 45 minutes from us, but I didn't realize they came in so many VARIETIES to make it worth the effort!   :drool5:

Ohh, yes! The reason the chocolate croissants appeal to me so much is that they remind me of what I ate in Europe. Yum!

I've never tasted Peeps and have no desire to start...that said I'm loving the Peeps comments as well as the various suggestions to the OP for croissant fillings. I agree that TJs frozen minis are pretty good, not doughy in the middle at all and the outside shatters nicely when cut, shards of crisp/flaky crust being the tell-tale sign of a good croissant IMO. Those are the kind I grew up with from our tiny little French bakery. TJs choco frozen ones are popular with ds.

I'll second the Reinhart book. My favorite pie crust uses a similar process. It's really not that bad.

Still, I'm really picky when it comes to croissants. There was a brief moment when there was a little bakery whose baker trained out with one of the artisan bakers out west somewhere and she made the most wonderful croissants. They were hands down the best. I haven't had anything like it since unless I make them myself. *sigh*

Okay, so when are the Minis appearing in stores? The commercial is torture and says "coming soon!" My DH has taken to yelling at the TV.

The Peeps Minis should be available after Easter (May 1st) , as it's our entry into year-round snackability.  Personally, I think it's a bad idea, because kind of like Girl Scout Cookies, part of the appeal is their only at Easter time (well, what used to be only at Easter, now it's every holiday.)   But it was the VP of Marketing's decision, not mine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/03/22/peeps-just-born-easter-candy-snacks/6690695/

Why oh WHY did I open this thread?! Makes me want ham and cheese croissants for dinner with chocolate croissants for dessert!!!

ETA: What about some Nutella spread into a warm croissant? Mmm...that would be so good!

Wait..there's something wrong with that meal plan?? 

Let's see… you have a grain, the croissants.  You have protein, the ham and cheese.  You have dairy in the Nutella and cheese.  

If you add in an asparagus spear to the ham & cheese croissant, that'll check the vegetable box…and maybe some bananas or berries with the chocolate croissant….and you'll have a healthy meal.  Well, kind of, sort of. :D

I've had ham and cheese croissants made with the ham and cheese inside, and CostCo croissants with honey-baked ham and a melty cheese added.  I'll take the Costco one with added ham and cheese any day.  I like to melt the cheese onto the middle and then add a thick slice of cold ham.  

My cheese Danishes were absolutely amazing, if I do say so myself. Many, many similar comments from partakers at our church brunch too. I found a blogger who posted the recipe (she made a few changes), so I thought I would post that here. I will definitely do croissants in the future--both ham-and-cheese and chocolate. The dough wasn't really that hard to make, but with the rolling, waiting, rolling waiting...you do need to have several hours at home. If you want the original recipe with the original cheese filling, the lemon hard glaze option (juice of 1/2 lemon instead of apricot preserves), or instructions for smaller Danishes, I highly recommend finding Artisan Breads Every Day. Here's the recipe:

http://www.pink-parsley.com/2011/04/individual-danish-pastries-cream-cheese.html#disqus_thread